• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should We Serve Alcohol at Direct Sales Shows?

In summary, alcohol is typically served at shows hosted by the Consultant, whether or not a recipe for the drink includes alcohol. Guests are typically aware of this and are responsible with their drinking.
missmindym
I'm just wondering how you all reconcile this with the fact that guests drive to get to the host's house. I realize that they are not all getting tanked, but regardless they are still having a drink at a show you are the Consultant for and then driving home.

I'm still very new and my recent hostess kind of wanted to add the rum to the mojitos at her show but I was kind of reluctant. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against alcohol or anything, I'm just trying to figure out how everyone else is okay with it without question?

I understand completely. I have the same thoughts. I tell the hosts that it's an option in the recipe and let them decide. I don't look for an answer. I just mention it. Many of my shows there is alcohol served regardless of my recipes.

It also depends on how long they'll hang out and what kind of food is being served and how much alcohol is involved. I have hosts have alcohol AT shows, so if it's part of a recipe, I'd probably have the host do it. I personally don't drink and have very strong feelings about drunk driving (and people's abilities to figure out if they should drive). I've known too many people hurt by it. I don't care if people drink. I just want them to do it responsibly. No driving after is the best to me.

I've made the Mojitos with the rum, as well as the adult version of the cran-raspberry fizz at shows. When I make them, it's the first recipe completed, so everyone has their drink early in the evening, with the other recipe to follow. The crowds I've made them for have been really social, so they're there for more than an hour after their drink. Additionally, the Mojitos have 1/2 cup of rum. That's 4 ounces. If you serve the pitcher of drinks to 8 people, it works out to 1/2 ounce of rum each, and that's 1/2 of a drink. Not much alcohol at all. Add food and time to the mix, and unless they're also downing other adult beverages, they're not likely to be affected by the time they leave.

I don't drink, and I don't agree with drinking (any) and driving. Grew up in a family where both my parents were alcoholics....watched my dad get DUI's and claim he shouldn't have gotten them "that particular night" and watched my mom die of alcoholism 2 years ago.

That being said, I do NOT look down my nose at those who drink...but it won't be coming from me. I will NOT be the one putting alcohol in a drink. If the host wants to do that, so be it. Honestly, the only time it has even come up is at my Mexican Margarita parties. I tell the host ahead of time that I will do the "mexican" half of the party, and she can do what she wants for the "margarita" half. Some make alcoholic drinks...some don't...some make a mixture of some of each and that way guests can choose what they want! I do see alcohol being served at many of my parties...but, again, it's in the host's house and it's her decision on wether or not to offer that.

KellyTheChef said:
I do NOT look down my nose at those who drink...but it won't be coming from me. I will NOT be the one putting alcohol in a drink. If the host wants to do that, so be it.
Same here. I tell my hosts that I don't drink, but if they want to have something there for their guests, then that's fine with me. And I've had lots of shows with some alcohol, but I never prepare a recipe with alcohol in it. (And on a side note, I made the triple citrus mojitos here at my house with the club soda and everyone LOVED them!!!)

We do it alot at neighborhood shows and the neighbors are walking home or someone has come with a friend. I have never had a guest get tanked and drive, I couldn't allow that.

I was worried about this too, but I just make sure I don't touch it. With the interactive shows, a guest or the host makes the drinks and someone else pours it. I can't be responsible for their actions - they're all adults and if they're going to have a margarita, they're probably going to also have a glass of wine or a drink if I didn't have the margaritas there. I just won't serve it to them.

Most of my shows are on Friday and Sat nights, my hosts plan it that way and I get a lot of couple at my shows. They always continue partying after I leave, they tend to refrain on the drinking while I do my show.

I have been doing cocktail shows for years before HO came up with the mojitos. It is very common in our area, as it is wine country. Almost every show I do has a beverage, with or without alcohol, depending on the host's desire. If it has alcohol, I do that demo first, then they have food after and time to absorb. Remember . . . we are giving them samples of the drink, not a 12 oz. margarita. I have never had anyone get drunk at a show. I have never had anyone offended by alcohol being in the drink. My hosts always have alternatives for those who chose not to try it. My guests love to learn how to do cocktails the Pampered Chef way (in large quantity) so that it makes their entertaining easier and they are not constantly making drinks at their own parties.

I figure everyone who attends is an adult and can decide if they want to drink or not. To me it's a non-issue. I am not responsible for someone else.

DebbieJ said:
I figure everyone who attends is an adult and can decide if they want to drink or not. To me it's a non-issue. I am not responsible for someone else.

I'm with Debbie on this one. If you look at how much alcohol is requested in the mojitos vs how many are drinking it, I'd say each person would get no more than an ounce per drink. Plus with a little food in their bodies they should be ok.
We too have wine at shows and if a host asks, her house, her rules. At my last show they cracked open two bottles and no problems. Some walked and some drove without issues. People know their limits.

I just don't offer any recipes that contain alcohol. If they want to serve any type of alcohol as their beverage then fine, but I have no part in it. For me, it's how I want to run my business. There are so many delicious recipes and theme shows to choose from and we're constantly coming up with terrific show ideas. It's just not an issue. I think about it this way... Which recipes will allow me to show the most tools and talk the most about my business? Then I go from there.

I've been in PC for 6 months and it's worked! It's my business, I make the rules, and recipe choices :~D I LOVE THIS BUSINESS!

DebbieJ said:

I agree - to me, its the host's friends and family and her house - she is responsilbe for them -

Being in the restaurant/bar business for over 20 years, I will tell you that it is the servers responsiblity as well as the establishments. That said they also have the right to refuse service -

I, personally, make a recipe of food - drinks are the hosts job.

My host wanted the triple citrus mojitos (with rum). I told her that was fine, but she would need to supply the rum as I didn't want to be responsible if someone had an accident after getting drunk (and drove!) after a beverage I made for them. She was fine with that and actually, some guests at the party didn't want to drink, so she served the rum on the side. This worked out really well and everyone was happy. It was very good both ways.

Really people we are not here to judge .... God doesn't want us pointing fingers at others. You are there to perform for your business, make ANY drinks fit your needs and let the host "doctor" what their guests want. When you start to judge others ............ hang up your apron.And I am a person who does drink ... however I do not judge others who drink less or more than I do.

I let the host and guests do whatever they want. I have also been known to have a glass along with them ;)

pamperedlinda said:
I let the host and guests do whatever they want. I have also been known to have a glass along with them ;)

Me too! ;)

I usually make the beverage while the first recipe is in the oven. I've had more than one show where the guests drank so much that by the time the food was ready, they didn't even care and sales were WAY down. So I serve the beverage at the same time as the food.My host from Tuesday is the first one that told me later she'd wished I'd done the Sangria first. And judging by the crowd, they probably could have stood a little loosening up. So now I'm second-guessing myself and will consider the order of things.

I stick to a regular recipe and let the host decide if she wants alcohol to be served. If she does, that's up to her. I don't discuss it with her or anything. It's their house, they are the host, and it's their guests. I don't drink for religious reasons, but I don't impose my views on them. My last show, we were supposed to do interactive, but the host brought out the wine and had everyone sit, so that idea went out the window. :)

Chefstover2 said:
I usually make the beverage while the first recipe is in the oven. I've had more than one show where the guests drank so much that by the time the food was ready, they didn't even care and sales were WAY down. So I serve the beverage at the same time as the food.

My host from Tuesday is the first one that told me later she'd wished I'd done the Sangria first. And judging by the crowd, they probably could have stood a little loosening up. So now I'm second-guessing myself and will consider the order of things.

I never make beverages at my shows, I let my hosts do that part - but I have found that when they drink they usually order more! LOL I even have had hosts tell me that they are pushing the drinks so that their friends will loosen up on their wallets!

This post is from 2008......

DebbieJ said:
This post is from 2008......

Dang! I usually catch that....got me this time :) must have been all that liquor talk :rolleyes:

Just because it's an old topic- doesn't mean the issue isn't still pertinent today.

I was aware of the date, but figured since it came up and was bumped and discussion was on again, I'd add my comments. :D This isn't a time sensitive one, so I figured why not.

DebbieJ said:

Yup. Just like if I was attending a party at someone else's house, it's not my business to tell people if they should or shouldn't drink! If a host wants to have alcohol, I say go for it...

My hubby did a show one night that I could not make, the host had bottles of wine and tried making him take one home with him! We don't drink much and rarely touch wine at all so he declined.(had it been kaluhah or frangelica...)

My thought is these people are adults and it's up to them to make the right choices for their lives. I don't serve the alcohol/wine/etc, but if they want to drink it then go for it!

In addition, people at the parties I've done usually just have a glass of wine or something - nothing crazy.

littlemaisyPC said:

me, three!

And I read through all the comments, and never noticed the date until Deb brought it up!

Related to Should We Serve Alcohol at Direct Sales Shows?

1. Can I serve alcohol at my Pampered Chef show?

Yes, as long as it is in accordance with local laws and regulations. It is important to check with your venue and local authorities beforehand.

2. Do I need to provide alcohol or can guests bring their own?

It is up to the host's discretion. Some hosts may choose to provide a few drink options, while others may allow guests to bring their own preferred drinks.

3. What types of alcoholic drinks are appropriate to serve at a Pampered Chef show?

Wine and light cocktails are generally the most popular options. It is important to have a variety of options to accommodate different tastes and preferences.

4. Can I offer non-alcoholic alternatives for guests who do not drink?

Yes, it is always a good idea to have non-alcoholic options available for guests who do not drink or prefer not to drink at the event.

5. Are there any special tools or products needed to serve drinks with alcohol at a Pampered Chef show?

No, you do not need any special tools or products. However, it is important to have appropriate glassware and serving utensils for the drinks being served.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• 1PamperedMommy
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
sandilou
Replies
Views
Deb Ehlers
  • finley1991
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies