• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling with Fishy Smells & Sticky Pans: Help Needed!

In summary, a customer asked for tips on using stoneware and shared concerns about lingering fish smell and difficulty with removing food from pans. Suggestions include using a whole tube of crescent rolls to help with the smell, brushing on oil for seasoning, and using a dishwasher to clean stoneware. It is also explained that soap can leave a flavor on stoneware because it bonds with fats and oils, but hot water and a pan scraper can effectively remove food residue without soap.
lanelly7
I have a customer who recently asked me two questions I couldn't answer.
1) Everything she cooks on her round stone still smells like the fish she cooked on it awhile ago. Can it be fixed?
2) Foods don't come out of her loaf pan and muffin pan easily. She said she has used them several times, and still oils the pans, but still a struggle to get the food out of the pans.

Anyone deal with this before? I'm still a relatively new stone user, so I didn't have too many tips to share with her.

Thanks!

As far as the fish smell, she can lay out a whole tube of crescent rolls so it covers the surface, bake and toss away. That shoule help with that.

does she spray oil?? Perhaps she should try using the silicone brush with oil till they get seasoned.

I've used the Baker's Joy on the fluted stone and also I've done oil brushed on. Both ways, for me, came out perfectly. Now, when I did the microcakes, I noticed a little bit more of residue. I definitely recommend the kitchen brush for cleaning all those nooks and crannies.For the fish smell... does her stone maybe have hairline cracks and the oil and odors are seeping down into it? I had a rectangular baker that did that and had it replaced. Is she cleaning it with really hot water and scraping it? Did she try making a baking soda paste?

It may take 10-12 uses (of brushing on oil) to season a specialty stone.

I would do as Wadesgirl suggests to try to get rid of the Fish smell - if not - call HO and see what they suggest ????

I know you are all GASPING right now and I never tell my hosts or guests this, but I put all my stoenware in the dishwasher. Have for years and never had a bad taste or a broken stone ( knock on wood) None of my stones are seasoned either and that is fine by me. I am just weird, if I make chicken or pork on something, I have to wash it with something more than hot water and a nylon scraper.

Q: Why does dish soap leave a flavor but garlic and fish don't?

A: Soap or detergent works to actually form a bond with fats and oils. On our stoneware, fats and oils are part of the seasoning of the stone, so when you try to rinse the soap away, it has actually bonded to the surface seasoning making it difficult to remove. A soap taste may then exist during your next usage. When you bake food with strong odors and flavors, there is nothing in the food that binds to the stone or seasoning. Garlic, fish, onion, etc., are natural food products and do not adhere to the stone. That's why you can bake fish one night and cookies the next without having a "fishy" cookie taste.

Q: If I'm not using soap to clean my stone, then how can it be clean?

A: Soap does not kill bacteria. Soap (and detergent) when combined with water molecules penetrates the pores of food residue to soften it. This softening of food residue just makes it easier for the residue to be removed. Hot water alone makes oil and other food substances more fluid and therefore easier to dislodge, especially when used in combination with the nylon pan scraper. This rubbing action will effectively remove food residue.

letscook04 said:
Q: Why does dish soap leave a flavor but garlic and fish don't?

A: Soap or detergent works to actually form a bond with fats and oils. On our stoneware, fats and oils are part of the seasoning of the stone, so when you try to rinse the soap away, it has actually bonded to the surface seasoning making it difficult to remove. A soap taste may then exist during your next usage. When you bake food with strong odors and flavors, there is nothing in the food that binds to the stone or seasoning. Garlic, fish, onion, etc., are natural food products and do not adhere to the stone. That's why you can bake fish one night and cookies the next without having a "fishy" cookie taste.

Q: If I'm not using soap to clean my stone, then how can it be clean?

A: Soap does not kill bacteria. Soap (and detergent) when combined with water molecules penetrates the pores of food residue to soften it. This softening of food residue just makes it easier for the residue to be removed. Hot water alone makes oil and other food substances more fluid and therefore easier to dislodge, especially when used in combination with the nylon pan scraper. This rubbing action will effectively remove food residue.

girl, you are silly :) sorry you are sick. I have never had a soap taste on my stones ever. I am just weird about washing my stuff~ ha ha :) I have 18 pieces of stoneware and have washed every single one of them.
Not the postergirl for PC Stoneware. Of course, I never tell people ( except for all of you) that. I know quite a few people that do it. We are called OCD~ ha ha :)

merego said:
girl, you are silly :) sorry you are sick. I have never had a soap taste on my stones ever. I am just weird about washing my stuff~ ha ha :) I have 18 pieces of stoneware and have washed every single one of them.
Not the postergirl for PC Stoneware. Of course, I never tell people ( except for all of you) that. I know quite a few people that do it. We are called OCD~ ha ha :)

I've been coughing my head off! LOL My voice is coming back. :sing:

I have this host that always puts her stoneware in the dishwasher:eek:

I had a customer with a similar problem. Well, getting down to the bottom of it, I discovered that her stone was over 10 years old. :eek: Definitely time for a new one.

Ask your host how old her stone is.

1. How can I get rid of fishy smells from my kitchen and cooking tools?

One way to remove fishy smells is to soak your kitchen tools and surfaces in a mixture of hot water, baking soda, and lemon juice for 30 minutes before washing them with hot soapy water. You can also try using white vinegar or a commercial odor-eliminating spray. For lingering smells in the air, try boiling a pot of water with a few drops of vanilla extract or simmering citrus peels on the stove.

2. What is the best way to clean a sticky pan after cooking fish?

To clean a sticky pan after cooking fish, first let it cool down. Then, use a non-abrasive sponge or brush to scrub the pan with hot soapy water. If the stickiness persists, try soaking the pan in a mixture of hot water and white vinegar for 30 minutes before washing it with hot soapy water. You can also use a paste of baking soda and water to scrub the pan if it is especially stubborn.

3. How can I prevent fishy smells and stickiness from lingering on my hands?

To prevent fishy smells and stickiness from lingering on your hands, try rubbing them with lemon juice or vinegar. You can also use a paste of baking soda and water to scrub your hands before washing them with hot soapy water. Alternatively, you can wear gloves while handling fish to avoid direct contact with the oils and smell.

4. Is there a particular type of pan that is less likely to retain fishy odors and stickiness?

Stainless steel and ceramic pans are less likely to retain fishy odors and stickiness compared to non-stick pans or cast iron. These materials are easier to clean and do not absorb smells as much. However, it is still important to properly clean and maintain all types of pans to prevent any lingering smells or stickiness.

5. Can using certain cooking methods help prevent fishy smells and stickiness?

Yes, using certain cooking methods can help prevent fishy smells and stickiness. Grilling, broiling, and baking are all good options as they allow the fish to cook without being submerged in oils or liquids. Additionally, marinating the fish beforehand in lemon juice or vinegar can help neutralize any strong odors. Avoid cooking methods that involve deep frying or pan-frying, as these can lead to more lingering smells and stickiness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• aPamperedBride
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • sfdavis918
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
ChefShannoninVA
  • sedona