• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Over $5000 Worth of Food Wasted!!

In summary, a walk-in cooler at work broke down and the food had to be thrown out. The staff was called in and not allowed in until further notice. The food supplier is taking two days to get to the store. There is no way to order food until the cooler is fixed. The summary ends with the receiver of the summary saying they hope the cooler is fixed soon.
rennea
Gold Member
Oh what a day! Our walk-in cooler at work broke down in the middle of the night. DH discovered it this morning and we can't get a part for it until the morning!! So all the food has to be tossed out:grumpy: We have insurance but still all that food to go in the rubbish and not to mention we are not open for business. Staff all have been called and told not to come in until further notice.

Our food supplier takes 2 days to get to us, and we can't order until we know for sure that the cooler is fixed. I could really cry at this point.:cry:

Please send good thoughts our way, we really need them:rolleyes:

What a shame! Sorry to hear that happened. Sending good thoughts your way...

Oh, man! That stinks. Sorry to hear it happened, and keeping good thoughts that the cooler is fixed soon!

Wow, that's terrible! I hope things move faster than expected so you can be up and running ASAP.

I am so sorry, I hope you are able to get all the money back from your insurance company.

Man that sucks!! I hate to hear of food wasting when so many have little. I hope they can get your replacement food to you quickly.

Was it all already all above temperature when he discovered it? Otherwise maybe there is something you can donate locally.So sorry to hear! I hope you get up and running real soon!You can put a temperature sensor on your coolers/freezers that would call you if a temperature goes out of a set range. PM me if you want more details. I just did this for our coolers/freezers at work because we had a cooler die a few weeks ago!

The cooler temp. was fine before closing. When DH went in this morning it was 8c. We had just received a food shipment so he waited a couple of minutes to see if it would go down. So the food that was just delivered was put into another cooler and was saved but the rest is to be tossed.

We check our temps on coolers a minimum 4 times a day, food temps are taken every 2 hours and recorded. We have very strict food safety procedures. The recording before leaving the store was fine :(

So very sorry Rennae - hope your insurance can help with some of the cost!

It happens fast! Glad you had a place for the delivery but sad to lose all that!

I hope you documented on video what was wasted for the insurance company? A detailed list might work, but video really shows how much was ruined.

If it wasn't in the danger zone yet, I'd have been cooking for the homeless!!!

Sheila said:
I hope you documented on video what was wasted for the insurance company? A detailed list might work, but video really shows how much was ruined.

If it wasn't in the danger zone yet, I'd have been cooking for the homeless!!!

Don't need to video tape it. My insurance agent told us we just need invoices for product purchased and an inventory list. It's already been sent in.

We just have to wait and see if we can get up and running. If not I might have to put in a claim for loss of revenue. Thank goodness for insurance!

I can feel some of your pain. While I did not lose $5000 worth of food, I did lose $500 worth this month. We had an ice storm that knocked out power to over 400K people and we were one of them. We had prepared for the storm and of course stocked up on groceries, not knowing that we would be losing power that night. With no power we could not even save the food by cooking it as we have an electric stove. We got our power back after 5 days but it got so cold in the house, actual temperature was 32F. There were some people who just got their power on yesterday. I think everyone is back to having power, no sure though; and it took over 2 weeks to do so. And now my refrigerator is still nearly bare as I have been out of work due to a back problem for 3 months (not workman's comp) and my bills are getting behind so can't even think about replacing my food yet. Living day by day. Wish there was an insurance for my loss of food LOL

I am so so sorry. DH and I use to run an ice cream store where we made the ice cream in shop. We had four industrial freezers FULL of ice cream when the power went out- we had to throw every bit of it away. It was awful... so I know a little bit about how it feels.

I really hope that it doesn't affect business too much!

Yakmama said:
I am so so sorry. DH and I use to run an ice cream store where we made the ice cream in shop. We had four industrial freezers FULL of ice cream when the power went out- we had to throw every bit of it away. It was awful... so I know a little bit about how it feels.

I really hope that it doesn't affect business too much!

How terrible, it is so bad when these things happen:yuck:

Update: It is up and running!!! Yahoo!!

Glad to hear it!

Related to Over $5000 Worth of Food Wasted!!

1. What does it mean to waste over $5000 worth of food?

Wasting over $5000 worth of food means that food items or ingredients with a total value of $5000 or more have been thrown away or gone to waste. This could be due to spoilage, expiration, or other reasons.

2. How does this happen?

There are many reasons why over $5000 worth of food may go to waste. Some common reasons include overstocking, improper storage, expiration dates not being checked, and food not being used before it spoils.

3. Is this a common problem?

Unfortunately, food waste is a very common problem. According to the USDA, about 30-40% of the food supply in the United States goes to waste each year. This amounts to approximately $161 billion worth of food.

4. How can we prevent this from happening?

There are several ways to prevent over $5000 worth of food from going to waste. These include properly storing food, regularly checking expiration dates, accurately tracking inventory, and finding creative ways to use leftovers or excess ingredients.

5. How can Pampered Chef help with reducing food waste?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of products and tools that can help with reducing food waste. Our storage containers and tools are designed to keep food fresh for longer periods of time. We also offer recipe ideas that can help use up excess ingredients and reduce food waste in the kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pamperedalf
  • rennea
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
baychef
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat