• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Update on My Daughter: Teen Challenge Program Acceptance | Chef Success

In summary, Teen Challenge is a wonderful program that helps troubled adolescents. Teen Challenge accepts children who have run away from home and helps them get back on track. The program does not charge families, but they do ask for us to send them whatever amount of monthly upkeep would normally go for Mary. Families are also encouraged to donate money to the program.
nikked
Gold Member
For those of you who have been following our ongoing saga, here's an update...if you want the backstory, please see the following link

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f48/daughter-ran-away-okay-27024/index4.html

It has been an extremely long couple of months, full of lots of heart aches and self-questioning. Everytime I think that maybe Teen Challenge is a little extreme, she pulls another stunt that shows me it's not.

She has been accepted into the program, and will go the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Please continue to pray for all of us. This will be so hard on the little ones (first Daddy gone, then big sister, then she's back, and now she's gone again). For me, I am struggling so much with feeling like a complete and total failure and so guilty for going this route, even though I know it is best. For her, I know a part of her feels like I'm throwing her away, even though deep down she also knows this is best.

Teen Challenge is a wonderful program. The New Mexico Chapter doesn't charge families, but they do ask for us to send them whatever amount of monthly upkeep would normally go for Mary. They also ask any friends and family to donate as well. I wouldn't normally ask this on a board, but I feel like I know so many of you. If you feel led to do a one time or continuing donation, please email me at [email protected], and I will give you the information to send it directly to Teen Challenge. Their website is Home

Thank you so much to all of you for your continued prayers.

The organizations main website is www.teenchallengeusa.com...there's a lot of great information and testimonials there.

Gosh, bless your heart. I can't imagine it all.

You are all in our prayers.

You're in my prayers...and God bless you for being a military wife. My DH is Navy and was in the gulf for 8 months recently. I couldn't imagine him being gone for over a year...you are a very strong woman!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicole~

I pray that God will continue to give you strength to get through this time with your daughter, especially without DH there to support you! I certainly hope that this is the eye opener that she needs...the help she needs...and that some day her life choices will be much better because of this experience she has coming up. Know that God has placed this program here for her to help her out!

Raising kids (especially teens!) is challenging and rewarding....you sure have had enough of the challenging moments recently, huh?

{{{{{Hugs to you and DD}}}}}

I'm sure it will be the best thing in the long run.
I'm happy to see in your sig that you dh gets to come home for Xmas:)

So, here's how things are now...

We (my mom and me) took Mary the Monday after Thanksgiving. It was very hard, but she didn't put up any sort of fuss. I won't be able to speak with her until the 11th, but call every day to check in with the staff. So far, everything is going okay. Which has been hard for me. I almost wish she was fighting harder...

But...

I spoke with the Director yesterday, and she really encouraged. Basically, she said they have seen all this before, and that it will get rougher before it REALLY gets better. She said there are two types that come in...those that are kicking and screaming from the get go, but do better quickly; and those that seem agreeable from the start, and then rebel before really getting down to work. Mary is in the second group.

Your continued prayers are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much, my "online family"!

I know families that have sent their teens to Teen Challenge, and it has changed their lives for the better. I will keep you in my prayers. My husband is Retired AF and served in the Gulf War. I have a step-son over in Baghdad right now, he's part of the surge and has been there since February of 2007. He gave us quite a bit of trouble growing up and my husband and I went through hell with him. I feel your pain, so know that you are in my prayers, and so is your hubby! May you be blessed for your sacrifice, and please thank your husband for me- for all he's done to keep us safe! :)

Thank you so much, Kitchen Diva. Words of encouragement mean so much to us right now.

Nikki - Hang in there! I hope you are doing o.k. with all the young ones and without her at home. No matter how much of a rebel she was being, I can't imagine leaving my baby like that either. I hope the program helps her.

(Oh and need to see DH gets to visit at Christmas!!!!)

Just keep praying and saying " You can't do anything that will stop me from loving you" I've had to say and pray that MANY times! I know how hard this is for you but lean on Jesus and He will see you through.

Prayers for all of you ~ hoping for the best outcome!

Update...Well, what was probably inevetable finally happened, and Mary was dismissed from Teen Challenge last Wednesday. We are in state a flux, and just need a lot of prayers. The reasons are vague, and she was dismissed while the Director was gone. I don't know that it would have happened if the Director had been present. I'm just not sure...

Regardless, Mary is home. I have an appointment for a psychiatric evaluation 2 weeks from today (the earliest I could get), and for now we are just taking things one day at a time.

I specifically am asking for prayer for wisdom and discernment for myself, and peace for Tony (who is in Iraq until July). This has been EXTREMELY hard for him, and just keeps getting harder.

Of course, if God leads your prayers in another direction, follow...the above items are what are on my heart right now.

Thanks for all your support and concern over the past difficult year. Tony is home in now less than 100 days, thank God!!!

Nicole...

I pray that God's hand is over this entire situation. He knew she was coming home, so I trust that there is a reason for that. I pray that she can continue to get the help she needs (even at home with therapy) and that God guides you to make the best decisions. I pray for a peace in ALL of your hearts, as this has been difficult on all of you for different reasons. Keep us posted, and I pray that she finds a godly influence around her at home that can help her stay on the right path.

{{{HUGS}}}
Kelly

Sorry to hear Nikki - I hope she got some good help while there though and that the rebellion stops.I pray that you will have strength through this all and can handle it until Tony comes home to help you. I pray that his date will stay firm and he gets home on time!

Oh... my heart hurts for you... I know how hard it is when a child is walking or running down a different path... prayers will continue to be raised for you!

1. What is the Teen Challenge Program?

The Teen Challenge Program is a faith-based, residential program for teenagers struggling with various issues such as addiction, behavioral problems, and academic challenges. It focuses on teaching life skills, character building, and spiritual guidance to help young people overcome their challenges and become productive members of society.

2. How long does the program last?

The program typically lasts 12-18 months, depending on the individual needs of the participant. It includes a combination of classroom instruction, counseling, and practical work experience to help teens develop new behaviors and attitudes.

3. Is the program effective?

Yes, the Teen Challenge Program has a high success rate in helping teenagers overcome their challenges and turn their lives around. According to their website, over 86% of graduates are living successful, drug-free lives and are either employed or enrolled in further education.

4. How can I support my daughter while she is in the program?

The best way to support your daughter while she is in the program is to stay in touch through letters and phone calls. You can also attend family counseling sessions and visit her during designated family days. Additionally, you can pray for her and send care packages with items she may need or enjoy.

5. Can my daughter leave the program if she wants to?

No, the Teen Challenge Program is a voluntary program, but once a participant is accepted, they are expected to complete the program. Leaving without completing the program is strongly discouraged, as it may hinder their progress and make it more challenging for them to succeed in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MissChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • pamperedlinda