• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

School Fundraiser - Non Pampered Chef

being used.PC is not an option because it has to be at least a 40% return. Our biggest obstacle right now is parents' time.
dianevill
Gold Member
I am the co-president of our elementary school's Home and School and we're looking at new fundraisers for the 2008 school year. We need to raise about $40,000 over the course of a year (we have 683 children). Our biggest fundraiser is the Fall Fundraiser, and we make about $23,000 (the rest are smaller fundraisers throughout the year - Entertainment Books, Cookie Sales, Pointsettias, Plants, Scrip, Market Day, "Family Fun Day", etc). We currently use Kathryn Beich for our Fall Fundraiser (there are two forms - one is for wrapping paper and gifty type products, and the other form is for pizzas, cookie dough and pies). We would like to look at some other options, as people aren't happy with the quality of the products.

What are some of the other companies/programs your schools have used successfully? PC is NOT an option (first, no home based businesses, second, it has to be at least a 40% return). Our biggest obstacle right now is parents' time. We do not have a lot of volunteers that are willing to step up and take charge, and it's the same 10% of the people doing 90% of the work. We would LOVE to find a fundraiser that pretty much sells itself (we like the catalog idea that Kathryn Beich offers, just sick of the quality). We would also love for it to bring in closer to $30,000 so that we can cut out some of the smaller fundraising activities - I think by mid-year everyone's completely burned out!

Any ideas?

Thank you!

I have bought Sally Foster products many times from me nephews and nieces, and been very happy with the products. I think you get 50% back. They have gift wrap, gift items and chocolates/candy. I LOVE the quality of the gift wrap, it is very thick. It seems a little pricey, especially if you get a fancier metallic one, but actully the rolls are HUGE. If you stop to look at the number of square feet, I think it is a great deal (especially for the less "fancy" but still really cute wrapping paper). The web-site is just sallyfoster.com

Hope this helps!

Current has a FR catalog, with the paper and gift items. I don't know anyone who has done a FR through them, though. Little Caesars Pizza has pizza kits that are good (although not healthy), and cookie dough. They have either a 40 or 50% return, and the prices aren't too bad. They also give you 10 free kits when you register and request info, which you can then turn around and sell at 100% profit, or use as refreshments at a kick-off. Little Caesars Fundraising Program - Little Caesars Pizza

I am not sure if you have a Krispy Kreme store near your area I know our schools sell a 1/2 dz. of doughnuts and it seems to be a big a hit or we have a really good choc. supplier in our area called gertrudehawk their candy is so good and they donate 50% of their candy bars so the bars are 1.00 you make .50 you would need an order over $900 in order for them to ship it the web site for this Gertrude Hawk Chocolates: Chocolate and Gifts from Gertrude Hawk Chocolates. I hope this helps out I think more people are getting sick of buying garbage gifts at high prices and it really must be hard for yourself to not be able to do Pampered Chef for the school. GOOD LUCK

I don't have any suggestions but I do have to say I agree with the quality of school fundrasiers. I have 3 neices in school, dance, gymnastics, etc and it seems like every time I turn around they have another fundraising flyer. They all hit me up in one month and I actually had to tell them I could only buy from one of them (I had already purchased from the first one). The prices are outrageous and alot of the times the products aren't even that good to pick from!

Fundraiser ideaI would suggest doing a spell-a-thon. We just tried this and it was a great success. People liked just giving money instead of having to buy things and it is 100% profit.
Amy

Thank you all so much - I'm compiling as I'm going. Amy, what is a Spell-a-Thon?

Not sure what the take is but our HSA loves doing Cherrydale every fall (that's our 'big' FR) http://www.cherrydale.com/shop/fundraising.php and the newest one they're trying is Market Day. Market Day | A Fundraiser Like No OtherSome folks complain about Cherrydale but the catalog is different every year, the quality is high (their chocolates are wonderful! and their wrapping paper is sturdy and nice!) and we haven't found anything to compare. They offer lots of things that end up as Xmas gifts and such... The first month we held MD our HSA made like $350 and that's with only a 200+ student base... We also have trouble getting folks to volunteer. Heck just having folks show up at a meeting is like pulling teeth sometimes. The last one we held had... 4 parents (not counting the HSA board) and as many teachers plus our principal. We've tried different time slots, sending out reminders and even invites and it's hard. I think some folks are afraid they'll be duped into volunteering but we're so no pressure, it's not even funny. LOL..

Ooh- that reminds me of a FR that my department did at work. It could totally be adapted for a school! They put out large jars, one for each team in the department (do grades or classes). Students bring in pennies to put in the jars. They can collect pennies from other people. And if you have a fair, put the jars out and let the public put pennies in them. The jar with the most money at the end of the FR wins a prize. But this is where it gets fun - non-pennies count NEGATIVE. So if you want your son's class to be ahead, put a dollar bill into another jar. That counts as -$1 for that class.

I was just going to post about the Little Caesar's FR. We bought from a JFL team member last spring & I was really hoping they'd do it again. Loved the pizzas & who doesn't like to eat? :)

lkprescott said:
Not sure what the take is but our HSA loves doing Cherrydale every fall (that's our 'big' FR) http://www.cherrydale.com/shop/fundraising.php and the newest one they're trying is Market Day. Market Day | A Fundraiser Like No Other

Some folks complain about Cherrydale but the catalog is different every year, the quality is high (their chocolates are wonderful! and their wrapping paper is sturdy and nice!) and we haven't found anything to compare. They offer lots of things that end up as Xmas gifts and such...

The first month we held MD our HSA made like $350 and that's with only a 200+ student base...

We also have trouble getting folks to volunteer. Heck just having folks show up at a meeting is like pulling teeth sometimes. The last one we held had... 4 parents (not counting the HSA board) and as many teachers plus our principal. We've tried different time slots, sending out reminders and even invites and it's hard. I think some folks are afraid they'll be duped into volunteering but we're so no pressure, it's not even funny. LOL..[/QUOTE]

We have the exact same problem. It's nice to know we're not the only ones. Our principal says that if they're not coming, we must be doing something right, because they're not there complaining:D . (I'm sure they're just doing it behind our backs...)

I think the one we just had through my sons daycare is Prestige.

AmyR said:
I would suggest doing a spell-a-thon. We just tried this and it was a great success. People liked just giving money instead of having to buy things and it is 100% profit.
Amy
I have to admit that I prefer to do this, too. I can give less, and the organization ends up with the same profit. And I don't end up with some poorly-made trinket taking up space and collecting dust.

Our school district also does Market Day. I'm not sure about the return though. It's kind of like Schwanns product line. Great quality, too.

chefann said:
Ooh- that reminds me of a FR that my department did at work. It could totally be adapted for a school!

They put out large jars, one for each team in the department (do grades or classes). Students bring in pennies to put in the jars. They can collect pennies from other people. And if you have a fair, put the jars out and let the public put pennies in them.

The jar with the most money at the end of the FR wins a prize. But this is where it gets fun - non-pennies count NEGATIVE. So if you want your son's class to be ahead, put a dollar bill into another jar. That counts as -$1 for that class.
We did this in Elementary to help build the new playgrounds. They also had us selling popsicle sticks to build a mock playground. People bought as many sticks as they wanted for a dollar each and put their name on it. Then the mock up was built and displayed at the grand opening of the new playgrounds.

Yes we have trouble getting people to our PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) we only had 5 including the principal at the last 3 meetings. We did Cherrydale as a fall fundraiser. It was a little to pricey for the area I live in. In the Spring we are setting up a Walk-a-thon for a fundraiser. The kids will walk and get sponsors. This way it is healthy and people can donate.
The details are a little fuzzy about how long they walk, since some Kindergarteners wouldn't be able to walk as much as some Fourth graders.

chefann said:
I have to admit that I prefer to do this, too. I can give less, and the organization ends up with the same profit. And I don't end up with some poorly-made trinket taking up space and collecting dust.

This is one of our options as well. We have a letter drafted informing parents that we need to raise $xxx per student, and if they'd rather contribute that amount instead of participating in fundraising events, they can do so (and personally, I'd prefer to just give money, too). We have to have it approved, though, by the district, and so far that hasn't happened, and may not happen in time for the next school year. We just found out our principal is retiring so we're in a bit of a scramble to find a new one (I have to admit that we're not all that sad she's leaving - we really need someone with a fresh perspective). She announced it rather late in the game and a lot of the candidates have already accepted positions. So...the district's attentions aren't focused on the lowly Home and School conundrum right now:D .

Keep 'em coming - any ideas are welcome. Thank you all so much for your input. I really appreciate your taking time out to help me!

We always do an auction for my Mothers of Multiples Club. All members get involved in collecting items. (It can be as simple as asking at the grocery store if they will donate a gift card to help needy families), and then we just bring everything to a meeting and have an auction. We have paper plates with our numbers on them, attached to paint stirrers, which we raise up when we want to bid, and someone volunteers as an auctioneer.I guess if you have trouble getting folks to participate in the fund-raising, your biggest hurdle would be getting thing donated. But once you get past that, it is easy to set up, and it is a fun night out the people who show up (whether you advertise it to the school or beyond and open it up to the general public.)Not sure if it would work for you, but I thought I would throw it out there as something different, fun, and fairly easy to do! Good luck!

dianevill said:
What is a Spell-a-Thon?
It's from Macbeth.

1 WITCH. Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
2 WITCH. Thrice and once, the hedge-pig whin'd.
3 WITCH. Harpier cries:—'tis time! 'tis time!
1 WITCH. Round about the caldron go;
In the poison'd entrails throw.—
Toad, that under cold stone,
Days and nights has thirty-one;
Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot!

ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

My son's elementary school did this fundraiser this year. I do not remember the exact amount of money they raised, but it was a lot.

Boosterthon Fun Run

The name of the company is Boosterthon Fun Run. I think the school took 52% of the money and the company took 48%. However, the company did most of the work for it so there was not a lot of volunteers needed for it. It was a huge success.

Lisa

I don't have kids but my friend has kids and they do a magazine one. Each kid in the school is addresses like 7 envelopes and then the school makes 40% of each subscription sold. My friend said it is really easy and there are tons of magazines to choose from and so that is how we get our subscriptions. The website is http://www.magtrak.com

JoLynn

dianevill said:
Thank you all so much - I'm compiling as I'm going. Amy, what is a Spell-a-Thon?
Witch fund raiser are you going to choose?
10.gif

Spell-a-thonHere are some details about the spell-a-thon:
Each child received a set of 25 words to study for 1-2 weeks. The school sent these out by mail. I would suggest doing mail and home with the kids. In those two weeks the kids got pledges from people like they would give $1 per word right or a flat donation. Each grade had a different set of words and the teachers modified some of the lists to the childs ability. On spell-a-thon day the teachers administered the spelling test to the kids individually and corrected them. Then as a parent group we tallied how much everyone owed and then the kids collected the money. We got 100% of the donations collected too. We raised $5000 and we are a small school and doing it for the first time. We think we can double or triple that next year instead of doing our normal food fundraiser. Hope that helps.
Amy

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Witch fund raiser are you going to choose?
10.gif

Cute smiley! A "spell"-a-thon would probably go over really well. I'm sure there are some who have been practicing for a few years!

I love all these ideas so far - I'm looking forward to sitting down w/ the other co-prez to make some decisions. BTW, she says thanks, too, and is impressed with all the ideas you've been sharing. I told her this was a great group!

P.S. Amy, thank you for clarifying the REAL spell-a-thon. LOL!

At work we have FRs for causes too - and the best ones are straight profit.

Like Ann's idea about collecting money in jars for departments, we collected money based on pet photos. People brought in pet photos and votes were determined by money collected for each pet. I think they had so many entries, pet photos were changed weekly with a "run-off" of weekly winners at the end. It made a huge amount. But I think there is probably alot of effort that goes into something like that.

We also have something about eating at a local restaurant. This is set up with the restaurant and it is basically anyone who goes to that rstaurant on a certain day (sometimes it is has time range) and mentions X fundraiser, a certain percentage of the check goes to the fundraiser. I think it is like 10% - so I don't know if that would work for you - but I can't imagine it would take a lot of effort - only promoting. I could get more details if you are interested.

Anyway, I saw a Yankee Candle Fundraiser last year. I have no idea about the FR %...but atleast you know the quality. I mention it since I was surprised that Yankee Candle had a FR option.

Good Luck!

jbarnhill said:
I don't have kids but my friend has kids and they do a magazine one. Each kid in the school is addresses like 7 envelopes and then the school makes 40% of each subscription sold. My friend said it is really easy and there are tons of magazines to choose from and so that is how we get our subscriptions. The website is http://www.magtrak.com

JoLynn
My neice just did a magazine fundraiser. I thought the prices were pretty decent and it was a good cause (not fattening candy!). She sold over 7 subscriptions just between 3 of us. She was so proud to earn a glow in the dark Garfield shirt (she's 8)

Wow, you guys have a huge budget compared to us; of course we have about half the kids you do. I'm a PTO officer for our grade schools. Our biggest fundraiser is our school carnival; we usually make around 10K. We have different games for the kids, they get tickets at the games to trade in for prizes. (kinda like chuckie cheese) We also have a concession stand, and a raffle that they buy tickets for $1 & we had some pretty awesome prizes for that. (which most were donated)
A thing that was a big hit; we made KU & KSU (since we're from KS) theme baskets that they could trade their tickets in for chances to win. The kids all went nuts over that. But you could do different themes & sell tickets to win them.
Something that goes over big around here are soup suppers.
And I totally know what you mean about little help. We actually had fairly good luck getting workers for the carnival this year. But at the next PTO meeting, only 2 parents came & 4 teachers, plus us officers. It's always the SAME parents that are most willing to help--frustrating!

There is a gift card one---

My old school does a craft fair every winter. They have local vendors come, which fills one half of the gym, and then the other half is full of donated baskets that they raffle off. The baskets are fabulous, there are probably 30 of them total, and they are full of great prizes. Last year they had a bakers rack and pot and pan set, a basket full of gift certificates to 15-20 local restaurants, a bike, a playstation or some type of gaming system, coupons for free plowing, shoveling, oil changes, etc. and all sorts of other ones. You should see the swarms of people at this thing, everyone goes crazy buying tickets for a chance to win the prizes.

The PTA makes about $25 off of each vendor table, and I don't know what they bring in from the raffles, but it has to be a lot. However, it takes a lot of work, and a lot of local businesses who are willing to donate. It wouldn't work everywhere, but in the right community, it can be great.

The student nurse's organization that I am a part of is currently looking at fundraisers also and have come up with selling Home Interiors candles (I think you make 50% profit-- I must say, I LOVE them), hoagie sales (some places actually make them for fundraisers), candy bar sales (such as Hershey), & a 50/50 ticket. Hope that helps & I love everyones ideas, especially the Yankee candle idea because those are another favorite of mine.

This one's fun. It's not 50% profit, though, it's 30%: American Coney Island. Coney dog kits from one of the landmark coney island restaurants in Detroit. I don't know if they'd ship to WI, but you could give them a call and ask.

When my sister was in elementary school, the schools in her district were told that if they wanted the grade level to have a 20:1 student:teacher ratio, they'd have to raise the funds to cover the extra teacher's salary.

The school got a local Mercedes Benz dealer to donate a car, and they sold raffle tickets at $100 a piece for a key which would give them a chance to win the car if the key worked. Now this was in Southern Orange County, a bit more of an affluent area, but it's worth considering if you were to find a car dealership willing to donate a car.

1. What are some alternative companies/programs that schools have used successfully for fundraisers?

Some popular options for school fundraisers include World's Finest Chocolate, Yankee Candle, Otis Spunkmeyer, and Sally Foster. These companies offer a variety of products such as chocolates, candles, and gift items that are typically well-received by customers. Additionally, many schools have had success with fundraising through local businesses and community partnerships, such as hosting a dine-out night at a local restaurant or selling coupon books.

2. Why is Pampered Chef not an option for our school's fundraiser?

Pampered Chef is a home-based business and therefore does not meet the criteria for being used as a school fundraiser. Additionally, their return rate is typically lower than the desired 40% for fundraisers.

3. How can we overcome the obstacle of limited parent involvement in our fundraisers?

One way to address this issue is by offering incentives or rewards for parent volunteers, such as a discount on their child's fundraising items or a raffle for a prize. Another option is to reach out to the broader community for volunteers, such as local businesses or organizations. Additionally, utilizing online platforms for fundraising can help alleviate the need for physical volunteers.

4. Is it possible to find a fundraiser that requires less volunteer effort and still brings in a higher profit?

Yes, there are several options for fundraisers that require minimal volunteer effort and have the potential to bring in higher profits. Online fundraisers, such as crowdfunding or selling products through an e-commerce platform, often require less volunteer involvement and can have a higher return rate. Additionally, partnering with a company that offers a pre-packaged fundraiser, such as a cookie dough or gift wrap sale, can also reduce the need for volunteers while still bringing in a significant profit.

5. Can we find a fundraiser that can potentially replace some of our smaller fundraising activities and raise closer to $30,000?

Yes, there are many fundraising options that have the potential to bring in $30,000 or more. One option is to partner with a company that offers a wide range of products, such as gift items, food, and household goods, to appeal to a larger customer base. Another option is to host a larger-scale event, such as a gala or auction, which can bring in significant profits through ticket sales, sponsorships, and donations. Additionally, utilizing online fundraising and reaching out to the broader community can also help increase profits and potentially replace smaller fundraising activities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Hillary
  • BlessedWifeMommy
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
LomitaLiz
  • esavvymom