• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Turning a 'No' into a 'Yes': Hosting Tips for Bookings

In summary, the woman had a show last night and only received two bookings. One woman told the host that she wasn't interested and the host was rude about it. The other woman only wanted to book a cooking show, but no one was interested in that either.
Chef Mary Rose
I had a woman host a show last night that I truly thought would finally launch some bookings.

She had around fifteen people - and evidently it was a party before I got there! Lots of laughing, eating, drinking - which is fine by me. I love to see people have a great time! So we settled down, and I did the show. Most of it went well but a few times, people were busy talking with each other, so I had to clear my voice a few times to explain what I was doing. :rolleyes:

The orders look fairly good, so far. I did a door prize and my own incentive for bookings.

My incentive: I made PC cookies and wrapped them in cute gift bags. I had three. I said for those who booked a show that night would get these delicious cookies and I'd share the recipe with them, which was unbelievably easy. (Truly. I looove those cookies!)

Nada. Absolutely nothing. No one came up to ask. No one marked that they were interested on my door prize slips. As a matter of fact, on each slip, they marked "no."

I tried to explain we were heading into a brand new season with great new products. I told them about the host benefits, how their friend would be able to get the host special for that month if they booked a show...yada yada yada.

I just find it so strange that for a houseful of people who were obviously enjoying themselves, enjoyed the recipe I made, seemed interested in many of the products - that NO ONE showed interest in booking a show!

Has anyone ever turned a "no, not interested" from a door slip prize or a show into a yes? How did you do it?

A show I did on the 17th was like that! She had 14 guests, i offered free shipping and no one booked a show!! all the slips had no to everything except for one. i called her a couple of days later and she was like oh i marked yes i meant to mark no and was so completely rude about it. i had nothing until may so i did the 24 in 24. you call everyone and try to book 24 shows in 24 hours. i offered a $50 shopping spree. everyone who booked a show when i called and has the show will be entered into a drawing for that prize. i got 6 shows from it. i did my time frame to wide though i did march through july. i should have done like march and april. there is a post on here about it. good luck! oh and for your question i got one lady that said no to at least do a cooking show b/c she didn't want to have to worry about people at her house.

I did I cooking show (at my church for a fundraiser for a Relay team who will take the free pruoduct value stuff and make a basket to be raffled off) on the 17th also, had 24 people there, and no bookings, well one lady told me the next day in church her future daughter in law wants to have a catalog show. But no one at the show was interested in it also. 75% of the ladies were over 65 years old, while the rest of them were past host anyway.

My director said that I should have been able to get some of those ladies to book - but NO.

~

One idea I picked up from another consultant s an egg basket. Each egg has different "gifts" printed on the paper. Even though they were small they were surprises!! Everyone was curious. You had to book to open an egg!!

Did you personally ASK each guest as they were checking out? I got 7 bookings at my last show and only 2 of them marked Maybe on their draw slip.

I ask everyone regardless of what they mark on the slip.

I don't even do drawing slips at my shows anymore. That way it doesn't give them a chance to say no before hand. If they do say no at checkout when I ask them personally, I make sure to ask them if it's a "No, not now" or a "No, not ever". If it's a "No, not now", I let them know they don't have to set a date right then, just give me a month they might be considering and we can set the date later. I remind them that by them at least giving me a month to work with, their host from that night still gets the monthly host special at their show too. Since I've been doing this, I seem to get at least a few more bookings.

I do use the drawing slips, but I keep them in my purse and use them when I talk to people in the grocery store or where ever. I conveniently don't have a catalog with me, so I ask them for their contact information so I can send them a catalog. It has really seemed to work well lately. I've gotten several new contacts that way.

DebbieJ said:
I ask everyone regardless of what they mark on the slip.
Yep, this is what I do too!!

Mary Rose---It definitely works because I've had many who marked "no" end up hosting. If I can, I do try to look through the drawing slips before I sit down in another room to take orders. Even if I have to run to the bathroom and look. But, I don't necessarily say I've looked at them. Tell people "I haven't had a chance to look through all of those drawing slips yet. You seemed to really have a good time--would you like to get your friends together so I can come cook for all of you? You'd be the first to introduce them to the brand new products!" or something like that. Sometimes I don't even use the word "show" or "party" because some get turned off by that. Or offering to help them stock their kitchen with free and half price products, etc.

It's a bummer when a huge show doesn't lead to any bookings. Believe me, it's happened to me. But, keep in touch with those customers, do "out of the box" calls to make sure they're enjoying everything and you never know when they may like the look of a monthly special and end up booking. Do an email newsletter so they're aware of upcoming specials too.

Good luck to you! Don't get discouraged because it does happen to everyone. Just have lots of fun at your shows and you'll see bookings come out of them!:D

I do use the drawing slips, but I don't even look at them at the show. I ask each person individually at checkout!

By the way, I tend to have the most bookings at my smaller shows and few bookings at my larger ones. It's so funny.

DH and I now joke about it. I'll come home and he'll ask me how many people were there. If I say 12, he'll say "so no bookings, huh?"

I think at smaller shows it's more intimate and it's like you're having a conversation instead of a demonstration, you know? So they like you and want to spend time with you. :)

I have a great new technique that has worked amazingly well. I really pay attention during the show to see who seemed interested. Then I check the survey slips before beginning the checkout. Of course I ask everyone to book, but for those who seemed especially interested, but marked 'no' I say:

"You seemed to really enjoy the show. I am surprised you didn't want to book a show."

I have gotten a ton of bookings with this! LOL. At my last show, I had something like 5 bookings.

hoosierchef said:
I do use the drawing slips, but I don't even look at them at the show. I ask each person individually at checkout!

That's what I was told to - use them - that's how you get the information but leave them in the drawing bowl on the counter so it is OBVIOUS you don't have them at checkout and play "dumb" and ask each one. If you have a big item, say, "did you know you can get this at half price if you host a $300 show...or some variant..." It's fun, it's easy, just ask ______current host______.

I use survey slips, but I ask each person. If they've said no to hosting, I ask them if that means, "not right now" or "Nope! Never! Not on your life!" Sometimes people think saying yes means they have to hold a show in a couple of weeks. This is a way to clarify. It turns a lot of those "no" answers into "call me in a couple of months."

Well, yes you can turn no's into yeses. But, what I've found is custormer service is the best way to go out it. Pick a few people who ordered several items or who commented on many products. Wait about 1-2 weeks after they receive their products and then call to see how they like the items. You might want to start the conversation reminding them how much fun the show was, how great the recipe was and then ask about the product. Give them plenty of time to respond to all your comments. Be sure to ask if you can share with them the up-coming specials and then ask if they would like to take advantage of any of the specials.
Bottomline, if you are not getting bookings at shows, go back and review how you are presenting it. There are lots of fun ways to show the benefits. Just know that everyone has shows that don't respond the way we'd hope. Shake it off, learn from it and move on.....

Deb, I find the same things! I have had several $1000 shows, and not one booking, but at the $400 shows with only 8 people, I get 3 bookings...I think when you get in with what I like to call the "ritzy" crowds, they don't mind spending the money and don't want to be inconvenienced to have a show! I also think that when you go to a bigger show, people say, "I would only invite these people, and they've just been!"

Yeah, and with bigger shows I'm sure there are people thinking that there's no way they could get that many people at a show, or that it's too much work.

Something I learned at a meeting last night and can't wait to try is to really have the host of that party get those bookings for you. Meaning, let your host get the bookings for you. During your prep work, you ask the host if it would be ok that you would ask her some questions about the booking process during your demo. If they are ok with it, in the beginning of the demo you thank the host for having the show and then begin your questions. Ask them things like how easy it was to book, what they are looking forward to getting, etc. LET THE HOST SHARE THEIR STORY WITH THE GUESTS.

I like that idea Jason... I have a show next week that I am going ot have to try that at........ sounds like a really productive way to do it

Thanks for the reminder, Jason! I used to do that, but for some reason got off that bandwagon. I just may have to start doing it again.

Sounds like Patsy put on a great training!

I have 1 catalog show and 1 cooking show booked for March. ( i know, I know) anyway, the cooking show host is a friend and she really want the mandoline, thats why she is hosting in Mar. because she is a friend Im going to ask her to get me 3 bookings outside our church crowd. If she pulls it off I will buy her mandoline for her. I am in need of bookings and she is my last show. I think the $24 is worth 3 bookings.

I try not to even look at their slips... When I remember to ask everyone regardless of what they mark off I almost always get a booking. No usually means "not now" Sometimes "not now" means not in the next 3 weeks... You just never know..... Also alot of times even though I ask people to wait till the end to fill out their slips they do it while I am talking. How do they know for sure if they want to book untill they have heard all the cool stuff PC has to offer!!!

What are some tips for turning a "no" into a "yes" when it comes to booking parties?

1. Start by building a relationship with your potential host. This could be through social media, mutual friends, or other connections. People are more likely to say yes when they feel comfortable and familiar with the person asking.

2. Offer an incentive for booking a party, such as a free product or discount. This can entice people who may have originally said no to reconsider.

3. Show the potential host the benefits of hosting a party, such as earning free products, trying new recipes, and having a fun night with friends.

4. Be persistent, but not pushy. If someone initially says no, follow up with them in a few weeks or months to see if their circumstances have changed or if they have had a change of heart.

5. Remind the potential host that hosting a party is low-pressure and low-commitment. They don't have to do much besides invite their friends and provide a space for the party, making it an easy and stress-free way to earn rewards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• naekelsey
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • danielsdundee
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Jules711
  • milkangel