• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating a Combined Direct Sales Show - Ideas Needed!

maybe have them make a dish or two! That way, even if they can't book the show, they'll at least have a really great experience! That's so much better than giving up, right? Thanks for your help!
ilove2cookpc
So...I was stoked about this show I was having next week. Even more stoked when a friend of mine called to do an office catalog show the same day along with another direct sales company, Scentsy (wickless candles). Well, my host and my friend called eachother and switched plans on me! They thought it would be cool to combine the two shows and have a great big party! Well, that's great and everything because there will be lots more people there that my host didn't invite, but now I get to share the profits/orders with the Scentsy lady!

I'm going to call the Scentsy lady (I know her personally) and see how we can do it. To respect everyone's time at the show, we both need to shorten things up a lot! Should we have the candles in the living room and PC in the kitchen? I'm just not sure how this should all go!

I'd really like to have a demo, but I don't think there will be time. I guess I'll just have the recipe already done and out of the oven. Geez, I'm so bummed. Should I just pass out lap boards, explain the specials and be done? I'm so bummed! I just really don't think I'll get any recruit or booking leads from this. I could be wrong, it's all how I work it, but I need some ideas! Please help!!!

THANK YOU!

I don't think you should just give up and hand out the info. I would do something hands on... like maybe have a recipe made up and then do the pass around pineapple salsa! That way people will get excited, you can show the pineapple wedger and have them play with the salad choppers and have some other stuff set up. Garlic with the peeler, slicer and press... have some potatoes set up with the UM, have the food chopper set out with some nuts or something like that... there are all kinds of little stations that you can set up and let them play! Do like an infomercial demo... that's what I always do for my lunch hour shows. Have the recipe made and then just go like crazy though all of the fun stuff, I usually have a big mess, kind of act like the Sham Wow guy or the Slap-Chop guy and just go crazy and show as many products as you can. Just have a bunch of veggies and garlic and don't forget to show a lime, the Microplane adjustable grater, the citrus press... people always love those. I think you can do okay... It does suck that they threw the other consultant in on you but I think you should go for it!

I agree with Paula - don't give in to discouragement!

If you have the new sauces and seasonings - you could show them how easy it is to serve appetizers, even last minute - as long as you have a block of cream cheese, a loaf of french bread, and some crackers & olive oil!

ChefPaulaB said:
I don't think you should just give up and hand out the info. I would do something hands on... like maybe have a recipe made up and then do the pass around pineapple salsa! That way people will get excited, you can show the pineapple wedger and have them play with the salad choppers and have some other stuff set up. Garlic with the peeler, slicer and press... have some potatoes set up with the UM, have the food chopper set out with some nuts or something like that... there are all kinds of little stations that you can set up and let them play! Do like an infomercial demo... that's what I always do for my lunch hour shows. Have the recipe made and then just go like crazy though all of the fun stuff, I usually have a big mess, kind of act like the Sham Wow guy or the Slap-Chop guy and just go crazy and show as many products as you can. Just have a bunch of veggies and garlic and don't forget to show a lime, the Microplane adjustable grater, the citrus press... people always love those. I think you can do okay... It does suck that they threw the other consultant in on you but I think you should go for it!

You're right! I'm just such a control freak that this has really put a cloud over me! How silly! I think stations sounds like a WONDERFUL idea. Even if I can't do a demo, there's no reason I can't get them involved and playing with our tools!!! EXCELLENT! Thank you!

Another question...should I go through the booking slide, do any games? I want to keep it short, but I'm not sure how to throw in that stuff.

ilove2cookpc said:
You're right! I'm just such a control freak that this has really put a cloud over me! How silly! I think stations sounds like a WONDERFUL idea. Even if I can't do a demo, there's no reason I can't get them involved and playing with our tools!!! EXCELLENT! Thank you!

Another question...should I go through the booking slide, do any games? I want to keep it short, but I'm not sure how to throw in that stuff.

I'd pass on the games - but definitely do your bookings slide! (that is, if you are wanting to get bookings!;))

This may sound bad, but really - you want people to remember YOU and PC - not some candle company! Be the person and the product that sticks in their mind!

You asked about being in two different rooms. You may find that people don't come into the kitchen, I would think about presenting in the same space so the guest can't avoid you.

I did a Tastefully Pampered party a few months ago, where the host had a Tastefully Simple consultant in the living room and me in the kitchen. We worked together and agreed that I would do my demo first and then while the guests were eating and looking at the catalog, they would sample the TP stuff in the living room. I asked the TP consultant to use my Simple Additions plates and bowls (and the bamboo servers) for her dips and such, and I mentioned during my demo which of the TP products could be used in different recipes made with PC tools. It was a good cross-sell that benefited both of us.Maybe you can bring the trifle bowl and ask the candle lady to make a display using her candles and your bowl. Use the mini Simple Additions squares for tea lights or think of other ways our entertaining products can do double duty with candles and not just food.

myinnerchef said:
I did a Tastefully Pampered party a few months ago, where the host had a Tastefully Simple consultant in the living room and me in the kitchen. We worked together and agreed that I would do my demo first and then while the guests were eating and looking at the catalog, they would sample the TP stuff in the living room. I asked the TP consultant to use my Simple Additions plates and bowls (and the bamboo servers) for her dips and such, and I mentioned during my demo which of the TP products could be used in different recipes made with PC tools. It was a good cross-sell that benefited both of us.Maybe you can bring the trifle bowl and ask the candle lady to make a display using her candles and your bowl. Use the mini Simple Additions squares for tea lights or think of other ways our entertaining products can do double duty with candles and not just food.
Yes, that's a great idea... I love the Trifle with a candle... and you could maybe add some springy elements around it too... Great idea! And I love the tea lights in the squares, they are so cute! Also, you would definitely want to at least do a drawing for a Seasons Best or something, get people's info...

ChefPaulaB said:

She has a very open house so I will be in the kitchen overlooking the living room, it will be perfect. Tell me what you think of this...I'm going to have simple stations where they can come try out the products. I'm thinking of a "Demo" Derby. I set the Timer and they have 10 minutes to "Demo" as many products as they can. The host will hand out tickets. The person with the most tickets at the end gets a prize. Too chaotic? I think it would be fun! At least they'll get some hands-on experience with the products. I can walk around and answer questions. It may be just what they need to cure the "yawns" from the scentsy portion of the evening! LOL

ilove2cookpc said:
I'm thinking of a "Demo" Derby. I set the Timer and they have 10 minutes to "Demo" as many products as they can. The host will hand out tickets. The person with the most tickets at the end gets a prize.

I LOVE the "Demo Derby" idea. I think guests will have a lot of fun with it!! Go for it! :)
Jen

For those of you don't know.....scentsy does not sell typical candles, they sell wax and warmers...fun party, but usually just lots of smelling the different scents they offer and then placing your order.

Definately do the bookings slide!! I did a Tastefully/Chef party in January that I do every year and this year I decided to do the slides--finally got 2 bookings instead of just some orders!!! And the tastefully lady pretty much just said come and eat, let me know what you want and i did a little bit of a demo.

I've done TS/PC shows (3 in the last month!) and I've ROCKED them all! One show was $400 (TS got about $140), the next was $515 (TS was $400) and the third was my Open House and for some reason its been my worst at $200 (TS was $150). There were many factors for my OH to fail so miserably (for me at least) so don't think its a bad thing overall. :) I plan to do more combo shows since it worked so well!!!! I've done it with two different consultants for TS and both were great. We served on PC, ate all TS food, and discussed the cookware, UM, and I think one other thing along the way.

Oh my gosh, so loving the Demo Derby idea!! My sister, who finally hosted a show today (I just celebrated my one year anniversary), had so much fun, she wants to have another show next month. She was thinking of combining it with a game night, so we were thinking no demo, or the night would be too long. However, I think this would work great. Grrr, too late to call her right now.

Oops, sorry about the highjack. Obviously, I agree you can work this combo show to your advantage, especially using clever ideas like this one.

My sister sells Premiere Jewelry and she and I do combined shows quite often. The way we do it is this: I start and introduce both of us and then launch into my portion of the show. I have guests use my tools and products as I talk. I usually do two recipes; say a dessert and a main dish. When the longest cooking item actually goes into the oven/microwave, I turn it over to her and she does her presentation. When she is done, so is my recipe and then we sit individually with each guest and do a complete checkout. People ask for the combined shows because some of their friends are into jewelry and some are into Pampered Chef. I usually do the chicken in the covered baker and when I do that, I sell at least two,depending on the size of the guest list. I have sold as many as six as a show. Yes, it is a mini show but one product line doesn't have to detract from the other. We get larger turnouts because of the appeal of having more than one product line. We call it "Pearls in the Kitchen" and really have fun with it. We give out tickets for questions relating to either pampered chef or premiere designs and then give out door prizes. We each put up two items to give away and let the one with the most tickets choose first and then so on for the top four. Some shows, she does extremely well and some shows, I do extremely well. But in none of the shows, have either of us totally bombed and not sold. We have tried to figure out if the combo shows is hurting either of us but I don't think so because of the appeal to different types of people. So, turn your combo show into something fun and you should be fine.:chef:

This may not apply - just sharing.

I had a similar scenario happen to me the very night of the show. I was planning on a huge show, my host had 20 people attending. When I drove up, she and her sister ran out to tell me that she decided to let her sister who sells smelly stuff set up a display in her dining room. Sorry to those who sell smelly stuff, it gives me a headache. I respectfully asked her not to do this, but it was too late, already set up.

This host was a repeat host of $1,000 shows, so I know we were expecting big sales. As it turned out, her show was only $300 when I left. She said to me that she couldn't understand why there weren't more sales. I didn't have the heart to tell her where all of her sales went.

Later on after the show, I was speaking to one of the ladies who attended the show and she was upset because she was going to a Pampered Chef Show, not a combined show. I could see how people were upset, because now they had to split their intended shopping money between 2 products.

I guess I would say to make sure that the guests are aware that they are attending a combined show, it will affect sales on both sides of product lines. VA

I usually do a combined Pampered Chef/Tastefully Simple show for my daughter and I usually make out better than the TS lady. I start the demo, make a recipe, sometimes I make something TS, she uses my prep bowls for dips (she actually ordered a set to take to her shows), she does a little demo, we both cross sell each other and it usually works out pretty well. The invites do say a combined party so guests no up front.

myinnerchef said:
Maybe you can bring the trifle bowl and ask the candle lady to make a display using her candles and your bowl. Use the mini Simple Additions squares for tea lights or think of other ways our entertaining products can do double duty with candles and not just food.

Scentsy candles are electric. They either plug right into an outlet or have a cord. So A trifle bowl can't really hold one. Scentsy doesn't really have a long demo or talk. There is not much to say about them, I'd say 20 - 25 minutes tops and that would be long. I like scentsy, don't get me wrong, but there is just not a long demo for them.

Have fun at your combo party! It will be fun!

A good friend of mine sells Scentsy & we have done several combo shows/open houses together. Usually her invited guests buy from her & mine buy from me. She doesn't really have a demo, just her baskets of scents and the warmers to look at. :)

Love the Demo Derby idea with a small crowd, but it would take FOREVER if you have 20 or 25 guests in the room. ;)And I agree ... the Scentsy oils will not work in the Pampered Chef stuff like PartyLite candles would.I was pushed into doing a combined show with a PartyLite girl. We didn't get a chance to talk in advance. The host said that all of her guests were already familiar with the product since she did PL shows all the time, so the consultant was going to do a quick 15 minute spiel to cover the specials & then turn over the crowd to me for the PC portion. 2 hours & 5 minutes later, the PL lady finished and gave the crowd to me. I was pretty furious!!!! So make sure that you both work out the schedule in advance so one of you is not furious with the other one for doing a whole freaking show and leaving the other sitting there waiting. I actually had to get up & go put the eggs back in the fridge about 45 min's into her spiel. :(I would recommend that you start with the cooking demo, put the stuff in the oven & then let them do Scentsy while they are waiting on the food to cook. Or have something quick that can be done & they can be eating during the Scentsy demo. If you have them smelling or thinking PC during the other demo it will probably show in your sales.

Just so everyone knows, and doesn't keep referring back to the original post - this thread is from over a year ago - MARCH of 2009!

I LOVE your comment Sheila... "If you have them smelling or thinking PC during the other demo it will probably show in your sales."

YES, YES...Pick a receipe with ALOT of aroma. LOL Guests stomachs will be thinking...Hurry up Candle Lady I'm hungry and want to eat!!! ROFLOL!
:::::shame on me:::::

I have a neighbor who makes and sells jewelry. twice a year we do an open house at her house, I set out things to touch and try, have at least two recipes to taste and catalogs/order forms for people. Since it's an open house style, there really isn't a demo, however as people come into the kitchen for snacks, I tell them about a few items, have recipe cards to hand out, and all of my pantry items to try. It has always worked out that we both do well. I put her down as the host, and since it is in her home give her the host benefits. I think it sounds like a win, win for both of you!! Relax and have fun. PC items are so great they sell themselves!!

Use the salsa recipe in the manual food processor. It is quick and easy and you use the citrus press you can show the garlic press and the peeler slicer as well as the shears for the cilantro. I like using the core and more to clean out the jalapeno. It only takes about 10 to 15 min. You could either the mango salsa or the quick and easy salsa. Good Luck. I did a show in November with 10 vendors in one home. If I had been the only one there I would have made out like a bandit but I think people feel like they need to buy from everyone and come with a set amount of money to spend.

Just an FYI- this is a regular topic that comes up, but as far as the ORIGINAL post for this particular thread...it is from 2009. However, that being said, it doesn't mean ideas can't still be exchanged, since this topic comes up alot.

I appreciate those still posting! I'm having an open house tomorrow And really appreciate all of the ideas I am getting from this thread! Keep em coming!

I love the Demo Derby idea, can you let me know what the stations are that you will be setting up?

mom5ca said:
I love the Demo Derby idea, can you let me know what the stations are that you will be setting up?

This thread is from 2009. I doubt you will get an answer. Who knows though, maybe someone will brainstorm new ideas.

Lost a friend over a situation like this. She tried to combine her Mary Kay Foot Spa party with my PC open house party. I did mine first. All during hers, guests kept asking PC questions. Friend went home with some sales, but poor for the distance she traveled. BAD IDEA!

Related to Navigating a Combined Direct Sales Show - Ideas Needed!

What are the benefits of participating in a combined direct sales show?

Participating in a combined direct sales show offers a unique opportunity to reach a larger audience and potentially increase sales. It also allows for networking and building relationships with other direct sales consultants. Additionally, it can save time and resources compared to hosting individual shows.

How can I effectively display my products at a combined direct sales show?

One way to effectively display your products is to create eye-catching and visually appealing displays. This can include using tablecloths, risers, and themed decorations. It is also important to have plenty of product samples and business cards available for customers to take.

What types of promotions or specials can I offer at a combined direct sales show?

There are several types of promotions and specials you can offer at a combined direct sales show, such as bundle deals, referral discounts, or limited-time offers. You can also offer exclusive deals for customers who make a purchase at the show or host a party with you.

How should I approach networking with other direct sales consultants at a combined show?

Networking with other direct sales consultants at a combined show can be beneficial for both parties. One way to approach networking is to introduce yourself and your business, exchange business cards, and offer to support each other's businesses through collaborations or referrals. It is also important to be genuine and build genuine relationships.

What are some creative ideas for attracting customers to my booth at a combined direct sales show?

There are many creative ways to attract customers to your booth at a combined direct sales show. Some ideas include offering product demonstrations, hosting a raffle or giveaway, providing samples or freebies, or hosting a game or activity. You can also utilize social media to promote your booth and engage with attendees before the show.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Joelybear
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • straitfan
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Jilleysue
  • Laura Kavanaugh