• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pre-Qualified Blues: Dealing with Setbacks in My First 30 Days as a Consultant

just for fun?If you purchase the website restrictions that you have pre-qualifying is you can't purchase outside of a show, the outlet isn't available on your site, & you can't do wedding registries. Guests CAN make purchases thru our website towards a show though!! Also, you can still qualify if you have $1250 in commissionable sells within your first 30 days!! If there's no possible way for you to do 4 shows before then, I'd suggest some major host coaching!!You can do a show for yourself and just ask your friends to order. Get $300 in orders and submit it as two shows! That way you don't have to stress out about "performing" in front of your
leftymac
So, I started this thing off with lots of enthusiasm, but now I'm starting to get the pre-qualified blues! I had 5 shows scheduled (3 cooking, 2 catty) for my first 30 days (deadline 3/26). Now, it seems to be falling apart!

#1) A coworker is hosting a show but had to reschedule because 90% of her invites couldn't come on that day. She could only reschedule for the 28th! Easter weekend screws us up (also we're teachers and we have spring break that week before so a lot of us are traveling).

#2) A friend in CA is doing a catalog show and even though I wrote in the host packet, in an email, and told him over the phone to NOT have his guests place orders on the website, he told them too! He didn't tell me this until the customers had already received their products. *rolls eyes*

#3) A local friend of mine is hosting a cooking show on 3/22. He won't return my calls! He's kinda flaky like that, so it's nothing new, but now is just not the time to flake out.

So assuming #2 and #3 don't come through, that leaves me with 1 cooking show and 1 catalog show. Mom is trying to do another catalog show for me, so hopefully that will happen.

I don't want to host a show for my friends because...well, it's hard to explain. But basically most of my friends are catty gay men. I hosted a show back in October and they did nothing but make fun of the consultant the whole time. So, I'm not that comfortable doing one in front of them. Now as for my coworkers (4 of whom are doing shows, but after 3/26) I'm very happy to practice and look like a fool in front of them.

Help! :)

Don't feel so down! Things will pick up. It's not maditory to qualify within your 30 days, work your business how you want to.

Friends can be really flaky hosts! They forget that you are still trying to do a job.

And get a website, you won't have to worry about that issue any more. If it's within 30 days they can send back the products for a refund and then purchase on your friend's show.

Thanks -- It's mandatory for me because I want the three pieces of forged cutlery! I've gotten greedy.

I do plan to get a website -- I just wish they could do online ordering pre-qualification! Seems silly that they don't -- they *want* us to succeed, yet are restricting.:p

i feel your pain, keith and all i can say is keep plugging away. here's another angle - how about a fundraiser? If your friends are catty gay men, can you do a benefit for pflag or something that might have them take a different view? plus, did they know the consultant when you hosted the show? you could risk having them laugh with you, or you could all laugh at each other when you get them off their keisters and up cooking with you....

just a few thoughts....and good luck in this new adventure!

If you purchase the website restrictions that you have pre-qualifying is you can't purchase outside of a show, the outlet isn't available on your site, & you can't do wedding registries. Guests CAN make purchases thru our website towards a show though!! Also, you can still qualify if you have $1250 in commissionable sells within your first 30 days!! If there's no possible way for you to do 4 shows before then, I'd suggest some major host coaching!!

Best of Luck!!

leftymac said:
I do plan to get a website -- I just wish they could do online ordering pre-qualification! Seems silly that they don't -- they *want* us to succeed, yet are restricting.:p
They CAN order online before you qualify if it's on a show (live or catalog). So go get that website!!

Are you serious? I totally read that wrong then. I'm a sucker!

leftymac said:
I don't want to host a show for my friends because...well, it's hard to explain. But basically most of my friends are catty gay men. I hosted a show back in October and they did nothing but make fun of the consultant the whole time. So, I'm not that comfortable doing one in front of them. Now as for my coworkers (4 of whom are doing shows, but after 3/26) I'm very happy to practice and look like a fool in front of them.

Help! :)

What if you do a catalog show for yourself and just ask your friends to order? Get $300 in orders and submit it as two shows! That way you don't have to stress out about "performing" in front of your friends.

You can totally do this!!!

I may have missed it, but have you done your own show - even a catalog show? If you are afraid of your friends bad behavior at a Cooking Show, maybe you could do a catalog show with them? OR if there is just one that you think might host a Cooking Show - I would be honest with them at the show, and just say (In a joking manner...sorta:rolleyes: ) "Hey guys, I heard you at the other show, so watch how you talk about me behind my back, I bleed easily...." I don't know if you can do that with them - but that would probably be my approach.:D

See, things ARE looking up!! Maybe you can host a catty show for all of your guy friends and let them order off your website!!

Can I do two catalog shows for myself? Because if so, that's definitely what I'm gonna do.

You can do as many shows for yourself as you want!

wadesgirl said:
You can do as many shows for yourself as you want!

Well, doesn't that make it easier. And, I've got the website set up now!

You guys/gals are great -- thanks so much!

leftymac said:
Well, doesn't that make it easier. And, I've got the website set up now!

You guys/gals are great -- thanks so much!

See - you're gonna make it after all! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hmmmm, after typing that, the Mary Tyler Moore theme song started running through my head!:rolleyes:

Dude, I was just gonna say, GET THAT WEB SITE! It is the best thing since sliced bread! I had a $440 catalog show IN MINNESOTA using it. They have to order from YOUR site, though, not The Pampered Chef, Ltd..

And my director advised us to have two "Grand Openings" and if it gets to $300, submit it as TWO SHOWS. That way you only need 2 more to qualify.

Do you get an extra 30 days? I remember hearing that somewhere. Check your 30th day on your letter. I didn't get an extra 30, but my "30th day" was further away than I thought it was.

And if they're too catty ... do the diva snap, say, "What EVAH!" and move on!

Di_Can_Cook said:
Dude, I was just gonna say, GET THAT WEB SITE! It is the best thing since sliced bread! I had a $440 catalog show IN MINNESOTA using it. They have to order from YOUR site, though, not The Pampered Chef, Ltd..

And my director advised us to have two "Grand Openings" and if it gets to $300, submit it as TWO SHOWS. That way you only need 2 more to qualify.

Do you get an extra 30 days? I remember hearing that somewhere. Check your 30th day on your letter. I didn't get an extra 30, but my "30th day" was further away than I thought it was.

And if they're too catty ... do the diva snap, say, "What EVAH!" and move on!

Nope, no extra 30 days for me! Now that I've got the website set up, I'm a bit more optimistic!

"I just *love* how the hosts and consultants are referred to as her in our marketing materials"

This may help make up for masculine pronouns being the default everywhere else ;-)

susanr613 said:
"I just *love* how the hosts and consultants are referred to as her in our marketing materials"

This may help make up for masculine pronouns being the default everywhere else ;-)

Haha..I'll take that. Just don't start referring to history as "herstory". That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, especially given the origins of the word history! However, I'll get off of my linguistic soapbox for the time being. :p

Semi-hijack.
I had an instructor in college who insisted that we use non-gender-specific wording for our papers. Her preferred option was s/he, although we could use he/she if that's what we preferred. I ended up writing everything for that class in the plural so I could use they. It was SO annoying! And she was the only instructor for that class, which was required for my degree.
end hijack.

Maybe this is not the perfect solution, but how about an email blitz to your friends, family and neighbors? Tell them that if they call/email their order to you by a specific date and time, you'll give them a discount. I know it cuts into your commission in the long run, but if it helps you get qualified then it's worth it (IMHO). ESPECIALLY with three pieces of forged cutlery on the line...wow, what a GREAT offer that is! 10% off, or 20% off ONE item in their order, however you want to handle it...most people really go for that kind of thing. I always offer customers a "free" Season's Best for orders of $50 or more and free shipping for orders of $100 or more. Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you! :)

ChefBeckyD said:
See - you're gonna make it after all! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hmmmm, after typing that, the Mary Tyler Moore theme song started running through my head!:rolleyes:

*sigh* me too...

In fact I read your post with the tune....

*sigh*

leftymac said:
Nope, no extra 30 days for me! Now that I've got the website set up, I'm a bit more optimistic!

Yeah, glad to hear it!

sklay723 said:
Maybe this is not the perfect solution, but how about an email blitz to your friends, family and neighbors? Tell them that if they call/email their order to you by a specific date and time, you'll give them a discount. I know it cuts into your commission in the long run, but if it helps you get qualified then it's worth it (IMHO). ESPECIALLY with three pieces of forged cutlery on the line...wow, what a GREAT offer that is! 10% off, or 20% off ONE item in their order, however you want to handle it...most people really go for that kind of thing. I always offer customers a "free" Season's Best for orders of $50 or more and free shipping for orders of $100 or more. Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you! :)
Hey, thanks so much . I think that's a great idea! I'm not worried about it cutting into the commission -- I just want the darn knives (and the bonus PC dollars)! I'll send that out to the ones that aren't having a show :) If they order from the website, do I have a chance to adjust their actual total before it is charged to their credit card?

Last edited:
chefann said:
Semi-hijack.
I had an instructor in college who insisted that we use non-gender-specific wording for our papers. Her preferred option was s/he, although we could use he/she if that's what we preferred. I ended up writing everything for that class in the plural so I could use they. It was SO annoying! And she was the only instructor for that class, which was required for my degree.
end hijack.

I'll carry that hijack on...

There are some that are actually working on creating totally different gender-neutral terms. Here's an interesting site: Gender-Neutral Pronoun Frequently Asked Questions (GNP FAQ) Click on the #4 linky of the FAQ lineup... which from there "Depending on how one counts, there are between three and five active groups. The two most popular seem to be "sie, hir, hir, hirs, hirself", (especially "hir"), and "zie, zir, zir, zirs, zirself". The latter apparently came into being after a German-speaking netizen objected to "sie" and "Sie", which in many contexts means "she" in German. Third and fourth, differing only in the first and maybe last word, are "e or ey, em, eir, eirs, eirself or emself". Fifth, some people use "per", from "person", which i assume has the set "per, per, pers, pers, persself", although i've never seen it developed that far. I've not actually seen this in use on the net, but i've seen people on the net who claimed to use it all the time in their own lives. These will all be discussed in detail later in the FAQ."

Personally, if gender isn't known, I use they and them... it works *shrug*.

lkprescott said:
I'll carry that hijack on...

There are some that are actually working on creating totally different gender-neutral terms. Here's an interesting site: Gender-Neutral Pronoun Frequently Asked Questions (GNP FAQ) Click on the #4 linky of the FAQ lineup... which from there "Depending on how one counts, there are between three and five active groups. The two most popular seem to be "sie, hir, hir, hirs, hirself", (especially "hir"), and "zie, zir, zir, zirs, zirself". The latter apparently came into being after a German-speaking netizen objected to "sie" and "Sie", which in many contexts means "she" in German. Third and fourth, differing only in the first and maybe last word, are "e or ey, em, eir, eirs, eirself or emself". Fifth, some people use "per", from "person", which i assume has the set "per, per, pers, pers, persself", although i've never seen it developed that far. I've not actually seen this in use on the net, but i've seen people on the net who claimed to use it all the time in their own lives. These will all be discussed in detail later in the FAQ."

Personally, if gender isn't known, I use they and them... it works *shrug*.

I'm sorry, but that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Hey Keith, good luck with everything!! I qualified three days late, so I feel your pain... although I didn't have three piece of Cutlery on the line!!I just wanted to point out that I do not think you are allowed to have your entire web address in your signature... I am sure others here know the policy better than I do, and will correct me if I am wrong, but I think we are not allowed to put our website anywhere on the internet... I don't mean to be a policy cop, I just wanted to let you know in case someone meaner than me sees it first! :)Good luck with the website and your catalog shows!!

leftymac said:
Hey, thanks so much . I think that's a great idea! I'm not worried about it cutting into the commission -- I just want the darn knives (and the bonus PC dollars)! I'll send that out to the ones that aren't having a show :)

If they order from the website, do I have a chance to adjust their actual total before it is charged to their credit card?
Hey Keith, hang in there bud!
Yeah, what you need to do is setup an online catalog show on your website. From there you can send out e-invites to all your contacts and it will link them directly to your show. They then place their orders on the web linked to your online show. It will not process the order but will send you a notice that you have an order.
Then you go to the online show and REVIEW the order. When you open up on the show on Pampered Partner Plus you can then transfer the order information to your PC. From there you can adjust their payment amount by adding a second payment. Simply apply the discount you want to the original payment and make the second payment either as cash or on your personal debit/credit card.
Whew! I know this sounds like a lot of work but it really works quite simple.
Let me know if you have any questions.

jbachen said:
Hey Keith, good luck with everything!! I qualified three days late, so I feel your pain... although I didn't have three piece of Cutlery on the line!!

I just wanted to point out that I do not think you are allowed to have your entire web address in your signature... I am sure others here know the policy better than I do, and will correct me if I am wrong, but I think we are not allowed to put our website anywhere on the internet... I don't mean to be a policy cop, I just wanted to let you know in case someone meaner than me sees it first! :)

Good luck with the website and your catalog shows!!

Good catch and you are correct.

Keith.. you can put the end part (after the .com party) of your website on your signature but the whole website URL can't be noted. Check out ChefAnn's signature line for a great example.

Make sure to read up about where you can and can not use your URL so you don't find yourself in accidental violation.

I would suggest selecting "Consultant Gift" as payment method for whatever discount you end up using...since it's coming out of your pocket, it's a business expense, and then you can run a report at year's end that will total out all of your "gifts" for tax purposes in your business. I've offered 10% off when I've been in crunch time for certain incentives, and while it's not always "the" best thing to offer, it does seem to help...especially for past hosts who already get 10% off, because it is like they're getting that kind of a good deal twice. :) Good luck!

sklay723 said:
I would suggest selecting "Consultant Gift" as payment method for whatever discount you end up using...since it's coming out of your pocket, it's a business expense, and then you can run a report at year's end that will total out all of your "gifts" for tax purposes in your business. I've offered 10% off when I've been in crunch time for certain incentives, and while it's not always "the" best thing to offer, it does seem to help...especially for past hosts who already get 10% off, because it is like they're getting that kind of a good deal twice. :) Good luck!
Ooohh! I didn't know that was there, is that new? I like the idea of this a lot better.
Mahalo!!

Yes, yes, yes ... USE consultant gift in Pampered Partner Plus... that turns it into a TAX WRITEOFF!Glad things are looking up for you! PC Dollars are sweet things to have!I had a customer order from my web site ... she charged herself direct shipping. I was able to adjust the amount charged to her card after telling her I'd be happy to bring her stone to her. Turns out that when it came in, her brother GAVE me a car, so I asked him to deliver it for me!As for the hijack ....Please, please, I beg of you, if you are going to use "they" or "them" PLEASE make the subject of your sentence PLURAL! As in "Hosts get 20 percent discounts on their order" and not "a host gets a 20 percent discount on their order." The professional writer and editor has spoken. :)

1. What should I do if a scheduled show has to be rescheduled due to low attendance?

The best course of action in this situation would be to work with the host to find a new date that works for both of you. You can also encourage the host to reach out to attendees individually to see if they can make it on the new date. If the rescheduled show still ends up with low attendance, you can offer to do a smaller, more intimate gathering with the host and a few of their friends.

2. How should I handle a host who didn't follow my instructions for their catalog show?

It's important to communicate clearly with your hosts about the expectations for their show, including not placing orders through the website. In this case, you can kindly remind your friend that this can impact your business and sales, and ask if they can reach out to their guests to see if they can cancel their orders and place them through you instead.

3. What can I do if my host for a cooking show is not responding to my calls?

If your host is known for being flaky, it's important to have a backup plan in case they end up not following through. You can reach out to other potential hosts or consider doing a virtual show, where you can invite guests from all over to participate. If the host does end up responding, make sure to have a clear and open conversation about the importance of communication and follow-through.

4. Should I host a show for my friends, even though I'm not comfortable doing so?

It's important to prioritize your comfort and boundaries in any situation. If you feel uncomfortable hosting a show for your friends, it's okay to politely decline or suggest another way for them to support your business, such as hosting a catalog show or purchasing products directly from you. Remember, there are many ways to support a friend's business, and it's important to respect each other's boundaries.

5. What can I do to make the most out of the shows I do have scheduled?

Even if your initial plans for shows fall through, there are still ways to make the most out of the ones that are still scheduled. Make sure to communicate clearly with your hosts about expectations and any changes. You can also offer incentives or rewards for attendees who bring a friend or place an order. Additionally, make sure to follow up with attendees after the show to offer any assistance or answer any questions they may have about the products or hosting a show themselves.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• funinyourkitchen
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Yakmama
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies