• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tuesday, July 17 Daily Update (Paige)

including Birgfeld's car and Birgfeld's purse have been located. The recovery foundation set up a search camp along the highway near Whitewater and has been joined by volunteers from all over the region.As of Monday morning, there has been no evidence found to suggest that Birgfeld is deceased but authorities continue to search for any clues that could lead to her whereabouts.Please read this article with caution. Although authorities have not found any evidence that would confirm that Birgfeld is deceased, the search for her has expanded to an entirely different area and is ongoing.
legacypc46
Gold Member
Please read this article with caution....

Note: For a full update, read the various threads from last night (Chef's Lounge). The police are searching the local canal because of a POSSIBLE siting....not a conclusive one.

This morning's GJ Sentinal article:

Canal searched for possible body
Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Authorities searched the Grand Valley Canal around 26 and F 1/2 roads Monday afternoon after a woman reported seeing a part of a body in the water.

Law enforcement personnel did not immediately find any visual evidence of a body, but raced to the scene quickly as the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department enters the third week of searching for missing Grand Junction woman Paige Birgfeld.

Mesa County Sheriff’s Department deputies placed traps to catch a body within two miles downstream of the sighting, which occurred between Seventh Street and 12th Street on the canal. Birgfeld’s home at 2512 Oleaster Court is about two miles downstream from the sighting.

“The reporting person saw something floating,” Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Heather Gierhart said. “Of course, you never know what you could be seeing.”

No evidence was found Monday confirming there was a body in the canal or that another object had been sighted, Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Norma Mestas said.

Meanwhile, about 20 miles southeast on U.S. Highway 50 near Whitewater, up to 40 volunteers searched and found “numerous” items belonging to Birgfeld on an 11-mile stretch of the highway, said director Connie Flukey of the Abby and Jennifer Recovery Foundation.

Searchers with the group based operations Monday out of the Lands End Fire Protection District station, abandoning areas searched over the weekend in a two-mile radius of where Birgfeld’s burned-out car was found in the 700 block of 23 Road.

Flukey, who heads the organization that searches for missing people, said searchers scanned about 20 miles Monday, but more help is needed. She said searchers will probably fan out today on the area’s arterial roads.

“Everything we’ve found is directly about her,” Flukey said. “On most searches we never find anything. This is amazing to be able to help find this stuff.”

Searchers in the mostly flat sagebrush areas flagged possible items of interest for authorities to investigate. Members were tight-lipped about specific items located during the searches.

Gierhart said searchers with the recovery foundation have helped locate evidence more quickly than what the Sheriff’s Department personnel could have done by themselves.

“I think eventually ... we would have made resources available, but it would have taken longer,” she said.

Searchers, some of whom were finishing their third day of searching in blistering heat, were both exhausted and relieved to be finding some of Birgfeld’s belongings along the roadway.

“I think a lot of people think someone else is taking care of everything,” said searcher Andrea Land, a friend of Birgfeld. “We really need more people, retired folks, students, people who work night shifts ...” she said.

“People can just come out and work one shift for one to two hours,” she added.

Searchers can meet at any time between 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. at Lands End Fire Protection District at mile marker 45 on U.S. Highway 50. For information, call Connie Flukey at 260-1821.

Amy Hamilton can be reached via e-mail at [email protected]

Last edited:
Wow. This whole thing is so unbelievable. Still praying............

Bumping with saddness

Praying for Paige and her family...

Remember...this is an UNCONFIRMED report! DO NOT jump to any conclusions!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Remember...this is an UNCONFIRMED report! DO NOT jump to any conclusions!

Thank you for reminding us of this, KG. You're wonderful. :)

Continuing to pray for Paige and her family. I hope the reports are false.

There will be a report about Paige this morning on the Mike and Juliet morning show on Fox (the regular channel, not Fox news). I am not sure if it is on everywhere, but is on in syndication at 9 AM in Atlanta. http://www.mandjshow.com/

As always thank you for posting. Still praying for Paige and her family.

Grande,

Could you possibly map this for us... where the car, where her belongings wer found and this canal... just might help some of us to have a visual. Thanks!

This is from the local nbc affiliate. The highlights are mine. I know it's frustrating to not know what's going on...but I am all for the investigators holding back on just what and how much they know.

Birgfeld Search Expands With Success
Paige Birgfeld, the Grand Junction mother of three, has been missing for two weeks now but there is headway being made in the case as the search for the 34-year-old has expanded to an entirely different area.

The initial search for Birgfeld focused on a five mile radius surrounding her home in Grand Junction but authorities say there was evidence found at the onset of the investigation, which has led searchers to Whitewater and Highway 50 and to results as well.

During the two -week investigation and especially this past weekend, several items of interest were found including a shoe, a checkbook, a Blockbuster Video and insurance cards have all been found along both sides of Highway 50.

The roughly 15 investigators on the case are still determining the meaning of the placement of the evidence, taking into account weather factors such as wind.

But despite the evidence collected, authorities say there's much more going on than has been released to the public.

There was evidence collected when Birgfeld's vehicle was discovered shortly after her disappearance, however, law enforcement will not confirm if there is a connection that led investigators to the Whitewater area.

This is from the local abc affiliate (recap of search discoveries...may have been posted last night). Again, the highlights are mine....just find that curious and hope it is something useful and not a red herring.

Items found belonging to Paige Birgfeld.

July 17, 2007 12:44 AM

Items belonging to Paige Birgfeld found near Lands End

By Mike Daniels

A Models Inc. business card and several other business cards are found on Highway 50 early Monday morning. Just feet away, a Visa credit card not issued to Birgfeld was also found. Twenty volunteers began searching the stretch of highway this morning, picking up where they left off last night.

Sources close to the search confirm yesterday three health cards belonging to Birgfeld and her kids, a Blockbuster rental card and personal checks were found in the same area.

Personal items of Paige Birgfeld have been found near Lands End Road on Highway 50. According to the Sheriff's Department, "Items specific to this investigation have been found in the area".

Mesa County Sheriff's Search and Rescue Teams have search the Lands End area for the past two weeks. Several items that appear to belong to Birgfeld have continually been found in the Lands End area as searchers cover and recover the ground.

During a morning briefing Sheriff Stan Hilkey told volunteers, "We need your help to determine if the items we discovered already are limited to this area or if there are more items closer to or farther away from Grand Junction that we haven't been found yet."

Organized by the Abby and Jennifer Recovery Foundation, the group began searching Saturday at about 7am, at the end of day the search teams canvassed 11 of the 55 targeted areas. Volunteers were split into groups, debriefed and sent out to search the five mile radius near Birgfeld's home.

The volunteer search teams cleared 11 target search areas out of a total 55 planned searches on Saturday.

The Abby and Jennifer Recovery Foundation may sound familiar, as they were involved in the search and recovery of John Atchley. However this search will be very different, since foul play is suspected in Paige Birgfeld's disappearance.

The volunteers were briefed in case they find something of interest, not disturbing evidence or a possible crime scene. All volunteers must be documented and whereabouts kept during the search.

The mission of the foundation is to ban together with law enforcement and community members to help in the search for any missing child. The organization was started in memory of the famous Jennifer Blagg murder case in 2001.

Paige Birgfeld, a Grand Junction mother of three was reported missing on June 30th. The car she was driving was found fully engulfed in a parking lot just miles away from her home. For more information about joining the search you can call the Jennifer And Abby Foundation at 254-1567.

finley1991 said:
Grande,

Could you possibly map this for us... where the car, where her belongings wer found and this canal... just might help some of us to have a visual. Thanks!

No problem, I will be working on that this morning.

Grande, You are so good to us! Thank you!

kaceyleigh2 said:
Grande, You are so good to us! Thank you!
I think instead of a star, Grande needs a heart by his name.

chefann said:
I agree. It takes someone with a really big heart to devote the time and energy to cases like this.

You are all too sweet! I am very humbled by all of your generosity and kindness.

Some initial images as requested. First two are the exact location the woman claims to have seen a body.

Canal @ Patterson & 26 1/2 Rd. aka F Road in relation to other locations of interest >
http://i17.tinypic.com/62fxpmp.jpg

Canal @ Patterson & 26 1/2 Rd. Closeup >
http://i8.tinypic.com/6bwi7sz.jpg

All points of interest including Canal near Truck stop and location of Paige's vehicle discovery >
http://i10.tinypic.com/6cpyjkl.jpg

Canal near Truck Stop & location of Paige's vehicle discovery Closeup >
http://i12.tinypic.com/5xy6ikp.jpg

Canal near Paige's residence >
http://i10.tinypic.com/4zwpxyd.jpg

Last edited:
chefann said:

Go request it Ann - maybe instead of a "Gold Bar" he can have a heart. ;)

Found our 'crimewriter74' some of you were discussing yesterday. His article for Court TV was just released...

http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/original/0707/1701_paige_birgfeld3.html

chefann said:

Oooooh - I agree!! Greg, can you arrange that?

Grande said:
Found our 'crimewriter74' some of you were discussing yesterday. His article for Court TV was just released...

Tastefully done.

dannyzmom said:
Tastefully done.

I have to agree. He pulled his information from various sources and pieced the good and bad together nicely without being judgemental...just stated facts.

I actually wish more reports would have been that way.

In the comment section of the GJ Sentinel the following comment was left signed by Sheriff Stan Hilkey...

<Snipped>

Grand Junction, CO Reply »
|Flag |#2 16 hrs ago
"Just to be clear, there has been no body found ... only reported. Authorities responded to a vague report of an object-like torso, but did not find anything. The canal "traps" were set up just in case, but nothing has been discovered."
Stan Hilkey
Mesa County Sheriff

<Snipped>

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/kusa/TOHDLIS1TSBMP8TN4

Grande said:
You are all too sweet! I am very humbled by all of your generosity and kindness.

Some initial images as requested. First two are the exact location the woman claims to have seen a body.

Thank you!

Legacy, thank you so much for keeping the updates coming.

Greg, Thank you for all the pinpoints and refrences you have given.

You both are amazing! Thank you!

dannyzmom said:
Tastefully done.

This is the first news story I've seen that actually identifies her as a prostitue.

http://www.nbc11news.com/home/headlines/8542652.html

MomToEli said:
This is the first news story I've seen that actually identifies her as a prostitue.
I am not sure what story you are referring to.
I haven't seen anything like that.

Evelynt said:
I am not sure what story you are referring to.
I haven't seen anything like that.

This one:

I don't post often but I was checking before bed for any news and took a moment to read the link above and I was floored! I didn't know Paige but my word, give the girl a break....she is missing for gods sake! Who are they to judge and totally smear her image? I'm sorry, I just think its uncalled for and innappropriate!

MomToEli said:
This one:

SMUT...an article like this can only be written to gain popularity. I don't care what she did at this point. She's missing and her children need their mother. This crap makes me so mad. I would really like to let this "writer" know that he is a jacka$$.

1. What is the update on the search for Paige Birgfeld?

The search for Paige Birgfeld is still ongoing. The police are currently searching the Grand Valley Canal after a possible sighting, and volunteers with the Abby and Jennifer Recovery Foundation have found numerous items belonging to Birgfeld.

2. What is the location of the possible sighting?

The possible sighting occurred on the Grand Valley Canal between Seventh Street and 12th Street, about two miles downstream from Birgfeld's home.

3. Was any evidence found during the search?

No evidence confirming the presence of a body was found in the canal. However, the Abby and Jennifer Recovery Foundation volunteers have found numerous items belonging to Birgfeld.

4. How long have the search efforts been going on?

The Mesa County Sheriff's Department has been searching for Birgfeld for three weeks now, while the volunteers with the Abby and Jennifer Recovery Foundation have been searching for the past few days.

5. How can people help with the search?

People can help by volunteering with the Abby and Jennifer Recovery Foundation, which is currently searching along the U.S. Highway 50 near Whitewater. They are in need of more volunteers, and anyone can join by meeting at the Lands End Fire Protection District between 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. For more information, call Connie Flukey at 260-1821.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
missydivine
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • legacypc46
  • General Chat
Replies