• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Psa: Fire Alarms and Children - Very Interesting!

In summary, to teach your child about fire safety without scaring them, you can involve them in fire drill practices, use books or videos designed for children, and make it a fun and interactive activity. It is recommended to start teaching them at three years old and continue reinforcing it throughout their childhood. To ensure they know what to do in case of a fire, create a family fire escape plan and have them memorize emergency numbers. If your child is afraid of fire alarms, address their fears and involve them in testing and changing batteries. There are also many resources available, such as books, videos, and materials from your local fire department, to help you teach your child about fire safety.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
You will want to view this to the end! Very interesting and good to know!

Ugh - attachment didn't work - be back in a bit with that!

Is this related to the study from one of the newsmagazine programs? They set off fire alarms during the night, and most children didn't even stir in their sleep, let alone wake up and evacuate.

chefann said:
Is this related to the study from one of the newsmagazine programs? They set off fire alarms during the night, and most children didn't even stir in their sleep, let alone wake up and evacuate.
I wondered this too - they actually have alarms that talk to the kids, and that is more effective...

The story I saw showed a typical home, with regular "beepy" alarms in the hallways. If parents were more concerned, they'd put interconnected alarms in every bedroom. We've got connected alarms at our house - the one upstairs will go off when any of the others detects smoke.

Yes, it was that episode. I have a lot going on here so I was off doing work...I'll try again on the attachment in a little bit.

Grr...attachment was too big...

they actually have alarms that talk to the kids, and that is more effective...

What a great idea! DS could sleep thru a fleet of fire trucks, but when I tell him, in a normal voice, to wake up, he's up.

Thank you for posting!

1. How can I teach my child about fire safety without scaring them?

One way to teach children about fire safety without scaring them is to involve them in fire drill practices. Make it a fun and interactive activity, such as playing a game where they have to "escape" from a pretend fire. You can also use books or videos specifically designed for children to learn about fire safety in a non-threatening way.

2. What age should I start teaching my child about fire safety?

It is recommended to start teaching children about fire safety as early as three years old. At this age, they are able to understand basic concepts and follow simple instructions. However, it is important to continue reinforcing fire safety throughout their childhood and teenage years.

3. How can I make sure my child knows what to do in case of a fire?

One way to ensure your child knows what to do in case of a fire is to create a family fire escape plan. Practice this plan with your child regularly and make sure they understand the importance of following it. You can also have them memorize important emergency numbers, such as 911, and teach them how to call for help.

4. What should I do if my child is afraid of fire alarms?

If your child is afraid of fire alarms, it is important to address their fears and reassure them that fire alarms are there to keep them safe. You can explain how fire alarms work and why they are important. You can also involve them in testing and changing batteries in the fire alarms, so they feel more in control of the situation.

5. Are there any resources available to help me teach my child about fire safety?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you teach your child about fire safety. You can find books, videos, and online games specifically designed for children to learn about fire safety in a fun and engaging way. You can also reach out to your local fire department for educational materials and resources.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
jcsmilez
  • janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • SummerG
  • General Chat
Replies