• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Planning the Perfect Luau Party for a Host with Big Dreams

I got a lovely one at Meijer a week or so ago. It was beautifully golden, and smelled so good. I laughed at the people who were picking the biggest ones out of the bin, because they were all still green. But they thought that bigger was better.
ChefJeniLobdell
I have a host that would like a Luau party. She wants to have shisk-ka-bobs (sp?), a dessert, appetizers, etc.

I told her I normally make 1 -2 things at a show. Any recommendations on what to make. One of her guests had been to one of my shows and mentioned the Chicken Curry dip. She said she may want to have that.

She wants this to be a large party and is really exited. She has lots of Luau decorations, plates, etc. because her husband through her a suprise 30 bday luau party last year.

The host would also be interested in the show being interactive with guests helping.

This a a tall order. She is a really sweet lady and very excited so I want to plan a fun, successful show for her (and me of course).

Any ideas?

First off, definitely stick to your guns that you do XX recipes, and you aren't going to make more. You're not a caterer - you're there to sell tools. If she wants to make additional food for her guests, fine, but stress that what she makes should also be simple, or else everyone there will think that they have to have all that if they host and it'll look too hard.

Luaus are usually pork, so the microwave pork would be a fantastic recipe for a luau. I made it last week with Asian seasoning on it, and grilled fresh pineapple (grilled in the grill pan) and rice (micro rice cooker). While it's in the microwave, you can do a tropical dessert. I'm thinking a trifle with pineapple in it.

And maybe a pitcher of pina coladas or something fun like that.

I know. I get suckered into cooking more than I need to. Just trying to please everyone. Definitely will stick to my guns and do only two recipes.

I printed off the rice cooker recipes. How did you prepare your rice? I figured I would prepare the rice fist and then the pork. She is planning on making margaritas so I won't have to worry about a drink.

In June I am planning on doing a meals in minutes party. Thought I would prepare the rice and tenderloin or tenderloin and micro cake.

Thanks so much for your input!

I make standard long-grain rice according to the rice cooker directions (standard water/rice ratio, HIGH for 5 minutes, MED for 15). Then I added a little butter and salt when I fluffed the rice with a fork. It sat, covered, while the pork was cooking and was fine.

Perfect. What do you think about adding a little finely chopped green pepper or onion to it while it cooks. Then maybe after tossing in some chopped up pineapples? I am not sure if the pepper and onion would soften up in that time.

I think they'd be Ok. That sounds really good.

If you do the show in a kitchen or have a portable burner (it's a single electric unit, can get them at Wally World or some drug stores), I'd do grilled pineapple in the grill pan instead of just opening a can. Then you can show how to process a pineapple (they scare many people), and show off cookware.

chefann said:
I think they'd be Ok. That sounds really good.

If you do the show in a kitchen or have a portable burner (it's a single electric unit, can get them at Wally World or some drug stores), I'd do grilled pineapple in the grill pan instead of just opening a can. Then you can show how to process a pineapple (they scare many people), and show off cookware.

Pineapple! I love pineapple! Interesting fact I learned this morning - I was watching RR - which I never do - but it happened to catch my ear this morning - A Dr. was on there(didn't catch his name, but he was very cute!) touting a book called "The Cure".....he had alot of interesting food facts - but the one about pineapple was that Pineapple, when eaten with a fatty food, acts as negative calories. There is a chemical in pineapple that reacts with the fat and draws it away and out of the body!
So when you are serving that pineapple (On the Aloha Pizza - or with something else) you can share that great fact!

That's a great fact! I love things like that.

I also love pineapple. mmmm...... I got a lovely one at Meijer a week or so ago. It was beautifully golden, and smelled so good. I laughed at the people who were picking the biggest ones out of the bin, because they were all still green. But they thought that bigger was better.

chefann said:
That's a great fact! I love things like that.

I also love pineapple. mmmm...... I got a lovely one at Meijer a week or so ago. It was beautifully golden, and smelled so good. I laughed at the people who were picking the biggest ones out of the bin, because they were all still green. But they thought that bigger was better.

I got a GREAT one at Meijers last week too! Kudos to their Produce Buyer!:D

Another pretty idea w/ pineapple - For my niece's Bridal Shower, I made fruit kabobs w/ pineapple chunks, strawberries, watermelon & cantaloupe balls. I cut a pineapple in half horizontally, used the bottom half for the chunks and the top half (with the fronds) I set in the middle of the Round SA platter. I stuck all the skewers in around the pineapple, and then added more loose fruit around the bottom of the pineapple! It was so cute - and everyone was taking pictures of it at the party!

I have only tried to peell, core and slice a pineapple once. The santoku didn't seem to stay real close to the sides to get all the skin off. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Anyone else had luck with this?

I do love the taste of pineapple, especially grilled.

It's worked OK for me.On Good Eats last night, AB peeled a pineapple AFTER cutting it into 8th and coring it. He laid it down on the table, like fileting a fish. Maybe that technique will work better for you.

He is so great. I saw him at a show down here this past fall. It was really neat seeing him do a show in person.

I will have to try that.

Thanks.

chefann said:
...I also love pineapple. mmmm...... I got a lovely one at Meijer a week or so ago. It was beautifully golden, and smelled so good...

ME TOO!! I got several at the Dole Plantation on the North Shore of Oahu last week... they DID NOT make it back to the motel....we ate them BOTH on the grounds ~~ THEN washed it down with Pineapple Dole Whip ...

I am sure the pineapple stripped any FAT calories out of it....Right?? :D

Related to Planning the Perfect Luau Party for a Host with Big Dreams

1. How do I choose a theme for my luau party?

Choosing a theme for your luau party can be as simple as picking your favorite tropical destination or incorporating elements of Hawaiian culture, such as hula dancing or traditional music. You can also add a fun twist by incorporating a specific color scheme or theme, like "Tiki Time" or "Beach Bash".

2. What are some essential items to have at a luau party?

Some essential items to have at a luau party include tropical decorations like palm leaves and tiki torches, Hawaiian-inspired food and drinks, and fun activities like a limbo contest or hula dancing. You may also want to consider providing leis for your guests to wear and creating a playlist of island-inspired music to set the mood.

3. How can I make my luau party feel authentic?

To make your luau party feel authentic, consider incorporating traditional Hawaiian elements like a pig roast, a fire pit for roasting marshmallows, and tropical fruits like pineapples and coconuts. You can also use natural materials like bamboo and seashells for decorations and serve classic Hawaiian dishes like poke and kalua pork.

4. What are some fun luau party games and activities?

Some fun luau party games and activities include a hula hoop contest, a pineapple bowling game, and a scavenger hunt for hidden seashells or leis. You can also set up a photo booth with props like flower crowns and grass skirts for your guests to take fun pictures and create lasting memories.

5. How can I accommodate guests with dietary restrictions?

To accommodate guests with dietary restrictions, consider offering a variety of options for your food and drinks, including vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free options. You can also label each dish with a list of ingredients to help guests with allergies or dietary restrictions make informed choices. Additionally, consider asking guests to RSVP with any dietary restrictions so you can plan accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Shanz
  • Suzyengl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • melissaboyd