• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Save Money on Mailing: Extra Postage for Envelope Clasps

In summary, the Post Office is charging extra for envelopes with a clasp, and flat-rate envelopes are cheaper. If you're mailing a lot, using flat-rate envelopes is a good option.
photochef
I was at the Post Office the other day, actually mailing out some photos, but my manilla envelope had a clasp on it and the teller told me that any envelope now that has a clasp is an extra

$0.17

to mail... that will add up very quickly.

Use the flat rate envelopes.
They are $4.80 for as much as you can stuff in there.

Did she say why they are charging extra for the clasp? I understand that if it weighs more then the cost would be higher, but why just charge because of the clasp?

That is silly - I usually tape over the clasp so it doesn't come undone or catch or scratch anyone

Ugh. Next time I buy envelopes I'll make sure I buy the non-clasp ones.And flat-rate is cool, Chozen, if you're sending that much. I don't always.

One of the good things with flat rate is the convenience also. You can print the postage at home, attach it to the envelope, and stick it in the mailbox. No need to go in the post office. A lot of times for me, this is worth paying the extra $. If I am sending a host packet, this is the way I always do it. The flat rate includes delivery confirmation, so that way you know that they got it.

Sorry - was that a hijack? didn't mean to.

I prefer flat rate too - Although I am not sure about printing the postage at home - do you have to have specia labels or something

Nope. Just go to usps.com and register. You can create an address book, which comes in handy for repeat customers. I'm always sending care packages to my DS, and I love being able to do everything online. Just a note: You can arrange free home pickup, which is great. However, if you're dropping it off at a post office, and it weighs more than 1 pound, you're going to want to make sure a postal employee sees you. I'm told you don't have to wait in line, just get someone's attention and leave it on the counter.

raebates said:
Nope. Just go to usps.com and register. You can create an address book, which comes in handy for repeat customers. I'm always sending care packages to my DS, and I love being able to do everything online.

Just a note: You can arrange free home pickup, which is great. However, if you're dropping it off at a post office, and it weighs more than 1 pound, you're going to want to make sure a postal employee sees you. I'm told you don't have to wait in line, just get someone's attention and leave it on the counter.

Rae~

I was just going to mention this! If it's + one pound, you can't just drop it in a mail box, either...unless your carrier knows you and is OK with it. When we lived in a larger town, I had to take my host packets in (kitchen shows my packets are less than one pound...catty shows have more catties so it's more...) When I would try to mail them from my house, they would always get returned to me.

Now that we live in a smaller town, my carrier knows me and will put the metered postage on for me so it will go through.

Also, now that our catalogs are bigger they weigh just a tad more. I usually send 3 or 4 catalogs with my host packets and it was always cheaper for me to send them First Class. Now that same packet weighs more than a pound so it's cheaper to use the flat-rate envelope. So save your manilla envelopes and get a stack of the flat-rate ones from the USPS.

So how do you get the postage stamp (sticker) to stay on when printing from online? Just glue it on or do you need a special size label? :confused:

If its a pound or more then why do you have to take to PO? To have it weighted?

Kelly V.

Are you saying that I can print out postage for invites right here and not have to continue buying stamps??? :confused:

check out stamps.com as well. I just signed up at the urging of my Director. free 4 week trial and free stuff if you stay on. 14.99 a month

KellyRedHead said:
So how do you get the postage stamp (sticker) to stay on when printing from online? Just glue it on or do you need a special size label? :confused:

If its a pound or more then why do you have to take to PO? To have it weighted?

Clear packing tape, or buy labels.

If it's over a pound, it's per post-9/11 regulations - to make sure you aren't sending something nasty.

chefkristin said:
Are you saying that I can print out postage for invites right here and not have to continue buying stamps??? :confused:

Shipping labels can be done from your computer but not stamps.

Unless you sign up for stamps.com - but you have to send a lot of stamps to make it pay - and I don't know if it'll print postcard stamps.

jenniferp417 said:
Shipping labels can be done from your computer but not stamps.

Unless you sign up for stamps.com - but you have to send a lot of stamps to make it pay - and I don't know if it'll print postcard stamps.
Shipping Labels? So is this just the address? Or does it have the flat rate postage on it too? I am so clueless. :eek:

You can print labels to ship packages. Address AND postage. All from usps.com

chefkristin said:
Shipping Labels? So is this just the address? Or does it have the flat rate postage on it too? I am so clueless. :eek:

I do this through my Paypal account and have used USPS. com.
It works like this....weigh your item....I have a small postage scale at home. Put in all the info, weight, zip code, address, name. It prints out a shipping label with the metered postage on it. It prints this out on a regular sheet of paper from your printer. You then cut it out on the dashed lines and tape it onto your package. Just don't tape over the metered bar code area. Or you could use a glue stick. I mail tons of stuff thru ebay this way. Very convenient and it's a secure web site.

Instead of throwing out all those envelopes with clasps just rip the clasp out. That is what I do. Then I lick the envelope and tape it with packing tape. Then there is no clasp to cost extra. Be careful not to cut yourself.

Thanks everyone, I might have to get a postage scale!

I order all of my stamps off of USPS.com... You can also order pre-paid flat rate envelopes that already have the postage on them! I think it's either free or maybe $1 shipping....way worth it!

You can order stamps and supplies through usps.com, but shipping labels are for priority or express mail only. I use packing tape to affix my labels. Just be sure that you don't tape over the bar code. It makes it difficult for some of the machine readers.I think you're fine with a package over a pound in your mailbox if you do the extra step of arranging a pickup. Otherwise, the regulations won't allow your carrier to take care of it.

Related to Save Money on Mailing: Extra Postage for Envelope Clasps

1. What is the purpose of extra postage for clasps?

Extra postage for clasps is used for additional weight or thickness of mailings that have clasps, string, buttons, or similar closure devices. These items require special handling by postal workers, which may result in an additional charge.

2. How do I know if my mailing requires extra postage for clasps?

If your mailing has clasps, string, buttons, or similar closure devices, it is recommended to bring it to your local post office for evaluation. They will determine if extra postage is needed based on the weight and thickness of your mailing.

3. Can I use regular stamps for mailings with clasps?

Regular stamps may not be enough to cover the cost of extra postage for clasps. It is best to consult with your local post office to determine the correct amount of postage needed for your specific mailing.

4. Are there any other options for securing mailings besides clasps?

Yes, there are other options such as tape, glue, or tucking in the flaps of envelopes that do not require extra postage. These methods may also help to avoid potential damage to your mailing during handling and delivery.

5. Is there a limit to the number of clasps I can use on a mailing without incurring extra postage?

There is no set limit for the number of clasps allowed on a mailing without extra postage. However, the weight and thickness of your mailing will ultimately determine if additional postage is needed. It is best to consult with your local post office for guidance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mhrivera
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
mhrivera
  • babywings76
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
myinnerchef
  • esavvymom