• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling with Performance Anxiety Before My First Show

and the mandoline will get easier with use - personal style: you can be as personal or professional as you want. there's no wrong way to do this! just make sure you're honest with people if you make a mistake...and remember, practice makes perfect! :)
IAmChefJ
I have my first show Friday night, which I've been SO excited about for weeks now. However, in the past 24 hours I've developed a horrible case of the blues.

For starters... I hate the ultimate mandoline. I've practiced and practiced, but it feels clunky and uncomfortable to me. And I don't want to be selling products I don't believe in.

I've been disappointed in some of the products - most noticeably the bamboo utensils which turned funny colors on me. (Handy Scraper did the same)

I'm horribly nervous about getting up and talking in front of everyone, and every time I practice my spiels I feel stupid and I forget things. My 11 year old has to prompt me -- she's doing a better job at learning this than I am.

Just had to vent. I want to be excited -- I have 5 shows lined up, and I'm certain I'm going to qualify. But right now I'm wondering what the heck I've gotten myself into. :(

Thanks for listening.

The products get easier with use. I love my mandoline. If you are putting too much pressure on the food holder, it will not slice correctly. You have to let the food holder do the downward work while you just glide it on the track.

As for your show, no one will know if you mess up unless you tell them! I still use notecards to this day, helps with those key important things so you don't forget.

We all go through that at times. Don't bring your ultimate mandolin if you don't like it. I don't like it either, and if someone asked about it, I was honest with them... I sold maybe 3 of them total.

A paste of baking soda and water left to sit on your scrapers will get the colors out. It took me a couple of tries before the spaghetti sauce I was making came out of the scraper.

As far as the bamboo- mine haven't turned colors, but they have peeled, cracked, warped, and taken on water- which they should not do. Talk to your director about it, or call HO and see if you can get replacements.

Don't let a few issues with a few products get you down. Our forged cutlery is to DIE for, so are ANY of our cookware pieces. Our batter bowls, and prep bowl, and mixing bowls are AWESOME! I am very impressed with our high end items, and I really talked those up at my shows! The tool turn-about is very handy and high quality, and so are most of the smaller kitchen tools.

Personally, my favorite scrapers come from Williams Sonoma. I feel they are superior to PC's in every way and their handles are easier on my wrists and hands which tire easily from carpal tunnel. I think when it comes to basic things like veggie peelers, and scrapers, and bamboo- there isn't much you can do to a tool like that to really make it stand out in the crowd and besides, you won't LOVE every product we sell.

My advice is to take a deep breath and bring an outline with maybe a sentence starter for each bullet point to help you through your first show. We've all been there, and I was using notes well into my 12th show- just tell people you are new and you are going to have fun and encourage them to join you, no matter how many mistakes you might make.

My first 4 shows laughed with me when I screwed up!

And again this is PAMPERED Chef, not PERFECT chef- so cut yourself some slack and step away from practicing for awhile. Sometimes I think if you study too hard you are worse off than if you just go over it once or twice.

Make sure you tell us how your first show goes! Good Luck! :)

Last edited:
You shouldn't be having that kind of trouble with the bamboo...call HO and get it exchanged. (PC is really strict on quality control, but if they don't know there's a problem with a manufacturer, they can't fix it.)

I've had some of my scrapers for over 10 years...and they're still going strong. As Kacey says though, you're not going to love every product...but you can believe in the overall quality, exceptional design, and commitment to customer service that Pampered Chef is know for. :)

OK, sounds like you're dealing with a few different things here:
- nerves: it's natural! once you get to your show, the adrenaline will kick in and you'll do fine
- products: everyone has products they love and hate...so don't use the ones you hate. you can use the utility knife just as easily as the mandoline. with regard to the bamboo and scraper, call home office (solution center) and have them replaced or exchanged.
- keep the spiels to a minimum: introduce yourself, thank the host, direct the guests as they make the recipe. and let them eat/drink/socialize/shop, and then do the full-service checkout (oppty/host/buy). try to think of it as the focus is on the host and guests, not you.

you'll do great - have fun and let us know how it went!

susanr613 said:
OK, sounds like you're dealing with a few different things here:
- nerves: it's natural! once you get to your show, the adrenaline will kick in and you'll do fine
- products: everyone has products they love and hate...so don't use the ones you hate. you can use the utility knife just as easily as the mandoline. with regard to the bamboo and scraper, call home office (solution center) and have them replaced or exchanged.
- keep the spiels to a minimum: introduce yourself, thank the host, direct the guests as they make the recipe. and let them eat/drink/socialize/shop, and then do the full-service checkout (oppty/host/buy). try to think of it as the focus is on the host and guests, not you.

you'll do great - have fun and let us know how it went!

I second that! :)

So, how did the show go? I didn't get a chance to catch up on the site until today, so I couldn't offer any advice. I hope things went fabulously!

It went fine, AND I'm feeling much better. Small show, but four of the five guests booked! Woo Hooo! It's SO much easier to have the other people use the mandoline, because they aren't expected to make it work perfectly. It's different than the consultant not doing it right, LOL

Funny how bookings can cheer you up, eh? :)

If you have practiced and practice and STILL don't LOVE the UM - then don't use it - that is my suggestion. Other may disagree. But you can TRY all you want to fake liking a product - but you aren't gonna be successful. I have NEVER used the UM during a show for the demo part. I HAVE used the UM and a potatoe in a quick demo, though.

Here is what my ED told me (who LOVES the UM):
- don't use too much pressure; your emphasis should be more back and forth angle instead of downward.
- HER suggestion is to NOT use the Food Holder for the first bit of slicing - it is big and awkward for the first 5 slices or so
- demo the DCG instead of the UM for grating cheese - it is messy to use the UM. The grating blade for the UM works AWESOME for potatos (hashbrowns), zucchini or carrots (for muffins, loaf, etc.)

HTH

IAmChefJ said:
It went fine, AND I'm feeling much better. Small show, but four of the five guests booked! Woo Hooo! It's SO much easier to have the other people use the mandoline, because they aren't expected to make it work perfectly. It's different than the consultant not doing it right, LOL

Funny how bookings can cheer you up, eh? :)

YEAH!! FOUR BOOKINGS from only FIVE PEOPLE?!!?!!

You go girl!

You are a booking diva! :) I'd like to think I had something to do with that...

(kidding)

1. How can I manage my nerves before my first show?

Performance anxiety is completely normal, especially before your first show. One way to manage nerves is to practice deep breathing and positive self-talk. Remind yourself that you have prepared for this and trust in your abilities.

2. What can I do if I freeze up on stage?

If you find yourself freezing up on stage, take a deep breath and focus on your breathing. Try to relax your muscles and continue with the performance as best as you can. Remember, mistakes happen and it's important to keep going.

3. Should I avoid caffeine before my show?

It's best to avoid caffeine before a show as it can increase anxiety and make it more difficult to focus. Stick to water or herbal tea to stay hydrated and calm.

4. How can I boost my confidence before my first show?

One way to boost your confidence is to visualize yourself performing successfully. This can help calm your nerves and give you a sense of control. Also, remind yourself of all the hard work and dedication you have put into your performance.

5. Is it normal to feel nervous even after many performances?

Yes, it's completely normal to still feel nervous even after many performances. Each show is unique and can bring about different levels of anxiety. It's important to acknowledge and accept your nerves, and use them to fuel your performance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefSharain
  • meginsf21
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
meginsf21
  • esavvymom