• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Starting Conversations With Strangers!

well, cheerleading was the way to do it. So I joined and started making friends and was finally able to start talking to people. I think that's a great way to approach it, and it sounds like you've had a lot of success with it! After attending NC last week, I have embraced the 3 of the 3-2-1 thing. Wore my PC shirt out both yesterday and today and carried my bag. Gave out a mini catalog to one lady, got another lady's contact info and talked about my silver whisk to another today. I am a closet introvert but pretend to be an extrovert. Had never liked wearing name apparrel but have decided that I WANT
PChefPEI
Silver Member
...hummmm, title doesn't sound very good, but I'm sure I got your attention!! :blushing: ;)

If you were in a waiting room somewhere, would you strike up a conversation with someone and try to bring up PC? Even when having a casual conversation with a stranger somewhere, I just can't seem to make that move! I am shy and I know that the excitement for my business should be enough to help me do that, but I don't always find that it is. I know that I need to step out of my comfort zone, but am having trouble with it.

Can you guys give me a kick in the butt and get me out there so I can build my business??? :p

Ok, well I am chatty Cathy so I talk to anyone in public, my problem is the phone. I can talk PC to anyone all day long face to face. I am all up in people's business~ ha ha so I just start chatting and ait just kind of flows out, I am not exactly sure how, because I pretty much never shut up~ ha ha. Let me think about this one.

Yep, I do it all the time! I strike up convo's with people in the bathroom at work, in line at the grocery store, at a take-out joint, Dr's office - wherever! My DH (who is in sales) always says to compliment the person first (find anything - their shoes, their earrings, their purse - whatever!) and then when you're talking, find out what they do (work/stay home, etc.). That naturally leads them to ask you what YOU do, and then you can tell them all about PC!! :) Be sure to have your "commercial" ready!

Meredith - I think I "invented" chatty-cathy (since it's my name and all!) ;) - it used to be my email address before I started PC, too! :D

After attending NC last week, I have embraced the 3 of the 3-2-1 thing. Wore my PC shirt out both yesterday and today and carried my bag. Gave out a mini catalog to one lady, got another lady's contact info and talked about my silver whisk to another today.

I am a closet introvert but pretend to be an extrovert. Had never liked wearing name apparrel but have decided that I WANT to be a director by Dec 1, so I must push out of my comfort zone. Nothing comes easy and I think it comes down to how bad you want it. I want it REAL BAD, so off I go.

So far, my results for 2 days are 1 customer name/address email, and two shows.

We just have to do it. Considered yourself kicked!

Good job, Carol! I have to remember to wear my whisk charm to work more, esp. since I can't wear logo merch. at work. I have a 2nd one and have been thinking of making them into earrings - hmmm....! ;)

cathyskitchen said:
Meredith - I think I "invented" chatty-cathy (since it's my name and all!) ;) - it used to be my email address before I started PC, too! :D

Maybe I can be mouthy-meredith :) I agree with complimenting them too.

Wow Carol, that's awesome!! You are absolutely right in everything you say, and it's all stuff I know, I just have to JUST DO IT! Thanks for the kick! :)

And Meredith and Cathy, can you send some of your chattiness over to me, pretty please??? :p

Jabbering Jill? Actually, my sister used to call me Jillybean. Yuck.

Anyway, great thread! I can talk to anyone anywhere, but I have a hard time bringing up PC. Today I talked to the cashier at the grocery store, though. Pretty good for me. Nobody in line behind me, so I wasn't self concious.

I really like and appreciate what Cathy said about complimenting someone and then asking about their job or whatever. Thanks for that little lesson. I'm going to try that. I'll report back here or in the 3-2-1 thread.

So, JAE, what did you say to the cashier??

Oh, Marie-France, my family would be SO happy if I could send my chattiness over to you!! They'd box it up and put a bow on top!! ;)

Believe it or not, I was shy as a child. I am also a nervous wreck when I do presentations in front of people. But, I'm also a perfectionist and I never quit until I get something right, so I just persisted in talking to people and set my mind to it. I remember my "turning point" was in HS - it was either be a "band geek" or join cheerleading. I liked both, but wanted to get out of my shell more and be more outgoing, so I dropped the flute and basoon and started cheerleading. I sometimes regret not playing my instruments anymore, but I LOVED cheerleading and became very good at it. It taught me how to be outgoing and break out of my shell, too, which was priceless. When I was in college, I actually sold cars one summer, I was that confident!

I think it all comes down to just practicing something over and over until you do well at it, and giving yourself a break along the way. THe first time you rode a bike, you probably fell a few times, but now you can't imagine NOT being able to ride a bike, right? It's kinda like that. Hang in there and eventually, you'll be GREAT!! :D

The shyer you are, the more important it is to become a walking billboard. That way you won't have to strike up conversations. People will approach you.Other than that, I'm probably not going to be much help. I've been talking to strangers about all kinds of things for years and years. (I can see by your stunned expression that you're shocked. LOL!) It's been a source of consternation to my mom for the last 45 years. However, it makes talking with people about PC pretty easy.

Thanks you guys! You have inspired me. Will see how I do tomorrow when I'm out and about! :)

PChefPEI said:
So, JAE, what did you say to the cashier??
I was wearing my new PC shirt that I bought at conference. (Almost love it.) I just said, "Have you ever heard of the Pampered Chef?", and she said that she had because her mom used to sell it. So I said, "have you ever thought about selling it?" She said that now wasn't a good time because she just got back from Poland where she went on a mission's trip. Not sure why that makes now a bad time, but her name was Jessica. I'll get in her line again, even if it's really long. I gave her a mini catalog from this season, not the new season. I told her to check it out and share it with her mom because her mom may want to know what's new.

I always steer it that way no matter where I am. That doesn't mean I have to bring it up to everyone I meet but usually it just comes up because it's part of who I am. I love to cook and bake! So naturally being a Pc consultant comes up.

For instance I am at the waiting room at the vet's office and we'll talk about our pets (as my dog is jumping around all over the place), and I'll mention that I make her homemade treats that I got from a PC consultant. I then mention that I am a PC consultant and the converstaion goes from there.

If I am at the doctor's office with my kids I always try to bring current catalogs to leave in the waiting room (the staff knows me) and as I am placing them in the magazine rack I mention to whoever is nearby that they are for browsing or for the taking if they would like to order products. And the conversation goes from there. Either they are not interested and I can sense that right away or they are.

Another example would be at the grocery store, I usually ask people in front of me, who seem to like to strike up conversations, what they are having for dinner? "What's for dinner?" And that gets the ball rolling.

Debbie :chef:

I will talk to moms at the park and ask do you work part time, full time? I will compliment someone on there purse or an outfit, especially shoes!! If they have cute kids, compliment how cute their kids are. I don't really have a plan of when I am going to do it, it just kind of happen. I open my big yap and out it comes.

You need the chattiness from my 4 year old girl...and her girlfriend..OMG...barbies and princess' oh my...I need to get out and talk to people as well. I am quite until I know a person really. I have to stop that....I need a good swift kick as well....Cheers

PamperChefCarol said:
After attending NC last week, I have embraced the 3 of the 3-2-1 thing. Wore my PC shirt out both yesterday and today and carried my bag. Gave out a mini catalog to one lady, got another lady's contact info and talked about my silver whisk to another today.

I am a closet introvert but pretend to be an extrovert. Had never liked wearing name apparrel but have decided that I WANT to be a director by Dec 1, so I must push out of my comfort zone. Nothing comes easy and I think it comes down to how bad you want it. I want it REAL BAD, so off I go.

So far, my results for 2 days are 1 customer name/address email, and two shows.

We just have to do it. Considered yourself kicked!

Wow, you just described me to a tee. I have had no luck finding a full time job in the new place we just moved to, and hubby says I have PC - make that my full time job until I can find something - or unless this takes off. I'm so shy, but I've got to start doing something else we're going to be in the poorer house. :( Thanks for this post! I needed this. It's 9am and I need to go work my business for the day.

1. How can I overcome my fear of starting conversations with strangers?

One way to overcome this fear is to remind yourself that most people are friendly and open to conversation. Start by making eye contact and offering a smile before initiating a conversation. Also, have a few conversation starters in mind to help ease any awkwardness.

2. What are some good conversation starters for talking to strangers?

Some good conversation starters include asking about their day, commenting on something you have in common (such as waiting in line for the same event), or simply asking for their opinion on something. Remember to be genuine and listen attentively to their response.

3. How can I make a lasting impression when talking to strangers?

One way to make a lasting impression is to actively listen and show genuine interest in what the other person is saying. Ask follow-up questions and share your own thoughts and experiences. Also, be yourself and let your personality shine through in the conversation.

4. Is it okay to approach strangers in public places?

Approaching strangers in public places is generally okay, as long as you are respectful and mindful of their personal space. It may be best to avoid approaching people who are visibly busy or seem uninterested in conversation. Always trust your instincts and be aware of your surroundings.

5. How can I turn a brief conversation with a stranger into a meaningful connection?

To turn a brief conversation into a meaningful connection, try to find common ground and continue the conversation beyond just small talk. Ask for their contact information or social media handles to stay in touch, or suggest meeting up again in the future. Remember to be kind and genuine in your interactions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kristine2011
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Barry Carlton
  • lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
lisasfuncooking
  • cla519