• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Questions for Rae About Your Show

?" and read the question off the card. After Susie answers the question, I give the card to the next guest. Susie then has the opportunity to ask me a question about the commercial.At the end of the show, I give everyone their catalogs and wish them a happy shopping experience. (I tell them that I hope they take the time to write me a note in the back of the catalog, telling me what they bought and why they loved it. :) The show lasts about 2 hours, with a 30-minute break in the middle. I've been doing this for about a year and a half.
chefheather
Rae, you've peaked my curiosity! :)

Care to share a little more about what your show is like? Show average? Bookings from the show? Anything else you do during your show? How long is your show? I assume you still bring products for the guests to see in person? Sorry for all the questions, but I like your idea of doing a catalog walk through and had never heard that before.

Thanks!

No problem.

My current cooking show average is about $650. Right now I'm averaging 4 bookings for a cooking show.

I recently revamped my show a bit, so here's a basic outline. (I'll be using feminine pronouns for the sake of ease--no offense to the men out there. :) )

I bring a recipe already prepared and ready to serve. I bring lots of products. As I am setting up, I choose what to put on my table and around the room, depending on the layout and how much space I have. I usually find someplace away from my table for the spices, vanilla, oil, and the cookbooks.

As people arrive I tell them that they'll be eating first. If they ask about it, I tell them that I've discovered if I let them talk and fill their tummies they pay more attention to me. (I say it with a smile, but it's the truth.) I tell them we'll get started about 15 minutes after the stated start time. (So, if they were told the party started at 7 p.m., I'll say, "We'll be getting started at about 7:15, so help yourself to something yummy.")

As everyone is beginning to gather I tell them that there are 3 rules at my shows.

1. You WILL have fun. To help enforce this rule, I pick a cheerleader. I give her a light-up Barbie pom pom.

2. This is a No Negativity Zone! I appoint a Negativity Cop. She gets a toy police car with a working siren.

3. I will be doing commercials. Now, I know that at home when a commercial comes on, that's the time you go to the kitchen for a snack or use the bathroom. Not here. My commercials contain the most important information I will give you all evening. You will cheer when I announce my commercial, and you will listen.

I thank my host for inviting me into her home. I ask everyone to introduce themselves, tell how they know the host, and describe her in one word. I then tell them that, since I now know a bit about them I will share my own story.

Next I thank the host again and give her my gifts. I have a SB that I pass around with a pen for each person to write a note to the host. I stress that they should, "Keep it nice, and keep it clean." I also usually give the host something small like an I-Slice or Mini Serving Spatula.

I go through the guest kit with them:
Survey slip. I have them fill out only their name, address, and phone. I tell them that they don't know the answers to the other questions, yet. I threaten to take their pens away if they try to work ahead.
Guest Special
Outlet flier

Anything else (Well-Stocked Kitchen, Going! Going! Gone! flier, etc.)
Wish list (Currently this is simply a blank yellow sheet of paper. I explain that they will write down any product they like. They don't have to buy it--ever. We aren't shopping until the end of the party.)

Then we get out the catalog to play the "Have it! Love it! Got a Question! Game." I have Hershey Kisses in my apron pockets. When I mention an item, the first person to yell, "Have it! Love it!" and explain to everyone why they love it gets a kiss. I also toss kisses to anyone who asks a question about a product or about the business. At the end of the catalog, the person with the most kisses (or empty wrappers) gets a prize.

Then I simply go through the catalog page by page, drawing attention to one or two products on each page. I group like things together. Cookware, SA, and stoneware are each treated as one group.

Throughout my copy of the catalog, I have sticky notes reminding me of different things I want to point out.

I also have my commercial cards in my catalog. I affix them to the page with removable double-stick tape. Right now I'm doing two commercials. As they become set in my memory, I'll add a couple more. The commercial card has a question on it. I take the card and hold it up in front of one of the guests, with the question facing her. As I hand her the card, I say, "Susie, did you have a question?"

Once she reads the question I say, "I'm SO GLAD you ASKED!" Then I answer the question. Currently my two questions are, "What benefits do I get from scheduling a night out with my friends?" and "Why do you love your job?"

I do the whole commercial question thing really big and over the top, but get serious when I do the answer. When I finish answering, I announce, "End of commercial! Didn't Susie do a wonderful job? Let's give her a hand."

At the end of the catalog, I have them count up their kisses and finish filling out their survey slips. I hand out order forms as I collect the survey slips. I tell them if they don't want to order, they can just leave the order form with their kits.

I do the door prizes (pretty, wrapped packages in the large square WS). I thank everyone, tell them where they can find me if they have any questions or would like to place an order. I also encourage them to gets seconds of the food.

The "demo" time is usually right about an hour. It really depends on how large the crowd is and how much they want to share.

This suits my personality and most of my crowds very well. It's not for everyone, and I'm sure there are people who really prefer the classic cooking demo.

For me, the key is that it's interactive, so guests feel involved. Also, if I've never met you, you have no reason to trust what I say about the products. If your friend tells you it's the best thing they ever bought, you'll believe her.

Since I started doing the walk through the catalog, I've had several people say they really like it. Most people comment that the show is fun. Since I added the rules and the commercials, the response has been overwhelming. Seriously. One woman at my last show told me that she goes to lots of parties, not just PC, and this was the most fun she had ever had at one. While I'd like to believe that I deserve a bit of the credit for that, I think the show style itself is what they're responding to. It's different.

Hope this answers your questions without confusing you too much. :D Let me know if anything needs more explanation.

Love your show outline Rae and thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Rae, I love your ideas!
Since you are cooking the recipie, do you still give your hosts the $20 credit for ingredients?

Thanks

Misty

Rae,

Thanks so much for sharing. It seems like you've taken something I've been trying to implement and actually DONE it!

Could you please share your outlet flyer? I don't believe I have one.

I'm working on what I'm going to be doing AFTER baby, and this just put me on the right track (I think!)

Thanks again!

Glad to share. So many of my ideas come from all of you, it feels good to give back a little.

My hosts get the full host benefits. I provide the ingredients and take them as a tax deduction. This is easier for me, and since I'm doing the same recipe at several shows I save money buying in larger quantities.

I got the outlet flier from one of the posts here on CS. I would attach it, but I'm having some Microsoft issues at the moment. I'm hoping they'll be cleared up soon.

Rae,

This really sounds awesome. I have two questions. At any point, do you tell them how you prepared the recipe? And also, do you do the Have-It Love-It game while you're going through the catalog page by page or is that two separate things?

Thank you so much for sharing. I can definitely see doing this style at some of my shows!

I tell them where they can find the recipe and that it's posted on my website. If necessary, I'm glad to mail a copy to anyone who wants it. If someone has a question about how it's prepared, I answer that.

The game takes place as I'm going through the catalog.

That sounds awesome!!! I'm going to try this!!

raebates said:
...I got the outlet flier from one of the posts here on CS. I would attach it, but I'm having some Microsoft issues at the moment. I'm hoping they'll be cleared up soon.

Does anyone have this flyer saved (or another one). There are WAY too many posts with "outlet" in them to try and find it.

Thanks in advance!

What giftsare you giving? The normal door prizes, just wrapped? Or are you throwing different things in? This sounds interesting!! I would definately like to sit in on one of your shows!!

nikked said:
Does anyone have this flyer saved (or another one). There are WAY too many posts with "outlet" in them to try and find it.

Thanks in advance!

Go to Files and put in Outlet and there are about 5 different fliers. HTH

We had cheerleaders and the negative police at our regional meeting in February. It was fun when they cheered when something good was going on (like time to eat, or prize time) and we all laughed.

For our police, we used a squirt gun. I don't want to use a squirt gun at a show, I like your siren idea better, but it was awesome at the meeting. We had a live cooking show going on and the demonstrator said something negative (I don't remember what he said, and he didn't think it was negative... We didn't either when he explained why he said it.).

But anyway, the girl ran up and squirted him with water, and the whole room burst out laughing. It was fun, so I can imagine it would be big at a show also.

Can you tell us how you explain it at your show, so they know how it works? And do you find that at times you have to remind them?
Are they supposed to use the siren if someone says a tool didn't work the way they thought or has a problem using it?

Thanks so much, I have a show tomorrow and will try some of these things. Tina (see ya - wave 2 :))

Also I love the idea of using the wish list up front and then having them order later. Do you know the prices of everything and do you have them asking about it while you talk about them.

Rae, thanks for sharing your show outline. This is great!

I just use the normal door prizes. (And, as soon as my computer starts cooperating, I'll be adding some "Free Shipping" coupons.) I think it was Jillysue who started the whole thing with wrapping the door prizes. I just put mine in cellophane bags and tie them with pretty ribbons. People ooh and aah over them.

My Negativity Cops sometimes get a little overzealous. I don't worry about it too much. It's not a big issue with the siren, but the squirt gun would tick me off. People feel free to argue back with the Cop. Some begin their comment with, "This isn't negative. I just want to say . . ."

Glad to share. Hope you're able to use something from my ramblings.

Rae,
Your shows sound awesome! Thanks for the info!

I haven't done a show for awhile
& this sounds great. I would love to see something like this
in action.

Bev

Bev, you'd be more than welcome at one of my shows. However, since this is an international group chances are pretty good that you're too far away for that.

Actually I live in Huntington Indiana! That's not very far away
from Denver!

Really? You are close. If you ever want to sit in, just PM me. I'm sure we could find a date that would work.

Thanks for sharing, Rae!

Rea that was great. I was planning on doing my next show like this, you have now encouraged me. <runs away singing> I have an outline...I have an outline hehe

I'm so glad I could help, Diane.Did you really run away singing? I picture it as more of a skip.

just in my head lol

Rae-your outline is great!!! Thanks so much for sharing. I am trying a different approach with my shows for the new season and that is either making a 12-minute cake or to cook the recipe ahead of time as soon as I get to the host's house.

Rae, I'm doing a Round-off/Back Handspring/Back Tuck while singing.LOVE THIS!

Did this today and discovered that I need to shut up! I talked too much, so it went longer than I would have liked, but I really do like this.

Glad it worked out for you, Deb. It IS easy to get carried away. I try my best to only mention 1 or 2 things on each page. Grouping pages together helps, too (i.e. treating all of the stoneware as 1 "page").Kim, not even my imagination is flexible and talented enough to do that!

raebates said:
I tell them where they can find the recipe and that it's posted on my website. If necessary, I'm glad to mail a copy to anyone who wants it. If someone has a question about how it's prepared, I answer that.

The game takes place as I'm going through the catalog.

Rae,

Thanks sooooo much for your outline. I have been wanting to change things a little - and this sounds like just the ticket!!

I like the idea of going through the catalog and playing GI/HI/LI game. I bought these great "flag stickers" on a sticker website I have been wanting to use. They are RED and sat Gotta Have It! in WHITE. I figure I will put "8" of them on their lapboards (they are removable) and tell them as we go through to be sure and flag anything the other guests say HI/LI.... I will certainly have more stickers on hand.

I made the recipe ahead of time for my last two shows (seasoned guests) one group loved just being able to eat, play a game, order and go back to talking - the other group was disappointed that they did not get to see a demo??:confused:

BUT - you have certainly inspired me to try something new....THANKS:cool:

BumpHey All,

Rae, LOVE your ideas. I must've missed this the first time around.

Gina, where did you get those "flags" from. I think I really like your idea.

TIA

Kim

Glad to help, Kim.

Rae, Thanks so much for sharing, Some of the CS state they stand in front of the table,now I see how this can be done with no demo... I get it... a little slow.....love your detail outline of your show.

I Love your show outline..... I have aquestion for you Rae.. Does anyone get their nose bent out of shape when you go over the rules for the show?

Rae's mini lecture for the day
mommyhugz1978 said:
I Love your show outline..... I have aquestion for you Rae.. Does anyone get their nose bent out of shape when you go over the rules for the show?

No. It is obvious that I'm talking tongue-in-cheek.

This is one of those tricky situations, though. I'm pretty good at the whole humor thing. When I tell someone that they can use the Meat Lifters as a personal protection device, they know I'm not really advocating violence against a fellow human being.

My mom, on the other hand, is definitely not good at humor. (She's not a consultant, but she's the perfect one to use as an example.) Whenever she tells a joke or tries to be funny, it falls flat. She knows this, so humor isn't a tactic she employs. Ever. If she used the line about the meat lifters, someone would most likely alert the HO (or even the police) that she was a danger to the community.

Every consultant should really take a close look at his or her own personality type. Show techniques like these need to be evaluated in light of your own style. My shows have lots of laughter because that's who I am. For me, though, those cute little one-liners don't work. They come out really cheesy. They don't suit me at all. I've seen other people use them really effectively, though.

End of lecture. Thank you for your kind attention. :D

raebates said:
No. It is obvious that I'm talking tongue-in-cheek.

This is one of those tricky situations, though. I'm pretty good at the whole humor thing. When I tell someone that they can use the Meat Lifters as a personal protection device, they know I'm not really advocating violence against a fellow human being.

My mom, on the other hand, is definitely not good at humor. (She's not a consultant, but she's the perfect one to use as an example.) Whenever she tells a joke or tries to be funny, it falls flat. She knows this, so humor isn't a tactic she employs. Ever. If she used the line about the meat lifters, someone would most likely alert the HO (or even the police) that she was a danger to the community.

Every consultant should really take a close look at his or her own personality type. Show techniques like these need to be evaluated in light of your own style. My shows have lots of laughter because that's who I am. For me, though, those cute little one-liners don't work. They come out really cheesy. They don't suit me at all. I've seen other people use them really effectively, though.

End of lecture. Thank you for your kind attention. :D

I am pretty good with humor thing as well..... But I have noticed at some shows that it really depends on the crowd what works for one crowd does not work for the next set.. .But I love your outline becasue it gives me a little guide on hwo to enchance my shows... Thanks for sharing!!

You're more than welcome.

Thanks Rae this is great. Now I've got it bookmarked so I can find it easily.

I love this idea thank you for sharing!

Thanks Rae for the outline! I am so excited to try this. I love how you work the Julie Weitz stuff into a walk through show! This is going to be awesome!

At my show today only 2 people showed up (my pretty much step-sisters), so we all together put the recipe together and just chatted about the products. Their significant others were there and between the 2 of them they spent over $200 (They have spent a total of $5 between the 2 of them since I started a year ago and have been invited to multiple shows and never attended, so this was huge for me!), so I can totally tell how much getting to touch and just chat about the products sells more than "watching" the products!

PCGINA said:
I like the idea of going through the catalog and playing GI/HI/LI game. I bought these great "flag stickers" on a sticker website I have been wanting to use. They are RED and sat Gotta Have It! in WHITE. I figure I will put "8" of them on their lapboards (they are removable) and tell them as we go through to be sure and flag anything the other guests say HI/LI.... I will certainly have more stickers on hand.

Gina ~ Where did you find those stickers? I love this idea and I think people will love that they don't have to write everything down!

Rae I love the outline! I will try it at my next show!!! Thanks a million!

You're all most welcome. I hope you're able to use bits and pieces to fit your style.

Bumping this FABULOUS thread!

Rae: Help me with dealing with a humorous host I met at a fair over a year ago. Her show is this weekend and because I can't see her on the phone, I'm not sure if she's being funny or if she's very particular about certain things. She didn't want to use a past consultant because of a somewhat silly reason but then she was kidding about forcing her Brother-in-Law to come to the show.

I am not a true humor person and wonder what the best approach is when she says some outrageous thing at the show. I know it will happen and I wonder if I should stare at her like she's nuts, attempt to kick back or ask for clarification. Perhaps she just wants to be the star and I can let but I don't want her to think I'm too uptight.

Also, I know almost nothing about her. Whenever I ask her anything she makes a joke and moves to the next subject. Thanks for giving me whatever advice anyone has....

Thanks!I am so glad you bumped this!! I guess I overlooked it before. Rae - THANK YOU for sharing so much!! You really make this job feel easy (while I am on CS anyhow!!) I'm going to get going on marking up my own catalog!! YEA!!

beepampered said:
Rae: Help me with dealing with a humorous host I met at a fair over a year ago. Her show is this weekend and because I can't see her on the phone, I'm not sure if she's being funny or if she's very particular about certain things. She didn't want to use a past consultant because of a somewhat silly reason but then she was kidding about forcing her Brother-in-Law to come to the show.

I am not a true humor person and wonder what the best approach is when she says some outrageous thing at the show. I know it will happen and I wonder if I should stare at her like she's nuts, attempt to kick back or ask for clarification. Perhaps she just wants to be the star and I can let but I don't want her to think I'm too uptight.

Also, I know almost nothing about her. Whenever I ask her anything she makes a joke and moves to the next subject. Thanks for giving me whatever advice anyone has....

Every once in a while I meet someone who really doesn't get my humor. I'm never offended by that. Most of us who joke a lot are used to it. My suggestion, since you asked, is to say, "Okay, I'm a little humor-challenged, so you'll need to let me know when you're joking. Otherwise, I'm going to treat everything you say like it's the gospel truth."

That alerts her to the issue, and it allows you to address any actual concerns that sound outrageous. As you know, we all get "I can't believe someone asked that" questions.

Rebecca, I'm glad to help. What I've posted is really just my adaptation of some great ideas I learned here and elsewhere. I like to think of it as recycling. It sounds so much better than "stealing."

Oh, and we're going to the WNBA game tonight...don't know what we're doing tomorrow....

GourmetGirl said:
Gina ~ Where did you find those stickers? I love this idea and I think people will love that they don't have to write everything down!

Also, they are now available from Merril & they are 1/2 the price that you would pay @ express yourself.

Just found this today @ merril

<H2>What is your show like?</H2><p>Our shows are interactive cooking demonstrations where guests can learn about our products, try out recipes, and have a fun and relaxing time with friends.</p><H2>What is the average attendance at your shows?</H2><p>Our average attendance is around 10-15 guests, but it can vary depending on the host's guest list and the size of the host's home.</p><H2>How many bookings do you typically get from a show?</H2><p>On average, we receive 2-3 bookings from each show. However, some shows have resulted in more bookings and some in fewer.</p><H2>What else do you do during your show?</H2><p>In addition to the cooking demonstration, we also play games, offer special discounts and promotions, and have a Q&A session where guests can ask any questions they have about our products or hosting a show.</p><H2>How long is your show?</H2><p>Our shows typically last about 2 hours, but it can vary depending on the number of guests and the activities we have planned.</p><H2>Do you bring products for guests to see in person?</H2><p>Yes, we bring a selection of our products for guests to see and try out during the show. This allows them to get a better understanding of the products and see how they work in person.</p>

What is your show like?

Our shows are interactive cooking demonstrations where guests can learn about our products, try out recipes, and have a fun and relaxing time with friends.

What is the average attendance at your shows?

Our average attendance is around 10-15 guests, but it can vary depending on the host's guest list and the size of the host's home.

How many bookings do you typically get from a show?

On average, we receive 2-3 bookings from each show. However, some shows have resulted in more bookings and some in fewer.

What else do you do during your show?

In addition to the cooking demonstration, we also play games, offer special discounts and promotions, and have a Q&A session where guests can ask any questions they have about our products or hosting a show.

How long is your show?

Our shows typically last about 2 hours, but it can vary depending on the number of guests and the activities we have planned.

Do you bring products for guests to see in person?

Yes, we bring a selection of our products for guests to see and try out during the show. This allows them to get a better understanding of the products and see how they work in person.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• California Girl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ashvel
  • ccmahaffey
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • Poll