1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Potential host death in family

1. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

My sister hosted a show and there was a woman there who wanted to book. She didn't set a date and I tried following up with her. Months went by and we still never pinpointed a date. Then my sister told me that her son died in a tragic accident. I meant to send her a condolence card, but kept forgetting to. Now it's been several months.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from her. She wrote in reply to my mid-month newsletter I sent out about the HWC items. She said:

Hi Amanda!
    I am thinking about hosting a catalog show in November. What do you think? How would I put it together? Let me know.
    Thanks, Xxxxxx

So I'm wondering...do I just reply back to her answering her question and moving on with the PC info? Or do I mention being aware of the loss of her son and expressing my condolences and apologize for dropping the ball on following up w/ her regarding the booking? Part of me feels weird knowing about what she went through but not mentioning anything and going on like I don't know. I wonder if she knows that I know. The other part of me worries about bringing up such a terrible pain. I don't want to be rude or insensitive.

Oct 28, 2009
  2. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

It's much better to address it, offer condolences, and move on than to pretend like it never happened. It's like the elephant in the room if it goes unsaid.

Oct 28, 2009
  3. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

Friends who have faced a devastating loss tell me that it's never too late to offer condolences.

Oct 28, 2009
  4. Pedey

Pedey Member

Completely agree with the ladies above. Don't act like it never happened. He lived, he died & it was a huge deal for her. Acknowledge it but don't dwell. It's sweet of you to be so concerned about handling it right.

Oct 28, 2009
Have something to add?