• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Right Words to Use on Friends to Get Them to Pay First

In summary, if someone asks you to order something for them, and they don't have the money to pay you up front, you can politely say that you need payment before you can submit the order.
babywings76
Gold Member
How do you tactfully ask friends or family to pay first? I keep getting people wanting me to get them things. They tell me on the fly or in a little message on FB. "Can you order me 5 of those pumpkin dishes and let me know when they arrive?"

Then another friend is doing a November catalog show. She wants me to order her one and then she'll add the payment to her party. Aggh!

It's a nice problem to have, I do appreciate the business. But I wish I knew how to politely say, "I'll happily order you one. Would you mind paying by debit or credit card though? I need to pay for it when I submit the order."
:confused::confused:

I just tell everyone, including family & friends, that I can not submit a show/order without payment first. Sounds like it is a Pampered Chef requirement instead of mine!

Yep... I let them know that it comes out of my account and I have to have all money before I submit an order. People are ok with it.. they just don't realize how it works. They are used to companies like Avon that you can pay when it comes in.

What if you used a Paypal account? I have one set up because of EBay purchases, but when my stepson was in Iraq he would send money to my Paypal account so that I could send him back cash (there were no ATMs where he was). If the people who want you to order stuff like that sent the money to your Paypal account, you could transfer it to your checking account, then submit the order to PC.

I don't even give them an option. I would just tell them the total and let them know they can pay your by check or debit/credit card.

I do the same as some others. I make it like I need the payment upfront. If they persist I tell them, "I would love to be able to float this for you, but with my current financial situation, I just don't have the extra cash to do it." Most are pretty aware that my DH is out of work and I work PT, so they wouldn't push it.

wadesgirl said:
I don't even give them an option. I would just tell them the total and let them know they can pay your by check or debit/credit card.

I'd go with this, too. If you give them a total, and ask them whether they'd like to pay by check or with a card, you're not saying "Give me the money" in so many words, but you're still indicating you need payment.

It's like kids. You don't ask them if they want to wear gloves. You ask if they want to wear the blue ones or the red ones. :)

I agree. I just tell them I can't place the order until I have the payment, because Pampered Chef automatically deducts it from my account.

Yup, I give the total and say, "I can get that submitted for you as soon as I have your payment! You can (mail, give, whatever) me a check or I'll call you for your card number!"

You're not being rude by asking for payment. They wouldn't go to a store and expect to receive the merchandise and pay later. All you need to do is do what everyone else has suggested to you. No one will think you're being horrible.

babywings76 said:
How do you tactfully ask friends or family to pay first? I keep getting people wanting me to get them things. They tell me on the fly or in a little message on FB. "Can you order me 5 of those pumpkin dishes and let me know when they arrive?"

Then another friend is doing a November catalog show. She wants me to order her one and then she'll add the payment to her party. Aggh!

It's a nice problem to have, I do appreciate the business. But I wish I knew how to politely say, "I'll happily order you one. Would you mind paying by debit or credit card though? I need to pay for it when I submit the order."
:confused::confused:

I'd respond to a FB message with a PM giving the total & asking if they wanted to call with a credit card number. If they question it, just let them know that you have to submit the payment with the order. ;)

Explain to your catalog friend that Corporate will put the show on hold & question the extra charge on the November show when there's not a purchase to match the charge. And that since you have to submit payment at the time of the order, she'll need to submit two separate payments so that you are not having to pay upfront and wait for reimbursement. $5 isn't a lot, but once you start that kind of practice it can grow and GROW and GROW to larger & larger amounts. So it's best to just collect payment at the beginning and not start that practice. ;) It also alleviates you having to keep up with who owes what! ;)

I just went ahead and called my friend who messaged me on FB. I asked her if she had a bank or credit card that she'd like to use so I could go ahead and get her order submitted. She was thankful that she could since it's easier and payment is over and done with. :DMy other friend who is doing the catty show figured out a solution. She has another friend who wants one, so they are going to combine their orders and place it on my website.

Amanda, I like the words you used in the end--"Do you have a debit or credit card so I can get the order submitted?" makes it clear you have to submit payment with the order. I also think everyone is right, people just aren't thinking when they ask you to place the order, just remind them you have to submit their payment at the same time. I wouldn't say payment, I'd say "your payment."Thanks for bringing this up, I'm already realizing I'll have questions like this. Like my aunt who wanted a DCB without a show, and pointed out the huge order she placed when I hosted a party 4 years ago (lol).(She is a dear, and I did find a host who didn't want the DCB, so Aunt E's is on it's way...)

1. How can I convince my friends to pay for their Pampered Chef orders first?

One effective way to encourage your friends to pay first is by emphasizing the importance of timely payments for ensuring a smooth ordering process. You can also mention the company's policy of requiring payment before placing an order.

2. What should I say to my friends to make them understand the importance of paying first?

It's important to communicate the benefits of paying first, such as securing their desired products and avoiding delays in delivery. You can also mention the convenience of online payment options and the ease of keeping track of their order.

3. How can I politely remind my friends to pay for their orders first?

You can send a friendly reminder via text or email, thanking them for their order and kindly asking them to make their payment before the order deadline. You can also offer to assist with any payment inquiries or issues they may have.

4. Can I offer my friends a discount or incentive to pay for their orders first?

While it's not recommended to offer discounts or incentives for timely payments, you can remind your friends of any current promotions or specials that they may miss out on if they don't pay first.

5. How can I handle a friend who consistently forgets to pay for their orders first?

If a friend consistently forgets to pay first, it's important to have a direct and respectful conversation with them. Explain the impact it has on your business and suggest setting up a reminder system for future orders. You can also offer to set up a payment plan if needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
scottcooks
Replies
Views
deanna_g
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies