• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Paring Knives - Which Size Is Best?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between two paring knives, one being 3 inches and the other 3 1/2 inches. The group agrees that it ultimately depends on personal preference and hand size, but the 3 1/2 inch is recommended for those with larger hands. They also mention that both knives are very sharp and should be used carefully.
dancedivine
Hey, guys! I want to buy one of the high-quality paring knives, but I can't decide whether to buy the 3" vs. the 3 1/2".... What is the difference between these two knives?

Thanks!

I have both. I rarely use paring knives though (I prefer the utility or 5" santuko). But if I have to choose one of the paring knives I would use the 3 1/2 inch. The smallest one is just too small for most everything I do.

I have both. The job dictates which knife to use, so it's hard to recommend one to you. The Petite one is really small, though, so maybe go with the regular one--it's more of a "one size fits all" for everyone to try at your shows.

One warning: They are very, very sharp. I like the smaller 3" because I have a small hand. I will have to change the way I cut off the tips and tops of carrots after pealing them. I was holding the carrot in my left hand, and was cutting toward my thumb. From now on, I will lay the carrot on the cutting board and cut into the board. I have been in the habit of using our little green knife, and never had the blade do any harm. What a difference with the forged cutlery sharpness!!! It just scored the first layer
and fortunately did not pierce the skin - enough for me to have a very healthy respect for that knife, in the future.

The 3 1/2 inch is my recommendation.

I recommend the 3 1/2 also, but if you have small hands, as mentioned above, the 3" might suit you better. Is there someone around you (consultant) that would have both? I think it's really a "your call" kind of thing with how they feel in your hand.

Funny how we have preferences - I prefer the 3-inch. The 3 1/2 inch to me is just a short version of the 5-inch and it's too big for me to use as a paring knife. I have smaller hands and the 3-inch is perfect.

pamperedlinda said:
Funny how we have preferences - I prefer the 3-inch. The 3 1/2 inch to me is just a short version of the 5-inch and it's too big for me to use as a paring knife. I have smaller hands and the 3-inch is perfect.

I agree with this, I prefer the smaller size because it's easier to handle.

wadesgirl said:
I agree with this, I prefer the smaller size because it's easier to handle.

Me too!

For me, the 3 1/2 inch is the largest paring knife I've ever had. I never use it as a paring knife.

Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards the 3"....

I have the 3 1/2 and wish I had the 3 instead. The bigger one is a little too big for me to use easily as a paring knife.

Related to Paring Knives - Which Size Is Best?

1. What sizes are available for paring knives?

At Pampered Chef, we offer paring knives in three sizes: 3 inches, 4 inches, and 5 inches. Each size is designed for different tasks in the kitchen, so it's important to choose the right size for your needs.

2. What is the difference between the 3-inch and 4-inch paring knives?

The main difference between these two sizes is the length of the blade. The 3-inch paring knife is better for more precise tasks such as peeling and deveining, while the 4-inch paring knife is better for tasks that require a longer blade, such as slicing and trimming.

3. Which size paring knife is best for everyday use?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and the types of tasks you typically perform in the kitchen. However, for most people, the 4-inch paring knife is the most versatile and can handle a variety of everyday tasks with ease.

4. Is the 5-inch paring knife too big for small hands?

No, the 5-inch paring knife can still be comfortably used by those with smaller hands. The handle is designed to provide a secure grip and the blade is still manageable for tasks that require precision.

5. Can I use a paring knife for tasks other than peeling and slicing?

Absolutely! Paring knives can also be used for tasks such as deveining shrimp, removing seeds from fruits and vegetables, and even for carving small designs on fruits and vegetables for decorative purposes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• GourmetGirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jcsmilez
  • cheflorraine
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • jross93