• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Thyroid Surgery Due to Pre-Cancerous Nodule: Recommendations for Nearby Hotels

In summary, Shawna will have surgery to remove a pre-cancerous thyroid nodule at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center. She is traveling a lot and may need to stay in a hotel.
chefshawna
Gold Member
:cry: I have been having some tests on my thyroid done and the last test was a biopsy on a dominant nodule of the left lobe. Well, I really expected it to be o.k., but it came back abnormal, which means pre-cancerous.:eek: Well, my sister had thyroid cancer, so with the diagnosis and the family history I have to have it removed now. They will start with my left lobe and if it's cancerous will take the right also. The only surgery I have ever had before was on my wisdom teeth! I opted to have it done at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, which is an excellent hospital. It's about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from my house, so I will be traveling a lot. Does anyone know of some good hotels in the area that aren't too far from the hospital? The hospital website listed Hawthorne Inn, but I wanted to price shop. My husband has already used all his paid vacation days this year and so will now have to use unpaid, so that will hurt!! This just sucks:(, but I'm glad I caught it when I did!

Prayers will be lifted to you, Shawna. Do you have the date of your surgery?

I will be praying for you!!

Is the Hawthorne Inn in Salem, Massachusetts?? We've stayed there and its beautiful!

As a cancer survivor myself (19yrs) My love and prayers and thoughts and wishes are with you during this emotional time....All I can say is stay positive and think good thoughts...... It truly makes a difference in your recovery..................Good luck...See if there is a Ronald McDonald house in the area. Ask the hospital about any aid for family members having to travel to the area.

The Hawthorne Inn is in Winston-Salem, NC. There is a Ronald McDonald house, but it says it's for families of pediatric patients. My consultation with the surgeon is on September 5, and my Endocrinologist says the surgery will probably follow that by a week or so. I am staying positive, I really didn't think that the biopsy would be bad, so I'm still in a little bit of shock that I have to do anything! My sister is not positive b/c of her experience with her thyroid cancer. She had three negative biopsies and it wasn't until she had surgery that they found it was cancer and had metastisized to her lymph nodes. So, during all of my tests she has been the negative nelly! But she's just worried.

Sending prayers your way, Shawna. Thank God it was found early!

Sending prayers your way.

Definitely sending prayers your way.

I had my thyroid removed in 2005 and when they removed it they found cancer. The surgery was supposed to last 45 mins to an hour but ended up taking 4 1/2 hours long. My thyroid was much larger than anticipated.

If you need to talk, please PM me. :)

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

You are in my thoughts and prayers as well. My friend had thyroid cancer last year and thankfully she is currently cancer-free. Good luck with the travels, it sounds like you will be in good hands!

Try the http://www.nahhh.org/lodging4.php?id=441. There are many hospital hospitality houses besides Chez Ronaie's but since they have the clown logo, most people don't know that there are plenty of houses that are not oriented to children.They are a member of the National Association of Hospitality Houses. The contact is Melinda Beauchamp. 336-793-2822Email [email protected](I used to volunteer for a hospital hospitality house here, that's how I know about this place.)

KG you are wealth of knowledge........... You never cease to amaze me...

chefshawna said:
:cry: I have been having some tests on my thyroid done and the last test was a biopsy on a dominant nodule of the left lobe. Well, I really expected it to be o.k., but it came back abnormal, which means pre-cancerous.:eek: Well, my sister had thyroid cancer, so with the diagnosis and the family history I have to have it removed now. They will start with my left lobe and if it's cancerous will take the right also. The only surgery I have ever had before was on my wisdom teeth! I opted to have it done at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, which is an excellent hospital. It's about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from my house, so I will be traveling a lot. Does anyone know of some good hotels in the area that aren't too far from the hospital? The hospital website listed Hawthorne Inn, but I wanted to price shop. My husband has already used all his paid vacation days this year and so will now have to use unpaid, so that will hurt!! This just sucks:(, but I'm glad I caught it when I did!

I got this from the Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center website.

http://www1.wfubmc.edu/visitors/Lodging+and+Dining/

Hope this helps with your search for lodging.

Wishing you nothing but the best Shawna and hope the waiting time goes by fast for you so you don't have too much time to think about all of this.

Wow, Shawna! I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers.

Flamingo said:
KG you are wealth of knowledge........... You never cease to amaze me...

If any university offered a BS degree that was truly a BS degree, I'd have several doctorates by now.

But Chefann would have more.

I am going thru the same thing! I had a biopsy done in June, and had a Total Thyroidectomy July 17th (Just days after returning home from Chicago). It took nearly 10 days for the path to come back. (Which was Monday), I am to see an Oncologist Friday. What I will tell you, is the bisopsy was more painful than the surgery!! They did keep me overnight because it was a TT, and they needed to monitor my calcium levels. Be sure you get a good surgeon, mine was reccommended to me by my Endro Dr. I have found a WONDERUL group site THYCA, they can answer a lot of your questions, just like you do here. I have watched two good friends die in the last two year, one from breast and one from liver cancer. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park. They found three nodules with cancer one that stretched accross both lobes. Treatment will involve going off my thryoid hormone Synthroid which I have been on for nearly 35 years, and going into Hypo Hell (google that!) for six weeks and then radiation treatment that while won't make me glow, will require my family to leave the house for I think it's about a week. I have started calling my best hosts, and asking them to do catalog shows for me for Aug, because if I believe everything I read about Hypo Hell, (especially the cute little song put to the 12 days of Christmas!) My mind will be mush!! But in the big picture, this is a little bump in the road! And if this is my battle, I'll take it!

Why does you family have to leave the house during radiation? Are they inserting radioactive pellets?You all have lots of survivors here to back you up. As for radiation therapy - wanna see my tattoos? ;)

You and your family will be in my prays. Hope all goes well.

Thank you to all for the thoughts and prayers. My sister went through this 8 years ago and she had to be away from her family for a week also. I am hoping that they don't find any cancer. I just wish I could see the surgeon sooner! I hate all the waiting. I started going to the MD for this in May. I have never been on synthroid or had any thyroid problems before this. Matter of fact my blood work is always fine! LOL
KG, thanks for the info on the hospitality houses, I will definitely look into it.
For those of you who had thyroid cancer and had the surgery, my question is, how did this effect your energy level? My sister has so many other health issues that I really can't look at her experience and know what to expect. Plus, she has had so many surgeries and is in so much pain all the time that she doesn't really remember much about it!

A friend of mine just emailed me this
This is from foxnews.com
link is http://www.foxnews. com/story/ 0,2933,390382, 00.html
Subject: [TC] "Radioactive" Woman shuts down Russian Airport Terminal

I just spoke with my Endro Dr and he says to go ahead with the Radioactive Iodine treatment. Worst part about that (other than Hypo Hell), is the 2 weeks on a Iodine free diet (read not just salt free, but iodine free!)
I plan to e-mail HO and find out which of our Seasoning is acceptable!

Prayers are coming your way.

Shawna, you and pjpamchef will be in my prayers.

chefshawna said:
Thank you to all for the thoughts and prayers. My sister went through this 8 years ago and she had to be away from her family for a week also. I am hoping that they don't find any cancer. I just wish I could see the surgeon sooner! I hate all the waiting. I started going to the MD for this in May. I have never been on synthroid or had any thyroid problems before this. Matter of fact my blood work is always fine! LOL
KG, thanks for the info on the hospitality houses, I will definitely look into it.
For those of you who had thyroid cancer and had the surgery, my question is, how did this effect your energy level? My sister has so many other health issues that I really can't look at her experience and know what to expect. Plus, she has had so many surgeries and is in so much pain all the time that she doesn't really remember much about it!

Seriously go to [email protected]

List owner: [email protected]

I started this journey in April, and there is so much help there, I wouldn't be as calm (as I appear ) if I hadn't been able to have my questions answered, and I have been more prepared for each step of the way!!! They have great files full of useful information, like a glossary of all the appriviations you are going to see etc!!

I will definitely have to go there. Right now I guess it is all still sinking in. My Endo asked, "Where you expecting this?" and when I told him no he said, "Well, you're just so calm." But, I know that there are worst things that I could have and much worse surgeries to have to go through!!

Know you are in my prayers here in TN. May God hold you close through all this!:angel:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Why does you family have to leave the house during radiation? Are they inserting radioactive pellets?

You all have lots of survivors here to back you up. As for radiation therapy - wanna see my tattoos? ;)

Cool thing about Thyroid Cancer is that Thyroid cells absorb Iodine, and no other cells in your body do. So they will starve my body of Iodine, and then I take Radioactive Iodine, I think orally, and wait to glow (Just Kidding). That should kill any Thyroid cancer cells wandering around my body. Of course now days they do everything out-patient, so they send you home and tell you not to have contact with anyone for a week??? Check out this link, I can't decide what to order !! http://shop.cafepress.com/design/3938171
>

Well, I went to see the surgeon today and we scheduled my surgery for Sept. 15. It seems like I have been waiting forever and now 10 more days!:cry: I know they will fly by, but until then I am going to be thinking about it nonstop! I have a follicular neoplasm which will have to be removed before they can tell me if it is benign or malignant. The surgeon and his resident and med student where all very nice, so I feel confident with them. I am going to a great hospital, so I think all will go well. I just wanted to update everyone. :D

chefshawna said:
Well, I went to see the surgeon today and we scheduled my surgery for Sept. 15. It seems like I have been waiting forever and now 10 more days!:cry: I know they will fly by, but until then I am going to be thinking about it nonstop! I have a follicular neoplasm which will have to be removed before they can tell me if it is benign or malignant. The surgeon and his resident and med student where all very nice, so I feel confident with them. I am going to a great hospital, so I think all will go well. I just wanted to update everyone. :D

I missed this early - praying that all will go well. I go to church and was an AWANA leader with a girl in her 20's that is a thyroid cancer survivor. Her entire thyroid had to be removed. She takes medicine daily for the rest of her life due to that but is happy and healthy!

The doctor is just going to take half of mine unless it is cancerous, then he'll take all. He doesn't want me to have to be on medicine for the rest of my life, so that's why. I'm just nervous that if they take half, I will have to eventually have to have the other half removed as well!

Thank you for the update. I will keep praying for you.

Related to Thyroid Surgery Due to Pre-Cancerous Nodule: Recommendations for Nearby Hotels

1. What is the reason for thyroid surgery due to a pre-cancerous nodule?

The thyroid surgery is necessary because the biopsy results showed abnormal cells, which could potentially develop into cancer if left untreated.

2. What is the recommended course of action for thyroid surgery?

The recommended course of action is to remove the affected lobe (or lobes) of the thyroid gland. If the nodule is found to be cancerous, the other lobe may also need to be removed.

3. Why is it important to have the surgery at a reputable hospital?

Having the surgery at a reputable hospital, such as Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, can ensure the best possible care and outcomes for the patient.

4. Are there any recommended hotels near the hospital?

The hospital website suggests the Hawthorne Inn, but it is recommended to compare prices and look for other nearby options as well.

5. How will this surgery affect my family and work life?

Unfortunately, this type of surgery requires a longer recovery time and may result in using unpaid vacation days. It is important to discuss with your employer and make necessary arrangements to ensure proper recovery and support from family and friends during this time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
tlag1986
Replies
Views
doughmama
Replies
Views
nikked
Replies
Views