• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Watch Out for the Green Santoku!

In summary, the author is using a green santoku knife for making bruschetta and slices their thumb with the knife. The author also recommends the use of forged cutlery instead.
lacychef
so, I was cutting my sil's brownies she brought yesterday....grabbed my green santoku cause it was the first one I saw....then ouch! It sliced right through her cheap foil pan she made them in (I know what you're thinking; she doesn't have all PC stoneware yet, whole other topic!), and the knife went right into my 'naughty finger'. It is deep too; my aunt said borderline needing stitches. Added a little excitement to the day; makes it hard to type too!

honestly I got rid of them when I received them last season---I think they look too much like a toy or plastic knife----I was afraid anyone would think they are not sharp and slice a digit off----
sorry for the boobookeep it clean

I use this and the tomato knife all of the time! I didn't think I was going to like them when they came out, but they are my favorites, but like any knives, they are SHARP!! Blame it on her cheap foil pans and have her buy stoneware...or give it to her for Christmas!!

pamperedtraci said:
I use this and the tomato knife all of the time! I didn't think I was going to like them when they came out, but they are my favorites, but like any knives, they are SHARP!! Blame it on her cheap foil pans and have her buy stoneware...or give it to her for Christmas!!

I use the tomato knife all the time too! I actually prefer it over my forged cutlery!!

I, personally, am not crazy about the green santoku but I sell the green tomato knives like crazy!
I had a gal last month buy 5 of them - said she's putting them in everyone's Christmas stockings this year!

When ever I talk about those knives, especially when a guy notices them I make sure to point out that they are metal and very sharp.

I love this set. I love the forged cutlery but it scares me too much, I'm a clutz! I'll grab for one of the green knives first before any other knife.

I would love to see a mini santuko forged knife though, I'd probably use that more.

Sorry you cut your finger. Ouch!
I don't like the way the green santoku feels in my hands. I didn't start using it until after using the Forged Cutlery, which I love. The green one doesn't feel stable.

I just had to let you know since I commented on this earlier but I was making the bruschetta from the It's Good for You cookbook and sliced my thumb and thumb nail with the tomato knife! I think you jinxed me! And it hurts so bad!

Been there done that with the green knives. I really like them both but they are extremely sharp. I didn't think they would be but I've cut myself with both knives already. The last time was my thumb and it hurt "like a sore thumb"...........for almost two weeks.
I just have to be careful because they are about the only knives I use now.
Good luck with the cut! You'll probably have more to come.......those things are deadly.

Remember, sharp knives are safer......provided you LOOK at what you are cutting!!! :D

My theory is that these knives are not as easy to handle because they aren't as stable as better knives (Forged Cutlery), so it's easier to cut yourself. They are definitely sharp, but they aren't as steady. This is why I don't like my green Santoku knife.

wadesgirl said:
I just had to let you know since I commented on this earlier but I was making the bruschetta from the It's Good for You cookbook and sliced my thumb and thumb nail with the tomato knife! I think you jinxed me! And it hurts so bad!
OH man sorry!

I'm not using this knife for awhile, lol!

My dh was teasing me; saying, oh the PC lady can't use her own knives?

Ouch, ouch, ouch...what a painful thread to read! I have customers that love these. Mine are in my kit, but when I use them I like them.

cmdtrgd said:
Remember, sharp knives are safer......provided you LOOK at what you are cutting!!! :D
JAE said:
My theory is that these knives are not as easy to handle because they aren't as stable as better knives (Forged Cutlery), so it's easier to cut yourself. They are definitely sharp, but they aren't as steady. This is why I don't like my green Santoku knife.
Kate, you're correct and people who are not used to sharp knives are usually surprised with the ease that a sharp knife cuts through - anything.

JAE is also partially correct. I don't think it's a matter of steadiness, as much as the color knives are light and flexible (like a good paring knife or the old quik-cut knives) as opposed to the hefty nature of our cutlery that goes right where you aim it.

I love the green santoku and tomato knives for quickie jobs but I use them rather sparingly.

lacychef said:
OH man sorry!

I'm not using this knife for awhile, lol!

My dh was teasing me; saying, oh the PC lady can't use her own knives?
Maybe if I had used the finger guard...

Related to Watch Out for the Green Santoku!

What is a "Watch Out for the Green Santoku!"?

A "Watch Out for the Green Santoku!" is a versatile and high-quality knife designed for precision cutting and chopping in the kitchen. It is part of the Pampered Chef's Green Collection, which features eco-friendly products made from sustainable materials.

Is the "Watch Out for the Green Santoku!" dishwasher safe?

Yes, the "Watch Out for the Green Santoku!" is dishwasher safe. However, we recommend hand washing with warm soapy water and drying immediately to prolong the life of the knife.

What is the size of the "Watch Out for the Green Santoku!"?

The "Watch Out for the Green Santoku!" has a 7-inch blade, making it the perfect size for most cutting and chopping tasks in the kitchen.

What is the handle made of?

The handle of the "Watch Out for the Green Santoku!" is made of a durable and sustainable bamboo material. It is designed to provide a comfortable and secure grip while using the knife.

Can the "Watch Out for the Green Santoku!" be sharpened?

Yes, the "Watch Out for the Green Santoku!" can be sharpened when needed. We recommend using a sharpening stone or taking it to a professional knife sharpener for best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • mrssyvo
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • lacychef
  • General Chat
Replies