• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Understanding Normal Discoloration on SS Cookware | Tips & Advice

I don't think the SS cleaner is necessary though.Copper on stainless steel? That doesn't sound good. Call HO and have it replaced.
hollye44
What is normal for discoloration on the SS cookware? My SS pan is fine so I don't have any point of reference for this, but I have a host who just got the whole set and her 10" saute pan has turned a "coppery" color on the inside after its first use. She toasted walnuts in it. Maybe the oils from them did this? She tried the vinegar soak as sugessted in the Use and Care guide and it did not help at all. Anyway, I saw it myself today and I think the color change is significant. I told her the SS cleaner may be needed, but I would check to see if this type of discoloration is normal. The other pans she has used so far are fine. She is not upset, I think just bummed out maybe that her new pretty SS discolored so quickly. What do you all think? Advice?

It might be oxidation. It is suggested that you coat SS cookware with oil and heat on the stovetop for a bit (cool then clean) before your first use of cooking any food. This helps to prevent oxidation. I don't own PC SS set so I don't know if that is listed in the instructions. Other than that, I have no clue :confused:

Tell her to use SS cleaner on it, that should get it like new again. If that doesn't work call HO and have it replaced.

High heat will also cause them to discolor. They should be used on medium-high, at the highest. The SS cleaner should help take away the discoloration.

A host used mine to toast nuts and it discolored. I used the SS cleaner and it looks brand new again.

This shouldn't happen - they are supposed to be heat resistant to 500 degrees right??? I haven't had a problem with mine but don't really use it. pref exec

They're oven safe to 500. But the heat of a burner on high is higher than that, and is more concentrated, aimed directly at the bottom of the pan. It's like the difference between being in your living room with the furnace on, and sitting 2 inches from a fire in the fireplace.

My pots have all done this to me as well, it's so copper that you almost wouldn't know it was stainless steel. I used the stainless cleaner and had to do several applications but it does look better now.

1. What causes discoloration on stainless steel cookware?

Discoloration on stainless steel cookware is typically caused by overheating the pan, using harsh cleaning products, or cooking acidic foods for extended periods of time.

2. Can discoloration on stainless steel cookware be removed?

Yes, discoloration on stainless steel cookware can often be removed by using a gentle abrasive cleaner or a mixture of baking soda and water. It may take some scrubbing and multiple attempts, but the discoloration should eventually fade.

3. Will discoloration affect the performance of my cookware?

Discoloration on stainless steel cookware does not typically affect its performance. However, if the discoloration is accompanied by scratches or pits, it may impact the pan's ability to evenly distribute heat.

4. How can I prevent discoloration on my stainless steel cookware?

To prevent discoloration, avoid overheating the pan and use gentle cleaning products. Also, try to avoid cooking acidic foods for extended periods of time and use lower heat settings when cooking.

5. Is discoloration covered under the Pampered Chef warranty?

Discoloration on stainless steel cookware is not covered under the Pampered Chef warranty. However, if the discoloration is due to a defect in the product, it may be covered. Contact our customer service team for more information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
millthayer
  • lindy0116
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
Replies