• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Successfully Hosting a Show with a High Maintenance Host

In summary, the show was a disaster. Linda did not receive any orders from the show and only made $175 in sales.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I had a show the other night that I JUST KNEW would be a GREAT one! I taked to the host several times and she seemed very enthusiastic. She was expecting 22-25 people and some would be couples so she wanted my DH to come too - said that her DH and my DH could be the designated grillers (her DH and my DH know each other - I did not know her). DH didn't want to come, but she insisted. She wanted a grilling recipe and I am a sucky griller so DH relented and decided to come with me and do the grilling. She was co-hosting and having the party at her BFF home on their deck in the "summer kitchen". A few days before the party we talk about the recipe - she wants me to do all kinds of things. I finally told her that she was more than welcome to prepare anything else that she wanted, but I would only demo one recipe - and that I would bring the Strawberry Cream Trifle with me and we'd top it off at the show.

She's real excited, telling that there will be lots of pilots, flight attendants, lawyers, doctors, and teachers there. I asked if everyone was bringing their spouse, she said only @ 5 were and the rest were single - and that there would be a few kids too so be sure and bring my son. This is where I SHOULD have seen the big red lights! Out of the 22-25 people she was expecting, only 10 were adults and the rest were kids!

When I got to the house where we were hosting, it was a little uncomfortable. There was no place available for me to do my demo (I didnt bring my table b/c she had said they had a huge bar area....um, not so huge) So, my DH and the BFF DH go looking for one- I wound-up with a small card table). I could tell the BFF and BFF-DH were not completely "in the know" about this whole set-up and that BFF only found out the party was at her house a few days before. BFF started getting out the ingredients and chicken and shrimp - I told her that I didn't need shrimp for my recipe, only chicken - BFF kinda got PO'd at this point and said that the Host had said to buy it. I told her that the host must be planning to do something else with it. Of course the other host wasn't there yet.

So, finally BFF and I are having a nice conversation and she asked me what was new with PC as she hadn't seen a catalog in a long time :eek: I asked her if host had given her the package I sent 3-weeks ago....nope! At this point BFF is getting annoyed at Host and informs me that Host is a huge manipulator :eek: great!

Are ya still with me? So, everyone finally arrives and we start - 45 mins late! I felt like the hired help! I was demo-ing the Avocado Grapefruit & Chicken Salad and Host was supposed to have all sorts of other things prepared - guess what? She had nothing. She had my DH grill several ponds of shrimp for her though :rolleyes: We doubled the salad recipe and of course it was not enough to feed everyone DINNER. BFF wasn't too happy about the 'meal' and wondered very loudly why I didn't cook enough for everyone....grrrr

So, no bookings (kinda glad about that too) and only $175 in sales.

Then, Host asks me for more catalogs - I asked her if she had already given out the 8 catalogs that I sent her for her and BFF to share....what a shocked look on her face then - she informs me that she 'forgot' all about about them.

Okay, I feel better now.

I'll feel tons better when BFF and Host place thier orders - the way they were talking they are planning to order lots.....I'll believe it when I see it! GRRRRR! I just want this one to be history!

So, the moral of this story is: Don't forget to ask detailed questions when host coaching and READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!!!!! And, don't let High Maintenance Hosts tell you hos to do your job.

Ugh - sorry Linda! It sounds like she basically "hired" you to cook for her party and then "forgot" to pay you!! What a manipulator is right!! Just stick to the closing date (she seems like the type that would be wishy-washy about that), close it out, and say "bye bye" to her for good! Let her DH and your DH be friends and leave it at that. ((HUGS))!

Another funny thing. Her DH said that we should get together and have dinner again sometime - huh? I said oh, that sounds like fun, I'd love to get together again when I'm not working.

Oh Linda what a bummer, sorry this happened to you. {{hugs}} It's really amazing what some people expect from you.

I'm so sorry Linda! I HATE that when you're expected to do EVERYTHING! Bless and Release! You've got to feel better now! !:)

Miss Linda, I'm so sorry about this! What a flop! I had a similar experience where I was begged by the host to bring my DH so her DH and mine could do guy things together in her DH's Manshed- (okay, that sounded a little kinky, sorry about that) anyway- only 3 guests showed up-the Hosts DH didn't want my DH to come over like host said he wanted him to, so they sat there and twittled their thumbs. DH was so ticked at me for making him uncomfortable for 2.5 hours that he didn't talk to me the entire trip home and we got lost and it took over 2 hours to get home.

I totally feel your pain and I hope that you end up squeaking a little bit more in sales out of that "show" and I'm so sorry that the host put you, your DH and her BFF through all this! How sad!!!

I had to giggle when you typed that she had your DH grill a few ponds of shrimp. I could picture you all with your shrimping nets trying to catch all the shrimp in the ponds to cook them! LOL I knew you meant pounds, but it was a funny typo and it made me laugh.

Sorry that you had to experience this- I thought I remember you telling us you were excited about this show!

Thanks ya'll. DH told me she was the definition of a High Maintenance Woman - and he was right! Skinny skinny skinny with extremely disproportionate mondo silicone boobies (can something that large end in 'ies'?), permanent make-up and perfect hair, teeth, and nails. Very loud and was the center of attention. I hate fake!

Kitchen Diva said:
........I had to giggle when you typed that she had your DH grill a few ponds of shrimp. I could picture you all with your shrimping nets trying to catch all the shrimp in the ponds to cook them! LOL I knew you meant pounds, but it was a funny typo and it made me laugh.

Sorry that you had to experience this- I thought I remember you telling us you were excited about this show!
LOL, I missed that (I try to catch typos)

I was excited, I thought I was getting into a great new group. They were really nice, the orders were smalll so I'm thinking that they didn't really know what they were in for. She handled the invites so there's no telling what she told them. On the bright side, there was a lawyer/pilot there who needs new cookware. The BFF said she was trying to talk hinm into having a party at his house and that she would hanlde everything....I'm afraid! But, the BFF seems to be more earthly than the HMH (high maintenance host). We'll see, I wont' turn it down, but I will ask a lot more questions and take more charge the next time.

I've not been burned like this before, so I guess it was my time. It was a good lesson and a reminder on host coaching too.

Yuck Linda!

Sorry it was so disappointing!

pamperedlinda said:
And, don't let High Maintenance Hosts tell you hos to do your job.

I resent that. We're not "hos"

LOL I am just kidding Linda. You know the punctuation police would be after you!!

You made it thru the show and that's what matters!!

Look at it this way--at least you have a really great "You'll never top this!" story. ;)

vwpamperedchef said:
I resent that. We're not "hos"

LOL I am just kidding Linda. You know the punctuation police would be after you!!

You made it thru the show and that's what matters!!
LOL - I'm a self-taught typist! I can't type very well w/o looking at the keypad and make all kinds of mistakes when I look away. Oh well, you know what I meant - right? I meant to type 'how' not 'hos'!

raebates said:
Look at it this way--at least you have a really great "You'll never top this!" story. ;)
Oh, I hope so! If I top it I will be in really sad shape!

I def. knew what you meant! I've had a long day and the chuckle was just what I needed!! Funny!

vwpamperedchef said:
I def. knew what you meant! I've had a long day and the chuckle was just what I needed!! Funny!
Good...but I did feel a little like a 'kitchen ho' at her house. LOL!

At least she didn't have a potty in her kitchen. :yuck:

chefann said:
At least she didn't have a potty in her kitchen. :yuck:
Thankfully - gross!

rennea said:
Ann you will always have the top spot for worst show won't you!!http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/sick0019.gif And I think I speak for everyone when I say you can have it!! Oh what fun times:p

At our last cluster meeting, we talked about not getting discouraged with a bad show, because we had a new consultant. Anyway, I had to share Ann's potty party, as I don't think there could be a worse story than that. My cluster mates agreed with me! LOL

Oh no! Sorry Linda!

what is ann's potty story?

chefmoseley said:
I was just going to ask the same thing. I even did a search for toilet but couldn't find it!

Sorry about your bad experience, but I have been getting quite a few laughs out of your typos, I loved the hos! I was saying, right on girl!! I'm kinda upset it was just a typo! LOL Maybe this will turn out to be a great party! You never know.

My absolutely best friend had a show, she had been promising for 2 year PC career and finally had one. Invited her 40 guests, 17 came, 3 outside orders, 2 bookings, $1400 and still growing in sales. At the end of the night she said" wow did you ever work hard for the show, I hope PC pays you well" She was the best host, did everything I host coached about and still thanked me. Too bad all hosts could not be like this :>)
Cathy

Wowhow rude of HMH!!! Hope they give you some great orders!!

chefmoseley said:
Oh my gosh! I just read the potty story.

One question I asked my recruiter the first time I met with her was about going into people's homes and if there had ever been any problems. She said the worst she could think of was that one family had a lot of cats and didn't clean up after them much.

I'm grateful now that so far my worst show has only been bad because of low sales. That is way better than having to deal with anythings potty habits! eek!

Back to the original thread...
Good reminder to maybe ask how many adult RSVP's do you have instead of just in general.

I've been lucky so far. Host's have been surprised when I've said I don't mind if there are a few children there. One host was amazed that I humored her son and started using the paper fan he gave me even though it was freezing!

Debala715 said:
At our last cluster meeting, we talked about not getting discouraged with a bad show, because we had a new consultant. Anyway, I had to share Ann's potty party, as I don't think there could be a worse story than that. My cluster mates agreed with me! LOL

Don't forget to always mention how well Ann managed the show and herself. I don't think I could have done it. ;)

Bless your heart. Sorry you ahd to experience this. But very glad you shared because we can all learn from this.

I'm getting ready to submit the show. Grand total: $375.71. I'm so happy to be DONE with this one!

It is almost like it is a rite of passage in PC-world to have a show like that. And by "that" I mean high maintainance hostess, unconfirmed plans or "fictional" plans, the whole works. I have my own story where I ended up in the corner of a living room trying to do a demo while competing for attention with the big screen TV next to me that was blaring a Cowboys football game. It was so pitiful. And I love the 'boys too...just wanted to sit down with a beer and watch the game myself. I don't think the TWO guests would have noticed. Oh yeah, the neighbors all came over after a while wanting the food. So...I was there to just cook for the party. Good times!!!! I think we could all write a book.

oh, Linda :( I think we've all had one of these at some point (the newbies will , too, one day.) Sorry you had to have that experience, but remember that shoes (and HMH-s) are not the norm.Someday you'll look back on it & laugh -- just like Ann & the PC potty!

My AD had an idea to collect all those stories and publish a book, called Tales From the Crate. She's got some real doozies, too. But a lot of hers are from when she started 16 or more years ago, when people weren't as familiar with PC.

pamperedlinda said:

Are you flippin kidding me? She actually got up and "went" right there in front of everyone? :yuck: :yuck:

I've had a mother/daughter tag team that I have (stupidly) done 2 shows and a catalog show for. I even did really good host coaching and they told me at each show there were at least 12 people attending. The first time it was mom & daughter and daughters friend. The second time it was mom, daughter, sister-in-law and s-i-l mom.
I find it amazing that everyone cancels just before I walk in the door!

Thankfully they haven't booked again.

Related to Successfully Hosting a Show with a High Maintenance Host

1. How do I handle a high maintenance host?

High maintenance hosts can be challenging, but it's important to stay professional and focus on providing a great show for their guests. One tip is to clearly set expectations and boundaries during host coaching, and be assertive in sticking to your plan for the show. It's also helpful to have a backup plan in case things don't go as expected.

2. How can I make sure a high maintenance host is prepared for the show?

Host coaching is key when it comes to preparing a high maintenance host for the show. Be sure to ask detailed questions about their expectations and preferences, and provide clear instructions on what is needed from them. It's also a good idea to follow up and confirm that they have everything they need before the show.

3. How can I handle a situation where the host has not followed through on their responsibilities?

If the host has not followed through on their responsibilities, it's important to address the issue calmly and professionally. Remind them of their commitments and ask if there is anything you can do to help. If necessary, have a backup plan in place to ensure the show runs smoothly despite any shortcomings from the host.

4. What should I do if the host has not invited enough guests?

If the host has not invited enough guests, it's important to stay positive and focus on engaging and entertaining the guests who are in attendance. You can also suggest ways for the host to reach out to more guests in the future, such as through social media or personal invitations. Remember that even a small group can lead to potential bookings and sales.

5. Is it okay to say no to a high maintenance host's requests?

Yes, it is okay to say no to a high maintenance host's requests if they are unreasonable or go against company policies. It's important to communicate politely and respectfully, and offer alternative solutions when possible. Remember that as a consultant, you are in charge of running the show and providing a great experience for the guests, so don't be afraid to assert yourself if necessary.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefKristal
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • Diamond
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
bellakieu
  • amuia