• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cheaper Postage Options Anyone?

In summary, the conversation is about different methods of mailing host packets. Some people use media mail or prepaid envelopes to save money, while others use flat rate envelopes for convenience and timely delivery. The contents of a standard host packet are discussed, including show planners, host letters, opportunity flyers, and order forms. Some people also include catalogs and other materials in their packets. The topic of printing postage is also brought up, with some people using services like stamps.com and others opting for the cheapest mailing option.
heat123
Silver Member
Well I just sent out 4 host pckts. and it cost $28!:eek: Anyone else use a cheaper system or option when mailing stuff? I heard somewhere you could order pre-paid envelopes which would have saved me $8 I think??

Thanks for tips!

Good grief! What on earth did you put in them?! Mine always cost less than $4.00 to mail (First Class mail - you can use media mail if it's only catalogs which is really cheap).

My host packets have the following in them:
Show Planner
Host Letter
Opportunity flyer
4 Outside Order Forms

that's pretty much it for a standard Host Packet.

I did mail my girlfriend 6 catalogs today and that only cost $2.07 Media Mail.

I use the Flat Rate, Priority Mail envelope. You stuff in 5 catalogs, and about 10 order forms, along with the Host Instructions, and a couple of other sheets with recipes. The cost here in the U.S. is $4.05. If I know that a person is going to host, while still at a party, I give them 3 catalogs to get started, and five order forms in a pocket folder with my business card, and the Show Time brochure. Otherwise, you'd want to include one of them in your Priority Mail packet. The cost of $7 each is high, and would make me think you are sending more catalogs. Remember, anyone with a computer can go on-line and see our Catalog, so we can save having to send so many to the hostess.

I have done media mail with another post office- annex but this one was really strick and said only "books" were allowed through media mail???

I guess I should use the other store to get the media pricing!

BTW, I add the same things except I have 4 cattys as well to them.

Has anyone used their own computers to print out mailing stickers? Just wondering if that's cheaper too?

Well, catalogs are "books" How do you think that mail order stuff gets to you? You just can't send any correspondence in Media Mail. You can send order forms, but that's about it. No host letter, no flyers, nothing else.

I'm with Rita, I try and give them a the show if I can or drop by their house if they live near me (also let's me check-out my set-up).

What do you mean by mailing stickers? I do print my address label on the computer.

I believe Heather is referring to printed postage (like stamps.com). Most of those services charge either standard postage, or if they do offer a discount, charge a monthly fee for the service. So it ends up a wash.I use Priority flat rate envelopes for my host packs. I feel confident that they'll be delivered in a timely manner. And I put a lot of stuff in my packs: 4 catalogs, 4 monthly flyers, 5 outside order forms, an envelope (6x9) for collecting outside orders/payment, 2 sets of the carbonless address labels (from supply order) with an envelope for returning them to me and a 1 page memory-jogger, show planner, 10 steps to a successful show flyer and a recruiting brochure. As long as you can fit it into the flat rate envelope and close it without making any modifications, it's just $4.05.

I typicall give hostess packets at the show, but sometimes that doesn't happen for whatever reason. My husband mailed one for me today and it was only 3.50. I put 2 catalogs, a couple of order forms and specials flyers in a folder and put it in the envelope. Whenever i mail stuff, i tell them give it to me the cheapest way possible.

chefann said:
I believe Heather is referring to printed postage (like stamps.com). Most of those services charge either standard postage, or if they do offer a discount, charge a monthly fee for the service. So it ends up a wash.

I use Priority flat rate envelopes for my host packs. I feel confident that they'll be delivered in a timely manner. And I put a lot of stuff in my packs: 4 catalogs, 4 monthly flyers, 5 outside order forms, an envelope (6x9) for collecting outside orders/payment, 2 sets of the carbonless address labels (from supply order) with an envelope for returning them to me and a 1 page memory-jogger, show planner, 10 steps to a successful show flyer and a recruiting brochure. As long as you can fit it into the flat rate envelope and close it without making any modifications, it's just $4.05.

Yes that's what I meant Anne, thanks for the info. I think I will buy those prepaid flat rate envelopes from now on!

heat123 said:
Yes that's what I meant Anne, thanks for the info. I think I will buy those prepaid flat rate envelopes from now on!

You can get the flat rate envelopes prepaid (at the PO or online at www.usps.com) or with no postage on them. I usually get the free ones at the PO. Then I don't worry about losing them. :)

I use the free cardboard priority flat rate envelopes. You can put as much in as possible as long as it is sealed with their strip and not taped.
I send:
8 catalogs,
15 OOF
host special
kitchen show planner
recipes
a seasons best
opportunity brochure
Whatever "promo" flyer I am oddering (batter bowl challenge tic tac toe etc)
It is like $4.20 or something to send. When I go to the post office I ask for a couple and he always sends me home with a dozen or two.
THEY HAVE TO BE HANDED TO A PERSON AT THE POST OFFICE (NOT THE BLUE BOX) IF THEY WEIGH OVER 1 # THIS IS SINCE 9/11.
Teresa

Teresa Lynn said:
THEY HAVE TO BE HANDED TO A PERSON AT THE POST OFFICE (NOT THE BLUE BOX) IF THEY WEIGH OVER 1 # THIS IS SINCE 9/11.
Teresa

Thanks for mentioning this. I was just thinking about buying some $4.05 stamps so I wouldn't have to go into the post office every time I wanted to mail a host packet. Now I won't bother if I have to take it in anyway!

I also just use the priority mail flat rate envelopes the PO gives free. It costs $4.05 to mail. I stuff it pretty good b/c I always put my folder of stuff in there like I would if I gave it at the show. I almost always can give one at the show, or I drop it off at their house so I can see where they live so I don't get lost the day of the show! If they aren't home, I put the host packet in a large clear bag from Nancy's. The only time I mail them is if they live far away, or for a catalog show (but those I use regular envelopes & it's usually cheaper).

If you make friends with the cute guy at the post office, he'll let you send it Media Mail ($2.07) or Bound Printed Matter (around the same, depending on zip code going to). Also, I buy stamps and them stick them in a mailbox which makes it easier to get away with.

Heather, Did you mail these from the post office or a PAK 'N MAIL or similar mailing place? The mailing places do charge more. When they told me the total I would have asked for them back!! OUCH!!

You can order the flat rate envelopes online at www.usps.com. Create an account there. Then you can pay for and print postage online through the site as well. It's $4.05 for the flat rate envelopes and you get FREE delivery confirmation when you do it online also. THEN you can request FREE carrier pick up online as well so you DON'T have to hand it to a person.

I've always left my host packets in my box for my carrier to pick up and I've put them in the bin at the PO (not handing them to a person) and they've always made it through.

Work smarter, not harder ladies and gents!

Teresa Lynn said:
Heather, Did you mail these from the post office or a PAK 'N MAIL or similar mailing place? The mailing places do charge more. When they told me the total I would have asked for them back!! OUCH!!

Yes, it was actualy at the UPS store as I was dropping off a christmas package return. :( Guess I learned not to go there anymore! And get the flat rate instead.

I do the $4.05 rate too, but I just use those tan office envelopes taped shut. I would love some prepaid ones that I could just drop in the boxes too!! I know you aren't supposed to put larger things in the boxes, but I always do and I have never had a problem with things not making it!

Paige Dixon said:
If you make friends with the cute guy at the post office, he'll let you send it Media Mail ($2.07) or Bound Printed Matter (around the same, depending on zip code going to). Also, I buy stamps and them stick them in a mailbox which makes it easier to get away with.

Sorry....no cute guy here:D I'm with the others; I use the priority $4.05.

Bound Printed Matter and Media Mail will not necessarily get to the destination in a timely manner. The PO has up to 2 weeks to get them on their way, depending on space available, because they're essentially Third Class mail. It's worth the extra 2 bucks to get it there in 2 days. Also, the regulations on Bound Printed Matter indicate that everything in the package must be "permanently bound" with stitching, spiral binding, heavy-duty staples, etc. There can be no loose pages or ring binders. If the Postmaster finds out that you're including such items, you can be fined.

Our post office must follow the guidelines very carefully, because after 9/11 when I've dropped it in the box it has come back with a bright green sticker saying it must be handed to a postal employee. The sticker peels off and you don't lose your postage.
Teresa

chefann said:
Bound Printed Matter and Media Mail will not necessarily get to the destination in a timely manner. The PO has up to 2 weeks to get them on their way, depending on space available, because they're essentially Third Class mail. It's worth the extra 2 bucks to get it there in 2 days. Also, the regulations on Bound Printed Matter indicate that everything in the package must be "permanently bound" with stitching, spiral binding, heavy-duty staples, etc. There can be no loose pages or ring binders. If the Postmaster finds out that you're including such items, you can be fined.

I guess I won't be trying Media mail at the other place either!:eek: Plus 2 weeks is way too long!

Teresa Lynn said:
Our post office must follow the guidelines very carefully, because after 9/11 when I've dropped it in the box it has come back with a bright green sticker saying it must be handed to a postal employee. The sticker peels off and you don't lose your postage.
Teresa
Yikes Teresa!! I bet it is just one tight a$$ running the whole show, too....

Bound Printed MatterI use bound printed matter at my post office! I mail 6 catalogs in one large envelope for $1.89. I mail another envelope with a note tellling my host to expect catalogs in another envelope and the order forms, host letter etc. My hosts usually get both envelopes the same day or one day apart. I do mail my packets at least 4 weeks in advance, so it doesn't matter if it takes a little longer.

I do not give out packets at my shows as I am always booking so far ahead, like now I am booking for the end of March and April. I give them an envelope with the guest list and special (if known) at the show where they book. I then have them pass the guest list around at the show and give a talk about "if you purchased everything you wanted tonight then you won't need to put your name on this guest list, but if you still have many items on your wish list and want to try some new recipes in ______ then you will want to add your information to this guest list for _______.":D Most of my hosts leave with 8-15 names that night, some which would not have been on their guest lists otherwise!

Teresa Lynn said:
Teresa

My post office told me this too. I had bought some prepaid priority envelopes, and they said to watch the weight, because if it's more than 1 pound they have to look inside. Gotta make sure we're not sending bombs or anything!

The post office is a good place to get some business! We have car signs for PC and my husband's roofing business. He gets quite a few jobs going to the PO and also sees people he knows. Chat with the person in line with you also to get some biz about being how long the line is, etc, and having your own biz and being able to go when you want.

Ann

Ok, kinda confused sorry.... I have a pamphlet from USPS to order by mail-phone it lists "pre-paid" flat rate stamp for $20.25 qty of 5. So if I ordered these, can I still use the regular 10x13 gold envelopes I bought from staples? Or do I need to go to the PO and get the FREE envelopes to go with the stamps I am paying for??
thanks for for the info to those of you who do this!

I use the regular gold office sized envelopes taped shut and get the $4.05 rate, but it seems that my PO is a little more lienient than others, so I would check first just to be safe!!

Why spend money on envelopes when you can get them from the post office for free???

The $4.05 is a FLAT RATE for whatever you fit in their envelope, no matter how heavy. If you use your own, you might put in too little or too much--you won't know unless you weigh it.

I'd use the USPS envelopes.

Unless you're using the official "Priority Flat Rate" envelope, the $4.05 stamp will only be good up to 1 pound. That's why I use the flat rate envelopes - I can stuff them and it's still good.My PO has one of the Automated Postage Centers in it. It's a machine that looks like an ATM with a scale. It's on 24/7, and there's a special deposit bin for the envelopes/packages. I've never had a problem purchasing postage for a flar-rate envelope weighing over a pound and depositing it in the special bin. But I have had things returned for being overweight (gee, kind of like me!) when I put them into the Priority deposit box that's outside the building (the drive-by kind).

1. What are the different postage options available for Pampered Chef customers?

There are three main postage options for our customers: standard shipping, expedited shipping, and express shipping.

2. How much does each postage option cost?

The cost varies depending on the weight and destination of the package. Our website will calculate the exact cost at checkout.

3. Can I track my package with cheaper postage options?

Yes, all postage options come with tracking so you can keep an eye on your package's progress.

4. How long does it take for packages to arrive with cheaper postage options?

Standard shipping typically takes 3-5 business days, expedited shipping takes 2-3 business days, and express shipping takes 1-2 business days.

5. Are there any restrictions on what can be shipped with cheaper postage options?

There are some restrictions on certain items that cannot be shipped with cheaper postage options, such as hazardous materials or oversized items. Our website will notify you if any restrictions apply to your order.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kdangel518
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
taterbug
  • pampered2007
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ChefBevShu
  • esavvymom