• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Salsa Making Success: Salad Chopper vs. Core & More & Sankoku Knife

In summary, the conversation involves a recipe for pineapple salsa using a salad chopper. Some people have had success with the recipe, but others did not enjoy it due to the strong flavor of the red onion. Suggestions were made to use less onion or to rinse the onion after chopping it. Some also mentioned using different types of onions, such as a sweet onion.
pkd09
Silver Member
Has anyone bypassed the Core & More & Sankoku Knife in this recipe and used the Salad Chopper? Remember the past version of salsa we had using the Salad Chopper for guests to make salsa?

Yep! Worked perfectly! I did the "sturdier" ingredients first, then added the pineapple and lastly the tomatoes. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

I love the pineapple salsa!

Yep, I used the chopper. Worked like a charm.I like the salsa okay, but I'm not sure I'd do it for a show around here. I think you need to be someone who likes the sweet/spicy of a fruit salsa to really enjoy it. That isn't necessarily a huge percentage of the people I'm meeting right now.

I loved this recipe - but it didn't have any kick to me, maybe that's because I took ALL of the jalapeno seeds out. I just served it with the Tostitos "hint of lime" chips (didn't have the time to make the homemade ones) and it was a big hit!!! I don't have the salad choppers, but I bet they do work well. I would think you could use the food chopper too.

We are making DCB Fajitas and Pineapple Salsa at my Man Show on Saturday!

I gave the host the option of the "salad chopper" salsa, or the Pineapple Salsa - and he chose the pineapple. I think I'm going to use the tools as written though, because it's more tools in the hands of the men.

I think I might make this again this weekend, we have friends coming over to play cards. I love this recipe! When I did it, I didn't have the core n' more so i just cut the centers out while chopping them up. Otherwise I just used the santuko for everything.

My neighbor guy stopped by my open house (after his wife left!) and I couldn't keep him out of the pineapple salsa. He LOVED it. (and bought the pineapple wedger and salad choppers so I can show him how to make his own!)

WOW, it must just be me, but I HATED this. And I SO wanted to love it.

I tried the day I made it and the next day to eat it and I thought it was terrible both times. It was all I could do to open the container a third time to throw it down the drain! :)

I have made it once using the salad choppers and love that, just didn't love the salsa... the onion taste was so strong, I'm not a huge onion fan but even the people that like onion didn't like it, so when I make it next time (and I will make it again) I will just totally leave out the onion, or possibly use a small sweet onion rather than the red onion. Then I think that it'll be great.

ChefPaulaB said:
I have made it once using the salad choppers and love that, just didn't love the salsa... the onion taste was so strong, I'm not a huge onion fan but even the people that like onion didn't like it, so when I make it next time (and I will make it again) I will just totally leave out the onion, or possibly use a small sweet onion rather than the red onion. Then I think that it'll be great.

I don't eat onions, so I usually leave onions out of most recipes, but in things like this, I will add the onion, just not as much as the recipe calls for.

I made it with very little red onion. It tasted bad, so I thought that I did not add enough onion, so I added more and it was still awful!

Maybe it was the red onion! I had NEVER bought or had red onion prior to this recipe, so maybe that's what it was.

I loved this... I've had only good things said about it too. I had boughten a large red onion and used half of it for this, and the other half for a pico slaw I do. Red onions are very strong though, I do not enjoy cutting them up.

ChefPaulaB said:

If you rinse the onions after you chop them, the flavor will mellow out.

And you could use that little strainer that goes in the cutting board with meas. cups to rinse them.

I wasn't too impressed with this, until I used it for the red pepper for the quiche lorraine tartlet, that had to be rinsed and dried, and then all of a sudden I LOVED it! : )

I didn't think this sounded good at all until I tried it. I LOVED it!! I actually have been craving it lately! LOL

What is the difference between the Salad Chopper and the Core & More?

The Salad Chopper and Core & More are both great tools for making salsa, but they have different functions. The Salad Chopper is designed to quickly chop and mix ingredients, while the Core & More is specifically designed to remove the core and seeds from fruits and vegetables. So, if you want chunkier salsa, the Salad Chopper is the way to go. If you prefer a smoother texture, the Core & More is your best bet.

Do I need to use both the Salad Chopper and the Core & More to make salsa?

No, you do not need to use both tools to make salsa. It depends on the type of salsa you prefer. If you like chunky salsa, the Salad Chopper alone will do the job. If you prefer a smoother texture, the Core & More can help remove the seeds and core before using the Salad Chopper to chop the remaining ingredients.

Can I use the Sankoku Knife for making salsa?

Yes, the Sankoku Knife is a versatile tool that can be used for many kitchen tasks, including making salsa. It is especially useful for finely chopping herbs, onions, and garlic. However, it may not be as efficient for larger fruits and vegetables as the Salad Chopper or Core & More.

Is the Salad Chopper or the Core & More better for making salsa?

Both the Salad Chopper and the Core & More are effective tools for making salsa. It ultimately comes down to personal preference and the type of salsa you prefer. If you like chunkier salsa, the Salad Chopper is a great choice. If you prefer a smoother texture, the Core & More can help remove the seeds and core before using the Salad Chopper to chop the remaining ingredients.

Can I use the Salad Chopper and Core & More for other recipes besides salsa?

Yes, both the Salad Chopper and Core & More can be used for a variety of recipes in addition to salsa. The Salad Chopper is great for chopping and mixing ingredients for salads, stir-fries, and more. The Core & More can be used to remove cores and seeds from various fruits and vegetables for any recipe that calls for it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AmyDare
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
hselby87
  • jenandnelson