• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Update on the Happenings in Japan

In summary, the news out of Japan is not good. They are going to start dispersing waste from the Tsunami area all over the country, which is not good.
Sheila
Gold Member
Well, I'm still in TX and settled in for the long haul. Hubby, however is still on the base in Tokyo. Many of the dependents have returned. Hubby & I are in agreement that it's not the right decision for our 2 year old & 3 year old to return to Japan just yet.

Many people think we've lost our minds and are convinced that everything is safe. I was in the ER last night with severe abdominal pains that was coming in waves. They sent me down for a CT scan & I made a joke with the techs that I had left Japan to get away from extra radiation and here I was doing a CT Scan. They asked for details, so I gave them a super quick (30 second) synopsis that I was living here in the states right now with our toddlers. They both looked at me and with a very serious tone, agreed with one another that it was the smartest decision for children that young to be taken out of the area. It made me feel a bit better that the only 2 people I've talked to who actually have training in the hazards of radiation - approved of my decision. ;) Sad for the country of Japan but it helped me to justify my reasoning a bit.

Today's news out of Japan is that they are going to start taking waste from the Tsunami area & dispersing it to various places in the country, because the local waste can't handle the volume. http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/17_12.html

What does this mean? Well, it's NOT good! Let's say they take a piece of lumber from Sendai ... an area that's been hit with higher levels of radiation and ship that sucker down to a waste facility in southern Japan. If that facility burns it, they are not getting rid of the radiation, they are breaking it down into smaller particles that are more easily absorbed by living organisms. If they bury it, they are putting their local water supply at higher risk of contamination. But they won't be sending just ONE board out of the Tsunami stricken areas, they will be dispersing tons of debris all over the country of Japan! The various waste facilities will then be spreading the particles in the air/water throughout the country. This is NOT good news. :( Here's what the Institute for Energy and Environmental Research has to say on burning/burying radioactive materials: IEER Publications

That coming out after the discovery that the core in Plant #1 actually did melt a bit back in March: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/16_17.html

I'm sooooo glad my babies are in the states right now & not in Japan. :( I'm really hoping that hubby doesn't have any long term effects from being there. :(

Wow, Sheila. All I can say is "GOOD FOR YOU!". If I've learned anything over the years about raising children, it's that I (and my husband) am the BEST, and often times, the ONLY advocate for my children's health, safety, well-being, etc. It's hard to buck what the world says is right, but when you know in heart that you are doing what's best, YOU ARE DOING WHAT'S BEST!

We've been praying for you and your family, and will continue to do so!

Sheila, make sure its documented in his medical records bc when he gets out an if anything does happen the VA will cover it. I work around radiation for my job so I asked them that question, and they said as long as its documented it should be good. I would agree with you about not returning just yet.

I agree you should stay put in Texas. How much longer is your husband enlisted for? I fear more sad news will come from Japan regarding all the radiation.

Thanks everyone. Gail, he won't finish the Japan assignment until Summer 2013. :( At that point, he will be a couple of months away from the 14 year mark. He says every time he's going to get out & be done, but when it comes right down to it he comes to his senses & re-enlists. So I'm hoping if he's THAT close to the 20 year mark that he will finish and get retirement! ;) I think it would be a smart move to retire & be able to keep the Tricare Health Insurance since he may end up having issues later after living so long in Japan.

Sheila,

Thanks for the update. On a slightly different tangent, are you okay? (You did start out this post in the ER).

Yes, 12 mm cyst on my right ovary. For some reason it wasn't hurting on the right ovary, but up by the belly button. I researched on line and learned that belly button pain means 2 things ... labor (which I knew wasn't my problem) ... or appendix. It had gone on 24 hours & I was starting to experience some of the other appendix symptoms, so I figured I better go in before it ruptured and left me unconscious in the house, alone with 2 toddlers. But the CT scan showed the appendix and the gall bladder as being perfectly fine. If I had known it was just a cyst, I wouldn't have wasted my time or theirs. I've had them before & know that once it bursts the discomfort will go away. ;) They did give me Tylenol 3 to help ease the pain, but I can't take it when the kids are up. I've only had 1 dose, Sun night and BOY did I sleep good that night! ;)

Sheila, as a retired vet (20 years reserves), I agree that he's so close to 20 he should stay in. It's worth it in the end. I won't see my retirement for almost 20 years, but that's because I chose the reserves.

My younger sister got out after 16 years. I still can't fathom it. Her reason (that I couldn't argue against) was that she had no desire to get deployed. I spent my time in Iraq with someone who moaned the entire time that she was a houswife and mommy who should have been at home. Funny how you like the extra income but get mad when the strings that are attached to it are pulled...

Happy to know that you will be okay and the pain will subside soon. You have definately been given some fabulous advice here and I concur with all of it. Love that you and your boys are in Texas, great decision! I am sorry that your hubby is still in Japan, I know that part is hard. You are truly inspiring and display great strength and resilience. Though I know you are busy, if you don't already belong to one of the wive's clubs for service members, you would be such an asset to their organizations! You have such a way with everything you do. Just a thought. Please continue to keep us up to date. Blessings to you and your family Sheila. Where in Texas are you?

smart2cook said:
Happy to know that you will be okay and the pain will subside soon. You have definately been given some fabulous advice here and I concur with all of it. Love that you and your boys are in Texas, great decision! I am sorry that your hubby is still in Japan, I know that part is hard. You are truly inspiring and display great strength and resilience. Though I know you are busy, if you don't already belong to one of the wive's clubs for service members, you would be such an asset to their organizations! You have such a way with everything you do. Just a thought. Please continue to keep us up to date. Blessings to you and your family Sheila. Where in Texas are you?

Thanks! And I'm in Dallas. ;)

We are retired with 23 years in the sub service. My husband has done 24 patrols in that time frame. We are on tri-care prime (retired) and it is pretty good. We live about 1.5 hours out of ST. Louis and don't have a problem finding providers. Unless the government continues this ridiculous beaurocratic BS that would change all of the bene's that military retiree's are suppose to get. My dad served for 23 years and was told that he and my mom would have insurance for life....well guess what...NOT TRUE she has to pay for the service. Mind you I am not complaining on the price, but things do change over time. No Guarantees! Congrats to your husband for serving 14 years. I hope that he stays in for the long haul! It is well worth it in the end! To all of our active, retirees and those that will be serving our country.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENDLESS AND NON SELFISH SERVICE TO PROTECT OUR COUNTRY!

How much is she paying? I talked to a spouse of a retiree the other day & she said they pay $400 & something a YEAR for insurance.

1. What is the current situation in Japan after the recent disasters?

The recent disasters in Japan, including the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear plant accident, have left the country in a state of devastation. The government and people of Japan are working tirelessly to recover and rebuild.

2. How has the disaster affected the supply of Pampered Chef products from Japan?

The supply of Pampered Chef products from Japan has been affected by the disasters. Our team is working closely with our suppliers to assess the situation and find alternative sources for our products.

3. Are any of the Pampered Chef products made in the affected areas of Japan?

Some of our products are made in the affected areas of Japan. However, we are closely monitoring the situation and taking necessary measures to ensure the safety and quality of our products.

4. Are there any plans for Pampered Chef to support relief efforts in Japan?

Yes, Pampered Chef is committed to supporting relief efforts in Japan. We have partnered with various organizations to provide aid and assistance to those affected by the disasters.

5. Is it safe to purchase and use Pampered Chef products from Japan at this time?

Yes, it is safe to purchase and use Pampered Chef products from Japan. Our products go through rigorous quality control measures to ensure they meet safety standards and regulations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Sheila