• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Kids (& Adults) College Cooking Classes

In summary, Leslie has been given the opportunity to teach cooking classes through the local community ed program. She has completed cover letters and proposed class outlines, but would like to include seasonal themes. The program director was particularly interested in the Power Cooking Clinic and the kids cooking class, and Leslie is planning to market the Power Cooking Clinic elsewhere in the community. She has come up with ideas for adult and kids classes, but is worried about how to set it up.
newmexgirl
OK, all you creative fellow cheffers! I've been given the opportunity to teach adult and kid cooking classes through the local community ed program.

All I need to do is come up with an official "proposal" to present to the board.

I've got my cover letters completed as well as proposed class outlines. However, since I would like to do one adult class and one kids class per month, I would also like to include a list of seasonal themes.

The program director was especially interested in the Power Cooking Clinic and the kids cooking class. However, since I plan to market the Power Cooking Clinic elsewhere in the community, I'm calling the adult ed class "Investment Cooking". She would also like to see a vegetarian class as that has apparently been very popular in the past.

What I've got so far is:

August:
KKC: Let's Do Lunch! (A back-to-school make-my-own-lunch theme)
ACC: Simply Sensational Salads
September:
KKC: Something with apples?
ACC: Investment Cooking
October:
KKC: Creepy Crawly Critters
ACC: Something fall-related?
November:
KKC: No ideas here
ACC: Easy Entertaining
December:
KCC: Handmade for the Holidays (Creating handmade gifts for parents and teachers)
ACC: Handmade for the Holidays (Creating handmade gifts (like the batter bowl mixes) for friends and family)

The classes will not be marketed as Pampered Chef Cooking Shows. However, I will be allowed to use Pampered Chef products, wear Pampered Chef logowear, and distribute recipes and other marketing materials (such as catalogs and flyers) with The Pampered Chef logo. I figure it will be a great way to get people recognizing my name and my face. (I'm new to both the community and The Pampered Chef.)

Does anyone have any ideas they care to share?

I will, of course, report on my progress and post my files if all works out.

Wish me well. For some reason, I'm really nervous. I think because it all seems so "official":)

Leslie

newmexgirl said:
OK, all you creative fellow cheffers! I've been given the opportunity to teach adult and kid cooking classes through the local community ed program.

All I need to do is come up with an official "proposal" to present to the board.

I've got my cover letters completed as well as proposed class outlines. However, since I would like to do one adult class and one kids class per month, I would also like to include a list of seasonal themes.

The program director was especially interested in the Power Cooking Clinic and the kids cooking class. However, since I plan to market the Power Cooking Clinic elsewhere in the community, I'm calling the adult ed class "Investment Cooking". She would also like to see a vegetarian class as that has apparently been very popular in the past.

What I've got so far is:

August:
KKC: Let's Do Lunch! (A back-to-school make-my-own-lunch theme)
ACC: Simply Sensational Salads
September:
KKC: Something with apples?
ACC: Investment Cooking
October:
KKC: Creepy Crawly Critters
ACC: Something fall-related?
November:
KKC: No ideas here
ACC: Easy Entertaining
December:
KCC: Handmade for the Holidays (Creating handmade gifts for parents and teachers)
ACC: Handmade for the Holidays (Creating handmade gifts (like the batter bowl mixes) for friends and family)

The classes will not be marketed as Pampered Chef Cooking Shows. However, I will be allowed to use Pampered Chef products, wear Pampered Chef logowear, and distribute recipes and other marketing materials (such as catalogs and flyers) with The Pampered Chef logo. I figure it will be a great way to get people recognizing my name and my face. (I'm new to both the community and The Pampered Chef.)

Does anyone have any ideas they care to share?

I will, of course, report on my progress and post my files if all works out.

Wish me well. For some reason, I'm really nervous. I think because it all seems so "official":)

Leslie

This sounds awesome. How were you able to possibly set this up? Did you contact the school directly. I remember many years ago I signed up for a scrapbooking class and didn't know it was for Creative Memories, however I did end up buying alot of stuff through it and booked a show. This is a great way to get out there and take this business to another level. I'm just looking for future ideas as I'm just starting to get my feet wet in this business.

ideasLeslie, this is so exciting! I'd like to hear the answers to Carol's questions, too. There is a Community College not far from where I live. I could contact them, if I knew what to say in advance. How far in advance did you have to set this up?

As for the September KKC, how about baked apples? The kids could use the APCS or The Corer (they'd love that!!), and the Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend and Sweet Caramel (or Sweet Cinnamon) Sprinkles.

For November, I'd suggest a dip or other appetizer they can then make for Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe the Elegant Artichoke Cups in the Mini Muffin Pan?

Can't wait to hear how this works out for you!

Sarah

Are you being paid to do this being it is through the community ed program???

Wow! What a great opportunity for you! I'm also curious as to how you were able to "hook up" with the college.

As for November ideas for the kids, I'm thinking something with pumpkins. You could roast the seeds on a stone and use the innards to make individual pies or tarts, or possibly treats in the prep bowls... Or you could use pecans...Tarts - use the food chopper for the nuts and the mini-muffin pan for baking. Of course, roll out the dough on the pastry mat with the baker's roller after mixing it in the batter bowl with the pastry blender...you get the idea. :)

Pumpkins..... Pumpkin tartlets.... can opener, mini muffin pan, tart shaper, easy accent decorator just to name a few items you use....

Bumping up.................

For anyone interested, here's the scoop so far:Yes, the classes will be held through a community college as adult ed. And yes, something like this must be planned quite far in advance and does require some hoop jumping as, depending on the college, there may be several levels of approval. For instance, my local college is already working on both the Fall 2008 and Spring 2009 sessions.I simply approached the director of the community education program and asked how I go about teaching classes. I pitched some proposals, completed some paperwork (including submitting a resume of past teaching experience which basically included Sunday School and employee training during my prior life experience as a payroll accountant:)), and waited for approval.Last spring was my first teaching session and, no, it wasn't Pampered Chef related as I wasn't a consultant then. (I taught classes on blogging, internet security, and photo decor.)We haven't negotiated any final terms yet as these classes are still in the initial planning stages. In fact, even as I type I'm finalizing my "presentation packets" which I will be glad to post later. Since this is the first community college I've ever worked with and I live in a fairly small town, I'm not sure if there is a "generic protocol" when dealing with such institutions. However, I encourage everyone to take a leap and just do it!Find the right person to talk with, prepare a professional looking presentation packet, and just pitch the idea. The worst they can do is turn you down, right? And, even if that happens you can just "recycle" the material for use elsewhere such as pitching to daycares as fundraisers, MOPS and/or homeschool groups, and parks and recreation departments.I'll post later to let you all know how it goes. I appreciate your good thoughts and prayers and will share the files once I've gotten them completed.Leslie

For November kids class, have you thought about individual turkey pot pies (in the prep bowls)...good solution for left over turkey and it's something that they can do themselves.
What ages are the children?

What age range are the Kids (& Adults) College Cooking Classes suitable for?

The Kids (& Adults) College Cooking Classes are suitable for children and adults ages 8 and up. This allows for a fun and educational experience for a wide age range.

What types of recipes are taught in the Kids (& Adults) College Cooking Classes?

In the Kids (& Adults) College Cooking Classes, we teach a variety of recipes including simple snacks, main dishes, and desserts. We also focus on teaching basic cooking techniques and kitchen safety.

Do participants need to bring any cooking equipment or ingredients?

All necessary cooking equipment and ingredients are provided for the Kids (& Adults) College Cooking Classes. However, if there are any special dietary restrictions or allergies, we ask that participants inform us beforehand.

Are the Kids (& Adults) College Cooking Classes hands-on?

Yes, the Kids (& Adults) College Cooking Classes are hands-on. Participants will have the opportunity to actively participate in preparing and cooking the recipes, under the guidance of our trained instructors.

What is the duration of the Kids (& Adults) College Cooking Classes?

The duration of the Kids (& Adults) College Cooking Classes is typically 1-2 hours, depending on the specific class. This allows enough time for instruction, cooking, and enjoying the delicious creations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• newmexgirl
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
newmexgirl
  • RossDeb2
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
speedychef
  • DebbieSAChef