• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sensitive Topic---Dealing With Host (See Inside)

In summary, the person is uncomfortable with working with a mentally handicapped person. They are unsure of how to proceed. They suggest some tips for dealing with the host.
DebbieJ
I did a fair in April and of course made calls. Booked a show for late June with Nancy. In talking with her, I figured out early on that she has a mental disability. She talked about participating in Special Olympics, etc. But she lives on her own (I think--she has a street address and apt #) and seems to be very high functioning. Heck, she was able to book a show and has sent me all kinds of addresses of people to invite!

I'm just feeling a little uneasy...I do not have a ton of experience working with this population. I don't quite know how to proceed. We really haven't done a ton of planning or host coaching yet as her show is still a month off.

Does anyone have any tips or pointers for me? Words of encouragement to help me with this show? I'm not thinking about cancelling or anything, I just want to proceed with caution.

I would think to treat her just like you would with anyone else. Sometimes they act FAR better than some of our capable hosts. :rolleyes:

SillyChef said:
I would think to treat her just like you would with anyone else. Sometimes they act FAR better than some of our capable hosts. :rolleyes:

GREAT POINT!!!

SillyChef said:

True!

I'd just make sure you explain everything clearly and answer all her questions when choosing host benefits and ordering. If she lives on her own, some of the products will be of great use to her and I'm sure she'll love them. :)

I agree with treating her like you would any other guest. Handicapped people just want to be treated like real people, they just may need a little extra coaching. I have worked with the mentally handicapped and they just love to be around other people who can treat them like a human being.

I think treating her like you would anyone is the best thing to do. Keep us posted.

Hello - I am a special education teacher and have a few pointers. One would definitely be to treat her like every other host. You will definitely need to be clear on her role as the host. I would type up steps on what she needs to do. For example:

1. Buy ingredients
2. Remind all guests
Etc.

Actually this would be a great tip for any host... haha. I would also make a few more phone calls than usual... just to be sure.

I hope that helps!

Just be yourself and she will be herself and all will be well. She's just another host as far as SHE is concerned ... and that's how she wants you to see her as well. Have fun!

Thanks for all your tips and reassurrance!!!!

She has already been calling and calling me so I think she's super excited. I'm looking forward to a fun show!

I think there is an increased responsibility on your part if you are dealing with people with a dimished capacity. Yes, treat her like any other host, as in treating her with respect. However, people who have such issues may not be very responsible making decisions about money. They are likely very easily led. I would talk with her a bit and see if she has some sort of caregiver, or perhaps a social worker. You might want to be sure she invites that person to her show.

She is already eager to talk to you. You'll likely find her very forthcoming with enough information for you to have a really good idea of her situation. I'd be leery of a room full of people who buy more emotionally than most people.

You never know who you will impress in a positive way by watching out for your hosts best interests in this.

I have had special needs hosts before. I also have a friend who works with special needs adults and sometimes brings them along on outings. I can echo the others. Treat her like you would any host. Just make sure she clearly understands everything. Chances are, you will find that she's a delight to work with.

I was in Best Buddies throughout college-started by former first lady Carter and it pairs college students with highly functioning mentally retarded adults (throught the ARC-Assoc. of Retarded Citizens).
Yes treat her like everyone else and be very clear but also very simple. Put everything in a list or step by step timeline. The best hostess coaching thing would be the calendar reminder stickers. She calls and calls you also because you've been adopted--you're now considered a new friend. Proceed with caution b/c after the show friends are still around.

I agree with what has been said and want to add one more thing. Make sure she knows it is okay if she doesn't understand something and it is very okay to ask questions. Sometimes the need to look "normal" can be very strong.

It's the "smart" hosts that you have to worry about. You know the ones "I know, I know..." every step of host coaching they already know. Your host will be listening - she's used to that - and will do exactly what you tell her.

My thoughts, exactly, Beth. Those "smart" ones can be a pain in the patootie.

I think you have huge opportunity! It could be a mild handicap and work very well! I would also offer the opportunity and see what she says!

Got to love the know it alls.

So? How'd it go?Hi Debbie,

I am so curious. How'd the party go? I read all the great advice. Never have run across this myself ~ BUT, I've had the "I know... I know" "expert" host. :D

If you're willing to share...

The party is not until the end of June.

I have a physical disability myself (some people still equate that with learning disabilities-talk really loud, talk really slow...hello?) and from personal experience DO NOT treat her any different than you would anyone else! I also used to job coach young adults with all kinds of different disabilities. Just use your best judgement and if she seems to be confused about something just check in with her to make sure she is with you (and you should probably do that with every host!)
If she is high functioning then she is aware of her disability and also aware when people treat her differently...

Last edited:
UpdateI had the show this past weekend and it was a hoot!

I was worried because every time I asked Nancy who was coming, she was telling me who WASN'T coming! She was easily distracted on the phone.

We had 7 guests in attendance. Nancy had $225 in outside orders for me when I walked in. The show was very fun and I also got THREE bookings! One cooking show and two catalog shows.

She already has another $100+ in orders that she's sending me, so I'm thinking this show will be over $600. We're closing on Thursday so it still counts for the June Sell a Thon (which puts me over for Level 2--yee haw!).

I am so glad I didn't cancel on her. It was fun and I made money, too!

Debbie, I am so glad it was a good experience for you!

And congratulations on Level 2!!!

Whew! I'm glad that worked out.

I think it was wonderful of you to do the show and treat her like anyone else. It is wonderful that everything worked out.

Congratulations!

I'm excited for you too! I had a hostess similar to yours, and she was one of the most conscientious hostess I had in my first six months. She worked at getting outside orders, had lots of guests and has since done a small catalog party for me. This gal selected our 8" saute pan for her Free product. I had enticed her to have the party with a small bar board and knife set. Incentives seem to work well in helping such a hostess have a goal to strive for. Congratulations on the successful size party it turned into!

Related to Sensitive Topic---Dealing With Host (See Inside)

1. How should I handle a host who cancels their party at the last minute?

If a host cancels their party at the last minute, it is important to stay calm and understanding. Reach out to the host and ask if everything is okay and if there is anything you can do to help. You can also offer to reschedule the party for a later date or suggest a virtual party instead.

2. What should I do if a host doesn't invite enough guests to their party?

If a host does not invite enough guests to their party, it is important to have a conversation with them about the importance of having a good turnout for a successful party. You can also offer to help the host by providing them with a list of potential guests or offering incentives for them to invite more people.

3. How do I handle a host who is not satisfied with their rewards?

If a host is not satisfied with their rewards, it is important to listen to their concerns and address them in a professional and understanding manner. You can offer to go over the rewards program with them again and explain how they can earn more rewards by having a successful party.

4. What can I do if a host is not following through with their party commitments?

If a host is not following through with their party commitments, it is important to have an open and honest conversation with them. Express your concerns and ask if there is anything you can do to help. You can also remind them of the importance of keeping their commitments for a successful party.

5. How should I handle a host who is not responding to my messages or calls?

If a host is not responding to your messages or calls, it is important to be persistent but also understanding. Keep trying to reach out to them and leave a message if needed. If you still do not receive a response, it may be best to move on and focus on other parties and potential hosts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefPeg
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • NooraK
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies