• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ugh!!! I Need a New Vacuum!!!!!

In summary, the vacuum cleaner that the two people are recommending is the Oreck. The person who has it loves it and it has lasted them for a long time. The person who is thinking of buying one also recommends the Oreck.
pampchefrhondab
I'm so mad!! :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: My vacuum is only 1 1/2 years old and already burnt up!!! It is from Sears. The warranty is 1 year!!!!:eek: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

Anyone have any suggestions on a new one? There is no way I'm buying one from Sears!!

I bought a Dyson vaccuum cleaner at Best Buy about 2 years ago and I love it. It does a great job. I also bought the extra warranty since I paid so much for it.

I have a Regina that I have had for 3 years. It's great (not that I use it all that often- LOL)

I do house cleaning and we use a Tri-Star. We bought our's used as they are over $2000 new. We paid $400 and we love it. When you buy it new it has a lifetime warrenty. When you clean 2 houses everyday you need something that's going to be good and last.

I had a Hoover and it sucked...well actually it didn't, that was the problem!

I have an Electrolux now that I got on clearance at Sears that works GREAT! Nothing like the old Electrolux vacuums but still good.

I have a Dyson Animal...and :love: it!!! With two dogs (both who like to shed), a super mobile baby, and lots of traffic in and out of the house - we need a good vacuum. It is fantastic!! :)

love my rainbow----

I got a "cheap" Bissel from WalMart 4 years ago (around $70). Never have a problem, love it because it's bagless and you just empty out the container every time.

I do have to say that this thread brings back memories of my mom selling Kerby vacuums when I was little. In fact my sister still had hers until last year when she traded up for a Dyson.

I have an Oreck and LOVE it. I've had it for over 10 years with zero problems. Still works as great as the day I got it.

I'm thinking about a Dyson - they have them on HSN on 5 easy payments which would help:)!

One states it is for all floors the other smaller one doesn't. Any ideas what the difference is? I'm going on little sleep and fighting a nasty virus so it's too hard for my brain tonight!

I third the Oreck, I love it!!

Oreck here, too. My only complaint is that the bags are (apparently) proprietary to Oreck and are very pricey. (If anyone knows a cheaper source of bags, I'm all eyes.) I also have a ShopVac, which is probably a little too large for the house but, I swear, that thing could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

I have a Eureka from walmart and I love it. I run the sweeper about 4 times a day. I have a 7 month old, 2 two year olds, a 9 and 12 year old and a pig for a DH.

slj1229 said:
I have a Eureka from walmart and I love it. I run the sweeper about 4 times a day. I have a 7 month old, 2 two year olds, a 9 and 12 year old and a pig for a DH.
I thought that was illegal in most states.

:D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oreck here, too. My only complaint is that the bags are (apparently) proprietary to Oreck and are very pricey. (If anyone knows a cheaper source of bags, I'm all eyes.)

I also have a ShopVac, which is probably a little too large for the house but, I swear, that thing could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

What model do you have KG?

My mom (the queen of bargain shopping) got mine at half the normal price from a company that just deals with them. I'll check with her on the company name/website for you.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oreck here, too. My only complaint is that the bags are (apparently) proprietary to Oreck and are very pricey. (If anyone knows a cheaper source of bags, I'm all eyes.) ......
Me too! I have the Iron Man Cannister.....Love it for my hardwood floors!

KG - Talked to mom, wasn't a website, it was a store on Greenfield Avenue in West Allis...she believes the store name was Singer (you'd think they sold sewing machines instead). They probably don't have them cheaper, but maybe...

love my oreck, and I totally abuse it!! But it's lite, long cord, and what ever breaks is fixed for 21years. but also agree bags are pricey.

I just got a Dyson for xmas and I LOVE IT! i have two dogs, two cats, a toddler and husband (who's messiest! lol) and it picks up EVERYTHING, it's kinda scary to see what it picked up the first few times, i use it every single day and it even works great on my hardwood floors

I just posted love my oreck, forgot to say, before oreck I was replacing every two years.

pamperedlinda said:
Me too! I have the Iron Man Cannister.....Love it for my hardwood floors!
I've got the attachment that shifts brushes up and down for carpets and hardwood floors. I've also got the funny attachment that has a tube and a whirling brush for walls and ceilings. It makes a weird whistling noise but it's very effective.

I have a dyson animal. LOVE IT! really easy to empty and bagless. Kinda gross how much you pick up when you get a new vacume though

I have a Hoover Widepath Tempo. Consumers Reports recommended. It cleans the air while it vacuums. Bought it on Amazon. Needs more attachments which can be purchased from Hoover or a vacuum store. Uses a bag. Under $100. May be available from Walmart, but I don't shop there.

Dyson, Dyson, Dyson! That is all I have to say. We're in the midwest, and took advantage of the 30 month no interest at Nebraska Furniture Mart. We also have a dog that sheds like crazy. It is wonderful and worth every penny!

Dyson animal, love it!! Works great! I love having no bags.

I have an Oreck and love it. I keep the one piece up stairs where I have carpet, and the smaller hand held I use for my hardwoods which are mostly downstairs. I love the attachments too.

Havent had to change the bags yet, but I will keep it in mind that they are pricey or only exclusive to oreck.

We own a multi line store & an Oreck store. At our multi line store we have hoover, eureka (which now goes by electroux), rainbow, kirby, dirt devil, etc. The old electroux now goes by the name aerus, just so those who know the rep of the old electroux don't think that is what their getting at Wal-Mart or Target. You can go into a local oreck store & compare the dyson vs oreck. All stores are suppose to have a new dyson in stock so you can see the two work side by side. To clean carpet good you need good agitation/vibration to get the dirt loose & good air flow to pick it up. Oreck's brushroller has more bristles than any other brand & turns twice the rpms of any other brand. Then the oreck automatically adjusts to the proper height so there is no human error in having it too low or too high. Most people think lower to the carpet is better when in all acutallity to low will cut off the air flow & then your just beating the carpet. All vacuums that have a rubber belt meaning not a cog belt needs the belt to be changed about every 90days. Pretty much nobody realizes this fact. If you never use a vacuum the belt still will stretch b/c it is being stretched & loosing it elasticity which means the brushroller won't turn like it should which means the vacuum won't pick up like it should. Now as far as bags most people feel the Oreck bags are expensive but what you need to remember is that each bag has an 8qt capacity & is a hypo allergenic filtration bag & there are 8 to a pkg of the style you use in the current models. There is also an odor fighting bag you can use too. Any time you go to look for a vacuum check out the brushroller that is one of the main components to good cleaning. I am going to have to start another reply b/c I am running out of space.

The dyson is european design meaning there isn't much to the brushroller & that is b/c carpet isn't big in Europe so their not worried about the brushroller. But if any questions between the oreck & dyson really go to the store & see the two work side by side.
Now most people like tools on board their vacuum. What you need to keep in mind with that is to have both good carpet cleaning & good tools you need a two motor system & those will be heavier. Suction is what you need for your tools & airflow/agitation is what cleans carpet & those two are different things. That is why oreck has the small canister that goes w/the upright when you purchase them. You need both to clean the best. Eureka (electrolux) & Hoover both make small canisters too for that purpose but vacuums are fads meaning they make what people want at the time. So that is why tools on board are seen on almost all units now a days. As far as the bagless idea what you need to remember is that the canister that catches the dirt that you empty from has seals/gaskets to seal off. Those will wear over time & you will have leakage. Plus when you dump it the dirt does come back at you period. A bag system is the best no matter what unit you go with. All units have maintance that needs to be performed but most don't do anything. Most manufactures recommend servicing your unit once a year - seldom do people really do that. Its just like your car - you need to go in have it checked out cleaned & any seals or gaskets replaced & your belt (if you don't do it like you should). On warranty all manufactures only cover manufacture defect. To be cont....

Warranty does not cover wear items such as belts, light bulbs, brushrollers etc nor does it cover misuse or abuse such as running over your cord & cutting it or picking up a screw or penny & breaking the fan blades. The only units that you won't have to worry about that problem is bypass units such as the panasonic (which we also carry). Anytime any of you notice your vacuum is making a louder than usual noise you need to take it in & have it looked at b/c....if you get a nick or break in a fan blade the fan will run "off" instead of smooth & the longer you run it this way the more damage you will do meaning your motor will eventually be burned up. If your unit is spiting dirt out instead of picking it up then it is probably clogged - again not manufacture defect you picked up something you shouldn't have such as a toothpick, price tag, toy, receipt, sock...I've seen it all. At Christmas time is when alot of people have issues b/c they are picking up pine needles which are trouble for just about all units. If your unit isn't picking up & you've gone over & over the dirt then BIG sign you need to change your belt. Just b/c it is still on your unit doesn't mean it is still good it just means you haven't broken it - they stretch & stop turning the brushroller. You can turn your unit over & the brushroller is turning but put it on the carpet & it will slow or stop turning all together.
Check when buying regarding the warranty - who is going to perform the service & where. Also, see how much common items will cost you. Some dyson when the belt is worn out you have to repleace a section not just the belt & some of those can cost up to $80. An up side w/ Oreck is most come with tune ups/services - you bring them in once a year & get them serviced for no charge. Each unit has different years. The best is 21yr warranty & 21 yearly services - then 10yr warranty/service - 7yr warrany/serivce & 5yr warranty 3 yr service.
As far as what unit is best for you that is up to you. It is a personal preference. Some people love canister style units & some uprights. I am an upright person hate canisters. You need to get what you like b/c if you don't like it or it is a pain to use then your not going to want to clean very often & it is going to be a worse chore than normal. People will come in here & say their rainbow is great BUT it is a pain to use with the water & bulkyness/weight so they want an Oreck for regualar cleanings when they don't feel like getting their rainbow out. Some people have bought a dyson & thought they loved it but now hate it & want an Oreck. Some people on the Orecks use their canister more than the upright & some use the upright more than the canister. Some people swear by the canister that comes w/the upright that it is the best thing ever then some think it is horrible. All personal opinion. Also, on Orecks there are no real "specials" they always are the same price year round UNLESS they are selling a refurbished unit which no canister comes with or they are selling just the upright only as a "special". The tv deals & online deals are the same in the stores.
Also on power - the vacuum cleaner industry will not get together & come up with a rating system on the motors b/c that would hurt most. Anytime your taking amps or watts what your saying is how much electricity is being used. It is not a truth that bigger number always means a bigger motor. In oreck the top of the line unit XL21 cleans twice better than the one below it but the motor is a high effeciency larger motor & is 3.5amps the models below it are all 4amps. The motors need to have good power but also be effecient. I think I'm spelling that way wrong-not my strong suit. So don't be fooled by amps & watts. Also, watch vac salesmen. They usually sell what makes them the most money & therefore tell you that is the best unit in their store. The oreck store is not making us rich period - our other brand lines make more money but we tell it like it is - you want cheap we have cheap you want good we have good. We have people tell us what they want then show them what would be the best for what they are asking for & also tell them what would be the best but isn't what they are looking for. You either want the best vacuum for your situation or you want the best vacuum for your criteria. A canister style vacuum is NOT the best for cleaning carpet, BUT if that is what you want we can show you what will do the best in canisters but not best cleaning for your carpet. Hope that makes sense. I have written alot everyone is probably rolling their eyes & saying enough already. If you have any questions feel free to email me! Ohhhhh, also if you have frieze carpet that is a different animal & not all units can clean that carpet it all depends on the length. AND another "trick" some will try on you is the vacuum w/your unit then w/my unit. NO vacuum will get ALL the dirt in anyones carpet period. You can vacuum with a Kirby then a Dyson then an Oreck then a Hoover & all will pick something up. No unit will get all the dirt no matter what anyone tells you. Thanks, thats all folks!

Kasey - I have to say that is the most detailed information on vacuums in my life. :)

Kasey...

Thank you very much for your honest (and educated!) feedback!

I learned a lot from your posts...thanks!

WOW:eek: !! Lots of good information!!

I have an Orek and love it!!

pampchefrhondab said:
I'm so mad!! :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: My vacuum is only 1 1/2 years old and already burnt up!!! It is from Sears. The warranty is 1 year!!!!:eek: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

Anyone have any suggestions on a new one? There is no way I'm buying one from Sears!!
I bought a Dyson about 3 years ago...maybe it's been 4 now- I don't remember. We have dogs and a cat, and I tell you what- that purple vacuum is the best $400.00 we have ever spent! I LOVE IT!

We stopped buying appliances from Sears- it isn't worth the hassle- If you call the HO (Sear's HO) they may help you out if you squeak long and loud enough in a nice manner... :) (I used to manage a Sears- they want happy customer's, so log onto their website, and find an 800 number to call and complain. Just remember that they'll be more likely to help you if you are really sweet on the phone. I've helped friends get returns, etc by sharing this info, and I hope it works with you. I wish I had the 800 number, but I don't any more. If I can help in any other way, PM me.

I have a good oh'l Kirby!!! I love it! Great on carpets and tile but you have to turn the roller off to do the tile. The kids got Moon Sand for Xmas and it picks it ALL up even in the grout.

A year ago I bought from Walmart a Bissell Powerforce bagless upright vacuum. I have to say that vacuum works great, I only paid $45.00 for it and it performs better than any vacuum I have ever had. I have a dog that sheds a lot, and that vacuum works like a charm getting the hair up. It's also light, and not very noisey. So my recommendation is the Bissell Powerforce...it's great.

p.s. KG the bags have a patent on them b/c other people were making bags designed to fit but they were making them cheap & the bags would bust b/c of the power of the vacuum & people would get mad b/c their outer bag would be filled w/dirt. People would get mad at us even though it wasn't Orecks fault it was the "cheap" bag they bought. AND if you look at other brand bags qty per pack, dirt capacity & filtration Oreck really isn't out of line in pricing. NOW with that said the owners manual tells you to change the bag once a month - I only change mine when I start to smell the dirt b/c after dirt sits a few months you begin to smell it & it you don't change the bag then the outer bag will absorb that smell & you will have to treat the outer bag to get rid of the smell. :) BUT I have some people that will use one bag all year long - STINKY!!!! I have one here now & I'm about to gag!

About the Sears brand - anything kenmore or their private label is made by whatever manufacture won their bid that year. So, eureka hoover ect

So, eureka, hoover or whoever makes their vacuums for them.

we bought my mom a dyson animal dc07 for xmas and i spent the entire day vacuuming. i couldn't stop!! it was so disgusting, but amazing at the same time. we got it at bed, bath and beyond with the 20% off coupon, so we saved $100. it also comes with a 3 year warranty.

Wow, thank you everyone for the advice. Kayse your info. was great!

My husband called the manufacturer today (the number was on the unit). He told them the symptoms and they said they were going to UPS us a new motor for FREE:)! They said it sounds like the motor burnt up. They lady said she wasn's suppose to, but she would (I'm sure it was my husband's charm!). My husband took it apart today so he would know how to put the new motor in when it arrives.

Since I won't have a vacuum for a week or so I went to Target today to find a small one to have in the meantime (my husband wanted to borrow his Grandmother's, but she would just put him to work if he went over there!!) I found a Dirt Devil Easy Vac on clearance for $35. I wanted something I could use for quick jobs after my large vacuum is working again. I used it tonight and I must say it did a GREAT job. It picked up a ton of dirt and pet hair. It is bagless, which was kinda messy to empty out, but nice not to have to buy bags. I did have a rechargeable Shark, but the battery died so quickly. This small vac uses a cord.

I do like my canister vac from Sears. What I like the most is how easy it is to get under and around things, but my favorite is how it has a quick release for the hose so I can run it along the walls, and how I can switch to floors for my kitchen.

After your advice Kayse I will highly consider an Oreck. I do like that they are made in the US. Both of my sisters have one and they love them.

Thanks again everyone. I will let you know if the new motor works when it arrives. I'm not out of the woods yet!

I also am in the market for a new vacuum. We just threw out ours from Sears (Kenmore) after having it for a year. That is the 2nd withing 4 years. I have bad allergies & my son has severe allergies & asthma so I need something that will really help us out. I have been checking them out online. Is the Oreck good for that? I am seriously thinking of having a central vacuum installed.

pampchefrhondab said:
Wow, thank you everyone for the advice. Kayse your info. was great!

My husband called the manufacturer today (the number was on the unit). He told them the symptoms and they said they were going to UPS us a new motor for FREE:)! They said it sounds like the motor burnt up. They lady said she wasn's suppose to, but she would (I'm sure it was my husband's charm!).
My husband took it apart today so he would know how to put the new motor in when it arrives.

Since I won't have a vacuum for a week or so I went to Target today to find a small one to have in the meantime (my husband wanted to borrow his Grandmother's, but she would just put him to work if he went over there!!) I found a Dirt Devil Easy Vac on clearance for $35. I wanted something I could use for quick jobs after my large vacuum is working again. I used it tonight and I must say it did a GREAT job. It picked up a ton of dirt and pet hair. It is bagless, which was kinda messy to empty out, but nice not to have to buy bags. I did have a rechargeable Shark, but the battery died so quickly. This small vac uses a cord.

I do like my canister vac from Sears. What I like the most is how easy it is to get under and around things, but my favorite is how it has a quick release for the hose so I can run it along the walls, and how I can switch to floors for my kitchen.

After your advice Kayse I will highly consider an Oreck. I do like that they are made in the US. Both of my sisters have one and they love them.

Thanks again everyone. I will let you know if the new motor works when it arrives. I'm not out of the woods yet!
Tell him to make sure he doesn't wire it up backwards. When he's done, it should suck, not blow.

Hehehehehehe

It's Mega Maid! She's gone from suck to blow!(Thanks for the set-up, KG. :) )

jetcitysandy said:
I bought a Dyson vaccuum cleaner at Best Buy about 2 years ago and I love it. It does a great job. I also bought the extra warranty since I paid so much for it.
I LOVE:love: my Dyson...I don't think I'll ever own another one. The movers literally crushed my 1st one:eek: (we bought the original one with tax refund $$ like the 1st year they came out) so we purchased a new one after the movers smooshed it. I've seen the Rainbow and Kirby demos but I'd still take the Dyson. All the parts come apart easily so I can clean it well (and easy to put back together), it is bagless, and it leaves my carpets very fluffy (good as they are old and we have pets). Also, to be honest I rarely use a broom any more since it has a bare floor setting. :D

stacywhitlow said:
I also am in the market for a new vacuum. We just threw out ours from Sears (Kenmore) after having it for a year. That is the 2nd withing 4 years. I have bad allergies & my son has severe allergies & asthma so I need something that will really help us out. I have been checking them out online. Is the Oreck good for that? I am seriously thinking of having a central vacuum installed.

A central vac system is the best for anyone with allergies b/c it takes all the stuff out to the tank which people usually put in the garage. We sell those too. When my dad bought our 2nd house in the 80's he had our guys install one. It is easier for them to install them during construction BUT they can still be done in a home after the fact just a little more work. The only thing I didn't like about the central vac is the LONG hose. It is good b/c you can go forever without pluging into a new outlet but it isn't fun winding back up to store away. Also, they have a "sock" for the hose so it will keep it from scratching your walls when going around a corner or something like that. I like the idea of the kick opening for the kitchen. It is something installed under the cabinets & you can sweep everything to that spot & "kick" it to open & it will suck it up. Some people aren't as impressed that have them but I think its neat. The Orecks do have hypo allergenic units & HEPA units both great for allergies. You for sure want a unit w/a bag to help cut down on as much dirt as possible coming back out into the air. You know most people say vacuum first dust 2nd & that is b/c so many unit put out so much dust while running. Also, Oreck has air purifiers that I nor my dad nor my boyfriends family can live w/out. My dad gets allergy shots twice a week & has the tower units in his bedroom & movie room (large theater like screen he watches tv on w/his theater drapes to keep all the light out...typical male). The need to run 24/7 in the room you want the air cleaned in - no unit will clean your entire house unless you get a system hooked directly to your heat & air system. My dad keeps his bedroom door closed 24/7 so he gets a satruated clean air in there. One night not having his air purifier on while sleeping & he will wake up the next morning all stopped up. When people bring them in for service/cleaning & come back to pick them up they say they didn't realize how much difference the air purifier made until they had to be with out it. So you might want to look into that too. We have some that are remanufactured that run $184.98 w/a 1year warranty - another is new 3yr warranty $299.97 & the third table top unit is also 3yr warranty for $349.95 there is also a tower that is $599.95. The good thing with the air purifers (like the vacuums) you can buy & in 30days if you don't like it you can take it back for a full refund. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I just bought an Infinity 24 Cyclone bagless. I got it on Overstock.com for $119 w/free shipping. They are $220 at Target. I have only had it a month but so far I love it. I sucks great (sounds kind of wierd :)). I wanted a Dyson, but we just can not afford $400+ right now. It was defanitely worth the $119 I paid for it. Try looking on ebay to, I was going to get one off of there but then found it on overstock. Good luck!!

<h2>1. Can I get a refund or replacement for my burnt-out vacuum? </h2><p>Unfortunately, since the warranty for your vacuum is only for 1 year, it is unlikely that you will be able to get a refund or replacement from Sears. However, you may want to contact their customer service department to see if they can offer any solutions or discounts for a new vacuum.</p><h2>2. What is the average lifespan of a vacuum cleaner?</h2><p>The average lifespan of a vacuum cleaner can vary depending on the brand, usage, and maintenance. However, most vacuums can last anywhere from 5-10 years with proper care and regular maintenance.</p><h2>3. What should I look for when buying a new vacuum?</h2><p>When looking for a new vacuum, some important factors to consider include suction power, filtration system, attachments and accessories, and the type of flooring in your home. It's also helpful to read reviews and compare prices to find the best option for your needs.</p><h2>4. Can you recommend any specific brands or models of vacuums?</h2><p>At Pampered Chef, we do not sell vacuums, so we cannot recommend specific brands or models. However, some well-known and reputable vacuum brands include Dyson, Shark, and Miele.</p><h2>5. Is it worth investing in a more expensive vacuum?</h2><p>While it may be tempting to opt for a cheaper vacuum, investing in a higher quality and more expensive vacuum can often pay off in the long run. These vacuums tend to have better suction power, longer lifespans, and more advanced features that can make cleaning easier and more efficient.</p>

Related to Ugh!!! I Need a New Vacuum!!!!!

1. Can I get a refund or replacement for my burnt-out vacuum?

Unfortunately, since the warranty for your vacuum is only for 1 year, it is unlikely that you will be able to get a refund or replacement from Sears. However, you may want to contact their customer service department to see if they can offer any solutions or discounts for a new vacuum.

2. What is the average lifespan of a vacuum cleaner?

The average lifespan of a vacuum cleaner can vary depending on the brand, usage, and maintenance. However, most vacuums can last anywhere from 5-10 years with proper care and regular maintenance.

3. What should I look for when buying a new vacuum?

When looking for a new vacuum, some important factors to consider include suction power, filtration system, attachments and accessories, and the type of flooring in your home. It's also helpful to read reviews and compare prices to find the best option for your needs.

4. Can you recommend any specific brands or models of vacuums?

At Pampered Chef, we do not sell vacuums, so we cannot recommend specific brands or models. However, some well-known and reputable vacuum brands include Dyson, Shark, and Miele.

5. Is it worth investing in a more expensive vacuum?

While it may be tempting to opt for a cheaper vacuum, investing in a higher quality and more expensive vacuum can often pay off in the long run. These vacuums tend to have better suction power, longer lifespans, and more advanced features that can make cleaning easier and more efficient.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
cmdtrgd
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
Admin Greg