• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Overcoming Frustration as a Parent of a Type 1 Diabetic Child

In summary, the conversation involves a mother of a 7-year-old daughter with type 1 diabetes who is frustrated with people constantly giving her unsolicited advice and asking invasive questions about her daughter's condition. She is annoyed by people who claim to have "magic cures" for diabetes, and she wishes for the real answers to why her daughter has the condition. Others in the conversation offer support and share similar experiences with dealing with insensitive comments.
Jennie4PC
I so have to get this off my chest. My DD is 7 yrs old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in June. I am so tired of people. 1 perseon asked me what I did for her to get it. Umm nothing. and in that same sentence she told me there are herbs for her to take so she will be "cured" of diabetes. Then someone else told me I should stay away from the insulin and controll it by diet. Her pancrease doesnt produce insulin. I guess I could cut all carbs out of her diet. Then the 1st person came back later and told me that immunizations did this to her. And then yesterday someone asked me if they could send me info on diabetes. I told them yes I would read it but I wont act apon it. They then proceded to tell me that in Great Britian some people are going on a 30 day fast and curing type 1 diabets. Thanks but I am not going to make my 7 yr old DD fast for 30 days. Just annoyed with everyone who thinks they know more about diabetes and my dd.
Thanks for reading I feel better now

I only wish it were that easy. When someone finds the REAL answers to why, I wish they would tell me! I was diagnosed 8 years ago. Gestational diabetes that never went away. Why? Who knows. Magic cures by fasting? Doubtful!!

I think people think they are trying to be helpful. But, it is very frustrating sometimes!

Brush it off to their lack of knowledge. I'm sorry to hear about your DD, and don't know very much about Type 1 myself. I just offer you hugs.

When I was pregnant with my first son someone told me that everyone would give me all kind of advice. I should listen and thank them and then do what I felt best. That is my advice to you. I am sorry your daughter (and you) have to go through this and I'll keep you all in my prayers. People for the most part are well-meaning but they can sure be a pain too!

Great advice, Beth! Prayers for you and your daughter, Jennie!

Thanks you guys.

I have an autistic son--OMG can I relate. He's 23 now, but all of his life people asked me 1) what I fed him to make him this way (I would tell them worms and pickles) 2) what i SHOULD feed him to "cure"the autism (no thanks, we are NOT cutting sugar/red food dye/white flour/ etc out and no I DON'T want to buy your supplements, no matter HOW many people have been cured with them) and 3) what my plans were for him for the future (geez, I don't know, can we get through this week?). I have a diabetic husband, I understand what you are going through. Hang in there. And smile sweetly and nod when people, who mean well, give you "their 2 cents worth".

haha. Worms & pickles. What a perfect answer to an insensitive clod! I will have to remember that one.
Jennie, you left out the worms in your daughter's diet....what a baaaaad mommie!

When my niece got older (high-school age) she volunteered for a group that coached & supported kids who had just been diagnosed. We were all proud of her.

Hang in there, hon.

I dont know what you are going through but most people that have twins (like me) constantly get asked personal questions, such as "was it natural?" my favorite is "are they twins?" i always so, "Nope, it was buy one get one free at the hospital!" i told someone that while we were at the beach once and her jaw dropped. I also love "are they identical?" my response: "are they both boys, because i thought i dressed one in pink!" LOL HUGS FOR YOU!

big hug jennie!!!
i can only imagine how you feel!!! i have type2 diabetes and since losing 60 pounds and eating healthier my blood sugar is much better and am off of my meds...soooooo....some uneducated people insist i am CURED.....arrrrgggghhhhhhh!!! i just had to explain to my mom today Why i can't just have a milkshake!
so feel free to vent away ANYTIME!! :)
~carla

SLDOWDY1978 said:
I dont know what you are going through but most people that have twins (like me) constantly get asked personal questions, such as "was it natural?" my favorite is "are they twins?" i always so, "Nope, it was buy one get one free at the hospital!" i told someone that while we were at the beach once and her jaw dropped. I also love "are they identical?" my response: "are they both boys, because i thought i dressed one in pink!"

LOL HUGS FOR YOU!

My friend had triplets who were born VERY early last August. They were in NICU for a long time and one of the babies way longer than the others. She posted on FB earlier this summer about the comments she got at the farmer's market. Like "wow, are they all girls" um, they were all dressed in pink she said. Or "you are living my nightmare" um, those girls struggled long and hard to make it to that point I don't consider that a nightmare but a blessing. And others!! She said it was so crazy!!

As a diabetic I can relate. Beth's advice is good. Many people are well-meaning but uninformed. Some are just idiots. Others are cruel idiots.

Sorry about your DD and for you.
Beth has good advice! We adopted two beautiful babies. Our daughter weighted 12 lbs 12 ozs due to gestational diabetes (she looked like a real life cabbage patch doll) developed Type II Diabetes. 4 months after receiving our 2 month old daughter, we received our newest addition (a one month old fetal drug and alcohol baby boy). We could raise them as twins!!! They are polar opposites in every sense of the word but beautiful 23 yr old adults. I have been asked what I put in my daughters hair to are they blood related. Marc has Asperger's Syndrome so they wanted to know how I fed both of them also. People can be very cruel in their ignorance but mostly amusing-we try to find the humor in it Love the worms!!! Definately will remember that line now that my husband has Diabetes and Parkinson's Disease (they will think he is drunk) lol!
Must laugh to stop from crying. Hugs.

I have a friend who is a type 1 diabetic. She wears a pump 24/7. She has had no problems adjusting. Why? Because her mom was smart enough to tell her to listen to two people. Her doctor and her nutritionist. So the best advice she gave me and I can pass this on to you, was this: listen to your doctor, your nutritionist and your body. It can, in most cases tell you when something is off. Just smile at the rest of them, go home and simply shake your head in utter disbelief, roll your eyes several times and do not open your mouth in front of them. You may need one or two of the idiots in the future!

(((hugs))) Sorry that you have so many people adding more stress right now.

You guys are a bit more nice than I'd be. LOL If someone asked me what I fed my child to cause a condition, I'd answer their question with a question: Why would you ask such an odd question??? (Leaves them speechless ~ then you can turn & walk away.)

Here are my comebacks to some of the other scenarios:

Jennie4PC said:
... there are herbs for her to take so she will be "cured" of diabetes. ...
"You might want to relay that one to the American Medical Association, because I don't think they know that yet."

Jennie4PC said:
...Then someone else told me I should stay away from the insulin and control it by diet. ...

another "You might want to relay that one to the American Medical Association, because I don't think they know that yet."

Jennie4PC said:
...Then the 1st person came back later and told me that immunizations did this to her. ...

another "You might want to relay that one to the American Medical Association, because I don't think they know that yet."

Jennie4PC said:
...And then yesterday someone asked me if they could send me info on diabetes. ...

"Her Dr. has given me more than I can probably read in a year."

Jennie4PC said:
...They then proceded to tell me that in Great Britian some people are going on a 30 day fast and curing type 1 diabets. ...
"Something tells me that wouldn't fly in the US. I like my daughter & would prefer to NOT have her taken by Child Protective Services."

Way to go Sheila! You're so good at that stuff!

My Dad was sarcastic, it's an inherited trait. ;)

Really great Sheila!!!

Thanks. I'm nice 99% of the time, but I can definitely be rude right back to people when it's justified. ;)

I can definitley relate to you. #1 I have a set of twin girls, one is normal size and one is 42 lbs. at 8 years old (we just started growth hormone shots) and people who KNOW they are twins will ask and I now just say, they are sister's that were born at the same time. Leaves them with a quizzed look on their face. #2 My son is on the autism spectrum and has Asperger's syndrome. If one more person asks "what is wrong with him"...
Sorry for my venting, but I can definitely relate to your hurt and frustrations. ((Hugs))

sherri lynn said:
...If one more person asks "what is wrong with him"...

The bigger question is what's wrong with the moron asking THAT question. :rolleyes: Some people just don't get how rude they really are sometimes. :(

(((hugs)))

my sil said that I feed her beans and chicken at the same meal. You guys have made me laugh. I dont know why I was so upset. I have to realize that one of the girls that told me 1/2 the stuff doesnt do drs. at all. her 12 yr old has never seen the dr outside of the hospital. But to each thier own

Nanisu said:
1) what I fed him to make him this way (I would tell them worms and pickles)

The correct answer is "at least I don't feed him whatever you were fed that makes you so nosy and rude!" People need to learn when to keep their mouths shut! Why does anyone feel that it's okay to say something like that? Even if they really believe it to be true, who says something to hurt someone else? And do they not think it will hurt you to think that you could have done something to cause it - which isn't the case, but that is what they are leading to.

Last edited:
My advice is: don't listen to them at all. Listen to your doctor and anyone else in the medical field and even then do what you feel is right! From my understanding (and I could be wrong) Type 1 can not be cured by diet alone, only Type 2 can. Do what you have to make this easier for your child. This is a big thing for a 7 year old to deal with. Screw what everyone else says! People are just rude. Some of my current encounters. I have a child who has ADD. I have been told, by a family member, not to feed him milk, not to give him vitamins, and no sugary food. Umm thanks, but he sees a doctor that specializes in ADD and she told me the only thing that will help him is his medication. (I was against meds from the day I found out.) Often people don't realize that there are different types of illnesses that require different treatments so while limiting sugar (which I do anyhow) will work for one child, it won't work for another. Same thing for Diabetes. Oh and even funnier- the same family member who told me to limit Josh's sugar intake- her husband gave him a full can of sugar ridden pop at a family picnic!! Even after I told him my kids are not allowed pop. Second encounter- I am pregnant with my 4th child and I carry very small. Between all the comments about this being my 4th child and if I am going to have any more or if I understand how this happens to being asked if I am fat or just pregnant, I am just so done with people! Can't we go back to if you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all??

Between all the comments about this being my 4th child and if I am going to have any more or if I understand how this happens

Eh....they're just jealous. Heck, I'm jealous. You are so lucky to have a 4th on the way!!!! Another person to love! Tell 'em you're shooting for 10 kids because things are cheaper by the dozen;)

type 2 diabetes can't be cured...it can be controlled by diet....if you go back to eating unhealthy your blood sugar gets right back up there and you need medicine again....and sometimes as you get older you will need medication again anyway....
~carla

Sorry to hear the news Jennie. I also like Beth's advice.Reading all these comments, I just wanted to share an odd thing that happened to me a couple weeks ago. I took my 11 yr old daughter with me to the grocery store and while we were shopping, some odd old man came up to us and told me that it's a shame my daughter has to wear glasses. "She's too young, that's a shame. You should be feeding her carrots and broccoli and other vegetables and vitamins to cure her...she's too young for glasses!" Oh brother!! :rolleyes: What a crazy guy. My daughter is actually the best eater in my family as far as eating her vegetables and taking her vitamins. They just inherited their fathers bad eye sight. ;)

carlajanes said:
type 2 diabetes can't be cured...it can be controlled by diet....if you go back to eating unhealthy your blood sugar gets right back up there and you need medicine again....and sometimes as you get older you will need medication again anyway....
~carla

I should have chosen my words more carefully, I know diabetes can't be cured. I meant Type 2 can be controlled better by diet than Type 1 can.

ShellBeach said:
Eh....they're just jealous. Heck, I'm jealous. You are so lucky to have a 4th on the way!!!! Another person to love! Tell 'em you're shooting for 10 kids because things are cheaper by the dozen;)

Thank you! I am going to tell anyone else who asks that we are shooting for 10! :chef:

It amazes me how rude people can be! Sheila I love your suggestions. I remember when I was pregnant I ended up with pre-eclampsia and had to be induced. When I started swelling, I remember people telling me that it was my fault that I ate too much salt, or just ate wrong.
I love the advice given and I pray that your daughter feels good and that as a family you can get the condition under control!

1. What did you do for your child to get type 1 diabetes?

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease and is not caused by anything that a parent does or does not do. It is not caused by diet, lifestyle choices, or immunizations. It is important to educate yourself and others about the true causes of type 1 diabetes to help reduce the stigma and misconceptions surrounding the disease.

2. Are there herbs or alternative treatments that can cure type 1 diabetes?

Unfortunately, there is currently no cure for type 1 diabetes. While there may be alternative treatments that can help with diabetes management, they should never be used in place of insulin therapy, which is the only effective treatment for type 1 diabetes.

3. Is it possible to control type 1 diabetes through diet alone?

Diet is an important aspect of diabetes management, but it cannot replace insulin therapy. Type 1 diabetes is a condition where the body does not produce insulin, so it is essential to supplement with insulin injections or an insulin pump. Cutting out all carbohydrates from the diet is not a safe or sustainable way to manage type 1 diabetes.

4. Can immunizations cause type 1 diabetes?

There is no proven link between immunizations and type 1 diabetes. The causes of type 1 diabetes are complex and involve a combination of genetic and environmental factors. It is important to trust the medical community and follow recommended immunization schedules to protect against preventable diseases.

5. Is it true that fasting can cure type 1 diabetes?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that fasting can cure type 1 diabetes. In fact, fasting can be dangerous for individuals with diabetes as it can lead to dangerously low blood sugar levels. Insulin therapy is the only effective treatment for type 1 diabetes and should never be replaced by alternative methods.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• julyskitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
julyskitchen
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • lockhartkitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies