• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling to Book Parties? Tips to Boost Your Direct Sales Business

In summary, several consultants are struggling to get bookings in July and August. One consultant has only one show in July and is trying to book a Ladies Night Out event. Another consultant has tried calling past guests with no success and feels like their business is sinking. They have also tried various methods such as distributing flyers and sending newsletters to generate bookings. One consultant had two shows cancel last minute and is trying to push for catty shows in August. Another consultant had a good July but nothing booked for August. One consultant is working a booth at a county fair and trying to secure bookings before going. Several consultants have had shows cancel or disappear without rescheduling. One consultant is frustrated with people not returning calls. Another consultant has given away most of their
niccibyrd
I have ONE catalog show for July and that is it. I am doing a Ladies Night Out at a coffee shop on July 30 but other than that I am dead. I cannot seem to get bookings.

Am I the only one struggling with this? I have tried calling past guests, I can't get them on the phone. I feel like my business is sinking.

Help me!

Nope your not alone, I've only had 3 show this month, none booked for next, but several for September.

I understand, I am hoping that this too will pass.

Keeping trying, I am

I'm feeling it too. I just closed out my one and only show for the month. No future bookings at all right now. I just printed off 100 flyers to pass around in the neighborhood and sent an email newsletter with the Aug. specials to everyone in my contacts. I also sent an email to the person in charge of a local Farmer's Market to see if they allow DS Vendors to set up or not. All I can say it just keep trying and stay positive!!

I had 2 shows bale out on me last minute and the live show I did have the other night was a bust barely made 200 and i was there for ever!!! (host didn't tell me had other DS Venders comming too!) I am lucky enought to have another live show on friday and she said her last one was 800!! (not with me) so that would be a record for me if she does!!! and i just got orders in today for a june catalog show which turned out to be $5 under the 300 mark - still working with host for another order!!

as for August - Nada!!! I'm going to push Catty shows for the month because i'll be away from the 15th on - thinking of doing an incentive at my vendor fair on the 27that that if they host a catty show in August i'll give them 10 addittional in FREE Product and and then something else for getting me a booking or what now not sure yet.. aways

sorry so long - yes i'm feeling it too!

I had one cancel this month and so I am closing my only other show this week, luckily I have a June's show that's counted in this month for commission. Summer is usally slower than other months! :(

August is looking better with 4-6 shows!?

Last edited:
I only have one catty show this month. Everyone is on holidays or busy with summer activities around here.

My have 2 booked for August.

I had a good july but NOTHING in august.

I started the month with 3 live shows for July and am ending with one book party ... one wants to re-sched for August, one converted to a book party which also may go as an August booking ... and the third never bothered to return my calls.I feel really bad about that one because she booked off a really large show in March ... we agreed that one host would get the credit for the first party and the co-host would get credit for this one ... I guess I'll have to get on the stick and call the co-host. I am looking forward to a better August ... I'm working a booth at a county fair two days in a row ... and am trying to nail down bookings before I go so I don't give away favorite dates!

My July looked great before July began. I had 6 live shows. 1 turned to a catty, 1 disappeared never to be heard from again, 1 emailed a cancellation (does not want to reschedule). So now I am suppose to have 3 this weekend. Well the Friday night host has not returned my calls/emails in over a week...not looking too good.

I am just so frustrated with people not returning calls. :(

I so know what you mean, mmahmi! I recruited 2 girls in March and since then I've struggled because I gave away most of my shows to them! My director's really helping me now, though, so I'm excited to be making my 3 calls a day - she told me something great - make 3 live calls or 5 voice mails a day. . . . and don't ride yourself if nothing comes through from them. . . I'm going now to re-call my 5 voice mail's from this afternoon. . . . wish me luck! (I currently have ZERO shoes on my August calendar!)

I had a show this last weekend and a catalog show I was supposed to close today. Today is my 30th day. The lady doing the catalog show had told me last week while we were teaching VBS that she had 2 orders but left them at work. I called her today to see how much they were thinking I could find something to add to it and make it a show. It turns out she DIDN'T have orders, just people who said they were interested in ordering. She never called me back about it either. I am bummed since that means I only turned in 3 shows so I am not qualified and I didn't get the extra PC$. Now if this catalog show totally fizzes out, I have nothing left for July and nothing so far in August. It is so hard to get on the phone with a full time job and 2 kids. I am so bummed.

I have one show left for July, a catty show and a cooking show so far for Aug.

I'm hoping the new Booking Blitz helps - I'm going to really promote that in my monthly email (that I'm sending out tonight!) as well as the retiring products, and hopefully drum up at least one more show for Aug - momma's gotta pay the bils!! ;)

Only one show for July. 2 bookings from that, but the actually want to wait a while. Nothing for Aug. so far.....so more calls will have to be made.

it's good to see I, too, am not the only one struggling! I had a recruit in May and worked so hard to help her that I totally let my own business sink...I had the worst June ever for me and so far have only a ladie's night out on Thursday, which I planned myself, to hopefully drum up some sales. The only thing I can say right now to make myself feel somewhat better is that in May my husband and I decided we were going to start trying for a baby in Aug. so this is my "last summer" so I guess if I'm not making my millions, at least I'm having fun!

In July, I usually count on only half the shows I book to hold. So many people are going in so many directions that the hosts will sometime bail. It is hard for them to get in touch with guests that didn't show if the guests went on vacation.

I feel your pain too, I have nothing for august. I have 1 host that might want to book but I called her a couple of days ago and she has the stomach flu. Not sure where to go from here.

my business is actually starting to take off. i signed last year and just "ho humed" it until June. I didnt have anything in june but july i have 1 show that is this saturday and so far i have 4 shows in august and 2 for october. i am really excited!

baychef said:
In July, I usually count on only half the shows I book to hold. So many people are going in so many directions that the hosts will sometime bail. It is hard for them to get in touch with guests that didn't show if the guests went on vacation.

That is my problem! I had over half of my scheduled shows cancel on me for July. I started with about 6-7 shows, and will only have 2 to submit. Ugh! :cry:

I currently have 2 shows scheduled for August, with a few potentials to call. In the spring, many people said, "maybe over the summer" and now I can't get a hold of them! :mad:

Everyone, keep your chins up! The only way this business doesn't work if is you don't. I say that because I have been doing PC on the side for 8+ years now! By this time last year, I had done over 2X the amount of business I've done this year because last year, I was more focused. I work fulltime and have had schedule changes this year that made weeknight shows almost impossible. My worst month this year, I only had sales because of an online order!

Thank God for the business you do have, remember it is your job to call hosts (it is not their job to return your calls!). Try something different if you aren't happy with the way business is right now (approaching people in the grocery store, meeting your neighbors and having them over, going to a non-profit and offering to do a fundraiser with all their volunteers, etc), but KEEP working your business! Your efforts will pay off!

My shows last week were the 1st "live" shows in 6 weeks. I think everyone is in the same boat.

aPamperedBride said:
Thank God for the business you do have, remember it is your job to call hosts (it is not their job to return your calls!). Try something different if you aren't happy with the way business is right now (approaching people in the grocery store, meeting your neighbors and having them over, going to a non-profit and offering to do a fundraiser with all their volunteers, etc), but KEEP working your business! Your efforts will pay off!

I get what you are saying about it being my job to call hosts and I do. But I am frustrated with the hosts that have a show in next, 2 days or 1 day for that matter and you can't get them on the phone or via email to confirm.

For example, my host for Friday has not returned my 2 phone attempts and 1 email over the past week. So while it is my job to call, it is frustrating when you can't even confirm that the show is still on. And just last week, I had a host that was calling me constantly to ask questions and then about a week out would not return my calls. Show date came and went without a word from her. Common courtesy has been lost.

Generally when we get really close and I haven't heard/can't get in touch with a host I leave a message saying I can't wait for our show on Saturday! Since I haven't been able to reach you I am planning on x amount of guests per our last conversation. If that # has changed give me a call, otherwise I will see you Sat at x.

I get a call back everytime. The closest was the night before, which had me worried and our comrades suggested I show up when I said I would, if I hadn't heard from her, but thankfully she called. I had planned on going when I said I would be there. I wasn't happy about it, but I needed to convey that I take my business seriuosly.

Ang,

thanks for your suggestion. I will try that with Friday's show. But with my show last weekend..I don't think it would have helped. Her phone number was disconnected...so no message to leave. And the drive to her home was 1 hour away. I was not going to do that with gas prices the way they are without having spoken to her.

So thanks for the idea..:)

mmajmi said:
Ang,

thanks for your suggestion. I will try that with Friday's show. But with my show last weekend..I don't think it would have helped. Her phone number was disconnected...so no message to leave. And the drive to her home was 1 hour away. I was not going to do that with gas prices the way they are without having spoken to her.

So thanks for the idea..:)
You wouldn't find me going either.. :)

It's hard here to. I just had a baby and became inactive so right now I'm trying to reactivate, but it's so hard. Unfortunately most of my family and friends are not financially able to buy anything and while I was on maternity leave, 2 girls had shows (with other people none the less. Family on both sides, but GEEZ) so nobody at work wants anything else right now. AHHHH!!! I have someon who I've been trying to book a party with since Jan, but she's working full time with 2 kids and going to school for her masters, so she never wants to plan. So, somehow I need to get out there and get outside customers cause I really love doing this and I really want it to work.

The excuses I keep hearing is that people having to cut back because of the economy. So it has been slow here. I struggled last month to get my $200 in. I even had a mystery host catalog show and only 3 people placed an order. I do understand that summer is so slo-o-o-w-w-w-w-w-w but I need to do something. My one show for July was postponed until August. I just hope it happens.

Shannon

There will be months every once in awhile where you just have to say "Okay it's not a good month, that's okay I'll focus on next month"

I've had to do this. When this happens I put all my energy in the following months.
May I had $100 in sales June I had $2200. Don't beat yourself down. Post at local grocery stores. Talk PC to everyone.

My June & July are aweful. August is looking up.
I have to say, wear your logo wear everyday! It really helps to get conversations started and business going again.

lockhartkitchen said:
There will be months every once in awhile where you just have to say "Okay it's not a good month, that's okay I'll focus on next month"

I've had to do this. When this happens I put all my energy in the following months.
May I had $100 in sales June I had $2200. Don't beat yourself down. Post at local grocery stores. Talk PC to everyone.

This is so true!
Sometimes you just need to focus on the next...it will pick up! Don't worry! We all go through slow times!

ChefShannoninVA said:
The excuses I keep hearing is that people having to cut back because of the economy. So it has been slow here. I struggled last month to get my $200 in. I even had a mystery host catalog show and only 3 people placed an order. I do understand that summer is so slo-o-o-w-w-w-w-w-w but I need to do something. My one show for July was postponed until August. I just hope it happens.

Shannon

This is where the value of our products can shine through. No offense to any other DS company, but jewerly, sheets, and home decorations do nothing to help add to or protect the stretched budget. The value we add is to helping the family stretch their dollar by showing people how to make recipes for $2 per serving and how to save time (for that 3 job eek!)

Brainstorm how our products can help SAVE people money...simple one comes to mind is shredding cheese instead of buying it in the bag. Kids can help prepare the meal by using the cheese grater or chopping things in the food chopper.

Doris Christopher opened conference with relating of hard economic times when she started The Pampered Chef in 1980. I distinctly remember 1980 -just starting out with my first REAL career job and feeling the same way I do now about the economy. This is not a political reference, but Ronald Regan was in office and we were in a recession (no one was afraid to say it either). And she started out with a crate and few products. Look at where she is today!!

My business is not where I would want it to be right now either, but I do know that I am working on it. It will pay off. There is a reason conference, leadership and product introductions are make in the months they are in. Usually business is slower in January and July.

Remind customers that for the host to earn more 60% off items, they have until January 31, 2009 to host a party! That gets them thinking beyond the summer vacation mode.

hey everybody! i know i'm still like supernew and all but don't get too down about it! i started in june had nothing in my first 30 days. i was really bummed, but this month even with 1 cancelation i'm about to submit my 3rd show and might end up with a 4th. 3 out of those 4 shows will be strictly from pampering buisnesses. i wasn't sure what to expect but ended up on a really positive note. i know it's not like i'm making millions but hey at least i'm building som momentum right? now if i could just book some catalog shows for august i would be set! sorry i was so long winded!

I hadn't had a show since April and thought I would have to go inactive this month. A friends sister that I talked to came through and decided to book, so that got me to my $200 I needed. I've gotten better at sending out news letters (still no real response from them, but at least hopefully I'm in people's heads!). And I finally broke down and bought some logo gear. Should be here at the end of the week. Figure I'll start wearing it everywhere. Biz isn't great, but I'm optimistic, especially with the new products and the holidays coming up.

pampermejolene said:
I hadn't had a show since April and thought I would have to go inactive this month. A friends sister that I talked to came through and decided to book, so that got me to my $200 I needed.

I've gotten better at sending out news letters (still no real response from them, but at least hopefully I'm in people's heads!).

And I finally broke down and bought some logo gear. Should be here at the end of the week. Figure I'll start wearing it everywhere.

Biz isn't great, but I'm optimistic, especially with the new products and the holidays coming up.

Longevity and Persistence! Keep sending those newsletters - stay in front of peoples eyes...and eventually, it will pay off. I have had 3 referrals in the past month from past hosts and customers who I haven't personally talked to in a while....but they consider me their PC lady...now, not only do I have the new business from them - but it gives me a perfect reason to call them and thank them for the referral. (I give gifts for referrals!:D)

After doing PC for 4 years my summers were always slow. My biz picks up during the fall. Hang in there!:)

I am having everybody say, I'm interested, but I will call you..don't call me
Or call me back in the fall.

UPDATE:

Yesterday a past guest Imed me about her chopper. We ended up talking and now her and her daughter are having a show in August!!! Yay!!!

1. How can I get more bookings for my direct sales business?

One tip for boosting bookings is to offer incentives to your current customers for hosting a party. This could be a discount on their purchase or a free product. You can also ask your customers to refer their friends and family to host parties for you.

2. What is a good way to reach out to past customers for bookings?

Try reaching out through social media or sending personalized emails or texts. You can also try calling, but if you can't get them on the phone, consider leaving a voicemail with a special offer or incentive for booking a party with you.

3. Are there any creative ideas for hosting parties outside of the home?

Consider partnering with a local coffee shop, bookstore, or community center to host a party. This can attract a new audience and provide a unique setting for your products. You can also offer virtual parties through video conferencing platforms.

4. How can I prevent my business from sinking if I am struggling to book parties?

First, don't panic. Remember that every business has its ups and downs. Focus on building and maintaining relationships with your current customers. Offer exceptional customer service and follow up with them regularly. You can also consider expanding your reach by joining online marketplaces or participating in local events or fairs.

5. What are some other effective ways to increase bookings for my direct sales business?

Utilize social media to showcase your products and share customer testimonials. Offer themed parties, such as a holiday or seasonal party, to attract new customers. You can also collaborate with other direct sales consultants to co-host parties and cross-promote each other's businesses.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
babywings76
  • Hunter Mom
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • wcsis
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies