• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Postage for Host Packs - Post Office Vent

I mean, I don't know how much it costs...it's just a pain to go to the post office during their hours.The postmaster at a nearby post office said that when you drop those packages off and there's a line, you don't have to wait. They just need someone to see who left the package.
kam
Staff member
I work full time so it is a hassle to get to the post office during their hours unless I go during my lunch break. (I hate wasting my lunch break on the post office!!) And to top it off, 1 of the post offices in my area closes during lunch hours!!

So, I picked up some of those Priority Mail packs and some $4.60 stamps. I thought I was being SO smart that I could just place my host pack in and drop it off at the Post Office any old time.

Well, now I see that anything over 13 oz has to be dropped off at the counter and cannot go into a mailbox or slot. Ugh!

I can put it in my mailbox at home - but it won't fit.

How does everyone else do this? I mail 3 cattys, 40 invites and some loose paper w/instructions and specials in a folder. I really don't think this weighs less than 13 oz??? Does anyone know how much their host packs weigh? Am I destined to have to be at the post office during their hours???

I am looking for ideas - but just frustrated now with the post office.

I go to http://www.usps.com and print the shipping label that way. It costs the same ($4.60) but it includes delivery confirmation for free when you do it online. I then schedule a pick up and leave the Priority Mail pack on my front porch for the mailman to pick up when he comes for the mail. I can do it the night before and he'll pick it up the next day. Even if you could put it in your home mailbox, you aren't allowed - it has to be hand-delivered at a Post Office or you have to schedule a pick up. I work FT, too, so I know how precious that lunch hour can be! Trust me, this is the best way - I love it! :)

I have a wonderful friend who is the postmaster at a nearby post office. She said that when you drop those packages off and there's a line, you don't have to wait. They just need someone to see who left the package. Per her instructions, if I'm in the big town of Peru and there's a line, I just walk over to a side area of the counter, wave a bit to get a postal employee's attention, and leave the package on the counter. It keeps me from wasting valuable time standing in line.Other than that, yes, I have to take my packages during the hours they're open.

I don't know how much it weighs but I do know our post office has a scale out in lobby that is open after hours that you can mail stuff on. My best friend at the PO is the Automated Postal Center. If your PO has them get familiar with them, they come in great use in cases like yours. I know our smaller towns around here don't have them but maybe there is a PO close by that does have one. You can mail packages, buy stamps, etc all with the touch of your finger. I don't even go to the PO during normal business hours any more because it can all be done 24/7 at the APC.

Obviously Cathy and I were typing at the same time. I use USPS.com as well. I love it. If I use that website, I get free tracking on my package. That lets me see exactly when a package was delivered.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I have a small postal scale (up to 5lbs.) at home that I use to weigh my packages, but the Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes can hold a lot and it doesn't matter how much you put in there - it costs the same. You do need to key in how much it weighs, but mine are usually around 1lb. 10 oz. or so (3-5 catalogs, order forms, etc.). HTH!

So I can just schedule a pickup? Even if I already have the envelopes and stamps - or do I have to pay for the postage online too?

I did not realize we could do this.

cathyskitchen said:
You do need to key in how much it weighs,...

Do I have to put on the pack how much it weighs?

You need to go through USPS.com in order to arrange a pickup. You can print a label without the postage and use your stamps.Yes, you'll need to know the weight of the package. (The website will ask you.) I use a digital kitchen scale.

With the flat rate envelopes, you also get free delivery confirmation on usps.com scheduled delivery! I LOVE that. I think you have to purchase postage on there? But maybe not?

raebates said:
You need to go through USPS.com in order to arrange a pickup. You can print a label without the postage and use your stamps.

Yes, you'll need to know the weight of the package. I use a digital kitchen scale.

Excellent! Thanks everyone for letting me know about this.

I can use a kitchen scale to get the weight. Is this because the website asks for the weight or do we have to write it on the envelope somewhere?

Now I can't wait to try it!
Thanks!

I think it will track even when you print a label without postage. Could be wrong, though.Kathleen, you don't need to write the postage on the package. When you create a label at USPS.com, it will ask the weight. It will calculate the postage based on weight. (You have to enter it, even if you're using a flat rate box or envelope.)I'm a huge fan of USPS.com. It takes just a few minutes to set up your account.

Thank you! I am going to go set up my account now!

I think you'll love usps.com - hopefully it will solve your Post Office problems. Let us know how it works for you! :)

Wow, sounds like I need to be checking out USPS.com!

I use usps.com too...other sites CHARGE you to print postage, this doesn't!

Plus...it looks quite professional to print off a label that has my return address and the hosts address so neat like that!

You can print off the postage online and get around the "dropping it at the post office personally" because your information is then held by USPS. They know who printed off the postage. They changed the policy (added if it was >13 oz. that you have to go into the po) because of the lunatics that live in this country and mail bombs and such. Printing it out online is a lifesaver for me! The priority "flat rate" envies just barely fit into my mailbox, I just have to bend them slightly.

This may be a dumb question, but what kind of paper do you use to print your postage labels? Do you use a certain kind of Avery Label, or just plain paper, or what?

ChefBeckyD said:
This may be a dumb question, but what kind of paper do you use to print your postage labels? Do you use a certain kind of Avery Label, or just plain paper, or what?

I was wondering that too! I think I read on their website before that you either print to a whole-page label, or print to a regular sheet of paper and tape it on.

The taping-on idea wasn't sounding too great to me, so I can't wait to hear what others say!

I print mine onto regular white paper and then tape it on with clear packing tape...

I print and tape also. No need to buy special labels---do it the easy way!

ljeffries said:
I print and tape also. No need to buy special labels---do it the easy way!

I agree...and the CHEAP WAY!! ;)

KellyTheChef said:
I print mine onto regular white paper and then tape it on with clear packing tape...
Okay - thanks! I just wondered if there was something special the USPS required.

I love usps.com!! I found out that when you print your label and postage online you can drop them in the po box! The last pick up at my po is 8pm during the week, so I love that!!

I just put the priority mail package in my mailbox. My mail lady hasn't said anything about it weighing more than the amount and always takes it.

Hmm, I was told by the post office that I had to either hand it to them or schedule a pick up for anything over a pound. But, that was last summer - it could have changed. I'm going to have to research this!

My carrier will take it too, but scheduling a pick up is the way to guarantee that they'll take it.I also do what Rae said--if I'm just dropping off, I go to the side of the counter and just say "Hey, can I leave these here?" and they always say yes. :)I love usps.com. I hardly EVER go to the PO anymore.

I have been putting 3 catalogs in the envelope with host show info and dropping it in the mailbox. It might be just a bit over the 13 oz limit but so far no problem. I also do postage for "bound printed" which is $1.96.

Careful with "bound printed." I've heard conflicting info that 1) you can't include sales info (catalog); or 2) the entire contents have to be bound into one unit using at least semi-permanent binding (heavy-duty staple is OK, ring binder is not). And it's a space-available type of shipping, so the PO doesn't have to get it out right away.

Ditto to what Ann said. I talked to my PO about this and they said catalogs only. No seperate order forms (they must be bound in the catalog), no Host letters, no flyers, no invitations. And, it 'could' be delivered in 2 days or 2 weeks.

Wow!I dread going to the Post Office, and I very seldom get there before they close. I live a block from the PO and they don't deliver to my house. I have to be there to pick it up by 4:45. She opens at 7 but mail isn't sorted till 10:30, she goes to lunch from 12 to 1, then her window closes at 4:30 sharp no exceptions! I think her attitude does not help. A lot of times I'll go to one by my work on the way home, if I remember. So I know I'll love this site!Thank You:love:

Last edited:
mombird4 said:
I dread going to the Post Office, and I very seldom get there before they close. I live a block from the PO and they don't deliver to my house. I have to be there to pick it up by 4:45. She opens at 7 but mail isn't sorted till 10:30, she goes to lunch from 12 to 1, then her window closes at 4:30 sharp no exceptions! I think her attitude does not help. A lot of times I'll go to one by my work on the way home, if I remember. So I know I'll love this site!Thank You:love:

Gee, I live in PA too and one of the Post Office closes for lunch from 12-1 too! And they open at 8 and close at 4:30! Working fulltime when do they expect that I can possibly get there?? It is a pain since this is the PO that is most convenient to my other errands at lunch! I had never heard of a Post Office closing at lunch until I moved here - but we have some really small towns with small post offices!

I JUST thought of something....

What about those shipping places that handle Post Office Business - I am not sure about the UPS store (they add a surcharge to USPS prices) - but there are other shipping stores that handle Post Office items - and they are open later! I guess I could just drop off a packet at one of those places! I just need to find one close by!

Does anyone know if they have a problem just taking USPS packages (without actually having you buy anything from them?)

Ok - silly question...

Do you just set up an account at USPS and enter a CC #? I assume they just deduct it like a debit transaction?

I love my automated friend at the PO - it's nice to weigh, pay and drop my packages after hours. It would be even nicer if I could just DROp them in the little schute and jump back in my car.

PO's are not really very cozy after hours ya know...

PCGINA said:
Ok - silly question...

Do you just set up an account at USPS and enter a CC #? I assume they just deduct it like a debit transaction?

I love my automated friend at the PO - it's nice to weigh, pay and drop my packages after hours. It would be even nicer if I could just DROp them in the little schute and jump back in my car.

PO's are not really very cozy after hours ya know...
Yeah, that's all you do. So easy!!

All three of the PO's in my town have a drive thru to the mailboxes so you don't even have to get out of your car! I never realized how lucky we are! Oh, and the lobby's stay open until 8pm!

Wow- my PO has a 24/7 lobby. And there's another branch about the same distance from my house (other direction, though) that's actually manned 24/7.

Only an hour lunch? The PO near me is closed 1 to 3 every day for lunch. Though the area where the post boxes are is open 24/7, the counter part is not so if you want postage or even an envelope, no deal between 1 and 3pm. Hours of 8:30 to 1pm then 3pm to something... probably 5, if not earlier.

I know I probably shouldn't be doing this, but I have a UPS account and you can get free white labels from their website. I use them for both USPS and UPS. I also use plain paper and tape when I don't have the labels from UPS.

lkprescott said:
Only an hour lunch? The PO near me is closed 1 to 3 every day for lunch. Though the area where the post boxes are is open 24/7, the counter part is not so if you want postage or even an envelope, no deal between 1 and 3pm. Hours of 8:30 to 1pm then 3pm to something... probably 5, if not earlier.

Yes, the PA post offices are WAY too Old School for me! :D

cathyskitchen said:
Yes, the PA post offices are WAY too Old School for me! :D

It's sad when 'banker's hours' are more reasonable thank post office hours. LOL...

lkprescott said:
It's sad when 'banker's hours' are more reasonable thank post office hours. LOL...

LOL - Banker's Hours are now like Retail Hours these days! The post office is the only one who is still closed on Sundays anymore!!

Thanks for all of this information. All of my questions got answered before I posted (sometimes it pays to read the whole thread before posting!).

Be thankful for USPS. I mailed an envelope with a veggie peeler, a catalog, and a spreader in it to an address that I can drive to in 35 minutes, here in Ontario Canada. I paid over $9.00 to mail it. I couldn't belive it! The kicker? In Ontario, you pay taxes on postage!!!

yankeeinontario said:
Be thankful for USPS. I mailed an envelope with a veggie peeler, a catalog, and a spreader in it to an address that I can drive to in 35 minutes, here in Ontario Canada. I paid over $9.00 to mail it. I couldn't belive it! The kicker? In Ontario, you pay taxes on postage!!!
OMG! I am definitely thankful for our USPS!

pamperedharriet said:
Thanks for all of this information. All of my questions got answered before I posted (sometimes it pays to read the whole thread before posting!).

Don't you just love it when that happens! ;)

kam said:
I JUST thought of something....

What about those shipping places that handle Post Office Business - I am not sure about the UPS store (they add a surcharge to USPS prices) - but there are other shipping stores that handle Post Office items - and they are open later! I guess I could just drop off a packet at one of those places! I just need to find one close by!

Does anyone know if they have a problem just taking USPS packages (without actually having you buy anything from them?)

Well, it's certainly not a "shipping place", but at least two local Meijer stores in my area can sell stamps, print postage, ship certain type/size packages and a few other "basic" PO services. THAT is so helpful because I can combine my PO, shopping and banking (my bank has a small branch in Meijer as well) into one trip. With my three kids typically in tow, that makes life SOOOOO easy. Plus, I can bribe the kids with the 1 cent pony rides at Meijer and a chocolate shake from the McDonald's we pass on the way out of the parking lot.:rolleyes:

1. How can I avoid having to go to the post office during their limited hours to mail my host packs?

One option is to use Priority Mail packs and stamps. This allows you to drop off your host packs at the post office at any time.

2. Can I put my host pack in my mailbox at home?

If your host pack is over 13 oz, you cannot put it in your mailbox. It must be dropped off at the post office counter.

3. How can I estimate the weight of my host pack?

The weight of your host pack will depend on the contents, such as catalogs, invites, and loose paper. You can use a kitchen scale or visit a post office to get an accurate weight.

4. Is there a specific weight limit for host packs?

There is no specific weight limit for host packs. However, if your pack is over 13 oz, it must be dropped off at the post office counter.

5. Are there any other options for mailing my host packs besides going to the post office?

You can also use a package drop box or schedule a pickup with USPS. These options may be more convenient if you are unable to go to the post office during their hours.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pattikake
  • susanr613
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
jwpamp
  • DebPC