• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should You Address Personal Tragedy in Professional Correspondence?

In summary, the conversation involved the speaker's attempt to follow up with a woman who expressed interest in hosting a show but never set a date. However, the woman's son passed away and the speaker struggled with whether or not to mention it in their communication. The general consensus is to acknowledge the loss and offer condolences before moving on with business matters.
babywings76
Gold Member
My sister hosted a show and there was a woman there who wanted to book. She didn't set a date and I tried following up with her. Months went by and we still never pinpointed a date. Then my sister told me that her son died in a tragic accident. I meant to send her a condolence card, but kept forgetting to. Now it's been several months.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from her. She wrote in reply to my mid-month newsletter I sent out about the HWC items. She said:

Hi Amanda!
I am thinking about hosting a catalog show in November. What do you think? How would I put it together? Let me know.
Thanks, Xxxxxx

So I'm wondering...do I just reply back to her answering her question and moving on with the PC info? Or do I mention being aware of the loss of her son and expressing my condolences and apologize for dropping the ball on following up w/ her regarding the booking? Part of me feels weird knowing about what she went through but not mentioning anything and going on like I don't know. I wonder if she knows that I know. The other part of me worries about bringing up such a terrible pain. I don't want to be rude or insensitive.

It's much better to address it, offer condolences, and move on than to pretend like it never happened. It's like the elephant in the room if it goes unsaid.

Friends who have faced a devastating loss tell me that it's never too late to offer condolences.

Completely agree with the ladies above. Don't act like it never happened. He lived, he died & it was a huge deal for her. Acknowledge it but don't dwell. It's sweet of you to be so concerned about handling it right.

Dear Xxxxxx,Thank you for reaching out to me about hosting a catalog show in November. I'm glad to hear that you are interested in hosting and I would be happy to help you put it together. I can provide you with all the information and materials you need to make it a successful event.Before we move forward, I wanted to take a moment to express my condolences for the loss of your son. I am deeply sorry for your loss and I can only imagine the pain and grief you must be going through. I wanted to send you a condolence card, but unfortunately, I kept forgetting to do so. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.I completely understand if you would prefer to focus on something positive, like hosting a catalog show, and not bring up such a painful topic. Please know that I am here for you whenever you need me and I am more than happy to assist you with any questions you may have about hosting a show.Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to working with you in November.Best regards,
Amanda

1. What happens if a host passes away before their scheduled party?

In the unfortunate event that a host passes away before their scheduled party, the party can be cancelled or rescheduled. Our consultants are understanding and will work with you to find the best solution for your situation.

2. Will I still be responsible for hosting the party if my family member dies?

No, you will not be held responsible for hosting the party if a family member passes away. We understand that this is a difficult time and will work with you to find a solution that works for you.

3. Can I still earn host rewards if my family member dies?

Yes, you can still earn host rewards if your family member passes away. Our consultants will work with you to find the best way to honor your loved one and still provide you with the host rewards you deserve.

4. Can I cancel or reschedule my party if a family member dies?

Yes, you can cancel or reschedule your party if a family member passes away. Our consultants will be understanding and work with you to find the best solution for your situation.

5. How should I inform my consultant about the death of a family member?

You can inform your consultant about the death of a family member by calling or emailing them directly. They will be understanding and work with you to find the best solution for your situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• vhadley
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
vhadley
  • heidabear
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • texasteacher