• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Which Um Blade Should I Use....

In summary, the v-shaped blade is better for harder produce, and the flat blade is better for softer produce.
peichef
Wondering what blade I should use in the Ultimate Mandoline to slice a lemon -- the v-shaped blade, or the adjustable straight blade? (Actually, my Dad wants to know. He's using his for the 1st time and I want him to like the UM, since I've hyped it up A LOT :p

I would use the v-shaped as that is made for things that have a harder exterior and mushier interior

Definitely the v-shaped blade. That's the one that PC recommends we use to slice the limes for the Lime-Berry Mousse Trifle, so I would assume that lemons would be the same. HTH!

I agree. The other flat blade cuts them way too thin and they turn to mush...

many thanks. I'll call my dad now. He was trying with the adjustable blade, and wasn't completely satisfied.

Make sure you tell him not to press or push too hard on it, either. I had a guest at my show last night that wanted to try the new UM b/c she had returned her old USG b/c she couldn't get it to work right. Here, she was just pushing the food WAY too hard to begin with. I explained that it was a tool that was supposed to make slicing food EASIER, not harder, and after that, she got it, and she sliced a whole lime perfectly. :)

I must be one of those people that try make it harder that it is supposed to be. I have tried slicing, carrots, celery, potatoes, and tomatoes and I couldn't get it to do any of them. I also don't know why the little food holder is so small. I went to try slice an onion and I would have ahad to cut it into quarters to be able to fit it in there. I am really discouraged with it. Sorry for the hijack.

Jessica

jchesley said:
I must be one of those people that try make it harder that it is supposed to be. I have tried slicing, carrots, celery, potatoes, and tomatoes and I couldn't get it to do any of them. I also don't know why the little food holder is so small. I went to try slice an onion and I would have ahad to cut it into quarters to be able to fit it in there. I am really discouraged with it. Sorry for the hijack.

Jessica
I got the greatest tip for slicing onions--if they are too big, just peel off a layer until it fits in the holder. Also, you can put it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before slicing to minimize the vapors. :)

I'll try that trick with the onions. I tried to slice a tomato again last night with it, and it still turned to mush. I had to cut it in 3rds to get it to fit, and then as it sliced it didn't cut through the flesh so I was left with a soupy mess on my cutting board. (which was ok, because I was just making a sauce out of it, but still)

Is it even possible to cut/grate long skinny produce like celery or carrots?

Jessica

Tomatoes really require use of the V-shaped blade, and they need to be pretty firm (almost too firm to be considered ripe, in my book). It sounds weird, but they really do work better when you cut off a slice and start with a flat surface (or cut them in half, and start from the middle).

1. Which um blade should I use for cutting vegetables?

The best um blade for cutting vegetables would be the Santoku knife. It has a wide blade that allows for easy slicing and dicing of various types of vegetables.

2. Can I use the same um blade for cutting both meats and vegetables?

It is not recommended to use the same um blade for cutting both meats and vegetables. This can lead to cross-contamination and affect the taste and safety of your food. It is best to have separate um blades for each type of food.

3. What is the difference between a chef's knife and a utility knife?

A chef's knife has a longer, wider blade and is better for heavy-duty tasks such as chopping and dicing. A utility knife has a smaller, narrower blade and is better for more precise tasks such as peeling and slicing.

4. How do I properly care for my um blades?

To keep your um blades in top condition, it is important to hand wash them with warm soapy water and dry them immediately. Avoid putting them in the dishwasher as the high heat and harsh detergents can damage the blades.

5. Can I sharpen my own um blades at home?

While it is possible to sharpen your own um blades at home, it is recommended to have them professionally sharpened by a knife expert. This will ensure that they are sharpened correctly and will prolong the life of your um blades.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jross93
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jross93
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies