1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Questions for Rae about your show

1. GourmetGirl

GourmetGirl Senior Member Silver Member

Gina ~ Where did you find those stickers? I love this idea and I think people will love that they don't have to write everything down!

Apr 15, 2007
  2. SillyChef

SillyChef Veteran Member

Rae I love the outline! I will try it at my next show!!! Thanks a million!

Apr 16, 2007
  3. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

You're all most welcome. I hope you're able to use bits and pieces to fit your style.

Apr 16, 2007
  4. ddcook

ddcook Member

Apr 16, 2007
  5. AJPratt

AJPratt Legend Member Silver Member

Bumping this FABULOUS thread!

Jun 7, 2007
  6. beepampered

beepampered Veteran Member

Rae: Help me with dealing with a humorous host I met at a fair over a year ago. Her show is this weekend and because I can't see her on the phone, I'm not sure if she's being funny or if she's very particular about certain things. She didn't want to use a past consultant because of a somewhat silly reason but then she was kidding about forcing her Brother-in-Law to come to the show.

I am not a true humor person and wonder what the best approach is when she says some outrageous thing at the show. I know it will happen and I wonder if I should stare at her like she's nuts, attempt to kick back or ask for clarification. Perhaps she just wants to be the star and I can let but I don't want her to think I'm too uptight.

Also, I know almost nothing about her. Whenever I ask her anything she makes a joke and moves to the next subject. Thanks for giving me whatever advice anyone has....

Jun 7, 2007
  7. Bexamo

Bexamo Member

Thanks!

I am so glad you bumped this!! I guess I overlooked it before. Rae - THANK YOU for sharing so much!! You really make this job feel easy (while I am on CS anyhow!!) I'm going to get going on marking up my own catalog!! YEA!!

Jun 7, 2007
  8. raebates

Every once in a while I meet someone who really doesn't get my humor. I'm never offended by that. Most of us who joke a lot are used to it. My suggestion, since you asked, is to say, "Okay, I'm a little humor-challenged, so you'll need to let me know when you're joking. Otherwise, I'm going to treat everything you say like it's the gospel truth."

That alerts her to the issue, and it allows you to address any actual concerns that sound outrageous. As you know, we all get "I can't believe someone asked that" questions.

Jun 7, 2007
  9. raebates

Rebecca, I'm glad to help. What I've posted is really just my adaptation of some great ideas I learned here and elsewhere. I like to think of it as recycling. It sounds so much better than "stealing."

Jun 7, 2007
  10. cmdtrgd

cmdtrgd Legacy Member Gold Member

Oh, and we're going to the WNBA game tonight...don't know what we're doing tomorrow....

Jul 7, 2007
  11. stayinathomemama

stayinathomemama Member Gold Member

Also, they are now available from Merril & they are 1/2 the price that you would pay @ express yourself.

Just found this today @ merril

12. Paula R. Lewis

Paula R. Lewis Advanced Member Gold Member

Rae,
    I too love this thread! I have a question for you...you were oh, so clear with you commercial questions, but would you mind posting your answers??

I mean, I realize the gist of what they'll be, but wondered if you "perked it up" a bit as well??

Also, do you talk about other things, like Round up, Fund-raisers, Catalog shows, HWC, etc.?

Sometimes, I think there's just so much to cover, I wonder how to "fit it all in"! The commercial approach is certainly clever and entertaining. Also, do you mention recruiting and booking type commercials at least 3 times throughout your show, or how do you fit that in??

Thanks!
    Paula

13. raebates

Thanks, Paula.

I do touch on the bookings and recruiting thing a couple of other times during the party. I just throw in one-liners here and there; nothing specific.

In answer to the booking commercial question I say, "I'm SOOOOO glad you asked! Of course, you already know that you'll get free and discounted products. That's a given. What you'll also get is the easiest party you'll ever throw. When you invite people over, you have to decide what to feed them. No problem. I'm bringing the food. You also need to figure out how to entertain them. Again, no problem. I'm the entertainment. Seriously, I'll do everything in my power to make this the easiest thing you ever do. End of commercial. Didn't ___________ do an excellent job in helping with the commercial?" [Applause.]

To the recruiting commercial question I say, "I'm SOOOOOO glad you asked! What I really love about my job is that it's helping me to make my dreams come true. [I pull a magic wand out of the Tool Turnabout.] Everyone has dreams. Whether yours is to travel, to stay home with your children, to pay off your bills, or to get away from your children, [pause for chuckling] The Pampered Chef can help. I'd love a chance to share some more information with you about this wonderful opportunity, so I'll be talking to each of you about that later. End of commercial. Didn't ___________ do an excellent job in helping with the commercial?" [Applause.]

Round Up I mention when we get to that page in the catalog.

The other types of shows I touch on by saying at toward the end of the demo, "There are lots of different services I offer--wedding showers, fundraisers, and more."

Catalog shows I mention when I mention the specials by saying, "And, that's [the host special] available whether you have me in your home like __________ has, or simply share the catalogs and collect orders in a catalog party."

I hope that answers your questions. If you think of anything else, just let me know.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
    Jul 24, 2007
  14. Addie4TLC

Addie4TLC Advanced Member Silver Member

Bumping.... Great thread, I just listened to the Julie CD's so it was nice to hear about how it's done the PC way. :)

Sep 20, 2007
  15. feather18

feather18 Member

Addie, Can you explain the Cd??

Bumping..
    Anyone want to share what products they use??

Sep 25, 2007
  16. feather18

feather18 Member

bumping this thread!! Its so great!

Sep 25, 2007
  17. Chef Kearns

Chef Kearns Legacy Member Gold Member

Rae, what recipes do you usually make? Do you make and take or are you doing them at the hosts house then cleaning up and waiting for guests? What themes do you offer for your shows? I would like to offer; Fast Meals, Chocolate Bliss, Margaritaville, and Bites & Bevs. I am at a loss for which meals can survive making and taking or would be easy and quick enough to do in the 45 min before the show. Power Cooking is an easy one, but the rest I'm drawing a blank on.

I am aware that I need more sleep, but what can you do?

Oct 30, 2007
  18. DebbieSAChef

DebbieSAChef Senior Member

Wow

Wow Rae this is a great concept. I do love cooking and doing the demo but I also love to try new things. And this is a great idea!! I plan to use this at a few shows to test the waters.

Sandra, if you do this let me know how it turns out. I know that Taste of Home does not do cooking and they boast about that. I don't plan to never demo or cook again but this is a neat concept where we can kind of compete in a sense with that type of show and offer something similar! I wonder exactly how they do their shows. Hmmm I will have to find out, unless someone already knows!

Debbie :D

Oct 31, 2007
  19. Chef Kearns

Chef Kearns Legacy Member Gold Member

That TOH thing is one reason I've been resisting not cooking at my shows. It is what sets us apart. People know that they are going to come and learn new or neat cooking tips and eat good food. After visiting another consultant's show and seeing how she is still able to give them a great demonstration without cooking I can see how it could be done. However, I am not just going to do these. I will offer them though. I thought one of my hosts was really going to jump on the no-cook thing, but she said she likes the demo so she wants a demo at her show. Oh well!! I plan on asking my hosts which way they want to go.

Oct 31, 2007
  20. raebates

Right now I'm doing Caramel Apple Trifle or Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle. I generally pick one or two recipes for a particular month. I usually make the recipe at home and take it with me. Occasionally I'll have something that is better assembled at the last minute. In that case I'll have everything ready and assemble it at the host's house.

I don't really do the theme thing. I'll use the recipes sometimes. I'm just not a big theme person.

Oct 31, 2007
  21. raebates

I always give my hosts a choice. Occasionally I'll have someone who prefers a cooking demo, but usually they like the Walk through the Catalog. I do make sure to sprinkle lots of cooking tips and product suggestions (like using the Apple Wedger on potatoes and onion) throughout my show.

I think it really depends most on what the host wants and what the consultant is comfortable with.

Oct 31, 2007
  22. peichef

peichef Veteran Member

Rae,
    I just did a file search for the "caramel apple trifle" and the "pumpkin gingerbread trifle". Nothing was found:(

Would you PLEASE tell me where one might find these recipes:)

Oct 31, 2007
  23. raebates

Oct 31, 2007
  24. Denarella

Denarella Advanced Member

Oct 31, 2007
  25. raebates

It's either heavenly or a tool of Satan, depending on your point of view. ;)

Oct 31, 2007
  26. Denarella

Denarella Advanced Member

Hmmmmm....I don't even have a witty answer for that. I was going to make the comment about how I'm driving the bus to "you-know-where" and I may take that for all of my passengers....:angel:

Oct 31, 2007
  27. peichef

peichef Veteran Member

Thanks for posting your recipes Rae. You are a creative genius:)

Nov 1, 2007
  28. raebates

Awe, thanks! It was my pleasure.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
    Nov 1, 2007
  29. That sounds awsome!! how long have you been doing this type of show?

Aug 27, 2008
  30. raebates

It's been a couple of years now. It's the show most of my hosts choose.

Aug 28, 2008
  31. buckeyefan08

buckeyefan08 Advanced Member

I love this idea!
    I've been wanting to do a non cooking demo for a while but wasn't sure how to fill the time!
    Thanks for digging this thread up!

Aug 28, 2008
  32. This was great to read! I've thought about doing my shows like this, but was afraid of doing things "out of the box". My problem is that i can't cook and talk at the same time - i lose my croud and by time i'm done with the recipe, everyone has begun to mingle and go about their own way. It gets frustrating, hence the reason i was thinking of a show like this.
    LOVE IT! now i know it's OK to do this. I can talk about the products - love 'em. Just can't do it and use them at the same time :)

Thanks for the share

Feb 26, 2009
  33. candiejayne

candiejayne Veteran Member

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life! I love it... I too am cooking/talking challenged. Or anything/talking challenge. In college, I took a speech class, it had to be a demonstration, now I have no problem talking in front of people, but I do have a problem multi-tasking.

Thanks Rae for taking the time to do this oh so many years ago! LOL

Feb 26, 2009
  34. raebates

My pleasure. This type of show isn't for everyone, but it fits my style well.

I still have the occasional host who chooses a more traditional show, but most love this one.

Feb 26, 2009
  35. smilesarepriceless

smilesarepriceless Advanced Member Gold Member

groovy! I've been a consultant 18 mths...and the model in which I started my business was SUPER just like your original outline..As you, I've made modifications for what works best for me, but it totally works for me! And just tonight, had a show, $818 in sales, 2 solid bookings, 1 possible and 1 potential recruit lead. Gotta love the flexibility that this business provides RAE :>

36. niclowther

niclowther Member Gold Member

Wow this looks fun! I just got done reading all the old posts. Thanks for bringing this back!

Thanks Rae, I love it!

Feb 27, 2009
  37. niclowther

niclowther Member Gold Member

And Rae, are you still doing your shows like this? This was started 2 years ago, I just wondered if you've found something else you like?

Feb 27, 2009
  38. raebates

Mostly I'm still doing this type of show. I don't use the negativity cop right now. I have very few negative people at my shows. I generally try to gauge the crowd before I start. If I sense a negative vibe from anyone, I add it back in.

Feb 27, 2009
  39. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

Thanks so much for sharing. I love the idea of having the recipe already done and leave lots of time for sharing what people love. I think hearing what other "PC junkies" say about the products is great for sales.

40. raebates

Be warned, however, that PC Junkies will insist on talking about products you don't bring up. Not that that's a bad thing, unless you're trying to keep the show moving quickly.

Feb 28, 2009
  41. Nep2nfly

Nep2nfly Member

One year later, and I was wondering if anyone was still regularly doing their shows like this, and how it is working for them. I have a show this Saturday at a park pavilion (long story) and I will have to make the food ahead of time, so this looks like a great idea. I also wanted to know if you set up all of your PC stuff for people to look at, etc. (I know this is probably a stupid question...but I'm new at this - I know you set it up for the cooking show, and I'm assuming you set it up for the non-cooking show as well, but I had to ask).
    :) Thanks for your help!

Apr 11, 2010
Have something to add?