• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting a Santoku Knife: What Went Wrong?

In summary, the Santoku knife is not working well for Trish because she is having trouble with the food sticking to the knife. The Chef says that the "clean slicing" (described in the catalog) produces a "sharp" cut, not a ragged edge. Trish's husband, a chef, says that the "hollows" on the Santoku knife reduce friction, and that using less force on the knife is why many women, including Rachel Ray, prefer this knife.
chefmelody
Perhaps I am using the Santoku wrong, but I tried to demo it at a show yesterday, and it didn't work right at all. I did the mango demo as shown on the instruction video... the peeling worked great, but when I went to slice the large flat pieces, the mango slices stuck all over the knife. I thought the grantons were supposed to stop that from happening? What was I doing wrong? :confused:

I used mine to slice potatoes the other day and they stuck really bad too. I'm wondering if wetting the knife would help?

My husband, a chef, says the hollows on the Santoku knife reduces friction; it does not nessarily prevent things from sticking to it. The hollows are designed to make the knife easier to handle...i.e., you don't have to use as much force to cut through meats, etc. The "clean slicing" (as described in the catalog), my husband thinks it should read or mean...produces a "sharp" cut, not a ragged edge. Using less force on the knife is why many women, including Rachel Ray, prefer this cool new knife.

Trish Kidd
Toolbelt Trish in Texas

Yes, but the instructional video is specific in saying that it keeps food from sticking to it. And in the video, the mango and avacado doesn't stick... so I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Do you slice down or down and back? I believe down and back would help...I could be wrong.

I found that the less pressure used the less sticking food did on the knife. I had no problems with anything I've cut so far except regular white potatoes.

My director said you need to slice down and forward, but that's not related to food not sticking... It's just safety! You want to be cutting away from your body.

I have signed up to take a one evening class on Knife handling. If any of you are blessed to have a Wegman's Food Markets in your area, check to see if they offer classes. I'm within 20 miles of where they will have a class this Wednesday evening. I'm taking my Santoku to have the Chef give us hints.
I'm also thinking of taking my own Pampered Chef apron to wear. It is limited to 16 and we are promised hands on experience and a Stir Fry dinner. My hope is that I can offer something similar to my Hosts and their guests. Have any of you done a proper Knife Handling show?

Please fill us in on that class after you take it.

Central Market's in Texas have knife skills classes - I want to take one. I should be getting my Santuko today.

Will they let you bring your own knives???

I watched the video again, and it seems that the demonstration chef is using only the tip of the knife at an angle to slice along the mango and avacado. He is not holding the knife parallel to the cutting board, nor is he using the middle of the blade. I think that might be my problem. I tried cutting a potato with the Santoku, but "choked up" on the blade and used it at an angle rather than slicing straight down. That seemed to work better. I'll need to try the mango demo again, because that's really what I want to show off to people.

chefmelody said:
I watched the video again, and it seems that the demonstration chef is using only the tip of the knife at an angle to slice along the mango and avacado. He is not holding the knife parallel to the cutting board, nor is he using the middle of the blade. I think that might be my problem. I tried cutting a potato with the Santoku, but "choked up" on the blade and used it at an angle rather than slicing straight down. That seemed to work better. I'll need to try the mango demo again, because that's really what I want to show off to people.

Please let me know how it works out? :D

I had quite a bit a trouble with the first Santoku Knife I received from Pampered Chef. It didn't cut as easily or cleanly as I expected, nor did it reduce the food stickage. It was a problem with the blade - it was ever so slightly warped. I asked for a replacement.

I've been positively thrilled with the replacement knife. It's totally straight and cuts like a dream. Sure food still sticks to it, especially when mincing, but it doesn't take much to knock it off. Then, too, if I'm doing something like apple slices, something with a larger surface area, then I'll try to keep a light finger on the slice to keep in place. I hope that last bit made sense. :)

agw said:
I had quite a bit a trouble with the first Santoku Knife I received from Pampered Chef. It didn't cut as easily or cleanly as I expected, nor did it reduce the food stickage. It was a problem with the blade - it was ever so slightly warped. I asked for a replacement.

Was it warped enough to be visible? How did you determine it? I'd hate to think mine was like that too.

At a casual glance, no, it was not an obvious flaw. I noticed it when I was drying it and checking out the edge. I was checking for flaws. I surely didn't expect to see the curvature! The curvature was so slight, too, that I thought nothing of it for a couple of weeks. It was only as I was becoming disillusioned with its performance that I decided to see if a replacement would make any difference. It did. :)

I held it edge up and point away from me. I held the knife at eye level that way. That's when I noticed the warp.

WOW! What a knife!!!!

I got my Santoku yesterday and am quite impressed.

The impression I have always had about the "food not sticking" to the knife issue is that it won't "stick", like when You slice a potato and the slices are actually stuck to the knife and difficult to release. The recesses in the santuko allow the slices to release from the knife more easily. Make sense?

That said... I peeled every carrot in the house last night and made carrot sticks! That is something I've always hated doing because my hand always gets sore from it! UGH!!! But this new knife really makes it easier! And when I ran out of carrots to cut, I decided to make chili so that I could chop up some green pepper and onion ;) Works like a dream!!!

My santoku knife is rusting. I have done an adjustment and will get another one but I was shocked as I have only had it a couple of months.

I have an interesting Santoku story...
I've been demoing it at every show in Sept and Oct with great success, sold 3 at full price and got some catalog shows just to get the host special. Was thinking I was all that and professing the bonus of letting the guests use the knife, and then it actually sells itself! That is untill Friday night... Did a semi-open house with a small group, brought my knives, set up my potato, showed off, everything went as planned. Later into the evening, my hostest started to play with the santoku and poof...there goes a peice of her finger!!! It bled for quite a while, she did not go to the ER but probably should have!Moral of the story...our knives are awesome, but NOT toys!!! They cut anything and everything! and quite smoothly!

agw said:
At a casual glance, no, it was not an obvious flaw. I noticed it when I was drying it and checking out the edge. I was checking for flaws. I surely didn't expect to see the curvature! The curvature was so slight, too, that I thought nothing of it for a couple of weeks. It was only as I was becoming disillusioned with its performance that I decided to see if a replacement would make any difference. It did. :)

I held it edge up and point away from me. I held the knife at eye level that way. That's when I noticed the warp.

Did you use the hoining devise? He said to use it after every use I think?

dollfangs said:
My santoku knife is rusting. I have done an adjustment and will get another one but I was shocked as I have only had it a couple of months.

Alot of the PC knives get these water spots... What are they telling us to do to eliminate that staining that looks like rust?

its_me_susan said:
Alot of the PC knives get these water spots... What are they telling us to do to eliminate that staining that looks like rust?
Very good question. I thought it was just my well water - but I took my knives to my daughters house (city water) and those awful spots are still there.... I was hoping they would disappear. I have taken one of those "green sand paper scratchers" and gently filed the blade in the direction of the forged grain with success. BUT I don't wnat to have to do this ecery time either :( :confused:

Wow, what a great class to go too. You will learn lots of neat tricks to do at your shows. Also, maybe get a few leads if you wear your apron. I will definetely check into something like that when I get to my new station. (Hubby is Air Force and moving to Texas next month).
Thanks for the advice.

Grandmarita said:
I have signed up to take a one evening class on Knife handling. If any of you are blessed to have a Wegman's Food Markets in your area, check to see if they offer classes. I'm within 20 miles of where they will have a class this Wednesday evening. I'm taking my Santoku to have the Chef give us hints.
I'm also thinking of taking my own Pampered Chef apron to wear. It is limited to 16 and we are promised hands on experience and a Stir Fry dinner. My hope is that I can offer something similar to my Hosts and their guests. Have any of you done a proper Knife Handling show?
Please go to second page of posts on this section. I posted something in response to yours but I guess I hit wrong button. It looks funny cuz it is not followed by this post. LOL
I like your idea though.

Where in TX?? I'll have to check if we have any close down here, 20-30 miles is close enough for me :) I don't have these nice new knives yet though.

Thanks;

www.centralmarket.com Doesn't appear to be one in Harlingen yet? Is there an Air Force base in your are?? I think we were stastioned there breifly when I was very small

its_me_susan said:
Did you use the honing devise? He said to use it after every use I think?

This was before the Hone was even available. The first knife was simply warped. The edge was perfect, but the blade wasn't. I haven't had any trouble at all with the replacement knife I received - it's true and straight. :)

1. What is the proper way to clean and maintain a Santoku knife?

To clean a Santoku knife, wash it by hand with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. Avoid using harsh chemicals or putting it in the dishwasher. Dry the knife immediately after washing to prevent rusting. To maintain the sharpness of the knife, regularly hone it with a honing steel and have it professionally sharpened every 6-12 months.

2. Why is my Santoku knife not cutting as well as it used to?

There are a few possible reasons why your Santoku knife may not be cutting well. It could be dull and in need of sharpening, the blade could be bent or damaged, or the cutting angle may be incorrect. Try sharpening the knife or having it professionally sharpened, and make sure you are using the correct angle when cutting.

3. How do I fix a bent Santoku knife?

If your Santoku knife is bent, it is best to stop using it and have it professionally repaired or replaced. Attempting to straighten the blade yourself could cause further damage or compromise the integrity of the knife. To prevent bending in the future, make sure to only use the knife for its intended purpose and avoid twisting or prying with it.

4. What can cause chips or nicks in a Santoku knife?

Chips and nicks in a Santoku knife can be caused by using the knife on hard surfaces, like glass or granite, or using it to cut through bone or frozen food. It can also be a sign of a low-quality knife or improper sharpening techniques. To prevent chips and nicks, use a cutting board made of wood or plastic and avoid using excessive force when cutting.

5. How can I tell if my Santoku knife needs to be sharpened?

If you notice that your Santoku knife is not cutting through food as easily as it used to, or if you see visible nicks or chips in the blade, it is likely time to sharpen it. You can also test the sharpness by gently running your finger across the blade. If it easily catches on your skin, it is dull and needs sharpening. Additionally, if you are having trouble with the knife slipping or sliding while cutting, it may be time for a sharpening.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Chef_2_Four
  • lesliec
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
Replies
Views
pcsharon1