• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rat "Pooped" in Stoneware While Nesting

In summary, a past guest reached out for suggestions on how to clean her square deep dish baker that was infested with rat urine and feces. Due to health concerns, it was advised to discard the pan and buy a new one or offer a discount for a catalog show. Using the self-cleaning function on the oven or dishwasher without soap may be an option, but it is not recommended by HO and may not fully sanitize the pan. Some responses were shocked and disgusted at the thought of using the pan again.
jrstephens
I got this email from a past guest today. Any suggestions for me? I told her baking soda paste and soak it in vinegar and water. Personally, I would buy another one!

"I have a very “unusual” question. I have one of the square deep dish bakers I’ve had for several years, so it is already quite seasoned. My problem with it is that a rat got into my oven where I was storing it in the storage drawer beneath my built-in oven/stove. He chose that particular pan to build his nest in. Because of that, there was a lot of urine and “poo” (for lack of a better word) in the pan. The smell is horrible! Since I can’t put soap on the material, what can I clean it with??? I don’t want to throw the pan away, but I also cannot risk using it again without being cleaned for health reasons. Surely you understand my dilemma. Any suggestions?"

This is NOT a joke!! Although it is FUNNY!!!:D

If it had "rat urine" in it...I don't think all the baking soda in the world would make it safe to use. I'd suggest buying a new stone. Have her pull together a catalog show for Feb and get one at 60% off!

jrstephens said:
I got this email from a past guest today. Any suggestions for me? I told her baking soda paste and soak it in vinegar and water. Personally, I would buy another one!

"I have a very “unusual” question. I have one of the square deep dish bakers I’ve had for several years, so it is already quite seasoned. My problem with it is that a rat got into my oven where I was storing it in the storage drawer beneath my built-in oven/stove. He chose that particular pan to build his nest in. Because of that, there was a lot of urine and “poo” (for lack of a better word) in the pan. The smell is horrible! Since I can’t put soap on the material, what can I clean it with??? I don’t want to throw the pan away, but I also cannot risk using it again without being cleaned for health reasons. Surely you understand my dilemma. Any suggestions?"

This is NOT a joke!! Although it is FUNNY!!!:D

Yah, like that happens every day! THROW IT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!! Offer her 10% off a new one or like mentioned above, have her throw a quick catty show together.

If she has a dishwasher she could put it in there with no soap. Mine sanitizes, so that would be okay. It's not recommended by HO because it could break, but if she wouldn't use it anyway, it doesn't hurt to try. I think I'd buy a new one if I was her.

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: OH MY GOODNESS! It's not under the 3 yr warranty is it? Is this covered? I would definitely encorage the catalog show or give her a discount if you are so inclined. I would NOT suggest using it. WHY risk it?? It scares me she's even considering it. Of course, I'm probably obsessive about throwing out anything even questionable. It's just not worth it.

I was eating cupcakes that were made in a stone... now I'm not hungry anymore.

oven---self cleaning I hear it works---NOT HO approved---

I was wondering how the self cleaning thing works on stones that have a glaze. Anyone know if it makes a difference?

Yikes...I say give it back to the rat and buy a new one. At least he/she could still use it!!! Might discourage the vermin from using a different stone... :)

I would most definitely discard the stone without a second thought. Rats are filthy and carry many diseases. I agree offer her a discount. Just the thought is revolting.
Cathy

I can't believe that she is even thinking of using it again! YUCK!!:yuck: If you decide to give her a discount, tell her there is not a way that you could tell her to clean it and feel good that it would be completely sanitized.

sfdavis918 said:
I can't believe that she is even thinking of using it again! YUCK!!:yuck: If you decide to give her a discount, tell her there is not a way that you could tell her to clean it and feel good that it would be completely sanitized.

Good idea! I agree

And I thought I heard it all......I would tell her to buy another one!! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

First off - NEVER EVER eat anything this woman bakes! YUCK

Secondly - tell her to throw it away and get a new one.

pamperedlinda said:
First off - NEVER EVER eat anything this woman bakes! YUCK

Secondly - tell her to throw it away and get a new one.

Thanks for the laugh this early in the morning!:D

Yes, I agree thanks for the laugh and the EEEWWW factor.

You'd have to be a moron not to throw it out. She prob just wants something for free.

I'd say have her pull together a catalog show. She can get the two items at 60% off, and call it "Replacing my stone with the Rat Secretions On it Catalog Show"

rat urine and poo??? seriously lady through it away and start over!

I agree with throwing it away but if she insists on keeping it I don't see what harm there is in using soap on it...the antibacterial, disinfecting kind... I mean, rat poop vs. soap... neither are great for your stone so what could it hurt? I wouldn't eat off of it but if she is thinking it would be fine if she cleaned it good enough (my SIL puts soap on hers every time - she can't help herself!)

That is just gross - I wouldn't even THINK about sharing this story if it happened to me.... just toss it and buy a new one! :yuck:

:eek: What is she thinking!!!

I guess she didn't use it all that much if the critter had time to build a nest and set up housekeeping (or lack there of).

EWWWW!!! :yuck: :yuck: Gross, yuck, nasty and now I don't want my bagel for breakfast. I don't care what it would cost there is no question it would be in the garbage!!!!

On another note, I heard the self cleaning thing too!!! Does it work? I thought you weren't supposed to leave your oven racks in the oven when self cleaning?:confused:

On the "self oven cleaning" suggestions. I had a past guest that forgot her stone was in the oven when she set it to self clean and the stoone caught on fire! She walked in the kitchen and saw a circle of fire in her oven. It did survive including the wire rack and she still uses it. Says not a thing will stick to it now!:D

I will email this past guest back tonight and tell her there is not for sure sanitary way to clean it and will suggest a catalog show. I am not inclined to offer a discount - that is just something I personally do not do.

There is no way I would use it again!

I'm still trying to figure out if the rat was a pet or just decided to move in. :confused: I definitely would not eat anything she cooked!:yuck: I can't believe that not only is she thinking about cleaning & keeping the stone but actually told someone that story. :eek: How gross!

stacywhitlow said:
I'm still trying to figure out if the rat was a pet or just decided to move in. :confused: I definitely would not eat anything she cooked!:yuck: I can't believe that not only is she thinking about cleaning & keeping the stone but actually told someone that story. :eek: How gross!

It was not a pet. She apparently had her stones stored in a drawer that was not used a lot and the rat decided to nest in that drawer.

If I did not remember this guest, I would have thought it was a joke. She is a very serious person, so, I know she is for real.

I'm just trying to wrap my mind about actually having a rat in the house....:eek: :yuck: :yuck:

I know mice happen....but rats? The thought makes me shudder.

I'm not sure what blows my mind more....
that she had a RAT living in her home or that she is wanting to re-use that pan. Bizarre.
I would have thrown it right out and called the exterminator!

I'm thinking she is one who doesn't really know the difference between a rat and a mouse.

heather223 said:
EWWWW!!! :yuck: :yuck: Gross, yuck, nasty and now I don't want my bagel for breakfast. I don't care what it would cost there is no question it would be in the garbage!!!!

On another note, I heard the self cleaning thing too!!! Does it work? I thought you weren't supposed to leave your oven racks in the oven when self cleaning?:confused:

Way back when my SIL was a consultant (NOTE: HO DOES NOT ENDORSE THIS PROCEDURE), she claimed that PC did say you could send them through your self-cleaning oven. (She may have gotten bad information from her upline.) Anyway, it takes a very seasoned stone and basically takes it back to look like a new one. She tried it herself. But then you have to re-season your stone again...so WHY?????

The more I think (and read) about this the more I think I would replace the entire drawer not just the stone....my sweet kitty left me a mouse last week in front of the washer (can you tell where I spend all my time) and I wouldn't go down the basement until my husband disposed of it!! I still get creeped out!! I scrubbed the basement floor with lysol!

janetupnorth said:
I'm thinking she is one who doesn't really know the difference between a rat and a mouse.

Ahhh, yes - hadn't considered that possibility.

janetupnorth said:
Way back when my SIL was a consultant (NOTE: HO DOES NOT ENDORSE THIS PROCEDURE), she claimed that PC did say you could send them through your self-cleaning oven. (She may have gotten bad information from her upline.) Anyway, it takes a very seasoned stone and basically takes it back to look like a new one. She tried it herself. But then you have to re-season your stone again...so WHY?????

I agree, why would you "unseason" a perfectly well seasoned stone! I get it if you forget it was in the oven, but again are you not supposed to take the racks out?? Or is that one of my MIL quirks? :rolleyes:

hperschnick said:
That is just gross - I wouldn't even THINK about sharing this story if it happened to me.... just toss it and buy a new one! :yuck:

My thoughts exactly....if this ever did happen to me, I wouldn't DARE tell anyone! How embarrassing!

I bet she had a ROUS!(Rodent of Unusual Size) If you don't remember THAT classic movie, you've lived a sheltered life...

[after Westley rescues her from the lightning quicksand]
Buttercup: We'll never succeed. We may as well die here.
Westley: No, no. We have already succeeded. I mean, what are the three terrors of the Fire Swamp? One, the flame spurt - no problem. There's a popping sound preceding each; we can avoid that. Two, the lightning sand, which you were clever enough to discover what that looks like, so in the future we can avoid that too.
Buttercup: Westley, what about the R.O.U.S.'s?
Westley: Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
[Immediately, an R.O.U.S. attacks him]

janetupnorth said:
[after Westley rescues her from the lightning quicksand]
Buttercup: We'll never succeed. We may as well die here.
Westley: No, no. We have already succeeded. I mean, what are the three terrors of the Fire Swamp? One, the flame spurt - no problem. There's a popping sound preceding each; we can avoid that. Two, the lightning sand, which you were clever enough to discover what that looks like, so in the future we can avoid that too.
Buttercup: Westley, what about the R.O.U.S.'s?
Westley: Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
[Immediately, an R.O.U.S. attacks him]

An all-time favorite & a classic!- now, if I could just convince DH of that - he just doesn't get it.:rolleyes:

Marrwidge...is what bwings us twogether twotoday...

I personally could not use that stone again. I would be afraid to. Tell her to suck it up and buy a new one or risk infecting her loved ones with a terrible disease. You could offer her a 10% discount too.

ChefBeckyD said:
An all-time favorite & a classic!- now, if I could just convince DH of that - he just doesn't get it.:rolleyes:

INCONCEIVABLE! :eek:

My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die...

janetupnorth said:
If you don't remember THAT classic movie, you've lived a sheltered life...

I am over here in my own little shelter!:D

jrstephens said:

Princess Bride.

"Wuv....twue Wuv....."

jrstephens said:
Me too, but I might be peeking out. Was it The Three Amigos?

I'm not a Witch; I'm your wife...I think this one might be my new favorite :)

WOW... people are crazy!! this thread made me laugh which was much needed today... wow... if she never uses the stone she sure is silly to keep it.. my goodness.. I'd probably throw everything that was in the drawer away .. and yes maybe even the drawer as someone stated earlier... yikes a rat! ......... I'd like to think she was fishing for a discount ... makes it a bit more bearable... wow tell her family.. they'll for sure trash it! right?! :)

anyway.. thanks for sharing.. good luck with that!

I wouldn't give any other suggestion but to trash it. Period. I'd hate for someone to say, well my PC consultant said this.. .. just keep it at "TRASH IT NOW!!!!!!!!" :)

WOW... people are crazy!! this thread made me laugh which was much needed today... wow... if she never uses the stone she sure is silly to keep it.. my goodness.. I'd probably throw everything that was in the drawer away .. and yes maybe even the drawer as someone stated earlier... yikes a rat! ......... I'd like to think she was fishing for a discount ... makes it a bit more bearable... wow tell her family.. they'll for sure trash it! right?! :)

anyway.. thanks for sharing.. good luck with that!

I wouldn't give any other suggestion but to trash it. Period. I'd hate for someone to say, well my PC consultant said this.. .. just keep it at "TRASH IT NOW!!!!!!!!" :)

oh and umm.. what about the baby rats??? yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How could you even think of keeping that stone? Ick! My husband is a chemist and is not a fan of the "no soap, no dishwasher" instructions for keeping your stone in good condition. We heat every stone to about 225 degrees to kill any "bugs" as he calls them. Therefore, I had to e-mail him the details of this post. It would be truly hilarious if it wasn't so disgusting!
Jessica

Soap doesn't disinfect anything, high heat and hot water do. All your dish soap does is cause greese and grime to release from the dishes. Like in the Dawn commerical where they have dish water that's all greesy and as soon as they put a drop of Dawn in it's disappears. That's all your soap does.

So even if this lady tries washing it with soap there is no guarantee if will kill everything that could be on there!

janetupnorth said:
Marrwidge...is what bwings us twogether twotoday...

janetupnorth said:
INCONCEIVABLE! :eek:

amyv said:
My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die...

ChefBeckyD said:
Princess Bride.

"Wuv....twue Wuv....."

You guys are killing me today!! Too funny!

BTW, I agree. She needs to pitch the stone! I am sure she KNOWS this...she is just upset to have to think of throwing away a seasoned stone that she loves...I am giving her the benefit of the doubt here....hoping against all hope she doesn't try to keep it!

KellyTheChef said:
You guys are killing me today!! Too funny!

BTW, I agree. She needs to pitch the stone! I am sure she KNOWS this...she is just upset to have to think of throwing away a seasoned stone that she loves...I am giving her the benefit of the doubt here....hoping against all hope she doesn't try to keep it!

Well, we'll see how she does in a "battle of wits". ;)

That which you do not smell is iocane powder.Which the customer apparently used on the rat. :D

I am rolling out of my laughing - it this lady serious about using it again??:yuck:

This thread has kept me from doing anything all day....The King's stinking son fired me, and thank you so much for bringing up such a painful subject.
While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?

<h2>1. How do I clean a stoneware pan that a rat nested in?</h2><p>The best way to clean a stoneware pan that has been used as a rat's nesting area is to make a paste of baking soda and water and scrub the affected area. You can also soak the pan in a mixture of vinegar and water for a few hours before scrubbing. However, for health reasons, it is recommended to replace the pan if the cleaning process is not successful.</p><h2>2. Can I use soap to clean a stoneware pan that a rat nested in?</h2><p>No, it is not recommended to use soap on stoneware as it can damage the seasoning and affect the performance of the pan.</p><h2>3. How do I get rid of the smell from a stoneware pan that a rat nested in?</h2><p>The baking soda paste and vinegar soak mentioned above should help eliminate the smell. You can also try leaving the pan in direct sunlight for a few hours, as the UV rays can help neutralize odors.</p><h2>4. Is it safe to continue using the stoneware pan after it has been cleaned?</h2><p>If the cleaning process is successful and the pan shows no signs of damage, it should be safe to continue using it. However, if you have any concerns, it is best to err on the side of caution and replace the pan.</p><h2>5. What should I do if the cleaning process is not successful?</h2><p>If the smell or any traces of the rat's nesting remain after cleaning, it is recommended to replace the pan for health reasons.</p>

1. How do I clean a stoneware pan that a rat nested in?

The best way to clean a stoneware pan that has been used as a rat's nesting area is to make a paste of baking soda and water and scrub the affected area. You can also soak the pan in a mixture of vinegar and water for a few hours before scrubbing. However, for health reasons, it is recommended to replace the pan if the cleaning process is not successful.

2. Can I use soap to clean a stoneware pan that a rat nested in?

No, it is not recommended to use soap on stoneware as it can damage the seasoning and affect the performance of the pan.

3. How do I get rid of the smell from a stoneware pan that a rat nested in?

The baking soda paste and vinegar soak mentioned above should help eliminate the smell. You can also try leaving the pan in direct sunlight for a few hours, as the UV rays can help neutralize odors.

4. Is it safe to continue using the stoneware pan after it has been cleaned?

If the cleaning process is successful and the pan shows no signs of damage, it should be safe to continue using it. However, if you have any concerns, it is best to err on the side of caution and replace the pan.

5. What should I do if the cleaning process is not successful?

If the smell or any traces of the rat's nesting remain after cleaning, it is recommended to replace the pan for health reasons.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrshamel3808
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • FFBearPChef
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Zsu
  • BethanyN