• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Has anyone faced opposition from their spouse when starting with Pampered Chef?

I really enjoy it and it's something I really want to do. I'm not sure if he's just afraid I won't make any money or if he really doesn't feel that PC is a 'real' business venture. I tell him that PC really 'sells itself'. I know that is a cliche' but I really feel that's true. I also tell him that I have a lot of experience with the product and that I know how to sell it. I also let him know that I've been an excellent employee in the past and that I know how to work hard. I don't want to go against his wishes, but I'm really stuck. Has anyone else gone through this with
shano said:
I have to admit I never even asked my DH about joining PC. I am one of the lucky ones concerning that. But I do have to admit if I'm not using my product he is. I started this 7 months ago, and he didnt say it then but he thought I wouldnt do too well. My highest show has only been $539 but he see how much I enjoy doing the shows. He has turned around big time and even asked if he coould sighn up under me. Alas, no he cant!! lol

You can sign up your sister, cousin, or friend who can then turn around and sign up your hubby. If your sister quits, you'll be assigned your hubby! However, working together under your name only will be much easier to earn incentives and trips!

Taxed for Capital Gains
Miguel said:
I'm thinking of becoming a PC consultant (in addition to my full time office job) but I'm in the same boat as many of these ladies. My husband is wary of the whole thing and thinks we will get audited. He also heard from someone that if we ever sell our house in the future, we'll get taxed for capital gains? I'm not a tax wiz so I'm lost about that. However, I'm taking my time and doing research.

Miguel - I think that only applies if you claim a deduction for a percentage of your house as a home office. If you do not take the home office deduction capital gains would apply. Or at least that is what I have been told.

Last edited:
Carrie Ann - So what happen? Did you join?

While my ex would say that he always supported me, the only thing he actually did was to say, "Have a good show" as I left. He'd be in the garage and watch me, 9 months pregnant, heaving my giant showcase into the back of the car. Lazy! He also always told everyone that PC costs HIM money. Well, he hasn't contributed a dime to our family (three kids) in 1 1/2 years, so I guess PC didn't really cost him money, it must really make money.

The best idea I've heard to get them on board is to earn a trip to take them on. After the first trip, they'll be asking why you DON"T have a show every night! Also, be sure to celebrate small successes with them. If you get on the phone, be sure to let him know by shouting, "Got another booking!!" everytime you get a booking!

Harrle said:
I have to say I don't think my hubby has ever been excited about my business. But I can also say I have never treated it as a business until this year - it was more a 'hobby.'

I agree with Paige....once you take your husbands or partners on ANY of the incentive trips, they will most likely change their tune! I am one of the lucky ones and has a husband who is very supportive (he also gave me the final push to try this business b/c he said there's nothing to lose in giving it a try. I just hit $100,000 in sales in 3 years 3 months in the business!). He is now pushing me out the door to do shows because he was VERY impressed with how PC pampers us on those trips!!! I'm on track for Atlantis and he's hoping we get that!

Not only do they get to see what a HUGE accomplishment earning a trip is, but they see how well rewarded we are for our hard work. Sometimes that's what it takes for some husbands to see that this IS a serious business. Good luck to all of you and keep on plugging along!!!:D

I don't have time to read everyone's post, but I do have one comment. You're correct Pampered Chef does sell itself at shows - mostly because a lot of people there will recommend items to their friends and family. What you have to be able to sell is having a show and host coaching to get people in the room. I made the mistake at first of not knowing how to get bookings. Please read some of the advice on this website on getting bookings. You will want to work on that from day one. It's so much easier to get the bookings at shows then to go looking for them.

Best of luck!

Rhonda B.
Wave 3! Can't wait!!!!!! My first conference!!!!!

mrssyvo said:
My husband was actually the one that talked me into doing this !!!! I could not decide, and he sort of pushed me into it. I am so glad that he did.

This reminded me of something funny. Before Ihosted my show my recruiter and I talked a little about the opportunity and I told her that it sounded good, but I just wanted to talk to my husband. When I hosted my show, my now director cautiously asked, "Did you get to talk to Dave about what we discussed?" My husband jumps in and says, "Oh, yeah, she's totally gonna do it." LOL

I'm in my 4th month with PC doing it as PT and working another FT job which I don't plan to change (family business). I love working PC! I think the best way to convince a husband that it's a great job is to tell him you can make back your $90 with your first show. If you do that, you have nothing to lose, so go ahead and try it. Why not? Tell him that if you try it for 4 shows and aren't satisfied, you will quit and keep that wonderful start kit.

Of course, the hardest part of this business is not to spend everything you make on products. It's so tempting, but you have to set yourself limits, if it is important for you to have the income. We earn so many free products that it's a little ridiculous to buy so much for yourself anyway. I'm working right now on saving my commission to repaint and carpet my den. When I say I made the money with PC to do this, I'm going to be so proud! So I would say just jump in there and buy the starter kit and give it a sincere effort.

Jeanie

You should really start sharing that at your shows Jeanie! I really want to go to midwife school, but it costs $5000. My sales didn't really increase once I started telling people what I was actually going to do with my commission, but it does make people feel a little closer to you which connects you to them on another level. Just share even a tiny piece of info non-PC realted and it helps guests see you as a person just like them, not a skeezy sales person.

As for not having spousal support, my husband has never been too thrilled with PC and says that same thing about how I spend more money on PC than I make, which isn't true. WORST CASE SCENARIO we are about even, but even with that I am getting out of my house, staying home with my 1 and 2 year olds and bringing any money in. I will be frustrated about something and he says just quit. He is totally not realizing what PC does for me. All I can do I try and show him that I care about PC and keep working away. Good luck and I hope you can see that while spouse support helps immensly, it isn't imperative to running a good business.

I hadn't thought about sharing this at my shows - Thanks! I haven't even told my family I'm going to buy new paint and carpet. I wanted to surprise them that I did it with my PC money. I guess you are right - people will help out more if you tell them your goals.

Jeanie

I joined!!Just an update ladies... I officially joined PC and have had a few shows (2 of them were $1000 shows!!!). Don't hesitate to join - you have nothing to lose. As for my husband...he's very supportive now. He tells everyone about PC and loves the test recipes I make and fell over when he saw my first commission cheque!:)

Last edited:
I am soooo happy for you! The same thing happened with my Director. her husband was opposed but he came around and wound uo buying her a laptop!! CONGRATS on your HUGE shows!!!

And, you are right. You have NOTHING to lose. Even if you never do well, you at least got some great products for $90!

I am in my fith month of selling PC and I love every min of it!!! My future hubby is extremly supportive of me.. The people that I wasn't expecting to be supportive of me.. was my family boy was I suprised they want to buy soemthing every time I turn around which is good for me. But shocking at the same time..... BUT I LOVE MY JOB!!:)

What a great thread!Here's my situation. My hubby surprised me by telling me to go for it when I came home from a show and wanted to do this on the side. I think he saw I was so unhappy at work that it wouldn't hurt. And, as he jokes, I needed something to put on my plate since I finished my master's degree LOL.

We have gone through the gamut and I'm just in SS2. He complains that I spend all my time talking about it, so I'm trying to be sensitive that he doesn't want to hear EVERY detail...but then, this is a struggle in our regular lives. It's not that he doesn't want to know what's going on, he just doesn't want the "girlfriend" version. But again, this is normal.

He has complained some about this taking up our weekends together. Until a year ago, he worked most nights and weekends, so it didn't matter what I did with my time (we have no kids). Now that he's home by 9 during the week and off weekends, it's starting to matter a little. Of course, that is also a reference to the volunteer organizations I work with as well. It all adds up, I guess, and I started PC around a time very busy for me with those groups that is now easing up. Fortunately, he's into fantasy football, so I made a lot of my Show dates in the fall coordinate with Sunday football. He won't miss me b/c he'd ignore me if I was home!

The other thing was the laptop we got for Christmas. He finally agreed to let me use it for Shows if I promised to leave him my work laptop to use for football on dates we had conflicts.

And finally, I think the biggest thing like everyone else, he wants to know if I'm really making money. I did well in SS1, over $500 in commission. When all my incentive packages started showing up, he asked how much I paid for them. When he found out the only box I paid for was the $40 in samples I ordered, he was more impressed. Now, I know these freebies will show up on the 1099, but still. Oh, and he LOVES the forged cutlery I earned. He was drooling for some of those right before I earned it!

I think that he will come around with time, or more accurately, proof that I won't spend everything I make on this. The Home Depot card for my first recruit will help as we want to get a new sink for the kitchen.

Eventually, I'd like to make a career of this, but I know that takes time. That would blow him away I think!

Lisa: Very similar to my husband. Used to be out nights and weekends and not so much now.

Lisa: Very similar to my husband. Used to be out nights and weekends and not so much now.

I find that it drives my future hubby nuts when I talk about PC all of the time but he knows how important it is to me!!! LOL

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
brandy223
  • Alicia Denman
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
texaschef1
  • CassieMarie
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies