• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stop Me From Overwhelming My Hosts!

In summary, people are sending recipe lists to their hosts that may seem just a bit overwhelming. Some people are suggesting sticking to three themes with the recipes to go with them. A popular recipe for hosts to pitch is the Tomato Basil Squares. Another idea is to offer one of each kind of recipe, which is easier for both the host and the cook.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
With all the talk of theme shows and power cooking ... I am finding myself sending recipe lists to my hosts that may seem just a bit overwhelming!

Can someone please suggest to me some fun, easy, popular recipes to pitch to hosts?

I was thinking of keeping it simple .. three themes with the recipes to go with them .... maybe an appetizer, main dish and desert.

I'd prefer not to use the oven, and my June is a bit bogged down with microwave cakes and chickens ...

Maybe Patriotic, Tropical/Jimmy Buffet and Salads?

What recipes are you sending them?

Last time I sent my host a whole bunch of recipe ideas ... power cooking, a microwave cake, triffle, and I think jerk chicken nachos was in there too.

It made her brain hurt!

I do not want to do that to my July hosts .... I want to Keep it Simple, Smitty!

IF I give them a choice, I only give them two things to choose from. I had started in the last few months of my pregnancy only giving them one choice and if they did not like it then I would give them the 2nd option. It made things so easy for me, I always packed the same thing.

I love doing the Tomato Basil Squares. They are good for summer too, especially, if home grown tomato are available! They are so easy and good!

I just had a show on Sunday and we made Caesar Pasta Salad. I don't even like pasta salad, and I really thought it was good. :) And there wasn't a huge number of ingredients in it. I've also taken to asking my hosts flat-out what kind of recipe they'd like to do...appetizer, salad, entree, or dessert. Once they give me a ballpark idea of the kind of food they're interested in, I start shooting ideas to them and gauge their interest that way. I just sent the ingredient list for three or four pizza recipes for an upcoming host today, and I imagine she'll pick the one that looks the most simple grocery-wise...but at least it's her choice! :)

I give 2 choices only. Don't overwhelm your host or yourself. If you say: "here are the recipes I am currently doing" then the host will pick the one they like the best.

I used to give 2 recipes of each 'kind' (appetizer/entree/dessert) and I think that was even overwhelming. I'm going to give them one of each. If they tell me none of them will do, due to dietary restrictions or something and they can't be altered, I'll offer them up more choices.

I just use the same 5 recipes all season. It helps me and helps my hosts a lot.

When I am talking with my host I say "I have been doing _________ at my shows this month and people are loving it. How does that sound to you?" Most choose it. For those that aren't interested, I ask if they prefer an appetizer or dessert (I don't call anything a main dish - I don't want her to get the idea that I am going to be feeding her friends a meal - it's a tasting). I might also ask if she is interested in a recipe with any particular ingredient or has a theme that she'd think would be fun (chocolate, fruit, veggies, Mexican...). I then offer two choices. Usually she decides from that.

I used to offer a ton of recipes and it was always hard for the host to decide. Even now if I haven't settled on a recipe for the month and give the host 4-5 choices she always says "Ohhh that's too many choices!" Another thing about giving a lot of choices is that they often want more than one and it makes it harder to get them down to just one quick recipe.

If you want to offer a theme I suggest looking through the theme binder that PC has given us and pick 1-2 themes to offer. Then when they have chosen the theme, offer 1-2 recipes that go with it. Keep it simple. Offering the ideas in steps gives you an opportunity to talk more often and build that all important relationship with your hosts.

i send an e-mail offering 3 recipes (appetizer, maindish, dessert) plus power cooking. they choose one and only one.

for june/july, i am offering greek cheese torta, chicken/avacado/grapefruit salad, and the RWB new trifle. i have made everything but the trifle before and they are easy and FUN at the show.

I would consider the upcoming specials and the weather. Based on that - I would pick 3 recipes (tops) and let her pick from them. If you still want to offer a Theme Show - make it from the recipe. If you want to offer a Trifle, then pick that as just one of your options.

I used to overwhelm the Hosts too - I had to really start to simplify things because it was just too stressful for everyone!

Di_Can_Cook said:
With all the talk of theme shows and power cooking ... I am finding myself sending recipe lists to my hosts that may seem just a bit overwhelming!

Can someone please suggest to me some fun, easy, popular recipes to pitch to hosts?

I was thinking of keeping it simple .. three themes with the recipes to go with them .... maybe an appetizer, main dish and desert.

I'd prefer not to use the oven, and my June is a bit bogged down with microwave cakes and chickens ...

I suppose I'm not like the norm. When I hosted a show in October, before I was a consultant, I kept getting annoyed when my consultant would only give me two choices. I finally asked her for a list of everything she does so that I could choose. I like choices! I just can't imagine being overwhelmed by picking a recipe - to me it's the easiest thing to do for a party...but that's just for me. I'm not judging others. I was more overwhelmed when I was told to invite 40 people!

This very minute I am working on my NEW revised recipe list!

I just started last September and my Recipe list is quite HUGE. (I liked having choices when I used to host - so I couldn't imagine not providing choices).

But now that I am doing this, I see the advantages to paring my list down.

I have decided that I HATE recipes that I have to prep at home before a show (truffle brownie cups, brownie/cookie pizzas, etc). I had started dreading shows that I had to bake before a show.

I think I will offer these choices:
-Power Cooking & Pina Colada Upside Down Cake
-Lasagna Skillet & Garlic Bites
-Cool Summer Cooking (choice of Cheeseburger Salad or Beef Enchilada Casserole) along with a "cool dessert".
-Brunch Option: Ham & Cheese Brunch Squares or Quiche Lorraine Tartlets & Mini Cinnamon Rolls

And maybe a list of some old favs.

But I need some suggestions for Cool Desserts for the Cool Summer Cooking - no oven - no prep at home.
I was thinking of the Cool & Creamy Choc Fondue (from all the best??). But I need more suggestions. I would like to do the new trifle, but was wondering if the recipe seemed expensive for hosts due to all the berries??
Any ideas?

Thanks!

Personally, if I was going to offer the new triffle, I would offer a choice of EITHER the dish or appetizer OR the triffle, not BOTH. But I don't like to do 2 recipes at a show unless I can do prep work at home!Microwave cakes are good for the summer ... I'd just dump any frosting in the bottom, and any cake on the top, and there's your glaze!My director is on a theme show kick ... she really gets into it and dresses the part and provides music ... she thinks if you offer them something new and different they won't cancel.I think I am going to offer my July hosts the Red White and Blue Triffle, the cheeseburger salad OR a microwave cake. Unless somebody at my Power Cooking Clinic wants a Power Cooking SHOW ....

I ask the host if they would prefer an appetizer, main dish or dessert. From their these are my monthly selections:
Moroccan Chicken Pita Wedges or Greek Cheese Torta

Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad
Red White and Blueberry Trifle or Berries & Stars

If the host was going to have a beverage I suggest adding Cran-Raspberry Fizz

All the recipes and ingredients stay on my website for the month. Hosts can read online to choose the one they want. I send guests to my website to get the recipe we had, so they will check out other things on my site as well.

Di_Can_Cook said:

You are too funny! I did that one month and learned my lesson when one of my hosts decided to turn the show into a dinner party for about 30 people... we made soo much food and I was there from 2:00 pm until midnight- LONG show- but I was able to get her to sign under me...

Related to Stop Me From Overwhelming My Hosts!

What are some ways to avoid overwhelming my hosts?

1. Communicate with your host beforehand: Before the party, make sure to have a conversation with your host about their preferences. Ask them if they have any specific requests or limitations when it comes to the party.

2. Keep the menu simple: Stick to a few key recipes and avoid complicated dishes. This will make it easier for your host to prepare and for guests to follow along.

3. Delegate tasks: Don't be afraid to ask your host for help. You can have them prepare some of the ingredients or set up the party space while you focus on the cooking demonstration.

4. Plan ahead: Make a timeline for the party and stick to it. This will help you stay organized and avoid any last-minute stress that could overwhelm your host.

5. Have fun and be flexible: Remember that the party is supposed to be enjoyable for everyone, including your host. Be flexible and open to changes if needed, and most importantly, have fun!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sunnygirl in nd
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sells-a-lott
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
shelly.nurse
  • britterg