• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Don't Like It! I Tried Using the Mandolin in My New Consultant Kit

In summary, the conversation is about using the mandolin from a new consultant kit and the frustration that comes with it. There are tips and tricks for using it, such as using the microplane for grating cheese and using the V blade for slicing potatoes. Some people love the mandolin and others don't, but it's recommended to watch the demo video and use it at home before using it at a show. It's not necessary to use the mandolin for a specific recipe, and some people prefer to use knives instead. One tip for using the mandolin with cheese is to not use the food holder, but instead hold the block of cheese and use it like a box grater. Ultimately, it's okay to skip using the mand
luvmypomeranian
I don't like it! I tried using the mandolin in my new consultant kit last night. It was very frustrating. Any tips and tricks for using it? I gave up on grating cheese on it (I was trying out the 3 cheese garden pizza recipe). My husband finally got the hang of it for slicing potatos after about 20 minutes.

Seems to be one of those things that is great once you figure out how to use it, but not so great if you don't have the hang of it yet.

Re: Mandolin?One more question.....if I still want to use the 3 Cheese Garden pizza at a show.....do I HAVE to use the mandolin where the recipe says to? Or can I cut with a knife and focus more on the knives for that show? If I use the mandolin at my first show....I am afraid it will be a disaster and I won't be able to make it work right.

Re: Mandolin?I don't really like the Mandoline either. I always use my knives at shows instead & I use the microplane for grating cheeses. For Mozarella, though, you will need to put the cheese in the freezer for about 10 minutes (4 oz block-more or less depending on size of block) before using the microplane. It is too soft and crumbles easily.

Re: Mandolin?I really don't think you have to use the specific tool they tell us to for a specific part of a recipe. I've always used what I feel comfortable with. I do like the mandolin, but every now and then have a love/hate relationship w/it. Once I re-read the directions or watch the video on using it I always do better w/it. I have never used it to grate cheese.

Re: Mandolin?I had a hard time using the mandoline when I first got my kit. I even had a training session in how to use it and did just fine, until I was home by myself. I walked away from it and then reapproached with a different mind set. Make sure it is put together correctly. Make sure you have a flat edge going against the blade. Apply small amount of pressure when sliding the food across the blade. It is now a favorite tool of mine.

Re: Mandolin?I love the Mandoline, but I wouldn't use it at a show until you are comfortable with using it. Use it often at home, and you will get the hang of it. We use the grating tool and the V the most in our house. Baby reds sliced on it, add butter and pressed garlic and bake on your stone. Delicious. Green peppers on the V work great for fajitas.

Re: Mandolin?Check out this recent thread: http://www.chefsuccess.com/f8/am-i-only-one-who-hates-ultimate-mandoline-63392/?highlight=mandolineJust so you know, there's a demo video on CC that shows you how to use it. It really is worth taking the time to watch it, it's not that long. If you aren't comfortable with using it for a show, skip it. It's not the end of the world. ;) You feeling comfortable with your demo is more important. Plus, people love our forged cutlery. Getting people to try our knives really works at selling them. The mandoline is a love it-hate it type item. :)Go check out that thread--There's lot of advice and opinions on it. :)

Re: Mandolin?I didn't like it when I first started either. I told people at my first shows that the Mandoline and I weren't ready to go publick with our relationship. That seemed to loosen things up a bit when I had trouble with it. (I really enjoy it now...even use it in my own kitchen.)

Re: Mandolin?TIP when using it for cheese- I don't use the Food Holder....but ONLY for the grater. I just hold the block of cheese and use it like I would any box-type grater. There is a video on CC if you go to the Products tab and find the videos. It's mentioned in thread someone linked above too.

Re: Mandolin?
luvmypomeranian said:
One more question.....if I still want to use the 3 Cheese Garden pizza at a show.....do I HAVE to use the mandolin where the recipe says to? Or can I cut with a knife and focus more on the knives for that show? If I use the mandolin at my first show....I am afraid it will be a disaster and I won't be able to make it work right.

I really dont like the mandolin either... people can buy shredded cheese at the store! It's probably the only PC tool I don't care for.

Try this recipe at home, Grecian Party Squares. It's easy, tasty, and you dont have to use the mandoline! You can still demo lots of tools that came in you kit with it. Good luck to you.

grecian party squares recipe | pampered chef recipes | pampered chef

Jackie

Re: Mandolin?Again, I LOVE the Ultimate Mandoline. You just have to get the hand of it. I couldn't imagine making Dutch Oven potatoes without it. geez... imagine slicing all of the potatoes by hand? It's so much easier to just put it in the guard & swish a bunch of times! Seriously! Just keep trying!

Re: Mandolin?I would say for a show, buy grated cheese, or grate it before the people get there. Use it a bit and get comfortable using it with onions. They are easy to do.
I have found that if you go a little faster, the Mandoline works better. Definitely get comfortable with it before using it at a show. I won't say I hate it, but I honestly don't frequently use it in my own home, and I did own it before becoming a consultant.

Re: Mandolin?Checkout the online training for it as well. The big secret is you need to push farther than you think, so the spring pops back down and you get to slice another slice. It is much farther than you think - farther than just slicing your item.Once you learn to use it well, you'll sell many - and that $60 boost is a PLUS for your shows!

What is a mandolin and how does it work?

A mandolin is a kitchen tool that is used for slicing and julienning fruits and vegetables. It has a sharp blade that is adjustable for different thicknesses of cuts. To use it, simply secure the food onto the holder and slide it back and forth over the blade.

Why do I need a mandolin in my kitchen?

A mandolin can save you time and effort in food preparation. It can also help you achieve precise and consistent cuts, which can improve the presentation of your dishes. Additionally, using a mandolin can allow you to try out new recipes and techniques in the kitchen.

How do I clean and maintain my mandolin?

To clean your mandolin, make sure to carefully remove any food particles and rinse it with warm water. If there are stubborn bits, you can use a brush or sponge with gentle soap. Make sure to dry it completely before storing. To maintain your mandolin, periodically sharpen the blade and check for any loose parts that may need to be tightened.

What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when using a mandolin?

It is important to always use the hand guard when using a mandolin to protect your fingers from the sharp blade. Make sure to also place the mandolin on a stable and flat surface before using it. When cleaning, handle the blade with caution and use a brush or sponge to avoid any cuts.

I'm having trouble using my mandolin. What should I do?

If you are having difficulty using your mandolin, we recommend referring to the instruction manual that came with your consultant kit. You can also watch online tutorials or ask your Pampered Chef consultant for tips and advice on how to use the mandolin effectively. Practice makes perfect, so don't be discouraged and keep trying!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sprinklesteen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
cochef
  • Cape_PC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Hollycancook