• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Turtle Skillet Cake Question...

In summary, the speaker has made a cake with a topping that she liked but was not impressed with the cake itself. She is considering adding a box of vanilla pudding and an extra egg to the cake mix to make it denser and moister, and wants to know if she should try it out beforehand or just go for it at her show. Other speakers suggest going ahead with the change and using the show as a test run, while also giving suggestions for other products to showcase during the baking process. One speaker also mentions having previously done this at shows and having success with it.
AnnieBee
Gold Member
OK, so I made this the other day in preperation for a show, and liked the topping, but was underwhelmed by the cake itself. Just kind of fluffy and nothingy (to me).

The other day I posted a recipe for a cranberry and orange skillet cake that used a regular cake mix but with a box of vanilla pudding and an extra egg. The cake came out a bit denser and moister, and I reallt liked it. So, I'm thinking of doing the same thing for the trurtle cake. So my silly question is, should I just go ahead and do this at my show, or should I test it out again before hand, which I really don't want to do...

Any thoughts or comments...?

Annabel...what you are suggesting WILL work, and it will make it taste better...denser and more moist. I ALWAYS add a small box of pudding and an extra egg to boxed cake mixes. I don't think you need to test it!

LOL - I'm always using guests at shows as my guinea pigs!:chef:

So - I say Go For It!

AnnieBee said:
OK, so I made this the other day in preperation for a show, and liked the topping, but was underwhelmed by the cake itself. Just kind of fluffy and nothingy (to me).

The other day I posted a recipe for a cranberry and orange skillet cake that used a regular cake mix but with a box of vanilla pudding and an extra egg. The cake came out a bit denser and moister, and I reallt liked it. So, I'm thinking of doing the same thing for the trurtle cake. So my silly question is, should I just go ahead and do this at my show, or should I test it out again before hand, which I really don't want to do...

Any thoughts or comments...?

When do you make your cake? I have my host prepare the batter before I arrive. The first thing I do is put it in her oven while I am setting up.

Thanks Kelly and Becky! I felt silly asking the question, I'm a confident baker, but I just thought I'd better check before doing it at a show without doing it at home first. I've only ever made two skillet cakes, so I thought I'd better check just in case there was some reason that I hadn't thought of to not just do it the way I was planning on. OK, that was not very concise! Anyway, thanks!

Collen, this will be my first time doing a skillet cake at a show! I'm planning on doing it as an interactive demo, and then I'll talk more while it's in the oven. Unfortunately it doesn't use tons of products, so I might try to think of a way to show a few more.

Any ideas ladies!? Becky, I know you've done this at shows before :)

I've never done this show, but for the lunch hour show that I'm doing, I'm making the recipe completely before they arrive and they'll eat while I'm doing a quick demo... I'm planning on having a lime, potato, garlic, a can, and maybe carrot or cuke or zuchini or something... then I'll do like an info-mercial, and demo the UM, chopper, peelers, garlic press, citrus press, Microplane Adjustable Grater, Smooth Edge Can Opener, maybe even have some cheese and do the rotary grinder, and of course, the cutting boards and knives. So, you could do something like that while the cake is baking to show off some other products. I did one another time like this and it was a lot of fun, and the guests and host loved it. Just a thought!

AnnieBee said:
Thanks Kelly and Becky! I felt silly asking the question, I'm a confident baker, but I just thought I'd better check before doing it at a show without doing it at home first. I've only ever made two skillet cakes, so I thought I'd better check just in case there was some reason that I hadn't thought of to not just do it the way I was planning on. OK, that was not very concise! Anyway, thanks!

Collen, this will be my first time doing a skillet cake at a show! I'm planning on doing it as an interactive demo, and then I'll talk more while it's in the oven. Unfortunately it doesn't use tons of products, so I might try to think of a way to show a few more.

Any ideas ladies!? Becky, I know you've done this at shows before :)

I've done this many times - I do it like Colleen, but I bring the cake mix in the batter bowl and I have the host get the rest of the ingredients (carmel sauce, chocolate and I add mixed nuts) When the first guest arrives, I show them how I stick the cake mix with a scaper into the skillet and start my baking - then we things proceed and everyone who walks in loves the smell! We melt the choc. and carmel, take the cake out and let it cool, flip it on the SA round platter, chop the nuts with the food chopper and put it together - if you want you can put coolwhip in the EAD and show that as well - they enjoy and I continue with my fav. products (qsp, forged cutlery etc)

Just like Doreen said...:D

I like doing this demo because it is quick and you are talking about the cookware (high price product). Do the ice cube demo in the 8" saute pan. While I am talking about the food chopper, I have someone try it by chopping the nuts.

When I do this, I demo:

12" skillet
SS Bowl for mixing
Whisk for stirring
Scraper for pouring out
batter bowl for melting chocolate & Caramel
Forged Cutlery knife for chopping chocolate
Cutting Board
small bar pan for toasting pecans
Food chopper - for pecans
Cooling Rack for cake
Hot Pads
spreader
for glaze
Large round SA platter
slice n serve
ice cream scoop
SA appetizer plates
for serving.

I work hard to make sure I am using all of the different product categories!
The key is to talk about every single product used!

1. What is a Turtle Skillet Cake?

A Turtle Skillet Cake is a decadent dessert made with layers of chocolate cake, caramel sauce, and pecans, all baked together in a cast iron skillet.

2. How do I make a Turtle Skillet Cake?

To make a Turtle Skillet Cake, you will need a cast iron skillet, chocolate cake mix, eggs, oil, water, caramel sauce, and chopped pecans. Follow the instructions on the cake mix box to prepare the cake batter. Then, pour half of the batter into a greased skillet and top with a layer of caramel sauce and chopped pecans. Pour the remaining batter on top and bake according to the cake mix instructions. Once done, let it cool before drizzling more caramel sauce and pecans on top.

3. Can I use a different type of cake mix for the Turtle Skillet Cake?

Yes, you can use any type of cake mix you prefer for the Turtle Skillet Cake. However, chocolate cake is recommended as it pairs well with the caramel and pecan flavors.

4. How can I serve the Turtle Skillet Cake?

The Turtle Skillet Cake can be served warm or at room temperature. You can also add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top for an extra indulgent treat.

5. Can I make a Turtle Skillet Cake in advance?

Yes, you can make the Turtle Skillet Cake in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just reheat it in the oven or microwave before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KateInTheKitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefloretta
  • mechelle
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • rajenkiPC