• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Catalog Postage Cost: Save Money on Postage with These Tips and Tricks

In summary, the cost of mailing a 1-catalog packet with the new postage increase is $1.51 with 4 stamps.
heat123
Silver Member
Just wondering if anyone has sent out 1 catalog with the new postage increase? I just paid $3.15 for 1 catalog and two sheets of paper (specials) inside the white Merrill envilope, to a past host. I went to a postal annex but it's closer than the actual Post office, so I am at least saving on gas I think??! :mad: :yuck:

That seems like a lot for 1 catalog. My whole host package is $4.80. It has been a long time since I sent just 1 catalog but I think before the postage increase it was only $1.80-2.00.

I send out my host packets (3 catalogs, 3 ordre forms, show planner, show benefits, specials and info on the biz) and it's like $1.98. Send it Bound Printed Matter (just say it's catalogs) when you go to the post office. Plus you still get to write off the mileage to go there.

Chefstover2 said:
Send it Bound Printed Matter (just say it's catalogs) when you go to the post office.
Did you know that you are committing postal fraud when you do that?I sent 3 catalogs in an envelope on Friday and it was $2.70. You pay extra at those postal annexes.

In order for something to be sent Bound Printed Matter, everything in the envelope must be bound together, which means no loose sheets or sticky notes. There's also one class of mail (I forget if it's Bound Printed Matter or Media Mail) that cannot include sales literature of any kind, which means you can't use it for catalogs.

My post master told me they no longer do bound printed matter. But before the change he would let me send catalogs as bound printed matter. Most of the time I needed to get the packet to them right away so I just sent it first class.

wadesgirl said:
That seems like a lot for 1 catalog. My whole host package is $4.80. It has been a long time since I sent just 1 catalog but I think before the postage increase it was only $1.80-2.00.
Yes, I use the flat rate stamps for host packs too but for 1 catalog I didn't want to use that particular stamp.

I realize the postal annex places are more expensive but the convenience of location vs cost of the real post office is what I was just wanting to find out the cost of 1 catty sent through the Post office?:confused:

Its Media Mail that can not have any ads, flyers, etc. I encountered that at the post office once. I was talking with someone and they happened to ask the question (they were trying to mail magazines). Anything that has something for sale, etc. in it can not be media mail.

chefann said:
In order for something to be sent Bound Printed Matter, everything in the envelope must be bound together, which means no loose sheets or sticky notes. There's also one class of mail (I forget if it's Bound Printed Matter or Media Mail) that cannot include sales literature of any kind, which means you can't use it for catalogs.

I was told by my hospitality director that as long as there are no individualized things in there (i.e., handwriting), it still qualified for bound printed matter. And the people at the post office ask me if it's catalogs, I say yes, and it qualifies. So I don't feel I'm committing fraud. I send it all in the Merrill envelope and write their show info on that and then go over the packet with the host over the phone and they can mark it up as they like.

Just bumping.... the topic kind of got sidetracked! Anyone know how much the cost of 1 catty is for mailing with the new postage increase??? TIA!

Just in case anyone else wondered what the cost of 1 catty in envelope was too, it was $1.51 or 4 stamps he said. Hope that helps anyone else wanting to know! :)

heat123 said:
Just in case anyone else wondered what the cost of 1 catty in envelope was too, it was $1.51 or 4 stamps he said. Hope that helps anyone else wanting to know! :)

I just mailed one tonight and it was 4 stamps...good thing I don't have to mail many packets that are not host packs.

I mailed one today. Just a catalog in a 9 x 13" envelope and it was $1.51.

A public service announcement for you: If you put 4 first-class stamps on that envelope, you're overpaying by 17 cents. You can purchase other stamps at the post office to total the actual amount. Large envelopes (what we put a catalog in) start at 83 cents (one ounce). Additional ounces are 17 cents each, which is the same additional ounce rate as smaller envelopes. You can purchase 83 cent and 17 cent stamps from the PO and have them on hand.

Actually I was going to use 3 stamps plus an old .26c postcard stamp= $1.52 the next time I mail out 1 catalog! Thanks for the info Ann, good to know when my .26centers run out!

Definitely cheaper than the $3.15 I paid at the postal annex place the first time!

Ann, do you know off the top of your head what a catalog weighs?

um... according to my postal scale, 3.9 oz, without an envelope, just a naked catalog (well, with my labels on it).

chefann said:
um... according to my postal scale, 3.9 oz, without an envelope, just a naked catalog (well, with my labels on it).
Thank you! Is it worth it to have your own postal scale? (I'm just into picking your brain apparently...lol)

Depends how much mailing you do. I mail stuff frequently for my online store, and I need to know the weight for that (I pay the postage through PayPal), so I use mine fairly frequently. If you always mail the same things (1 catalog in an envelope with 1 flyer, for example), you can weigh it at the PO and keep the info at home. My scale was probably $15 or less at an office supply store, and I've had it for several years. I also use it in the kitchen when I need to measure something by weight.

1. How much does it cost to send out a Pampered Chef catalog?

The cost of sending out a Pampered Chef catalog varies depending on the weight and size of the catalog, as well as the distance it needs to be shipped. On average, it can cost anywhere from $2 to $5 per catalog.

2. Can I save money on postage when sending out catalogs?

Yes, there are several ways to save money on postage when sending out Pampered Chef catalogs. These include using bulk mailing services, utilizing special postage rates for non-profit organizations, and taking advantage of presorted mail discounts.

3. What is bulk mailing and how does it save money on postage?

Bulk mailing is a service offered by the United States Postal Service (USPS) that allows businesses to send large quantities of mail at discounted rates. By using bulk mailing, you can save up to 40% on postage costs compared to sending individual pieces of mail.

4. Are there any restrictions on using bulk mailing for Pampered Chef catalogs?

Yes, there are a few restrictions when using bulk mailing for Pampered Chef catalogs. These include a minimum requirement of 200 pieces of mail, all pieces must be identical in size and weight, and the mail must be sorted and labeled according to USPS guidelines.

5. Can I use my own postage stamps when sending out Pampered Chef catalogs?

While you can use your own postage stamps to send out catalogs, it is not the most cost-effective option. Using bulk mailing or presorted mail services can save you money on postage and ensure that your catalogs reach their recipients in a timely manner.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• susanr613
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
jwpamp
  • heat123
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
chefann
  • C. Schapker