• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Mandoline Issues: Tips and Tricks for Using Your Mandoline

I had the same problem at a show where I wasn't using the holder correctly. The blade wasn't coming up. Make sure the holder is on correctly and the blade is in the right position.
Yakmama
I always bring my mandoline to shows for people to see it- but I never use it myself.
A few days ago I made the Moroccan chicken pitas at home for dinner and i had to slice up a lemon. I used the mandoline and it worked like a charm.
So yesterday I had a show where I made the artichoke bread bowl dip. I had half a lemon left over, so I thought I would show off the mandoline.
It was a complete disaster! The lemon just went to complete mush and the V blade didn't slice it at all! It was so embarrassing trying to explain why it wasn't working. The lemon was firm and not too mushy- so I don't know what happened!
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm afraid to ever try it in public again.

I use a firm cucumber in the demos.

I had several issues in the beginning and they were all "operator" issues. Most often I did not get the slide on correctly and could not slice at all. I, like you, wanted to just leave it at home but I knew it was a good item to take/sell because of the price point. So, I used it and used it and used it at home with all the different blades until I finally bonded with it. And bonded I have! I am honest with the guests and tell them I had issues but they were all my own issues and it was based on the construction of the product for safety. It all boils down to the fact that unless the slide is mounted on the base correctly, it won't cut! I hope this will help some. Don't be afraid, just spend some quality time with it and I think you, like me, will bond with it and come to love it....and even take it to shows!!! Oh, and on issue I have with citrus is when I have a half of one to cut, I insert the "cut" end onto the holder so that the mandoline makes it's own fresh cut on the uncut end of the lemon/lime. That seems to have worked better for me...don't know why.

Also I have had times when I didn't have the blade all the way in. Push it in and make sure it is secure.Also, do not push down so hard on the food holder--just gentle pressure with your palm. Let the blade do the work.

I had a embarassing show moment with the Mandoline...all because I didn't have the holder on properly and my adjustable slicing blade was not in either one of the positions.
It is so true, practice, practice, practice.
Deb

This happened to me at a show. I went home and played with it and discovered I wasn't bringing the holder up all the way, which was not triggering the blade to rise due to the safety feature. Not sure if that was your issue but that's what happened to me :)

I used the wrong blade for cheese at a show, very embarrassing.

Remember, If You Can't Pick It Up By The Food Handler, It Is Not On
Properly.

Related to Troubleshooting Mandoline Issues: Tips and Tricks for Using Your Mandoline

1. How do I properly clean and maintain my mandoline?

To clean your mandoline, disassemble it and wash each part with warm soapy water. Make sure to dry it thoroughly before reassembling. For tougher residue, use a small brush or toothpick to remove debris. It is also important to regularly sharpen the blade to maintain its sharpness.

2. My mandoline seems to be dull, how can I sharpen it?

To sharpen your mandoline, use a sharpening stone or a honing rod. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully and be cautious while handling the blade. Alternatively, you can also send your mandoline to a professional for sharpening.

3. What is the proper way to use a mandoline?

To use a mandoline, place your desired ingredient on the sliding tray and hold it in place with the hand guard. Use a smooth, steady motion to slide the tray across the blade. Make sure to use the hand guard to protect your fingers and always be cautious while handling sharp blades.

4. I'm having trouble adjusting the thickness of my slices, what am I doing wrong?

Adjusting the thickness of your slices can be tricky, but it's important to take your time and make sure the mandoline is securely in place. Follow the instructions for your specific model to make the necessary adjustments. It may also help to practice with different ingredients and thickness settings to get a feel for the proper technique.

5. Can I use my mandoline for all types of ingredients?

While mandolines are great for slicing and julienning a variety of fruits and vegetables, they may not be suitable for more delicate or softer items such as tomatoes or berries. It's best to use a knife for these types of ingredients to avoid crushing or damaging them in the mandoline.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie50
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
gfreechef
  • peichef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • alustizanicole