• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Talk Me Down From the Ledge... I'm so Peeved Right Now.

In summary, the person is trying to avoid paying for a subscription by abusing the system. They have been caught, but may not respond. There is a risk of lawsuits if they continue to do this.
PampChefJoy
Gold Member
If you were me and you saw this type of subscription activity from the same email address, what would you think?

http://www.tastytidbits.net/images/history.jpg

I mean, seriously, how many samples and trial subscriptions does it really take to make a decision?

Can you block that person?

Somewhat, but anything substantial would mean I'd have to pay a programmer to modify the system.

Ugh! That's bad!! Some people have no shame!Maybe instead of a full newsletter, the sample newsletter is condensed with not all the stuff filled out.

Wow, what an effort to skirt paying the nominal fee you charge for your fabulous services.

That's the cleaned up version of what I would think

Can you personally contact the person and politely tell them to stop abusing your system?

I am SO not happy that I would have to punish everyone else (or at the very least, make it a little more inconvenient for them) just because of one person. I am angry, not for myself, but for all the wonderful and supportive paying customers I've had... this person's dishonesty is hurting them more than me.Part of me wants to confront her (I do have the email address...)Part of me wants to post her email address and let you all have a go at her (insert evil laugh).Part of me wants to let it go because people are just going to be dishonest and I can't constantly be worried about trying to head her off.But part of me (I have alot of parts) thinks it's not fair to everyone else to let her get away with it.

chefsteph07 said:
Can you personally contact the person and politely tell them to stop abusing your system?

Do you think someone who has gone to such lengths to avoid paying would even respond? How many people would say "Oh you caught me, sorry!"

I think even if I did, she wouldn't respond.

A part of me is voting for option number two...

I could also send her an invoice for past services rendered.... not that it would get me anywhere.So I'm not imagining it, right? There isn't any way this could be a simple misunderstanding?

BTW I guess everyone now knows the secret to getting a free newsletter too...(But I guess I'll have to make some changes to fix that.)

PampChefJoy said:
Do you think someone who has gone to such lengths to avoid paying would even respond? How many people would say "Oh you caught me, sorry!"

I think even if I did, she wouldn't respond.

but it might stop the behavior... If not, then we should get the e-mail address :D This is coming from someone who isn't using your service too. It's not that it's not good, but I am happy with the original service that was recommended to me.

Talk to them "direct". There is way too much 'he said, she said' stuff these days. And the inability to predict the true intent makes it hard too.

Awe, dang! You caught me!!! (Totally kidding of course, that's sooooo not me!)

I totally see your side of this. You provide a service. A PAID service. By trying to find loopholes, utilizing your samples and avoiding having to pay ... she's stealing. Plain & simple. :rolleyes:

Although I'm sure it's super tempting to out her in the open forum, you may want to look at any privacy policies that you may have advertised to your customers & make sure that you are not violating that agreement (if applicable). People sue for crazy stuff these days. :grumpy:

How many requests for a newsletter sample do you get a month? Maybe it's something that you can send out personally that way you can control how many one person gets. And then send a reminder "You've already got two free samples, please consider joining this wonderful service!"

You can also remind her that (1) Pampered Chef does offer a "free" newsletter for PWS subscribers already, she may be best served by that. or (2) Can you set up the sample newsletter as a static newsletter- that either is the same thing no matter how many times this person signs up for it, OR has outdated material on it? Include a disclaimer that this is a SAMPLE, so may not show current specials for the company, etc. I do like the idea of you sending it out personally to avoid the programmer costs.I hope this person is the only one defrauding you of your fees though.

Don't worry Sheila - I wouldn't... it just felt good to think wishfully :) Wadesgirl - I used to do everything manually and then invested in this automated system that frees up a lot of my time... I haven't felt the need to "police" the requests, and only glance at the confirmations every once in awhile, but this email address caught my eye as something familiar so I went in and did a search for it. I don't normally worry about multiple requests over time because there are any number of legitimate reasons for seeing the same person in there more than once. I don't think this was an honest request, though. To go back to sending out requests manually would probably cost me more in time than it is to give up the $15 subscription fee. I don't WANT her $15... but I do want her to pay the same as someone else would if she's going to use it.

esavvymom said:
You can also remind her that (1) Pampered Chef does offer a "free" newsletter for PWS subscribers already, she may be best served by that. or (2) Can you set up the sample newsletter as a static newsletter- that either is the same thing no matter how many times this person signs up for it, OR has outdated material on it? Include a disclaimer that this is a SAMPLE, so may not show current specials for the company, etc. I do like the idea of you sending it out personally to avoid the programmer costs.

I hope this person is the only one defrauding you of your fees though.

I can choose the sample newsletter to go out... I'm just going to have to make sure it's an old version now. Again, punishing everyone else for one person's dishonesty.

I'll probably send her an email directly in a day or so once I cool off... I can't say anything really nice right now.

Do you know what language your code is in? It should not take too long to write the lines of code to block this kind of activity from happening.

PampChefJoy said:
I can choose the sample newsletter to go out... I'm just going to have to make sure it's an old version now. Again, punishing everyone else for one person's dishonesty.

Look at it this way. It's not really punishing anyone. They are getting exactly what they ask for- a SAMPLE newsletter. You aren't promising them a CURRENT sample newsletter, just a sample of what your newsletter will look like. If it was me, that would be sufficient. When I requested those sorts of things years ago, that's exactly what I was looking for. Sample newsletters to decide and compare form/function/features, etc. The content being current with the company was irrelevant to me.

That's how I see it anyway. SO if you decided to put one single Sample Newsletter there, I'm sure no one (but this one freeloader) would care one bit! ;)

Personally, I would send her an email saying something like, "I see you have requested a sample a few times and unfortunately I won't be able to send you anymore. Are there any questions I can answer for you in regards to the service?" It is sad that some people do this! I could understand asking for a sample more than once, if the time between requests was like 6 months or more!

esavvymom said:
Look at it this way. It's not really punishing anyone. They are getting exactly what they ask for- a SAMPLE newsletter. You aren't promising them a CURRENT sample newsletter, just a sample of what your newsletter will look like. If it was me, that would be sufficient. When I requested those sorts of things years ago, that's exactly what I was looking for. Sample newsletters to decide and compare form/function/features, etc. The content being current with the company was irrelevant to me.

That's how I see it anyway. SO if you decided to put one single Sample Newsletter there, I'm sure no one (but this one freeloader) would care one bit! ;)

I agree! It is a sample to show your style of newsletter!

Please tell us it's only one person that has done this!
I'd be flaming mad.

"I see you have requested a sample FOR THREE SOLID YEARS WITHOUT PAYING and unfortunately I won't be able to send you anymore. Are there any questions I can answer for you in regards to the service?"

I dunno about just putting up an old sample, though. LOL, I was actually thinking about trying your service out since I read the thread about you discontinuing the service, then everyone asking you to keep it going. An old sample wouldn't really be useful for new sales, would it?

An old sample, though, would give people a good idea of what is offered. I understand your desire, Joy, not to punish everyone, but it's not really a punishment. When I request a free sample from some magazine/booklet people I get a truncated version, with a reminder that the full version comes with a paid subscription. I see nothing wrong with that.

raebates said:
An old sample, though, would give people a good idea of what is offered. I understand your desire, Joy, not to punish everyone, but it's not really a punishment. When I request a free sample from some magazine/booklet people I get a truncated version, with a reminder that the full version comes with a paid subscription. I see nothing wrong with that.

I agree. I cannot believe someone would cheat like that. Makes me wonder what kind of consultant they can be, really.

oh joy this is awful!!!!!!

Is there a way to block them like this site does "Sorry, you've reached your maximum sampling. In order to continue you must sign up." I know here on CS if you're a guest you can only click so many times until you are politely blocked.

Put up the old sample. Folks just need to know what your newsletter looks like. Change the sample IF you makes major changes in the newsletter and leave it at that.I'd be mad too. Sorry this has happened to you.

Can you make the "sample" something that can not be modified?
1) Make it a .pdf where if I am not mistaken, you can secure it with a password as well
2) Then place a diagonal watermark on the sample that says "SAMPLE" from corner to corner on the pages
3) Any place personal contact info should go, put in a fictitious consultants info but large enough to not be able to cover easily with a simple mailing label

I am sorry to hear this has happened. Some people have no morals. In fact, I am about to look at your service again myself as I need something that is much more eye catching.

wow! That is just not nice at all.
As we say in the south "bless her heart!"

Well, here's another thought...an honest letter? "Dear ___________" My records show that you have used my sample newsletter system now for over a year. The sample is meant to be just that--a sample--to see if you would like to subscribe. It is NOT meant to be something to be used every month for free. Tasty tidbits is my business, and my family depends on the income. In addition, what you are doing is quite frankly unfair to those who DO pay for the service. I appreciate the fact that you love my newsletter, and I appreciate your switching to a paid subscription. If i do not receive a paid subscription from you by_________, I will need to block your email address from the free sample service. Thanks for understanding that this is my business, just as your Pampered Chef business is your business. " Maybe this might work? Just telling her you are willing to take the steps to block her might do the trick.

Odds are, she'll just start creating bogus e-mail addresses to get what she wants each month.

I would simply send her a note stating the following:

Our records show that you have signed up for repeated free trials. Please be advised that there is only one free trial per person. We charge a nominal fee to cover the expenses of providing this free trial to you. Please visit this link if you want to continue to use this service ...

If I got an e-mail like this I would definitely respond along the lines posted above.

Last edited:
I like what Nanisu posted regarding what to say in the e-mail.

For the record, I wouldn't be offended if the sample was an old one. I'd just want to know how I could subscribe immediately.

If you have to use your consultant number to log in, I can't imagine how someone can do this with such frequency.

pampered1224 said:
Can you make the "sample" something that can not be modified?
1) Make it a .pdf where if I am not mistaken, you can secure it with a password as well
2) Then place a diagonal watermark on the sample that says "SAMPLE" from corner to corner on the pages
3) Any place personal contact info should go, put in a fictitious consultants info but large enough to not be able to cover easily with a simple mailing label

I am sorry to hear this has happened. Some people have no morals. In fact, I am about to look at your service again myself as I need something that is much more eye catching.

This is a great idea! It shows potential customers exactly what they'd be getting, but stops it from being free every month without paying for Joy's hard work.

Or - always use last month's info as the sample. It would still be fairly current, but of no use:angel:

I, too, would make it the last month's newsletter. That way it wouldn't mean a lot of extra work for Joy. If somebody REALLY wanted to they could work hard to make last month's newsletter work for the month ahead ... but they would have to do a lot of work and this is what Joy's newsletter helps us avoid!

An older newsletter is a good option, but what about the unlimited 15-day free trials? They could still get the current newsletter with that.

I am very sorry this happened to you Joy. I agree with the others. I am so sorry that it always takes one bad apple to ruin it for the whole bunch. You must protect your business.

I too think using an older newsletter(s) as the sample(s) is a good idea.
Post several old ones. Do not change samples ever unless you put out some magnificent change in the format. I personally would get rid of the free trial period. No one does that anymore without credit card info. If we can not make up our minds from the samples, then so be it. It would be a lot less work for you. I certainly can not go to Kinkos and ask for a sample of one of their signs and use it for a few months before I decide. All I can see are sample pictures. Office Depot will not copy something for me just to see how it looks. Then make sure I have 1000s of them for free to mail out to see if my customers like them! They are gonna charge me the 39 cents for each copy. Essentially that is what you are doing by giving that 15 days. You are giving away your business.

Maybe there can be 2 versions of the website: One for regular subscribers, the other for people on a 15 day trial. The trial version would be exactly what the subscribers saw last month. That way they can see what the newsletter looks like, even e-mail it to themselves to see how it looks. Then if they want to send the "sample" out they'd have to make a lot of modifications.

I have to say I have struggled with whether to invest in this newsletter ... until somebody told me what they were paying for Constant Contact. They thought it was a bargain over direct mail. I thought it was INCREDIBLY steep. But then, they are a bookstore while I am a hobby consultant struggling to make a profit. And when other newsletter services sent me a sample that was YEARS old and not down-loadable, honestly, I got a bad taste in my mouth for that service. It was standardized for another company and didn't show me what a Pampered Chef newsletter would look like. I took that to mean I'd have to design it myself. So that's what I did for a while without using their service.

However, if I saw a newsletter for your service that was a month or two old ... I would still see what the newsletter looked like.

Nanisu said:
Well, here's another thought...an honest letter? "Dear ___________" My records show that you have used my sample newsletter system now for over a year. The sample is meant to be just that--a sample--to see if you would like to subscribe. It is NOT meant to be something to be used every month for free. Tasty tidbits is my business, and my family depends on the income. In addition, what you are doing is quite frankly unfair to those who DO pay for the service. I appreciate the fact that you love my newsletter, and I appreciate your switching to a paid subscription. If i do not receive a paid subscription from you by_________, I will need to block your email address from the free sample service. Thanks for understanding that this is my business, just as your Pampered Chef business is your business. " Maybe this might work? Just telling her you are willing to take the steps to block her might do the trick.

This. I really do think you should send this.

Well, here we are at the beginning of a new month and she just signed up AGAIN... I figured out how to make it so you cannot sign up with the same email address and ip address...so she used a different email address (not hard to figure out - she just added a 1 to the end of her old one). I went ahead and deleted her access but not sure if she had a chance to get what she needed in the few hours that she's had access.I know you think I should confront her but part of me thinks it's not even worth it because if she's gone to these lengths, changing email addresses etc, she knows it's wrong and she's trying to bypass the system and I cannot make a threat like you can't sign up again because she's obviously figured out the way around that. I can say "don't do it again" but is she really going to pay attention to that? If all I can do is email her and say I know what you're doing and it's wrong... well, I'm just not sure it's going to elicit any kind of response from her, let alone an apology. Maybe I should send her a paypal invoice, though... hehe.

Publish her email here...we'll take care of her for ya

Sheesh, Joy. I didn't understand it because I've only signed up for the free trials and not the samples ... and I thought that once you enter your consultant ID that pretty much "outs" us to you.

I would make the sample as generic as possible ... Jane Consultant, 123 Any Street, etc. And maybe old stuff in it too.

I know in the past I've signed up for another free trial because I intended to sign up at the end of the trial period but didn't ... and so much time passed that I was out of the system, or so I thought. So I said, "Oh, OK ... I'll sign up next month."

I don't know how many free trials/sample requests you get each month, but maybe you would consider stopping that feature for a month and see what she does. Otherwise, just use an old version as a sample, like others said. With the holidays coming, she just may decide to pay for the service--we can hope.I've used your newsletter for several years and LOVE IT! So sorry there are dishonest consultants out there trying to take advantage of you.

Here's an option: How about making the "Free" trial such that you refund the membership fee to clients who are not satisfied and do not wish to continue?

I think you should email her and let her know that you know what she is doing and that it is wrong. She's either thinking she's beating your system, or she knows that you know and she's playing a game with you because she thinks you can't stop her....or she's reading these postings and laughing at you/us.....seriously. I would email her and tell her she needs to stop stealing and just buy a subscription. After that she will either cooperate or continue to make up new email addresses and steal from you. You won't lose anything by confronting her, she's already getting what she wants from you; you may just guilt her in to doing the right thing and pay you....or maybe she will just go away.

Joy, I am going to be very blunt here. Stop complaining about it and do something about it. YOU AND YOU ALONE have control of this. If the issue is that you are literally giving your service away because of the 15-day free trial, then get rid of it! And here is some more news for you, she is not the only one doing it. You already know some other people out here who are doing it too without intending too! So as you focus solely on this one lady, how many more are doing it without your knowledge? Or how many more will because you have now advertised that it is OK because you won't do anything about it? Think about it, I may as well give away cookware sets to get bookings! close the frickn' loop hole in your system and be done with this discussion.
You have two choices here:
1) Let everyone walk all over your hard work or
2) Remove Free Trial option

Give me the hundreds of dollars it's going to cost to hire someone to re-program the system. I don't know how to change the programming for the 15 day free trial myself.Sorry you have to listen to me complain.

<h2>1. What is "Talk Me Down From the Ledge... I'm so Peeved Right Now"?</h2><p>"Talk Me Down From the Ledge... I'm so Peeved Right Now" is a subscription program offered by Pampered Chef that provides support and guidance for customers who may be feeling overwhelmed or frustrated while using our products.</p><h2>2. How does the subscription program work?</h2><p>Once you sign up for the program, you will receive weekly emails with tips, tricks, and advice on how to use our products effectively. You will also have access to our customer support team for any additional assistance you may need.</p><h2>3. What do you mean by "subscription activity from the same email address"?</h2><p>This refers to multiple sign-ups or requests for samples or trial subscriptions from the same email address. This could indicate that the person is not satisfied with their initial purchase and is seeking more free products or services.</p><h2>4. What would you think if you saw this type of subscription activity from the same email address?</h2><p>If I saw multiple sign-ups or requests for samples from the same email address, I would be concerned that the person may not be satisfied with their initial purchase and may be trying to take advantage of our trial subscriptions. I would also wonder if they are genuinely interested in our products or just looking for free items.</p><h2>5. How many samples and trial subscriptions does it take to make a decision?</h2><p>The number of samples and trial subscriptions needed to make a decision varies from person to person. We recommend trying a few different products or services to get a good sense of what we offer and how it can benefit you. However, repeatedly signing up for free trials without purchasing anything may not give an accurate representation of our products and could be considered misuse of our subscription program.</p>

Related to Talk Me Down From the Ledge... I'm so Peeved Right Now.

1. What is "Talk Me Down From the Ledge... I'm so Peeved Right Now"?

"Talk Me Down From the Ledge... I'm so Peeved Right Now" is a subscription program offered by Pampered Chef that provides support and guidance for customers who may be feeling overwhelmed or frustrated while using our products.

2. How does the subscription program work?

Once you sign up for the program, you will receive weekly emails with tips, tricks, and advice on how to use our products effectively. You will also have access to our customer support team for any additional assistance you may need.

3. What do you mean by "subscription activity from the same email address"?

This refers to multiple sign-ups or requests for samples or trial subscriptions from the same email address. This could indicate that the person is not satisfied with their initial purchase and is seeking more free products or services.

4. What would you think if you saw this type of subscription activity from the same email address?

If I saw multiple sign-ups or requests for samples from the same email address, I would be concerned that the person may not be satisfied with their initial purchase and may be trying to take advantage of our trial subscriptions. I would also wonder if they are genuinely interested in our products or just looking for free items.

5. How many samples and trial subscriptions does it take to make a decision?

The number of samples and trial subscriptions needed to make a decision varies from person to person. We recommend trying a few different products or services to get a good sense of what we offer and how it can benefit you. However, repeatedly signing up for free trials without purchasing anything may not give an accurate representation of our products and could be considered misuse of our subscription program.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Bren706
  • Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • PampChefJoy
  • Flyers and Letters
Replies