• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Struggling with Business & Life: Seeking Words of Wisdom

In summary, Sarah's business has been going great in the beginning, but has stopped recently. Her toddler has been a problem, she's trying to find new bookings, and she's training for a marathon.
Rosebud
Sorry but I have to rant today has been a bad day and I'm really struggling hoping to find some words of wisdom to keep me going.

So I started my business in Jan. Really got going in Feb. and things were going really well until the end of this month. It's like my running start just halted. I have one more show this month (tomorrow) and one catalog show I can't get a hold of the host. And I have two cooking shows on the books for next month and a bridal registry. Then that's it!

I'm really trying to not get stressed out over all of this but I'm striking out like crazy. Can't find a recruit to save my life. At this point I'm not even wanting to go to National Conference and I'm totally questioning my ability to do this. I don't want to give up but I'm feeling really burned out by all the bad luck I seem to be having.

I have a two year old and she's been a real struggle lately which has made it very hard to try to prospect when I'm out shopping because she's constantly throwing a tantrum and there's no way I want to approach anyone with a screaming toddler in my cart.

Plus to top it all off I got a whim to start training to walk a marathon for this October and it's been really crappy weather outside and I can't afford a treadmill right now. (sorry that was a bit off subject)

Thanks for reading just really needed to get some stuff off my chest.

Rosebud said:
Plus to top it all off I got a whim to start training to walk a marathon for this October and it's been really crappy weather outside and I can't afford a treadmill right now. (sorry that was a bit off subject)

Thanks for reading just really needed to get some stuff off my chest.

I bet not. Not being to work off your frustration through exercise is probably just allowing it to build up, and making you feel even more burnt out.

As for the screaming toddle - you could always say "I'm so glad I own my business, so I can spend time with her - but, right now, I'd love turn her over to daycare!" :D

No, really, I have to say "Welcome to the club." We ALL go through this at one point or another (or several). Talk to your director for ideas on how to get more bookings (my Director wants to set up a HWC mega show - maybe you could do something similar). Listen to CD's or take online courses for encouragement and to rebuild your excitement. If there are any coming up in your area, go to a Directors Express!! Read Sheila's and Becky's and Laurie's stories here on CS for inspiration. Whatever you do, don't give up, because God is going to use you to bless someone's life through PC, and you want to be available when He brings that person into your life.

Thanks Sarah,

I've been to Directors Express and was seriously fired up but it's seem to die down. I'm planning on going to national conference hoping that it will spark my enthusiasm again.

It's good to hear that I"m not the only person whose ever gone through this. I think one my husband gets home I'm gonna go for my 4 mile walk regardless of the rain...I gotta get out and exercise.

Sometimes it helps to know you're not alone. And, you really aren't alone. The good thing is that the more relationships you build the less frequent those times become.

With what you have on the books the future looks bright for you. I usually get 2 bookings from every show I do. So you should be able to get more bookings and keep building it. Look into renting a booth at a local summer fair, this is always a great way to get new business.

I understand the feeling of wanting to quit though! I've been feeling like that for the past 18 months! I keep saying I'm going to quit when I run out of shows, but that hasn't happend yet. I keep getting bookings (LOL). I'm not busy, but I have at least a show every other month.

Kelly~ I'm right here with ya! I had an awesome month in March (started mid-February) and then this month it has went seriously downhill and Ive considered quitting! ha
I had one host cancel her show, three reschedule, and one change their cooking show to a catalog show! (I also have one doing a catalog show...supposedly..who wont answer the phone either!) Ugh!!!
Hang in there....hopefully it will get better for the both of us!

Please don't feel so down and out! I believe everyone has those moments because we allow ourselves to look at the negative's instead of seeing the positives in the situation. Oh don't get me wrong, I too began in Feb., haven't a recruit however have had enough leads for the year LOL but on the plus side they haven't said no-just not now. I joined in an area that I have zero family and one friend that lives 30 miles from me-whom also is new to this area. Given all the obstacles I believe that everything happens for a reason. I have earned my PC dollars to pay for me to go to NC, earned my air fare and hotel from my commission and I know this product. I want to succeed and I will continue to learn whatever I need to in order to get me there. I think the ladies here have given excellent advise and I do find Sheila's story and other's very inspiring. It helps me to know anything is possible. Please don't give up unless that is truly what you want-personally I don't like the "what if's" after something if I am not positive about my decision.

KEEP GOING!! Don't give up, you have had a great start! All of us suffer some down time in our business at one point or another. It does happen.

Sounds like you are feeling frustrated, overwhelmed and discouraged. As everyone else posted, we all have those moments. It helps to vent so you can then name those "bumps in your road" and then focus on an action plan.

If you can't do out and about contacts because your sweet baby has decided it's mommy time, then so be it. :D When my kiddos aren't in best behavior mode, or I'm not in the mood....I simply turn my tote around to cover the logo and go out and about. Funny thing is sometimes, it's those times when people might approach me. If no one does...no big deal. Give yourself the flexibility to just shop and deal with the mini meltdown of hers. There will be tomorrow, and she just may cooperate.

You have a show tomorrow, so that's a perfect time to prospect (as you know)....they're a captive audience, they are curious about a PC show (or they wouldn't be there) and you can do a Full Service checkout. Ask them all to host a show, focus on the fun, the free and that host Susie Q will also benefit. It takes 1 booking to keep going, 2 to keep growing. Relax and enjoy the night away from your sweet 2 year old, and that will translate with your group.

The recruits will come....again, Full Service Checkout. You're "job" is to invite and inform, not sign them. Not sure if that helps, but that thought has always helped me from feeling pressured and upset if no one signs. The more people you ask, the quicker you'll find the curious, and then on to the one who is actually ready to join your team.

The BRIGHT SIDE is you have 3 shows on the books....that's the potential you need to fill your May and June. I don't book beyond 45 days if I can help it...people are bound to change the date anyway. So you're good....go back to your list of 100. Who on that list have you not called? Any guests needing customer care calls?

In regards to your marathon training....can't be much help there....maybe walk around inside the house? Go to a mall and walk?

Hoping this is helpful....I also suggest you take a deep breath and be a little less harder on yourself. Continue your 3 contacts a day...if it has to be voicemail or email, then just double or triple the number 3.

Glad you went to Director's Express....maybe pick one tip you learned and focus on that for a couple of days?

Wishing you lots of leads, more bookings and a recruit or two on your path. :D

On a side note, Sarah....thanks so much for including me on that list. It gave me warm fuzzies and meant a lot to read your kind words!

Regarding the marathon/walking- what about getting one of the Leslie Sansone Walking videos. Those are pretty good- you can at least get moving and starting to build up the endurance. She's a pretty good workout for sure, and you can really get some mileage! She's got some that are 1.0 mile, and then a few that are 2 or 3 or more....just depends on your level. I like to get the multi-videos that have a couple of levels, so I can work up to it and only buy one DVD.As far as the business, I know exactly how you feel. I'm there right now- basically back at square 1, and my April is looking like it will be a big fat $0 (inactive). My neighbor needs some things, so hoping between her order, and maybe an order from one of my family members, I'll scrape enough for active-status. (And yes- did the Trifle bowl thing...nothing). Anyway.....I'm not ready to give up yet. I just need to regroup. My kids and I are almost "done" with our primary period of school and we'll be going into "summer maintenance". So my time can be spread out a bit better I hope.I'd say if you do want to continue and not ready to give in, that National Conference can be very motivating! I know it is/was for me, and I'm looking forward to a shot of adrenalin, so to speak, again this year.Hang in there. Get back to basics, and keep at it. Focus on your shows, and don't let the stress of 'recruiting' weigh you down. Enjoy your shows and your job and don't think about "Will I get a lead tonight?" and you may be surprised by the results (listen to me! HA...I need to talk into a mirror!)

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly. I know I did not heed this or I did not want to hear it but here goes: You will get 1 yes for every 100 people you ask. Whether you ask for a party date or a recruit. And yes, we have all been there! The frustration is what gets you. Not the not having business. It hurts to bang your head on a wall! You have to learn not to. Hang in there!

I don't have any words of advice, but I can empathize with your frustration... what I currently find frustrating is making the time to do a bunch of phone calls, but just ending leaving a lot of messages and never hearing back from those!
But on the bonus side, in my last 'phone blitz', I called one of my door prize slips from a Christmas booth, and although the lady initially said she wasn't interested in a show, she talked about being interested in the roasting pan/rack, so because that's so expensive, I encouraged her to do a catalog show - and she accepted! I was excited...
I like Tammy Stanley's advice to 'get into the shoes of your prospect'- find out what they want and need, and work with them...All the best as you keep trying (with all the rest of us!)

Well everyone I started to feel pumped up went to my show tonight and BOMB not a single person shows up...You know when it rains it pours. *sigh*

Sorry to hear that! I hate that kind of rain too! Do you suspect what happened? Did you get a host that did not listen to your host coaching? You gotta ask her what she did. This way you will know, and I hate to say it this way but, if you did not do something in your host coaching or if she did not listen to your host coaching. You can not fix something if you do not know what is broke. It is almost too bad we do not have little computers like auto repair places have. Simply plug your self or the host in to see what is wrong! It would be so much easier! Still hang in there.

Hey chica! Here's what I would suggest-- take a big breath-hold it--let it go and with it, let go of all this frustration. Okay, now that is gone, look at why you started this business, was it for extra cash? to get out of debt? to get out of the house? Write this down where you will see it and off in the corner write "I can and will achieve this!"
Now let's just have fun! :)
First: Write in your calendar, on every page for the month of May how many shows you want for May- we want this in front of you constantly. I also have written next to mine "I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength!" We want your show goal in front of you constantly.
Next: Print out a new list of 100, start fresh and make sure everyone you know who eats is on there- even Aunt Edith who is 102 years old, your crazy neighbor with mismatched shoes, the waaaay-too rich lady you used to work with and your friends mom who has had a run of bad luck and has NO money. EVERYONE!
The fun-ness: Don't call for yes's. Nope. I want you to call for "no's". I challenge you to get 15 no's by this time next week. I guess I will let you gloat if you get a yes :) but we are searching for "no's". Do you accept the challenge?
Warning: This is harder than you think: 2 gals on my team have been trying very hard to get to their 15 no's for the past week but darn it! people keep saying yes. (very annoying when you are trying to get a no LOL!)

I have been in exactly the same place.... well no not really. I haven't done as well as you, I haven't been in it as long, and I don't have as many shows booked as you do.
I see that you have as a goal that you would like to quit your day job. You need to share that goal with everyone. When you are at shows, tell people "I started my pampered chef business to be able to leave my day job and have more flexibility and availability for my family. If you would host a show it would mean the world to me and my family".
My SED director shared this and it is working for me. I am making calls, calling friends, people I have met at shows who were nice, but previously said no..... everyone. Many of our customers are able to write a check or swipe their debit card to pay for the products they want. They honestly don't have to have the show to earn the $100 or so dollars in free product, but they will do it if they feel connected to you and if you ask.
People like helping others out and doing favors. ASK!!!

1. How do I balance my personal and professional life?

It's important to set boundaries and prioritize your time. Make a schedule and stick to it, including designated time for both work and personal activities. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help and delegate tasks when needed.

2. What can I do to increase my productivity?

Start by identifying your most important tasks and tackle those first. Eliminate distractions and create a comfortable and organized workspace. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can help improve your overall productivity.

3. How do I handle setbacks and failures?

It's important to remember that setbacks and failures are a natural part of life and business. Instead of dwelling on them, focus on what you can learn from the experience and use it to make improvements. Don't be afraid to seek support from friends, family, or a mentor during these challenging times.

4. How do I stay motivated and inspired?

Surround yourself with positive and supportive people, and regularly seek out new ideas and perspectives. Set achievable goals and celebrate your successes, no matter how small. It's also important to take breaks and recharge when needed.

5. How do I manage stress and avoid burnout?

Find healthy ways to cope with stress, such as exercise, meditation, or talking to a trusted friend or therapist. Prioritize self-care and make time for activities that bring you joy. It's also important to set realistic expectations for yourself and learn to say no when needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NooraK
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
MORFIA
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • jcsmilez
  • General Chat
Replies