• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Photos of the I-35W Bridge Collapse

In summary, the photos from the Feasting on Asphalt show that the concrete decking on the bridges did not collapse despite the weight of the trains that passed over it.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
I received http://www.conphoto.net/collapse.html today from a friend who lives in the area.

ADVISORY: While these are stunning photographs, they may also evoke a great deal of emotion.

http://www.conphoto.net/collapse.html. Follow the link and click on Start Slide Show.

These are great - thanks for sharing, KG.The 2 that really stand out for me are number 675 and 716.The new season of Feasting on Asphalt started last night. This year, AB and his crew are traveling up the River Road, paralleling the Mississippi River. I wonder what they'll do when they reach Minnesota.

Cross one of the other bridges. That open spandrel bridge to the side is a stunning piece of design.I'm amazed at how well the concrete decking held up through the collapse.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Cross one of the other bridges.
That's not what I meant. I know they can get around (and the whole series is probably done filming already). I meant I hope they do some sort of tribute on that episode.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'm amazed at how well the concrete decking held up through the collapse.
Me, too. Some of those slabs look like they could be reused for something.

Oh, I know. I just couldn't help myself.Image 720 really struck me - look how much that pier shifted. The force required to move that pier is immeasurable. It begs the question - did the pier shift as a result of the collapse, or did the pier shift and cause the collapse? Erosion around the footing of the pier could cause it to shift, but that would have to be an awful lot of scour to make that happen.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oh, I know. I just couldn't help myself.

Image 720 really struck me - look how much that pier shifted. The force required to move that pier is immeasurable.

It begs the question - did the pier shift as a result of the collapse, or did the pier shift and cause the collapse? Erosion around the footing of the pier could cause it to shift, but that would have to be an awful lot of scour to make that happen.

Friday on our local news the guy form the NTSB (I thinik that was it?) Kept saying that the shift happened because of the fall. He would not say and kept being specific that he was NOT saying that the fall happened because of the shift.

Also the news people were looking at the Google hit top 30 and Minneapolis had like 4 searches in the top 20.

All the coverage seems kinda surreal to me.

Thanks for the link. Incredible photos. Many of them call to mind 9/11 and OKC. I look at 637 and 668 and think about the ride so many people took. I'm amazed ANY of the piers are left standing. I'm also stunned that the entire bridge fell - one or two sections I can imagine, but not the whole thing.

And think of how much force it took to crush those train cars...

Wow.

MomToEli said:
Thanks for the link. Incredible photos. Many of them call to mind 9/11 and OKC.
That exact thought went through my mind when I looked at them as well.

That should probably scare you - that you're on the same wavelength as me. :)

chefann said:
That exact thought went through my mind when I looked at them as well.

That should probably scare you - that you're on the same wavelength as me. :)
Well, yes .. it does :D It must be from getting my picture taken with that fruit hat ...

Apparently, clean up starts this morning.

I felt the same thing about the 911 ...
what stunned me...as I'm in Istanbul right now and can't watch the news coverage on it so these are the first pics i've seen...is how those THICK HEAVY metal beams are bent like a shirt hanger!

What made it fall? I'm gathering that the construction was deemed bad in the early 1990's right?

I have family up there, we've visited many times in my life, my parents were calling relatives, and they all are fine...

it's a shame all the natural disasters, crimes, and terrorist activities in the world today.
So much to pray for!

As of right now, no one knows what made it collapse. Terrorism is not on the list of possible causes, though.

Related to Photos of the I-35W Bridge Collapse

1. What caused the I-35W bridge collapse?

The collapse of the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis on August 1, 2007 was caused by a design flaw in the bridge's gusset plates, which are steel plates that connect the bridge's steel beams. The weight of construction materials and heavy traffic on the bridge also contributed to the collapse.

2. Were there any fatalities or injuries in the bridge collapse?

Unfortunately, there were 13 fatalities and 145 injuries reported from the bridge collapse. It was a tragic event that deeply affected the community.

3. What changes were made to prevent future bridge collapses?

After the I-35W bridge collapse, there were several changes made to prevent future bridge collapses, including inspections of all bridges nationwide, stricter design and construction standards, and increased funding for infrastructure maintenance and repairs.

4. Are there any memorials or commemorations for the I-35W bridge collapse?

Yes, there is a memorial garden located near the site of the collapse, as well as a plaque honoring the victims and first responders. Every year on August 1st, the community holds a remembrance ceremony to honor the lives lost and those affected by the tragedy.

5. Can I find photos of the I-35W bridge collapse online?

Yes, there are many photos of the I-35W bridge collapse available online. However, please be respectful and mindful of the sensitive nature of the event when viewing and sharing these photos.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
chefkugler
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies