• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Psa: Fire Prevention Week - Chimneys/Heating

In summary, the video showcases how to deal with a kitchen fire. Don't throw any objects on the fire, and be aware of the explosive force of a grease fire.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
As a Lieutenant on my local Fire Department, I cannot let Fire Prevention Week go by without a PSA for my fellow cheffers.

As we approach the winter heating season, please be sure to be wise with your house.

Be sure to clean out your chimney before you burn for the first time this season if you burn wood. ...and burn wood, not paper or pine... Also, if you cannot do it, have your chimney inspected.

Replace your batteries in your smoke detectors and test them.

Replace the batteries or install a Carbon Monoxide detector in your house if you use a furnace. Make sure furnaces and other heating devices are properly vented.

If you are short on funds this year, please, PLEASE do not resort to unsafe methods to keep you warm.

Check with your local electric and gas companies about getting on time of use plans, use blankets and other clothing to stay warmer. Cook dinners in the evening which will warm your house. Don't compromise health and safety!

Thanks for the reminders, Janet.This is also a good time to clean your lint trap. Do you use dryer sheets? If so, you'll want to clean the dryer's lint trap twice a year. Just use warm water and an old toothbrush. Dryer sheets have a waxy substance that clogs the holes in your lint trap. Cleaning it twice a year can make your dryer last longer and work more efficiently (which = $$$ saved).

Hey Janet, when I received this e-mail, I thought of you! This seems like the perfect thread in which to post it, too.

Kitchen Fire - Read first, then watch

I never realized that a wet dishcloth can be a one size fits all lid to
Cover a fire in a pan!

This is a dramatic video (30-second, very short) about how to deal with
A common kitchen fire ... Oil in a frying pan. Read the following
Introduction, then watch the show ... It's a real eye-opener!!

At the Fire Fighting Training school they would demonstrate this with a
Deep fat fryer set on the fire field. An instructor would don a fire
Suit and using an 8 oz cup at the end of a10 foot pole toss water onto the
Grease fire. The results got the attention of the students.

The water, being heavier than oil, sinks to the bottom where it
Instantly becomes superheated. The explosive force of the steam blows the

Burning oil up and out. On the open field, it became a thirty foot high fireball

That resembled a nuclear blast. Inside the confines of a kitchen, the fire ball

Hits the ceiling and fills the entire room.

Also, do not throw sugar or flour on a grease fire. One cup creates the
Explosive force of two sticks of dynamite. This is a powerful
Message----watch the video and don't forget what you see. Tell your
Whole family about this video Or better yet, send this to them.

YouTube - Kitchen Oil Fire

Please make sure you read tomorrow morning's update.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Please make sure you read tomorrow morning's update.

Ok, I'll try to remember that in the a.m.! :)

1. What are some common causes of chimney fires?

The most common causes of chimney fires are a buildup of creosote, a highly flammable substance that forms when wood burns, and the use of improper materials in the fireplace, such as cardboard or trash.

2. How can I prevent a chimney fire?

To prevent a chimney fire, it is important to have your chimney inspected and cleaned regularly by a professional. You should also only burn dry, seasoned wood and avoid using accelerants like gasoline or kerosene.

3. What should I do if I suspect a chimney fire?

If you suspect a chimney fire, call the fire department immediately and evacuate your home. Do not try to extinguish the fire yourself. If possible, close the damper and use a fire extinguisher to put out any visible flames in the fireplace.

4. Can other heating sources, such as space heaters, cause fires?

Yes, space heaters and other heating sources can cause fires if not used properly. It is important to keep them at least three feet away from any flammable materials and never leave them unattended.

5. Are there any additional safety measures I should take during Fire Prevention Week?

Yes, in addition to regular chimney maintenance, it is important to have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. It is also a good idea to have a fire escape plan and practice it with your family during Fire Prevention Week.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MissChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen2u
  • KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • jrstephens