1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Picking a piece of stoneware

1. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

I have the opportunity to pick up a piece of stoneware from a September show closing this week b/c the past host doesn't want it. It is a level 1 piece.

Here's what I have:

* Large bar pan
    * Large round stone with handles
    * DCB
    * Pie plate
    * Square baker (used more often than bar pan for small jobs, since I am single)
    * Mini baker
    * Fluted stone
    * Loaf pan, rarely used

Whatever I get, I'm leaning towards gifting or re-selling.

I'm already getting a rectangular baker as a gift for my sister, but see no need for one for myself, since I have the DCB.

I'm leaning towards either the small or medium bar pans or a metal sheet pan, also as a gift.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

The large bar pan would make a great gift and you cannot beat that price.

Oct 1, 2009
  3. PamperedChefLayla

PamperedChefLayla Member Gold Member

I love my small bar pan & the fluted pan

4. Jen1409

Jen1409 Member

ditto on the large bar pan

Oct 1, 2009
  5. Intrepid_Chef

My sister already has (had) the bar pan. It broke months ago and she never got around to turning it in. She will have a new one soon.

She is the only member of my family who is sold on stoneware. My stepmother bought one at my first show, then returned it when she found out she couldn't soap it or put it in the dishwasher. That's why I'm thinking large sheet pan. This was before we had the metal pans.

I'm kind of tempted on the rectangular baker .. my best selling stoneware, but there's really nothing I can do in that that I can't do in the DCB.

6. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

I finally bought myself a deep dish baker. do you have that one?

Oct 1, 2009
  7. Intrepid_Chef

The pie plate? Yes, I do.

8. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

Just a note, the DCB is not a level 1 choice for host special.

Oct 1, 2009
  9. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

On another note, I would go with the large bar pan! :)

Oct 1, 2009
  10. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

The Deep Dish Baker is different than the pie plate. It has straight up and down sides where the pie plate is slanted (if that makes any sense) and the total width of the bottom is bigger... I really like my Deep Dish Baker, I use for quite a few dips and for cinnamon crisp, I even like it for meatloaf, more topping on every bite!

Oct 1, 2009
  11. Rosechef

Rosechef Member

There is a lot you can do with the rectangular baker....I use it for making lasagne, large roasts with potatoes...The deep covered baker is great, but it's smaller and you can't do large roasts with it. I've had mine for years and I love it. Sheet cakes come out great in it too.

I just got the medium metal sheet pan. I'm really impressed by the weight of it. I used it last night and it cleaned up like a breeze.

Oct 2, 2009
  12. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

My votes are for the Rectangle Baker or the Deep Dish Baker.

For some reason, I use the Deep Dish Baker tons.

Here are some PC recipes for the DDB (most of the recipes are from SBs and Use&Care):

Touchdown Taco Dip
    Beef Enchilada Casserole
    Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
    Pan-Asian Meatballs
    Chicken Tortilla Casserole
    Zucchini Deep Dish Pie
    Sun-Dried Tomato & Sausage Risotto
    Taco Grande
    Lemony Chicken Popover Puff
    Herb Roasted Chicken
    Easy Oven-Roasted Chicken
    Savory Pork Roast with Apple Stuffing
    Deep Dish Antipasto Pizza
    Sicilian Roast Chicken
    Deep Dish BLT Pizza
    Apple Cranberry Popover Puff
    Mom's Apple Crisp
    Quick Apple Crisp
    Apple Nut Ring
    Garden Fresh Oven Omelet
    Ham & Cheddar Croissant Bake
    Waffle Berry Bread Pudding
    Tres Leches Cake
    Deep Dish Almond-Apple Pie
    Molten Chocolate Tunnel Cake

There is also a really good Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cake in All the Best that I think bakes in the DDB.

Oct 2, 2009
  13. ChefPaulaB

Another one that I make in it is the Hot Pizza Dip (All the Best?), I double it and use the DDB, always a huge hit... if I don't double it it's never enough!

Oct 2, 2009
  14. Intrepid_Chef

Every time I see DDB in a recipe, I swap the DCB instead. Works like a charm.

Right now I'm leaning toward getting the large bar pan, with the intention of selling it at 20 percent off at Christmas to someone who needs a last minute gift.

Also leaning toward the small bar pan, because I am single.

I'm resisting the DDB because a) I can't think of a single thing I'd use it for that I can't swap the pie plate or rectangular baker or DCB and b) I have the mini baker and have never used it once.

The rectangular baker IS a big hit with my customers ... I just wonder how often I'd use it. Also ... I'm running out of places to store all the stoneware!

At this point, I am also thinking of getting a small bar pan at 30 percent off on a past host's order.

15. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

Ahhh...
    I use my mini-baker a lot, too. So I love the Deep Dish Baker for doubling. We entertain a lot so many times I am using a Mini-Baker and 2 Deep Dish Bakers depending on the dips we are serving.

Oct 2, 2009
  16. jackieblue

jackieblue Member

If you use a toaster oven, I would say the small bar pan. That's what I use mine for and it works great.

It would be nice to have a rectangular baker to match your DCB when you want to do a cake or something to go with whatever you cook in the DCB. The DDB (with the cover on outlet) is great to bring dips or other stuff to potlucks. The medium bar pan might be nice for you cooking dishes for yourself in the oven when the large bar pan is too much and you are already using the square baker or it's not as appropriate.

Gosh, I am not a lot of help. I have most of them and I use them all for different things at different times.

Oct 2, 2009
  17. Intrepid_Chef

Actually, I think four pork chops or 2 chicken breasts would fit PERFECT on the small bar pan. Am I under estimating its size?

I do have a toaster oven but rarely use it. I kind of think that I might take it to work once in a while to do things in there .... they do not have a tray in there and I won't use it unless I bring my own foil. But I don't know if I'd want to haul it back and forth to work and I SURE would not trust them not to put soap on it!

I have a square baker that matches my DCB and I use it for brownies all the time ... also in place of a small bar pan. I don't make a lot of sheet cakes ... I prefer layer cakes from the torte pans.

18. KaiKendall

KaiKendall Member Gold Member

I use my small bar ALL the time for microwave stuff... for my son chicken nuggets or tater tots. I make those chewy frozen pretzles on it, they come out perfect. sometimes i've even used it as a 'lid' on my mini baker (which i also use ALL the time since its just me and my son right now. I can cut any DCB recipe in half and use the mini). I like it cause it's the perfect size for the microwave.

Oct 3, 2009
  19. Lisa/ChefBear

Lisa/ChefBear Veteran Member Gold Member

You need to do like I did where I used to work...........bring in my own bar pan, use, clean and lock in drawer in desk. I had pot holders, Mini Serving Spatula, Twixits, and a few other things. I used to drive them crazy, :D:chef::D when I was craving chocolate and could go out at lunch and buy small jiffy brownie mix and things needed, bring it back and whip a batch up. :D . If only we would have had single cute deputies working at that time, as that was a sure what to get them to come to the office, or even the probation guys would come over, smelled the chocolate.

Lisa

20. ChefPaulaB

I think you are over estimating the size... I cannot imagine 4 pork chops on the small bar pan... Possibly 2 small chicken breasts or one large...

Oct 5, 2009
  21. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

We do two chicken breasts on the medium bar pan all the time. If you have the small sheet pan it's about the same size.

Oct 5, 2009
Have something to add?