• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Which Knives Do You Use Most Often?

what's the smallest knife in the block set?The Mini Santoku and the Serrated.5 inch santoku and chef's8" chef's.
cheflorraine
Gold Member
One of my hosts doesn't want her host special this month, so I'm asking her if I can use them (the show qualified for 2). The whole set would be nice, but I don't really want to spend that much right now.

So... which 2 knives would you recommend??

cheflorraine said:
One of my hosts doesn't want her host special this month, so I'm asking her if I can use them (the show qualified for 2). The whole set would be nice, but I don't really want to spend that much right now.

So... which 2 knives would you recommend??

Assuming you already have the Utility Knife....I would say the other 2 that I use the most are the Mini Santoku, and the Serrated.

5 inch santoku and chef's

8" chef's. I take it and use it at EVERY show -- explain how every household needs the chef's knife to do all tasks. I am now selling them at full price.

Utility and 7 in Santoku (I have 2 of each of them) Steak Knives are really great too! this time around we got a second set. Mara

5" santoku and 8" chef's knife

I also suggest the chefs knife and one of the santukos. I personally prefe the 7" as the other one is sometimes to small for some tasks.

Thanks everyone! I've watched the forged cutlery training videos on CC as well (and realized I need to practice my knife skills more), and think I'll go with the 5" Santoku and the Chef's Knife.

ChefBeckyD said:
Assuming you already have the Utility Knife....I would say the other 2 that I use the most are the Mini Santoku, and the Serrated.

I take these two to every show!

Ditto on the smaller Santoku- I use this for cutting up all of my veggies. My second fave is the utility knife, but you probably already have that. Next most used are the steak knives.

My forged cutlery collection is now complete! I have the block set, the carving set and 3 sets of the steak knives. Can you tell I love, love, love our cutlery? Everyone I convince to purchase them ends up loving them as much as I do.

wadesgirl said:
I take these two to every show!

Yeah, I know that everyone else seems to love the big knives, but for me, they just seem to be TOO big, except for the really big jobs - like cutting a melon, or a very large piece of meat. I can do just about everything I need to do with the utility, the mini santoku, and the serrated knives.

5" Santoku and Tomato (sm serrated?) knife for me! I think in my kitchen the small serrated gets the most use in the knife block.

5" Santoku and the Chef's Knife....since you're getting them at 60% off. When you have a chance, add the serrated knife. :D

ChefBeckyD said:
Yeah, I know that everyone else seems to love the big knives, but for me, they just seem to be TOO big, except for the really big jobs - like cutting a melon, or a very large piece of meat. I can do just about everything I need to do with the utility, the mini santoku, and the serrated knives.

I agree! I even share at my shows that I like to show those because I'm scared of the big knives - I also share that I'm a klutz! I own every knife but the chef's knife. I have not found a very good reason to buy that one yet.

I LOVE my 5" santoku but with this sale I have to say, I'd get the 7" santoku (get a big knife you already have the utility knife which is comparable to the 5" santoku in size - most people already have a chef's knife and even if not the santoku is different). For the second one, I'd go with the steak knife set - we use those knives every day for TONS of things. Both DH and I reach first for them often. If you don't want to get the steak knives then I suggest the Boning Knife. Lots of great uses for them and people like to see the "different" knives.

I have plenty of customers who already have top quality knives so, until they see the "odd" ones, don't think they need any. Now they LOVE their PC knives right along with their others!

I would say the santoku. I prefer the smaller, but either is good. I think they really get the WOW factor b/c they are different.

I find it neat to see how many use the Chef's knife and if I have used mine twice in the year i have owned the whole block, i'd be shocked. I wouldn't even know what to do with a boning knife! haha

Buying the whole set for under $14 each (12 items) is a great deal. I am going to get the whole thing, keep the ones I want and then use the rest for donations for prizes, etc. It will be a super expensive prize, that I only paid $14 for.

Always forged cutlery....5" santoku and utility knife

I use both of the Santoku knives and the utility knife the most. The bread knife is enormous, so sometimes I use that and other times I use the serrated knife instead. Melissa: I use the boning knife to fillet chicken breasts. ;)

Wow, no one mentioned the paring knife. I use the 3.5" paring knife EVERY day.

I use the boning knife to take that silver skin off of pork tenderloin, to take the skin off the back of ribs (makes it more tender quicker), for boning chicken. It's also great for boning fish but I don't do that. It's not a run of the mill knife so it's nice to be able to show it. Those that have good knives want it and men who fish need it...

Dotty said:
Wow, no one mentioned the paring knife. I use the 3.5" paring knife EVERY day.

I hated that knife (too small) but recently started using it and now I LOVE it for those small jobs!!

No, wait! I'm talking about the 3" petite paring knife! I still rarely use the 3.5" - I grab the utility or 5" santoku before that one every time.

I have a case where neither the past host nor the current host want the knives, so I'm in a similar boat. Couldn't afford the whole set if I could get it, even though it's a great deal.So since I already have the utility knife and the smaller santoku, I'm leaning toward the boning knife and either the 4 inch serrated or another utility knife to get as a gift. Don't see much use for the chef's knife, but maybe I should lean in that direction. I do have the green tomato knife and a complete set of green knives that I'm currently selling as cash and carry.

1. What types of knives do you recommend for everyday use?

For everyday use, we recommend a chef's knife, a paring knife, and a serrated bread knife. These three knives cover a wide range of tasks and are essential in any kitchen.

2. How often should I sharpen my knives?

It is recommended to sharpen your knives every 3-6 months, depending on how often you use them. You can also use a honing rod to maintain the sharpness of your knives in between sharpenings.

3. Can I use a dishwasher to clean my knives?

No, we do not recommend putting your knives in the dishwasher. The harsh detergents and high heat can damage the blades and handles. It is best to hand wash your knives with warm soapy water and dry them immediately.

4. What is the difference between a forged and a stamped knife?

A forged knife is made from a single piece of steel that is heated and shaped into a blade. This process creates a stronger and more durable knife. A stamped knife is made by cutting the blade shape from a large sheet of steel. Stamped knives are typically less expensive but may not be as strong as forged knives.

5. Can I use the same knife for cutting meat and vegetables?

It is not recommended to use the same knife for cutting raw meat and vegetables. This can increase the risk of cross-contamination. It is best to have separate knives for different types of food, such as one for meat and one for vegetables.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • PChefPEI
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • sarahsworld2000