• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Question About School Fundraisers

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of proposing more school fundraisers and the different types of fundraisers that can be done. It also touches on the importance of knowing the percentage of profit that goes to the school and how it can influence people's willingness to participate. The group also shares different fundraising ideas, such as selling tickets for a shopping spree and receiving discounts on products. There are also questions about how to handle situations where not enough tickets are sold.
BlessedWifeMommy
So I've been thinking about proposing more school fundraisers. I have some questions, floating in my mind...

From a parents/buyer's point of view. When you are asked to participate in a fundraiser, do you know how much the school makes? Does it matter to you?

I know from the school's point of view, they need to make the most they can, and even though people don't need useless items, they sell them so they can make money.

I'm thinking it is hard to compete with things like cookie dough where they can sell a tub for like $12 and make $6 profit.

Even with giving most/all commission and just counting it as marketing, the max donation I can give is 30%, which falls short compared with other fundraisers.

Thoughts?

When parents asked me the percentage when I did a school fundraiser, I told them and they were actually not disappointed. I know that many people would rather pay a little more and get something they will use for years then pay $15 for a thing of caramel corn. I think the fact that our prices start so low makes PC attractive as a fundraiser too. Even if 30% is less percentage-wise, maybe more people will make purchases and drive the donation up. Our school was fine with 20%!

I had another consultant tell me that when they did a fundraiser for their school - they sold tickets for $2.00 each - they said that it would be a Free Shopping Spree for one person in each classroom. They asked that each student would sell 10 tickets (they could sell more but that is what each student should try to sell) - there were an average of 19 students in each classroom - if each student sold their tickets, that would bring in $380 - with each classroom picking a winner that would get to receive $150 in products, and the opportunity to buy 60% Host product (they winner would have to pay for this) and 10% off for a year then the classroom would make at least $230. She said that she would figure in shipping and tax for them also. The school did a great job with that fundraiser.

I just heard about this one about 2 weeks ago and I might just ask the daughters school about that. But there is only about 12 - 14 students in her class

:chef:

Does anyone have a form letter that they send out to these schools? I am really interested in doing this at one of the local schools here. I would love to do it for my own school, but think that would definitely be a conflict of interest.

TIA!

whiteyteresa said:
I had another consultant tell me that when they did a fundraiser for their school - they sold tickets for $2.00 each - they said that it would be a Free Shopping Spree for one person in each classroom. They asked that each student would sell 10 tickets (they could sell more but that is what each student should try to sell) - there were an average of 19 students in each classroom - if each student sold their tickets, that would bring in $380 - with each classroom picking a winner that would get to receive $150 in products, and the opportunity to buy 60% Host product (they winner would have to pay for this) and 10% off for a year then the classroom would make at least $230. She said that she would figure in shipping and tax for them also. The school did a great job with that fundraiser.

I just heard about this one about 2 weeks ago and I might just ask the daughters school about that. But there is only about 12 - 14 students in her class

:chef:
I think this is an awesome idea but want to make sure I am getting it right. Basically, each class sells their own tickets. Then, they pull out a mystery host to get the discounts and shopping spree...right? I think that idea is fabulous but what if a lot of the students did not sell their tickets and the class barely brought in $150 worth of tickets or not even $150 worth of tickets? How would that be dealt with? I am loving this idea but any help with the couple questions would be great!

BlessedWifeMommy said:
So I've been thinking about proposing more school fundraisers. I have some questions, floating in my mind...

From a parents/buyer's point of view. When you are asked to participate in a fundraiser, do you know how much the school makes? Does it matter to you?

I know from the school's point of view, they need to make the most they can, and even though people don't need useless items, they sell them so they can make money.

I'm thinking it is hard to compete with things like cookie dough where they can sell a tub for like $12 and make $6 profit.

Even with giving most/all commission and just counting it as marketing, the max donation I can give is 30%, which falls short compared with other fundraisers.

Thoughts?

Holly!

I am doing a fundraiser for Lexie's preschool right now. I told them about it, and asked if they would be interested. They were very happy to hear that they would be getting 30%. (Because I am donating my 15% comm.)
My oldest daughter is selling entertainment books for her kindergarten class and they are $30 and only $5 is going to the school for each one of those sold. So that is less than 15% per book. So I think you should definitely ask if they would be interested. I have 60 parents to hand out stuff to so what I did was get a few packages of mini catalogs, and I put my stamp on them, along with a sticker that I printed out the said "to view a full catalog or purchase online, please go to my website and enter Mesquite Enrichment for the organization". And then I have little mini flyers to stick in the catalogs that give a breakdown of what is being donated to the school. I will email them to you. I cant figure out how to upload stuff to here yet:):blushing:

jewls243 said:
Holly!

I am doing a fundraiser for Lexie's preschool right now. I told them about it, and asked if they would be interested. They were very happy to hear that they would be getting 30%. (Because I am donating my 15% comm.)
My oldest daughter is selling entertainment books for her kindergarten class and they are $30 and only $5 is going to the school for each one of those sold. So that is less than 15% per book. So I think you should definitely ask if they would be interested. I have 60 parents to hand out stuff to so what I did was get a few packages of mini catalogs, and I put my stamp on them, along with a sticker that I printed out the said "to view a full catalog or purchase online, please go to my website and enter Mesquite Enrichment for the organization". And then I have little mini flyers to stick in the catalogs that give a breakdown of what is being donated to the school. I will email them to you. I cant figure out how to upload stuff to here yet:):blushing:

I'd like to see your sticker and minflyer. I'm trying to set up with my kid's daycare/preschool for a fundraiser, and this could be a big help :)

BlessedWifeMommy said:

Thoughts?

My brother's football team did this and they only earned 1 dollar for every tub sold.

I am sending out letters to all of our schools letting them know about the Pampered Chef Fundraiser. I am going to give each kid a mini catalog and some orderforms and put a sticker on the front of the mini with info about my website. I will set up a fundraiser on the website with the schools name, but how will I know which kid gets the credit for web orders? I was thinking about asking the person ordering to add the childs first and last name to the end of there name.......hmmm I don't know. What would you do? Also, I know alot of fundraisers have prizes for kids as an incentive to sell. Do you leave this up to the school to take care of?

I usually do about $40,000 or more in sales each year just on fundraisers (I haven't done exact calculations). I have a couple fundraisers that are very large ($10,000+ in sales). Most of my fundraisers are for schools, but are not school-wide. They generally are for the music program, the fifth grade classes, etc. because our school district requires that all school-wide fundraisers bring in at least 50% for the school. I run these fundraisers as "glorified catalog shows". I make packets for each participant. Each packet includes one catalog, five order forms, and a letter explaining how the fundraiser works, what percent the school gets (15% from PC and 10% from me), and how to order online. I do frequently offer prizes for top seller, highest participation rate if several classes are participating, etc. I have tweaked the letter, the prize categories, and the prizes every time I have done the fundraisers to try to improve in a certain area. I definitely want to improve participation rate because I generally only get 25% to 30% participation. I am also trying to increase online ordering to save time when entering the show. Everyone who has done one of these fundraisers has come back for more. I have several organizations that look forward to this every year and they get better each year. Selling points of this fundraiser over some of the more traditional fundraisers: it's different, items are more useful, no up front cost for the organization, virtually no work for them (I prepare the packets, they hand them out, encourage participation and collect the packets when it's over, and I input everything). I even go help sort the products when they arrive because it is far worse to let them (missing items, broken items ,etc.). Most fundraisers put on by the school require a significant amount of work for the teachers (I know - I am a teacher too) and they are often left wondering why the did the fundraiser when all is said and done. I sell it as a "I do most of the work" fundraiser and it is a "no risk opportunity" for them - if it flops, they have lost nothing. I love fundraisers because they give me the opportunity to earn TPC (now Excellence Award) in sales and the top level of the trip while working another job, being a mother or two, and coordinating fundraising events for a charity organization. If you're worried about giving away a percentage of your commission, do the math. I do a $12,000 fundraiser and give away 10%; as a consultant, I would still get to keep $600. If I spent $100 on catalogs, I am still up $500 and it probably takes less than 5 hours of my time. Is it worth it?

mahji said:
I usually do about $40,000 or more in sales each year just on fundraisers (I haven't done exact calculations). I have a couple fundraisers that are very large ($10,000+ in sales). Most of my fundraisers are for schools, but are not school-wide. They generally are for the music program, the fifth grade classes, etc. because our school district requires that all school-wide fundraisers bring in at least 50% for the school. I run these fundraisers as "glorified catalog shows". I make packets for each participant. Each packet includes one catalog, five order forms, and a letter explaining how the fundraiser works, what percent the school gets (15% from PC and 10% from me), and how to order online. I do frequently offer prizes for top seller, highest participation rate if several classes are participating, etc. I have tweaked the letter, the prize categories, and the prizes every time I have done the fundraisers to try to improve in a certain area. I definitely want to improve participation rate because I generally only get 25% to 30% participation. I am also trying to increase online ordering to save time when entering the show. Everyone who has done one of these fundraisers has come back for more. I have several organizations that look forward to this every year and they get better each year. Selling points of this fundraiser over some of the more traditional fundraisers: it's different, items are more useful, no up front cost for the organization, virtually no work for them (I prepare the packets, they hand them out, encourage participation and collect the packets when it's over, and I input everything). I even go help sort the products when they arrive because it is far worse to let them (missing items, broken items ,etc.). Most fundraisers put on by the school require a significant amount of work for the teachers (I know - I am a teacher too) and they are often left wondering why the did the fundraiser when all is said and done. I sell it as a "I do most of the work" fundraiser and it is a "no risk opportunity" for them - if it flops, they have lost nothing. I love fundraisers because they give me the opportunity to earn TPC (now Excellence Award) in sales and the top level of the trip while working another job, being a mother or two, and coordinating fundraising events for a charity organization. If you're worried about giving away a percentage of your commission, do the math. I do a $12,000 fundraiser and give away 10%; as a consultant, I would still get to keep $600. If I spent $100 on catalogs, I am still up $500 and it probably takes less than 5 hours of my time. Is it worth it?

I have been looking for a letter exactly like this. Would you be willing to share your letter by posting it, please? I have a Large Band Boosters Fundraiser that I am just now assembling....and I would love to see the letter you use!

I would love to see it too..I have a fundraiser coming up for a preschool and would like to see the details..it seems people are looking into doing PC fundraisers more now

Here it is. This letter was written for a hockey team. I change a few things each time depending on the type of organization and what they are raising funds for. Also, please note that I have included Alaska shipping charges so that would need to be adjusted for your location. If you have tax, you would probably want to include that information in there as well.

Attachments

• generic_fundraiser_letter.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,158
For any fundraiser, what does everyone do about shipping? Do you charge each student once, or each order brought in? Also, tax... do you depend on each person to figure it out or do you send a total?

Hi. Question. I opened your letter. THANKS for posting. The part with " Shipping and handling charges are 15% plus $2.00 per order that is shipped to “Organizer”. I am not understanding this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I think maybe that's alaska's shipping costs?

I recently talked to a preschool director and she was thrilled with the percentage she would get but what really has her sold is that there is absolutely NO risk. She doesn't want to do cookie dough or greeting cards or any of the other popular items and she got burned big last year - they are still trying to sell the cookbooks they had made. I think TPC is one of the best fundraisers out there. Great products / good return / NO risk - what's not to like!
Marci

mahji said:

Hello!! I really want to try fundraising this year!! I'm curious as to what kind of prizes you offer and how much you spend on that. How many prizes do you offer for each fundraiser, up to 3? Do you have a flyer of prizes you can share with us as well?? Thanks so much!!

1. What types of products are available for school fundraisers?

At Pampered Chef, we offer a variety of kitchen products that are great for school fundraisers. This includes our popular cookware, bakeware, kitchen tools, and even cookbooks. We also have special products specifically designed for fundraising events.

2. How much money can a school expect to raise with a Pampered Chef fundraiser?

The amount of money raised through a Pampered Chef fundraiser will vary depending on the size of the school and the effort put into promoting the event. On average, schools can expect to earn 20-25% of the total sales.

3. Are there any upfront costs for hosting a Pampered Chef fundraiser?

No, there are no upfront costs for hosting a Pampered Chef fundraiser. We provide all the necessary materials and order forms for free. Schools only need to pay for the products that have been sold.

4. How long does it take to receive the products after the fundraiser ends?

Once the orders have been submitted and processed, it usually takes about 2-3 weeks for the products to be delivered to the school. However, this time frame may vary depending on the location of the school.

5. Can individuals outside of the school participate in the fundraiser?

Yes, individuals outside of the school can participate in the fundraiser by placing orders through the school's designated fundraising link. This is a great way to involve family and friends in supporting the school's fundraising efforts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• merego
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
merego
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • Caringpurelove