• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Organizing a Small Desk Top: Solutions for "Flat Surface Disease

In summary, Dr. Susan Dellinger's book, "Psycho Geometrics: The New Way to Organize Your Life" is a book about using a personality type to organize your life.
quiverfull7
Gold Member
Okay... I'm a confessed reforming pack rat and my husband says I have "flat surface disease" ... thus it's VERY hard for me to keep my desk and work area organized and clear... which makes productive work more time consuming. I looked just a bit at OD yesterdaybut I don't even know where to begin. I need some help on WHAT to use to organize my space which is VERY LIMIITED and shared by my family as well. I have a very small desk but am blessed with a thin monitor so the only other thing that has to be on the desk top is my phone charger. My fax/copier/printer is off to the side on a file cabinet that is for me. I have 3 very small drawers that I need to purge again but they don't hold much. SO.. I need to have help on the TOP of the desk. I MUST discipline myself to file things right away b/c that is what causes most of the clutter but there are some things. ..like a PC CATALOG that I would like to keep at my fingertips. ANYONE who had suggestions of what type of thing to put on my desk to help me out .. that would be AWESOME! I've just put EVERYTHING in a big bag to sort out while we watch TV later so I'm wanting to start out fresh.

A few months ago there was an thread on this complete with pictures. Might want to search the pictures to get some ideas.

Yes... I remember the thread.... I'll see if I can find it. I'm very interested in what kind of desktop organizer system others here have found helpful.

The title of this thread confused me. "Desk" and "organization" are two words that don't usually go together in my house. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how to link files, but I searched files for "desk" & those were the pictures that I remembered. Wish my desk looked like that!!! You can link to the parent thread from the pictures.

Thanks! I will check them out ... and YES ANN... I understand but I must admit that sitting here with virtually NOTHING on the desk is a pretty calming feeling so I may just have to work harder at this! All I had before was a tunnel to the monitor!

Oh Jilleysue where are you??????

Diane, i have your same problem. BUT yesterday I managed to consolidate some piles. And I know this is going to sound crazy, but I got the most work done while I was on the phone with a friend. Instead of taking time looking at EACH piece of paper (that should've been tossed MONTHS ago), I was actually more focused on my task.
I'm happy to report that the boxes of supplies have now been put away, and they (boxes) left the house FULL of garbage! I'm determined to start my year organized, to the best of my ability, and KEEP a clean work area.

chefann said:
The title of this thread confused me. "Desk" and "organization" are two words that don't usually go together in my house. :rolleyes:
The Organization of Desks, or OD, was a division of the AFL/CIO and was a labor union of desks. Once large companies eliminated desks in favor of cube systems with "work surfaces" instead of desks, there became fewer and fewer working members of OD, and it collapsed into the past with the Union of Buggy Whip Wrights.

Oh KG... leave it to you to bring some fun to a bad job!!!!!!!

Here's something I used once to get squared away. Buy yourself some of those smaller sized, post-it flags like people use to mark book pages. For one month, everything you use on your desk gets a flag stuck on it. They are small enough you can be creative to where they don't all stand out. But at the end of the month, everything without a flag can be evaluated as far as it's real estate worth on your desk top.

... Worked for me...

VERY interesting!!!!!! I will make that part of my desk rebirth ... honestly that's what it feels like to see the top of this desk after so long! I'll probably get really *itchy about anyone putting ANYTHING on it now! :)

Dr. Susan Dellinger used to be the head of human resources at a very large corporation, ,and one day, decided she had enough and quit it all. As she says, she immediately became the president and CEO of Susan Dellinger & Associates.Anyway, she created something called "Psycho Geometrics" which is like Meyers-Briggs but a lot more fun!So, are you a box, a rectangle, triangle, circle or a squiggle? What your desk looks like might be a reflection of your geometric shape!See Psycho Geometrics and take the test to see.

That was fun. I'm a circle. The really interesting thing is that the areas of concern for the circle are some of the very areas on which I've worked over the last several years (like avoiding conflict/backing down).While it's not a perfect description of me, it comes pretty close.

I had you pegged as a circle/squiggle a long time ago. :)

How wonderful it is to be known and loved for exactly who I am. :)

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!! This is TOO COOL! I cannot WAIT to have my husband do this too! I'm a circle with a rectangle inside... I LOVED reading the results... it's amazing how all but just a couple things were exactly me! :)

I decided to retake it. (Nope. Not obsessive at all. Why do you ask?) I'm a circle/squiggle or circle/triangle. The funny thing is that the same statement applies. The areas they say I need to watch for are the ones I've been working on.One big exception: I'm extremely organized. I'm not neat, but I'm organized. As a result, I'm very rarely late.

Interesting.. I'm a circle+box+squiggle... does it show? LOL

Does that make you a square peg in a round hole?

I would predict that almost everyone in this thread, and probably this site, is of the non-linear shapes. Boxes may hang around the fringes but triangles don't have time for foolishness like this. ;)

I took it again and got circle/squiggle... apparently the box is not strong within me. LOL

raebates said:
Does that make you a square peg in a round hole?
I don't even think I'm a peg... :rolleyes: LOL

lkprescott said:
I took it again and got circle/squiggle... apparently the box is not strong within me. LOL
Box is learned behavior for you, that's why it doesn't dominate.

Meanwhile in all this fun... MY DESK STILL HAS NO ORGANIZER ON IT!!!!!! I guess it should be a circular one with a rectangle center!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it's not learned.. I AM a Virgo.. but my propensity to hoard (it's the dragon in me) overrides my space and the ability to keep things organized. Now at work? I had no problems but at home? A whole 'nother story and now that I work at home? Those worlds have collided. LOL... and I too am a mess desk-aholic... I struggle daily with the piles that collect... and I'm always putting off needing to file, store and properly take care of things. Yet, in the kitchen, my spices are alphabetized.... yeah... weird world I inhabit at times.

Yup - yer a squiggle, alright.And I'm a dragon, too, for whatever that's worth.

quiverfull7 said:
Meanwhile in all this fun... MY DESK STILL HAS NO ORGANIZER ON IT!!!!!! I guess it should be a circular one with a rectangle center!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My hubby attempted to help me once and got me one of those little plastic drawer thingies that one could organize paper and such in. I'm thinking of getting another one but for all my organizers, I still have a mess... I have plenty of pen holders, drawers, et al... and I know how to use them, something in my brain keeps me from that though and in an odd way I find some organization in my chaos.

Have you ever been more unorganized for organizational efforts? I have.. and it's almost made me swear off trying to stay organized! LOL... perhaps we just need to start a support group. LOL

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Yup - yer a squiggle, alright.

And I'm a dragon, too, for whatever that's worth.

Then it's a compliment from the likes of you.. LOL... dragons are good... we hoard yes, but are passionate about what we believe in and like shiny things... like knight in armor - they're crunchy and go well with ketchup... :p

Poor Diane - her thread has been completely hijacked by squiggles.I'm going to start a separate thread for this.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Dr. Susan Dellinger used to be the head of human resources at a very large corporation, ,and one day, decided she had enough and quit it all. As she says, she immediately became the president and CEO of Susan Dellinger & Associates.

Anyway, she created something called "Psycho Geometrics" which is like Meyers-Briggs but a lot more fun!

So, are you a box, a rectangle, triangle, circle or a squiggle? What your desk looks like might be a reflection of your geometric shape!

See Psycho Geometrics and take the test to see.
Leave it to KG to suggest this and then not tell us what he is!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Poor Diane - her thread has been completely hijacked by squiggles.

I'm going to start a separate thread for this.

Please DON'T worry about me... I'm just teasing... and basking in the reflection of my desk top... which if I don't get help will not be seen for too very long so I better just sit here and enjoy! :)
However many others who don't understand DISORGANIZATION may never open this thread so it may be helpful to some to entitle a new thread about the circles and squiggles amoung us!

sfdavis918 said:
Leave it to KG to suggest this and then not tell us what he is!
Like you can't tell?

The whole idea of Psycho Geometrics is to learn to recognize the other shapes and adjust your communication style to best keep channels open.

For example, squiggles and boxes do not get along in the workplace very well. It's up to the box to try to see things from the squiggle's viewpoint although it's easier for most squiggles to understand the box.

And circles get along with just about everyone - that's why they make great diplomats.

OMGs, I just read the description about triangles and that's one of my old bosses to a T! He also enjoyed M/B type tests... even had us take an office version to find out who/what we were... it was a lot of fun and actually did help. I can be a lot more forgiving to someone who has a characteristic versus thinking someone's just doing something to get on my nerves. LOL... I even bought a book about figuring out your kids so they'll drive you less nuts but that was less successful. LOL...

lkprescott said:
OMGs, I just read the description about triangles and that's one of my old bosses to a T! He also enjoyed M/B type tests... even had us take an office version to find out who/what we were... it was a lot of fun and actually did help. I can be a lot more forgiving to someone who has a characteristic versus thinking someone's just doing something to get on my nerves. LOL... I even bought a book about figuring out your kids so they'll drive you less nuts but that was less successful. LOL...

"Never attribute to malice what can easily be explained by ignorance." --Anonymous

Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids.

I'm a circle! The part about wanting to work in comfort and preferring a big cushy arm chair to a desk is me to a T! (which is why I'm typing this sprawled across my bed. well, that plus my desk is currently covered in yarn.)

lkprescott said:
Well, it's not learned.. I AM a Virgo.. but my propensity to hoard (it's the dragon in me) overrides my space and the ability to keep things organized. Now at work? I had no problems but at home? A whole 'nother story and now that I work at home? Those worlds have collided. LOL... and I too am a mess desk-aholic... I struggle daily with the piles that collect... and I'm always putting off needing to file, store and properly take care of things. Yet, in the kitchen, my spices are alphabetized.... yeah... weird world I inhabit at times.

Sounds just like me, too! People at work are down right stunned to learn that my home is a mess... although, my spices are organized and I get really upset if someone puts away the kids clothes in the wrong place. My own closet is a disaster, but my kids closets (not the rest of their rooms, just their closets) are VERY organized. Very weird world...

katie0128 said:
Sounds just like me, too! People at work are down right stunned to learn that my home is a mess... although, my spices are organized and I get really upset if someone puts away the kids clothes in the wrong place. My own closet is a disaster, but my kids closets (not the rest of their rooms, just their closets) are VERY organized. Very weird world...

Lisa and Katie! I've found others like me! This is so exciting to know I am not alone.:)

I love to organize - one thing at a time, that is. Right now, my son's toys are extremely well organized, and so is my stoneware, and my spices. Actually, my spices usually are, unless I get in a cooking frenzy, and then it all gets destroyed. I'll get one thing organized, and then I always say to myself that THIS TIME it's going to stay this way - and it does for a while. Usually until I get something else organized. And when I clean. I start from the inside out. If my closets and cupboards are clean and organized - THEN I can start working on the outward stuff. Now - if I could just figure out a way for it to all happen at the same time!

quiverfull7 said:
Yes... I remember the thread.... I'll see if I can find it. I'm very interested in what kind of desktop organizer system others here have found helpful.

I remember early part of this year we had a huge chat about organization of our desks and our work areas. I used alot of those suggestions including binders, and small covered file boxes. Although I don't use them for my PC business as I put my apron up, I now use them for my quilt teaching/pattern business I started up this year and I must say they are working out great. I have a few more things I want to do in the new year to make me all the more organized, but right now I am up to my eyeballs in getting classes ready for January and finish making my Christmas gifts!! I did start a new book to organize myself with all the gifts I have made over the years and who got what each year so I know not to make and give the same thing twice!! LOL.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Dr. Susan Dellinger used to be the head of human resources at a very large corporation, ,and one day, decided she had enough and quit it all. As she says, she immediately became the president and CEO of Susan Dellinger & Associates.

Anyway, she created something called "Psycho Geometrics" which is like Meyers-Briggs but a lot more fun!

So, are you a box, a rectangle, triangle, circle or a squiggle? What your desk looks like might be a reflection of your geometric shape!

See Psycho Geometrics and take the test to see.

I'm a circle too!! hee hee

[mini hijack]Aggi - where ya been? Nice to see you posting again![/mini hijack]

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
[mini hijack]

Aggi - where ya been? Nice to see you posting again!

[/mini hijack]

Kitchen Guy I have been up to my eyeballs in threads, fabrics and lesson plans!!! I started up my own quilt teaching and pattern business. That has always been my first love. The PC apron had to be placed on the back burner for a bit. I still dabble in the recipes and play in the kitchen with my PC products every day!! I haven't been to this site in AGES... I thought it was due time. I also started a new job back in July and have been involved with several things with the organization too. I love my job and I love my business.. I have missed you all and hope to come in here again to keep chatting.. I just hoped I wont' be shunned for not being a PC Chef anymore :(

Cheers
Andrea

No one would ever have known if you hadn't told us. ;)Welcome back!

Bet you can't guess what I am.

Jilleysue said:
Jilly good to see you pop in around here, if even for a sec!;)

Jilleysue said:

Strictly personality, I'd say squiggly because it is such a fun shape.

But, knowing your organization, you are such a box!

Hi Diane,

I just had a conference call with my team and you may like what was mentioned. They use a shoe organizer... that hangs from a door... with all the pockets... to put alot of the PC stuff in, business cards, postcards, stickers, all sorts of odd-and-ins, etc. Thought you may find this useful!

1. What is the best way to organize a small desk top?

The best way to organize a small desk top is to use desk organizers such as trays, file holders, and pencil cups to keep items in designated areas. You can also use a desk caddy or hanging organizers to save space. Make sure to also regularly declutter and purge unnecessary items.

2. How can I prevent "flat surface disease" on my desk?

To prevent "flat surface disease" on your desk, make a habit of filing away papers and items immediately after use. Use a designated spot for important items that you need to keep at your fingertips, such as a desk tray or wall organizer. Regularly declutter and assess what items are necessary to keep on your desk.

3. What are some good organizing solutions for a shared desk?

For a shared desk, consider using desk organizers with multiple compartments or dividers to keep each person's items separate. You can also use color-coded trays or labels to designate each person's space. Make sure to communicate with your family members to establish and maintain an organized and clutter-free desk space.

4. How can I utilize a small desk with limited space?

If you have a small desk with limited space, consider using vertical organizers such as shelves or wall pockets to maximize space. You can also use a rolling cart or portable desk organizer that can easily be moved when not in use. Utilize the space under your desk for storage with bins or baskets.

5. What is the best way to maintain an organized desk?

The key to maintaining an organized desk is to regularly declutter and reassess what items are necessary to keep on your desk. Make sure to have designated spots for important items and regularly file away papers. Set aside a specific time each week to declutter and organize your desk to avoid "flat surface disease."

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampermejolene
  • quiverfull7
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jules711
  • PampMomof3