• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

United Way Expo/Bazaar - Featuring Gifts and Fundraising for a Good Cause

especially given the lack of planning and communication that went into this. Ultimately, it sounds like this may have been a good opportunity for some, but not so much for others.
NooraK
Gold Member
United Way Expo/Bazaar - with pictures of giftsI am SO frustrated right now. As a part of fundraising efforts for United Way, there is supposed to be an Expo at work tomorrow. We have a strict no solicitations policy, and outside of events like this, there is extremely little I can do to promote my business at work (I even have to be careful about talking to hosts and answering questions). Up until about a year ago, I wasn't even allowed to participate in these events because I am an employee, so when these types of opportunities come up, I practically jump at them.

Here's my problem: there has been absolutely zero advertisement for the event. I got a heads up about the event before it was announced, and talked to the person in charge, because the cost was a bit more than I really wanted to spend, and I'd had a somewhat disappointing result at the previous event, which I felt was partly attributed to the lack of advertising. He assured me there would be more about this one since it was for United Way (which is a big deal each year), and they would put out communications featuring the vendors and everything. Now it's the day before, and the only thing I have seen is emails directed at potential vendors that the money was due on Friday. No signs on the doors, no emails directed at potential customers. And to top it off, there was an email in my inbox on Friday about a bake sale that another department is apparently doing in the same space :eek: (apparently there was a snafoo in the scheduling, don't know what the end result is).

Now, the manager I work most closely with (not my manager) was delegated with being in charge of the Expo. He was out on vacation at the beginning of the month, and then he was out sick 22-24 of October. I went to him about the bake sale email on Friday, but he was leaving half-day, and sent a very quick email to the two Admins in our area to send out an email and put flyers on the doors. One of those Admins was not in on Friday, and isn't here again this morning. The manager who I spoke to on Friday, isn't here. The person I spoke to when I first wanted to take part isn't here. My best friend is in charge of United Way for the whole site this year, and she told me to remind her when she comes in today at 1, and she'll get something out. I reached out to the other admin today, and her response was "I'll see what I can do."

I'm ready to just about cry. :cry: I want to participate. I've put together items to put on display (some of you may have seen pictures on my FB). My recruit is coming for half of the time to the booth. I'm just really concerned that I'm not going to get my money out of this.

Now I am going to cry!!!! :cry::cry::cry:

I just got an email saying the Expo has been canceled.

:cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
I'm so sorry, Noora! Sounds like really poor (as in non-existent) planning from the organizers.

And your gifts sets & ideas are so beautiful...I feel so bad for you!

What a major bummer! I don't know how your organization gets any work done b/c it sounds like no one is ever there, betw. vacations, out sick, leaving early, coming in late... Time to look for a job elsewhere?

Maybe they can do something the Tues. before Tgiving when people are more in a shopping mindset and aren't as focused on getting work done, though many may have left town already. If you're proactive about getting it rescheduled and stay on top of the publicity, it could be worth it for you. Take charge, take action!

Well, I went to talk to the person who had originally started to organize the event. Apparently the cancellation isn't his fault, or even the fault of the person who was supposed to put up advertising and such. The Site Leader had (on Friday of last week) decided he needed to investigate more into whether this was an allowable event because the vendors would be profiting from it. He of course found out it wasn't, and instead of deciding to go ahead and taking a slap on the wrist and never doing it again, he decided to cancel at the last minute.

I spent some money on decorations, but I can take some of it back. Some vendors though were planning to do food. They've probably spent the weekend prepping, and probably spent hundreds of dollars on food that they can't return.

As for the competency of the organization... well, I do wonder about it, but it's a multi-billion dollar international corporation, so I suppose some parts can keep the business running even if these people can't get the expo organized. But I do want to step up my PC business so I don't have to keep coming here.

Here are some pictures:

Full%20Table.JPG

MMs.JPG

M&Ms in Prep Bowls. Would look better with green and red M&Ms, but they didn't have them out yet.

Trifle.JPG

Fabric pointsettia with wrapping paper lining the bowl.

Hot%20Chocolate.JPG

Small Bamboo Spoons dipped in chocolate, Dots Coffee & More cup, popcorn and hot chocolate packets

Cookbook.JPG

29 Minutes to dinner and Southwestern, Asian and Italian Seasonings

DCB%20and%20Trivet.JPG

DCB and RUFTH Trivet

Brownies.JPG

Brownie mix in Classic Batter Bowl and Small Mix 'N Scraper

Skillett.JPG

12" Executive Skillet and Bamboo Spatula Set

Great pictures! I do want to add though that this is the very reason I try to not put too much time, effort and money into any booth. You never know what you will get out of it and you never know if you'll get back the money you spent. Sorry this happened to you. These could be great sets that you could take to your shows.

My original plan was to return some of the things, and re-purpose some of them to my own christmas gifts and such. It was just the peak of a very frustrating situation. Conicidentally, we will be having a cluster meeting Tuesday night, and we've been asked to bring gift ideas. It was all going to be packed in my car anyway...

1. What is the purpose of the United Way Expo/Bazaar?

The United Way Expo/Bazaar is an annual event organized by the United Way organization to raise funds for various community programs and services. It also serves as a platform to showcase and support local businesses and vendors.

2. When and where will the United Way Expo/Bazaar take place?

The dates and location of the United Way Expo/Bazaar vary each year, but it is typically held in the fall season. You can check the United Way website or social media pages for the most updated information.

3. How can I participate as a vendor at the United Way Expo/Bazaar?

If you are interested in being a vendor at the United Way Expo/Bazaar, you can contact the United Way organization directly or check their website for vendor application forms and guidelines. Spaces are limited and are usually filled on a first-come, first-served basis.

4. Are there any fees for attending the United Way Expo/Bazaar?

There may be a small entrance fee for attendees, but it is typically free for children under a certain age. As for vendors, there is usually a participation fee that goes towards supporting the United Way's programs and services.

5. Can I volunteer at the United Way Expo/Bazaar?

Yes, the United Way welcomes volunteers to help with various tasks during the Expo/Bazaar. You can contact the United Way organization or sign up on their website to learn more about volunteer opportunities and requirements.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MaggieChef13
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
MaggieChef13
  • leshelman
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
JennyJennJen
  • byrd1956